EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous thread: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question:
What is your most obscure commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ship-parts-and-a-beautiful-mechanic/
edhrec.com/top
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/akiri-sidar-naya-artifact-tokens-edh-4/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What is your most obscure commander?

TORSTEN
VON
URSUS

basically silly humans tribal

Gwendlyn Di Corci. Grixis disruption.

Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas

Asking again
Does anyone have any suggestions for my deck? Is pic related worth adding and what should I cut in favor of it?
The deck:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ship-parts-and-a-beautiful-mechanic/

Not super obscure, but Ishkanah Grafwidow golgari graveyard shenanigans/spider tribal

Is it just me, or does Rivals look great for EDH?

Also I havent played since Shadows Over Innistrad, recommend me a commander that's been released since then. Anything goes.

Dubs is an instant win

Gonti, and yes, enchantments that take a lot of effort to transform into flashy lands are very much Spirit of EDH.

Probably either Avacyn' guardian angel banding or Zo Zu fuck your mana

You should really describe your deck more in the description instead of just expecting people to look at it and know what you were thinking with card choices

>Thread Question
Horobi, Death's Wail. Ridiculous amounts of jank

Horde of Notions. Elemental tribal jank with a heavy side of C O N T R O L

>thread question
It's not that obscure, but it's definitely it's own type of deck.

I enjoy it, I don't think I'll ever disassemble this goober

what exactly does it do

also decklist if you have one

Post list

I want to get down with some mono-blue weirdness

>thread question
Defiantly this guy, which was my first EDH deck. I liked him, but after getting some other decks, I barely ever play him, and have it partially disassembled. I keep meaning to replace him with some generic Big Mana Black deck, but I haven't gotten around to it. Major problems include being too reliant on the general in order to get going, and having the same plan as a Krenko deck but being worse at it.

Yeah, I suppose so. The deck just comes to me so naturally that I really didn't think of that, or people actually bothering to read the descriptions.

Any spice for this chick? I'm aware of Caltrops and the like.

What are some good artifacts that ping?

Hard Mode: What would a good Artificer's Intuition package look like?

None of the links answer this; what are staples of EDH across all decks? Things like Sol Ring or Command Tower.

>What are some good artifacts that ping?
Tower of Calamities/Aladdin's Ring, expensive to use though.

edhrec.com/top

Basic lands

The only set of Partner cards that ever even somewhat interested me.
Still need to take a look at Ixalan and Rivals cards to see what might be able to fit in.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/akiri-sidar-naya-artifact-tokens-edh-4/

QUICK QUESTION:
Do Earthcraft and Prismatic Omen combo together?

>Thread question

Used to be Zegana for tribal when everyone played Sygg. Now Simic Mer is just as, if not more common.

Now days it's probably Korlash tribal.

Staff of Nin, Blasting Station, Masticore, Rod of Ruin, Walking Ballista

No? I'm not sure what kind of combo you're asking about since all those two do together is make your lands all 5 basic types (and thus tap for 1 of any color) and let you tap a creature to untap a land.
If what you're asking is if you can use Omen to let you untap lands that are non-Basic, no. Omen does not make them Basic in any way. Omen just gives your lands the subtypes, just as, for example, shock lands have two of the subtypes but are not Basic themselves.

No, just because they have every basic land type doesn't mean they have the basic supertype. It just means that in addition to everything else they can tap for one of any color, because they're Plains/Island/Swamp/Mountain/Forests.

most people go for 4color goodstuffs, if only to splash that one color. three is fine and two color is doable. later this year might bring more partners.

>Artificer's Intuition

Not pinging, but some of my hidden tech that I haven't seen other use is Book of Rass. It is a "Wurmcoil" that draws you cards. Don't forget stuff that protects her, because when she is gone, you just end up playing a bad Sharuum deck.

Thanks!

If you're going full jank, go Volatile Rig

Tell me more.

If more Partner means more disappointments like the massive failure that was Ludevic, or more and more literally who characters from only the most recent planes like the original set, then no thanks.

>Book of Rass
Mah nigga. I use that shit in my Mono-W Soul Sisters Life Gain EDH.

>thread question
either Dosan (mono-green enchantress) or Barrin (control/steal/value), though considering there's absolutely no consensus of Dosan on EDHREC I'm leaning towards that for most obscure commander in my collection

Anyone have a flavor list for pic related?

well, we DID get the ludivic we wanted...
just not the one we deserve... to be legal

I want to build Titania. How many basics should I be running compared to utility like fetches or LD fun?

You can print this out to use as bribery tokens. Also saw a guy make his own tokens that were physical little bags that he brought with the deck, but I can't find any pictures of it.

>Got a book I already had for christmas
>Wanna trade it for either Ixalan or Unstable, only two Ixalan left on the book shop, no Unstable at all
>Get a Growing Rite, a Primal Amulet and a Heart of Kiran on the Kaladesh boosters

fuck this went much better than expected considering all they had were christmas booster scraps.

tfw theres 3 saskia decks in my LGS meta :/

>playing everything but blue
It's like they want to lose

So I'm relatively new to Commander, been playing a cheaply modified Edgar Markov deck(Ixalan and recent set cheap vamp upgrades) and I want to build a deck. I've been having fun with Edgar but the moment someone drops a boardwipe I'm fucked and the fun stops. What I want is something more flexible and laid back that allows me to stay in the game for long while annoying the other players.

I've been eyeing Eight and a Half Tails, is it a fun commander and in the playstyle I'm aiming for?

Eight-and-a-Half Tails is a comfy commander with a lot of build flexibility, my build is goodstuff with control leanings and a good amount of creatures with flash along with additional damage prevention effects and Pentarch Paladin. keep in mind that mono-white is terrible for card draw and ramping however, you really want to run a lot of mana rocks (especially Mind Stone and Hedron Archive), any combination of Oreskos Explorer/Tithe/Knight of the White Orchid/Weathered Wayfarer/Gift of Estates and Mind's Eye, Staff of Nin and The Immortal Sun to get something resembling card draw, along with Alms Collector and Spirit of the Labyrinth to stop the other colours from outdrawing you

>the moment someone drops a boardwipe I'm fucked
Learn to not overextend

For a deck with annoying staying power I'd actually recommend Thassa. People play her as Leviathan/Kraken/Octopus/Serpent tribal, but she's well suited for an under the radar grindy control game, stopping people from ending things, building up consistent value, and then taking over the game once everyone else is out of resources.

also consider Burnished Hart, Solemn Simulacrum and Myriad Landscape for additional ramp

So..

How high is the chance that commander 2018 is gonna have eminence again?

Eminence is a mechanic that should've never been invented

>the moment someone drops a boardwipe I'm fucked and the fun stops
C A R D D R A W

>something more flexible and laid back that allows me to stay in the game for long while annoying the other players
reanimation or spellslinger, relying on the battlefield to win is for brainlets

I am thinking of making a "lands matter" EDH deck and I feel Zacama would be a fun commander to ramp into, however I don't feel white offers much, outside of Emeria Shepherd, Terra Eternal, and Karametra, God of Harvests. Would I better off running some Gruul commander and ignore the "cool factor" a 3-headed 9/9 has?

People were saying 2017 was guaranteed to be Partners. There's a 0 percent chance that '18 will be Eminence.

Isn't reanimator technically "relying on the battlefield?" Or are you just abusing ETB effects?

I bet they'll switch it up, and have partners
with eminence

100% guaranteed. It'll also have Partner, Experience counters, Planeswalker commanders, abilities that care about how much mana you spend when casting your commander and activated abilities in the command zone.

Archangel avacyn. It used to be kalemne bad beats but we used to play secret teams wrong so I had to make changes.

Nah. Planeswalker partners.

ETB and LTB effects, with some sacrifice to make sure that things hit the graveyard.
You're not truly playing reanimator until your opponents say "it doesn't matter if I try to remove that thing, it's gonna come back anyway".

That sounds... tasty. Who'd be a good general? Chainer looks pretty bonkers

>mfw getting Bomberman off on T1

My group's mad at me now

There was a thread on
>MtgSalvation
on Dosan years ago that had him as a green "Rainbow" deck, whereas it used cards back when Green didn't know what the fuck it was until it figured out it was "big creatures fight shit roar". I'm talking Revelation (Green Telepathy), Storm Seeker (Green Sudden Impact), Tornado/Desert Twister (Vindicate) and the like. It's something I'd like to do one day.

my pie chart colors have been going crazy today on tapped out

you need to be prepared for boardwipes. teferi's protection is the answer.

it depends on how many ramp spells you have. in my gitrog deck i run 10 basics just to suit ramp/fetches. i think you'd probably end up runing like 15 basics? don't really know. just goldfish it.

26 ish

>Sacred Ground
>Terra Eternal

we have a prominent 1v1 player base at my LGS, so its sucks to face her

Mimeoplasm, Karador, Meren, Scarab God, Sedris, Ayli etc.

Pretty much anything works as long as you have either reanimation or repeatable sacrifice in the command zone.

>they print two Partner commanders with eminence abilities that combo off each other for a turn 1 infinites every time
>won't be banned for 4 months

should my theme for kumena be +1/+1 tribal, or what?

>a prominent 1v1 player base at my LGS
You poor fucker. Get them into some pods like normal people.

i bet for C18 we'll get card type matters commanders. artifacts, enchantments, creatures, and spells.

>Should my theme for the Merfolk lord to end all Merolk lords be +1/+1 tribal
user you may be retarded.

i’d run at least 50 lands. just fill in the empty slots.

pic related is an all-star btw

>50 lands
oh god why.

Titania, Gitrog Monster, and Omnath, Locus of Rage all rely on lands for their strats, so they usually run a lot more than other decks usually would. Especially since they're all part G and can ramp them out easy.

all of them should run ~40. 50 is too much.

When I played Titania, I ran 43 total lands, 13 of which were basic Forests. Anything over 45 total would feel like too much.

Should high tier casual EDH decks contain infinite combos?

Also I forgot Borborygmos Enraged.

It depends I suppose. All of my non-land-focused decks always have 34 lands, so I guess somewhere in the 40-50 would be good for land-based decks.

>high tier casual
Nani?
Yes.

also pilgrims eye

Oh we play multi, dont you worry, its just we play 1v1 too. Kinda nifty to be honest, going head to head when both of you are running some whacky stuff

>tfw sunscorched desert is my wincon

>high tier casual EDH decks
Elaborate.

>combo win
>litrilly the worst way to win

They aren't competitive but they aren't durdly horse shit. They're just under competitive level. Nothing crazy expensive, no turn 3 infinite wins, etc. I'd say the power level is similar to what we tend to see on the Game Knights EDH games.

>Bear Tribal
outside the box

Gotta be Veeky Forums's pet Mono-Red Commander.

All you need is 51 life and a dream.

>morfolk put counters on each other
>kumena likes to put counters on everyone
>it’s what simic does besides ramp
>not being able to infer i’m running merfolk based on the commander alone

it could be you who is retarded, user

...Bomberman? Is this a Hidetsugu list?

I traded non-RL cards for a Serra's Sanctum tonight. Feels great

NO ONE CARES XDDD

Seriously though, play modern. Better format.

Bomberman is Auriok Salvagers and Lion's Eye Diamond for infinite mana, with Pyrite Spellbomb to end the game.

No, it's the Bomberman combo from Vintage/Legacy with Pyrite Spellbomb burning everyone out.

10/13 feels like too little compared to all the ramp spells that only let you grab basics. Goldfishing someone else's list I would consistently get at least 15 basics out. I know >goldfishing meaning anything, but I feel it's a valid concern in the deck that's built to abuse things like myriad landscape, blighted woodland, fetchlands and their strictly worse counterparts, and runs a ton of ramp spells that specifically only let you grab basics.

"Reservoir ability on the stack, I scoop."

I would play modern or even standard if I could reliably make it to an event each week. I play sporadically so a format I don't have to keep track of is best for me. I do get really tired of EDH's anti-competition playerbase sometimes

Cyclonic Rift is the stupidest fucking card. Surprised it isn't banned yet.
Not even limited to sorcery speed.

>commander has multiple printings
>don't know what I want a foil version or a non-english version or even a non-english foil version

SO MANY OPTIONS

Anyone making pirates after Rivals drops?

You always pick the oldest available English printing of a card, foil if available. Only a Masterpiece can trump the oldest printing. You never go non-English

Does anyone have any meme combos with this guy?