/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
She even cleans her mech like that too, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-12-28 - Still getting worked on & now has 21476 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-01-02!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/comments/1nay0u/anywhere_to_still_get_a_decent_copy_of_mw4_mercs/cch2fxh/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rate my purchase, /btg/.

POST YOUR FAVORITE MECH, YOU HOMOS.

concern/10

I don't like that Catapult.

I saw "WKGames" and my mind registered it as "WIZKangs"

Tough shit, now post your favorite mech.

Why? Far Country? I wanted it to make memes about with my buddies.

>picrelated

Mechs are for faggots. The only good part of the Battletech universe is the infantry and vehicles. Anyone who just owns Mechs is a munchkin faggot. Post your vees or GTFO.

:^)

It varies between the Vindi, Catapult, Sling, Locust, and Raven. I'm a slut, wanna fight about it?

Quadvees; wat do?

I got no idea why, I just like the cockpit design I guess.

It's the only piece by Lewis I really like and it's still not Mackie enough.

I'm pretty transparent about my love for the classic mechs.

Not even going to lie my dude. This is it

Time to post bestMackie.

Ah, yes. The good 'ol Jumbo Shrimp.

spicy opinion my dude

Honestly, I dig the Roughneck. I love the idea of industrial mechs being retrofitted to run as battlemechs.

>I'm a slut, wanna fight about it?
No. I'm sure you fight with yourself plenty already.

Fair enough, my man.

It's because it's got a dick-gun, isn't it. Don't lie.

/b/tard, is that you?

Well it's not canon so I can't slap it in a book and call it good. It's a goddamn shame that the LibTerra books didn't include even one fucking Mackie.

CA, you know that it's a god damn crime that the Mackie ever left production. Why would they stop making the best mech ever?

>/b/tard, is that you?

Yeah lol. I should start namefagging or something

>post vees

Far bottom right, below the LRM carriers in the back, what are those? Heavy LRM carriers?

>It's because it's got a dick-gun, isn't it. Don't lie.
It's because it's the purest expression of Jacob Cameron's "fuck everybody up, possibly with a suplex if you can manage it" personality.

Because Amaris had a tiny peepee and blew up all the factories, or turned them over to making the Matar or something.

>company of Karnov URs
>"Ride of the Valkyries" plays harder

best splat/10

Ok here it is

there any drac versions of these?

>I'm pretty transparent about my love for the classic mechs.
How about the new version?

>namefagging
Nah. I've just been around for you showing up and your little journey. I remember you posting about the Rifleman, so that's why I asked- jokingly, but evidently I was right.

Question, have you played MW4: Mercs? They released it a while back for free, and if you do a bit of digging you can find the download for it.

he's a big gun

Ah, yes. The Banana.

Yeah, Heavy LRM carriers.

>1st row (down camera)
Coolant Trucks, Scorpions (x2 Drillsons behind them), Regulators, Hetzers, Vedettes, Vedettes, Hvy LRM carriers.

>2nd row
Long Toms & Ammo trucks, Demolishers (2), Maxim APCs, SRM Carriers, Schrecks, LRM Carriers

>Back
Planetary Defense Lasers, Karnov URs, x2 Cavalry VTOLs, x2 Yellow Jacket VTOLS, more Karnovs.

I've got a company each of J Edgars, Savannah Masters, and Pegasi floating around somewhere in a box, but I'm out of shelf space.

>Half Machine Gun Ammo EXPLODES! 200 DAMAGE!
So wait, why the fuck would you ever run an MG on anything but a light? This seems like a terrible idea considering one ammo detonation and your piddly machinegun cost you the entire mech.

I do not like it. Perhaps it is a dickwaving thing but the guns are not big and sexy enough.

My journey to becoming a butternerd continues my man. I played Mechwarrior 3 on my dad's computer when I was a kid but never 4. Will hunt it down

Nah, don't bother namefagging, we'll figure out who you are via your post style. And hey, liking the Rifleman is legit. One of my favorite minis and mech arts ever is the Primitive Rifleman (pic related).

I loved Amaris (he did nothing wrong) but the Matar was completely retarded and it led directly to the Omega, which is also retarded (but in a charming way).

>I forgot pic related

Nice Destroid Defender user

Can't tell if really big Cata or really smol boi

>No. I'm sure you fight with yourself plenty already.
I can't even deny this.

Does anyone not playing stock 3025 mechs still put MGs on their mechs?

There's literally nothing mech-mounted MGs do that another weapon doesn't do better.

The PAFapult and the PAFcher want words with you, sir.

Refresh my memory please.

The primitive does not skip chest day. Pretty cool but I still don't like the guns

Also funny story. I work at a garage like I said in another thread and I've been telling the people I work with about Battletech. One guy wanted to know why you didn't just wait for the pilots to get out then shoot them. This kind of cholo guy who doesn't talk a lot piped in with "You do that if you're a pussy. Dude steps at you in a transformer, you step HARD." and went back to changing oil

I will agree that Flamers are better than MGs in terms of infantry control, since they can also start screening fires. However, the best infantry suppression weapon costs you 2 tons and it's the SRM2 loaded with Infernos so you can set fires and kill the shits from outside their effective combat range to boot.

Remove MGs, acquire flamers. Kills more infantry, and for an added bonus you can set turret-twerps woods hexes on fire.

I hope that you, and by extention all others here, can forgive the posting of The Reddit. However, it's got a link to the download. reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/comments/1nay0u/anywhere_to_still_get_a_decent_copy_of_mw4_mercs/cch2fxh/

:^)

Ah, yes! Just like that! You're doing damage to my MEN!
They're in the open so it's DOUBLED!

If you had to recommend five BattleTech novels to a friend who is unfamiliar, but tentatively interested, in the idea of the setting, what would you recommend? Keeping in mind that they are a heavy reader.

It has a niche, albeit a tiny one. Zero heat damage at knife range, optimally torso mounted so you can shoot along with a physical attack (and crit pack it’s ammo). As many torso MGs + 1/2 mg ammo is better than any melee weapon (though bland).

Wolves on the Border
Star Lord
The Hunters
Sword and Fire
Shadows of War

objectively the best BT books

What I don't understand is why MGs don't get a to-hit bonus as they fire rapidly as well.

Last thread just said Wolves on the Border was a 3.5/5.

>finally bring my weapons to bear on an enemy who has been persistently hammering me
>bring down an absolute torrent of fire
>hit him in the head repeatedly with missiles
>he blacks out (3 on a 5 roll)
>falls over, smashes his head into the ground and gets crushed by his cockpit caving in on him
Man, it's satisfying in text. But could you imagine a fully immersive Battletech VR experience where you actually get to watch it play out?

I disagree. I consider it a good BT book.

That’d break the “lasers are always better than ballistics” meta AND would retcon every pre-Invasion mech with an MG. If MGs (or flamers) got a pulse laser like to-hit bonus they’d be too good.

I think 3.5/5 is generous on an absolute scale for SF in general, but for BT fiction Wolves on the Boarder is like 9,999,999,999,999.99/5. There's a lot that's worse and anything better is only arguably rather than objectively so.

I would recommend Exodus Road, The Hunters, Sword and Fire, Shadows of War, and Wolves on the Border. Star Lord is like the old DragonLance novels, it's quite clearly a novelisation of someone's home campaign, replete with the N+1 ultimate bad guy and that one asshat who won't make a character that fits in with the rest of the group.

As a fiction novel it has some real weak spots, but as a BT novel it’s better than most and offers a uniquely full view of the Dracs & Goons.

But you might not want to trust the opinion of an user with Decision at Thunder Rift in his tight 5.

Don't know about the others, but Far Country is totally worth a read. Not because it's good, but because it's funny.

Well looking at that liquid metal ankle joint, clearly that's my new favorite

What's the stug clone?

Side ways/10

If you want guns bigger than that then you don't care about ammo feeds making any sense

I meant longer senpai. My bad

I have nothing against ebin reddit. Will try to get this working on my jank ass laptop

Implying having Decision at Thunder Rift in your top 5 isn't patrician taste.

>Star Lord is like the old DragonLance novels, it's quite clearly a novelisation of someone's home campaign, replete with the N+1 ultimate bad guy and that one asshat who won't make a character that fits in with the rest of the group.
I love it and that's a completely true depiction of it.

The set-up is pretty easy and, if I'm honest, the game runs better on my PC than a lot of shit I've gotten off GOG and Steam. A lot of older games shit the bed when you tab out, and I don't think MW4:Mercs has ever done that to me. It sometimes has issues with cutscenes blacking out for a second, probably related to tabbing out, but I think (with the exception of Half-Life 1 and 2) it might be the most stable game I've got.

Meet the Gunapult.

The greatest thing to ever roll off a Quikscell construction line: the Hetzer.

Shit, this one also meant for you.

Is the Gunapult the closest we can get to a mech that shoots bees?

Hetzers. They're wheeled though

One Machine Gun does 2 damage.
10 machine guns would therefore do 20 damage.
Is this a ghetto AC/45 Catapult that has like 2 hexes of range?

Is it time for PaF? Just cooked this guy up as the mid-level antagonist in an Outback-type campaign.

do u kno de way
de way of de clans

>ISP

You done good, son.

>I meant longer senpai.

Not that I disagree with you one bit. There's a slight taper to the cannon barrel, which is a pain in the butt to photoshop it compared to a straight barrel. I'll work on it tomorrow if I can. Maybe it can be an RFL-3N (C) with some proper upgrades...giving it DHS would be a D type refit you could do in a DropShip bay while on the way somewhere. Two CLB5s and two CLPLs would be a nasty surprise in any timeframe...

DE QUEEN
DE QUEEN HAS RETURNED MY SIBLINGS

>ywn out style the Dune miniseries
Floppy hatted Sardukar eat your hearts out. Also, dress ushankas.

>dress ushankas

Ushanka hat is best hat.

Is there a Rifleman variant with 4 AC/5?

No, and why would you want there to be? You'd need to reduce its armour to between 0.5 and 3.5 tons depending on whether you want to keep the MLs or add any extra AC ammo.

I mean, it's technically POSSIBLE. It's nothing resembling good, though. If AC/5s were 2 tons less, it'd be at least reasonable. A quad AC/5 Mech really needs to be 70 tons or higher.

Though 4 AC/2s or LAC/5s can be reasonably done. Not that you'll be good for much other than AAA or bullying bugs.

Where do you guys get your cheap armored vehicle models? Also, what scale are they typically?

GHQ is pretty much the go to. Everything is in the same scale BT theoretically is too.

What is more fun, a huge mess of MGs, or the same amount of streaks?

Streaks are anti-fun, because you can't swap around the ammo to funtimes and warcrimes.

I like Streaks on my Riever 700b

Thanks all. I like the Rifleman and was just curious if there had been a "logical progression" since the original Rifleman has issues with heat and being over gunned. I guessed this wasn't going to be perfect solution but was just wondering if it had been done.
Thanks!

Back in the early days of the game, before part-loading ammo was made illegal, there was a Purple Burd prototype of a Rifleman that swapped out the LLs and AC/5s for single AC/10s in each arm... and only one shot per gun.

Several upgraded models do that, but in different ways, partly since BT rarely gives out a new version of an old weapon that's just straight better.

Most directly the 6D does mount 4 LAC/5s and a shitload of ammo so you can play with precision rounds, or AP if you feel like gambling. The 3M uses Ultra AC/5s which when double firing is basically the same as 4 AC/5s, though jam risk, iffy second shot accuracy, and in the 3M's case still only having a single ton to feed both make that not all that reliable, and the DHS eliminate the heat issues with the lasers. The 8D mounts twin RAC/5s, which at max fire rate is the potential equivalent of 12 AC/5s.

I dunno about this early days model but that's basically the Davion RFL-3C, but it carries one ton for each AC/10, not one shot.

The 3C dates to 1985, so basically any earlier days and you'd be in Battledroids.

Logical progression is the Invasion 3M refit kit.

Gah, 5M. The other guy said 3M and I slipped some gears.

Favorite goes to the vindicator.

It may be too hot and underarmoured, but it was enough for Yorinaga Kurita and Natasha Kerensky.

I do not care what hardcore angry Inner Sphere warriors say, the old-fashioned Timber Wolf will always be my favourite 'mech.

Ironically, I am more of a Green Bird fan than a Wolf fan, though to be honest, the Hellbringer and Summoner are also pretty high up on my favourites.

Anybody got any pictures of clan warriors from all the different clans? I'm mostly just trying to see what their uniforms look like, but ethnicity is relevant too. I know Falcon is supposed to be asian and Jaguar is supposed to be black, but what about some of the others?

There might be a bunch in the Clan sourcebooks in the OP. I know some of the art filters through here from time to time.

Bears are mix of asian, Scandinavians and latinos. Plus they get jimmy SUPAAAAHFFLLLY Snuka.