magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Do we really need all these Art Sources?
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

>Anons who don't know how to use old.photojoiner.net/

Reposting from previous thread with additional cards and some edits.

Working on an ability for a set idea.

Lore wise it represents the wilder and more free races/colors tapping into dangerous and uncontrolled magic energy as a desperation move. The primary colours would be Red and Green, with Black getting a splash because of the whole "always seeking power" vibe.

Some handle this energy better than others, and it's wild and random dispersal can trigger magic abilities.

Mechanically they just slowly build up power, and you can (usually) choose when and where to release that power. Many of them have abilities that trigger when counters are removed or added, pay attention to number of counters, or to power/toughness.

I like the idea because it has lots of interactivity with other sets that add/remove counters in abilities and it gives counters a reason to exist other than just making combat numbers bigger.

The full rules for the ability would read as:

>Mutation is a triggered ability that places counters on a creature. "Mutation" means " At the beginning of your upkeep, if this creature is on the battlefield, you may put a +1/+1 counter on it. If you don’t, remove all +1/+1 counters from it."

>Multiple instances of Mutation on the same object are redundant.

The problem with this mechanic is that continuously and freely gaining +1/+1 counters is a very strong ability. The bonus you get from removing the counters also has to have some heft in order to make the decision appealing. The resulting base creature has to be either too weak or too expensive or both.

No idea if this is a good or bad idea. I'm suddenly reminded why I don't design lands very often.

Pretty sure I've seen all of these before on these threads, or at least something similar. Tour de Force still has the problem of chaining together creatures to gain control of everything, though to be fair, it's a lot harder to do now, since you'd at the very least need some sort of anthem effect to really make it work.

The rest I think are fine.

Basically what says. Plus there's just the fact that you can easily combo this with other effects that remove +1/+1 counters from creatures you control, like Novijen Sages or Ooze Flux.

Originally I had intended to include a mana cost for continuing Mutation (either 1 mana each time, or possibly 1 mana per counter) as a way to keep it more balanced. I didn't want to increase the cost of the base creature too much, otherwise it would be worthless as an ability since they'd never enter battle early enough to grow thier counters.

I will keep tweaking at it as I go.

4 mana instant, uncounterable Blightsteel Colossus

This is way too good.

Reposting

I really like the rw one

Shouldn't it read "becomes a 0/0 plant creature until end of turn. It's still a land."?

I borrowed the wording from Noyan Dar and Cyclone Sire.

Bump

>instant
It's sorc-speed. Will change to tutor to hand.

He's right (though he did forget to add Trample). The difference is those cards turn the land into a creature permanently. Check out Elemental Uprising.

>card
Change "play" to "the battlefield". Seems OK I think.

>Standardize
I can't see this ever being a legit keyword.

Why do you have Wasteland on that list?

What type of world would you expect an instants and sorceries matter set to be?

Would you be fine with kicker being a returning mechanic in it?

Cute, but not common.

Been wondering this in the back of my head myself. Best idea Id thought of so far was sort of an "art world", with spells representing different kinds of art, but I havent given it a whole lot of thought. It may be more prudent to start with your key mechanic, and then work backwords to figure out what kind of world that mechanic makes sense in. I remember someone posting a dfc mechanic where spells turned into creatures, to increase asfan of creatures in a set where spells would matter, which I think is an important kind of mechanic to have regardless of how you execute. What kind of world has abstract actions or magic become physical things? Maybe thats the correct angle, match to a spell mechanic rather than the general theme of spells matter.

Still playing around with this. Added +2/+2 and FStrike as a base bonus to make it a bit better. Just felt a bit too weak earlier, since it basically needed a creature that was already good in combat.

>Sun's Champion
I remember seeing this before, but not any of the others. Seems pretty good. Actually wondering if it should make just two tokens. Dunno.

>Lunar Sage
Kinda feel like this would be more useful if it did the draw on entry. It would probably have to be more expensive, but still.

>Blood Fiend
Seems OK.

>Llanowar's Liege
Seems cool, but I feel like this should be changed around a little. I just feel like it's kinda weird to tap one of the Elves for mana then saccing it. Might just be me though.

Pretty interesting card. I'd actually like to see this in playtesting, especially in comparison with Diabolic Tutor. A bit less expensive and can get into the graveyard, so I feel like this would work better in combo decks with low CMC key pieces. Might just be me though.

Decided to throw in W to make it easier to cost.

More work on this mechanic. It now triggers from a single card, but with some restrictions. I think this is the most workable place I've gotten the mechanic to so far, and where I plan to keep it without strenuous mechanically-based objections. Let me know what you think.

Hmm. It does seem a lot workable now. Though I think I'd just make it
>[...] caused an opponent to draw a card this turn [...]

Actually... I wonder if this could work
>[...] if you had an opponent draw a card this turn [...]

Eh, up to you. Just trying to streamline it.

There's a vampire in RIX that does a similar thing

Thanks, I'm glad that it's finally somewhere playable. I worded it to count bounce and other card to hand effects as well
>Vic Sage
It's like a mini, reverse-order mindmoil. I like it. Reversing the order of effects is a good way to incorporate blue, I feel.

Thats simpler and less weird looking but its also harder to do other than during the opponents turn. Theres some things you can naturally do in blue at least that puts things in opponents hands during your turn that isnt just draw. Both require some kind of structure to enable them. I guess thats okay but eh. Im just not compellwd still. But it seems easier to use now, a little closer to madness in terms of the tools needed to pull it off, but at least doing one triggers them all. It feels a little weird that it just works during the opponents turn but I dont know if its an actual issue. I assume you had it 2 before specifically so that it wasnt just automatically on then.

I forgot all your commons, what are some of white's tools for pulling this off?

I know. In my defense, I started working on this card long before that one was released (which makes it a little embarrassing I still haven't finished it), and it was initially inspired by Phyrexian Ingester.

eyy, want to work on a cycle of enemy color Commands to fill out the hole left by the dragonlord commands in DTK.

What effects would you like to see on 'em, on each enemy color combo?

Easy way to do this would honestly be to just look at the mechanical color pie article and pick situational and/or small effects.

>It feels a little weird that it just works during the opponents turn
It shouldn't, it specifically only triggers from spells and abilities that you control, so the opponent's draw step won't trigger it.
>I forgot all your commons, what are some of white's tools for pulling this off?
Here are all of the monocolored enablers for edify at common.

Depends on how you make them. A cycle like this is very flexible, since you can change the mana costs of the cards (low cost, high cost, or X cost) and all you need are two effects per color for each card.

But thinking of it now, how about an X cost UR Command with
>Counter target spell unless its controller pays X.
>Draw X cards. [Or Scry X and draw one card]
>~ deals X damage to target creature or player.
Not sure on the last mode for R. X creatures can't block? Reveal the top X cards of the library and cast an I/S spell for free from among them with CMC X or less without paying its mana cost? Cast an I/S card from your graveyard for free with CMC X or less then exile that card?

the UR one definitely feels like the best one to slap an X on, likely will do.

I wasn't expecting more than Parley. Not bad. I actually think symmetrical draw is good for white but I didn't think you would do that, referring to Supply Ship Traders. I think Recover the Fallen can be a little cheaper since Remember the Fallen is 2 could be a 2M for a divination and I assume that's what your riffing off of, so I think M for each player regrows a thing is fine.

Not him, but I hope you have plans for some uncommon WU enabler for this. Maybe a creature that can tap to have each player draw a card, and maybe and end step Edify trigger for lifegain or Scry.

I guess I just really like WotC's idea of dual-color uncommon cards designed for draft archetypes.

Is M the new shorthand for color now? I've been wondering what to use since Wizards made C mana.

Yes, M for Mana, though sometimes I accidentally say C by accident, but most people usually know the intent since colorless mana is not a common thing to talk about.

I do have multicolor enablers planned, yes. They'll be in the works once the commons are all squared away. Which should be soon, actually.

Decided to do something kid of weird.

I like this. It's just a modal spell but it does it in a novel way. Is there any way it could cost 2R? The symmetry would take it over the top for me. If you had to, you could bump it down to uncommon in exchange. I don't know if it'd still have a shot at actual constructed at 2R, but I don't know if a strictly better lightning strike is where they want to be, and like I said the symmetry with matching the copy kicker would make it even better. It would still be a limited monster if it cost 2R I think.

Oh, it doesn't go face, so it wouldn't be strictly better. But they do do 1R hit a creature for 3 in limited so it still wouldn't be too far under the baseline as 2R

Power-level erratta? I feel like Wasteland should be a Wastes imo.

I was thinking regulate as another name for it.
the set is based in muraganda so lots of 'vanilla' effects would be neat.

Woops, the Saber-Spear dude is suppposed to be a 3/2

>tribal
reaction image

Thanks, glad you like it. It was modal previously, then I realized it was basically just casting the spell twice. Honestly kinda surprised this never happened before, at least AFAIK.

Anyway, as for cost, change to uncommon, have it hit players too, and up card cost to 2R.

>the set is based in muraganda so lots of 'vanilla' effects would be neat.
Ouch. I remember another user trying this. Didn't turn out very well. Half the effects where "keyword without a keyword" which was just hamfisted and clumsy.

Looks like obligatory Zedruu stuff. Especially the merfolk. The nymph seems really good with mana rocks.
This is a strange card, is something like that possible without being silver bordered?
I love this dude. Really playable, and good flavor.
This is really neat, but super powerful.

Also I forgot to put this with the other lands.

Standardize has got to be one of the most complicated ways you could execute a vanilla mechanic. I recommended dropping it entirely frankly. This ability has things manipulating a bunch of shit for mana at instant speed. I think if you want vanillas to matter, you should either have it on or off, don't let it switch. There's a couple ways you can do it. You can do dfc, you can do something like Unleash, you could do something like Embalm.

Should I try and rework the ability, or scrap it altogether? The set has vanilla creatures in it as well, but I thought "get +x/+x but lose all other abilities" was an interesting way to go about it. Like a creature with lifelink being able to be pumped, but as a result it loses the lifelink, this card is a good example.

What's the issue with tribal? Seems to make sense in a set like Muraganda.

So something like

Aka-Ma's Chosen 2B
Creature- Human Cleric
Lifelink, Menace
Standardize 2 (You may have this creature enter the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters. If you do, it loses all other abilities)
2/3

Tribal is bad because it doesn't matter most of the time. It's also one of those things like hybrid that people just do because they think it's awesome and clever, but at least hybrid is an actually useful tool. Why is that a enchantment a human, and why does it matter? Are you going to be pulling that back as often with say, regrow target human as much as an actual creature card in limited, where you can make the interaction matter more? Probably not. So why have it? Your options are technically increased, but not in practice, and it's an extra word on cards, and it makes you have to use funky wording to make stuff account for it, and it's just not a great thing. If you want human tribal, just put humans in your set.

It matters because of the "wary" mechanic I have. Though at the end of the day it isn't that important.

That's one way. It's actually my preference when I've thought about it. I'm not sure if it's necessary for it to have a number but I guess it's fine, I don't think you would ever use this ability anywhere else anyway. The reason you want the counters is because it marks that your creature has no abilities, so that means also in your set you should be very very sparing with +1/+1 counter granting.

Another way to do it would be to have it work like Renown or Monstrosity, where the card also gets a trait that can be cared about. One of the problems with vanilla matters is that there's very few things you can care about. If you made it, say, Standardize N (You may have the creature enter the battlefield with N +1/+1 counters. If you do, it loses all abilities and it becomes standardized.), you could now care about standardized creatures.

Oh, you can make cards that care about tribes. That isn't the question. The issue is, it doesn't matter like 90% of the time. Most humans are going to be creatures anyway, most interaction works best with creatures. Tribal isn't worth understanding what it is and having it in a set to make for that 1 in 20 games or whatever where you get somebody because you cast a Human Enchantment even though they were probably playing a Human deck anyway and would have triggered it with one of their other human creatures eventually.

Also how is this supposed to get in the grave...? Do you have a graveyard subtheme? Also this would be extremely annoying to track. Both you and your opponent would have to track your grave to make sure that they aren't triggering any wary cards with anything they cast where it matters.

Wasteland and the Ooze tribe has some mill in it, though I see what you're saying, I can probably remove the tribal cards. Especially considering there were like 8 of them total.

Would Wary be better as a bounce mehcanic? As in Wary of X (If an opponent casts an X spell, you may return ~ to your hand)?

Would be a good way to make a non-standardized creature standardize if I go with the mechanic like says.

>Spellbinde
Das scheint mir Deutsch. Use ~ to automatically insert the name of the card.

Can't believe I missed that, thanks.

Here's the updated set so far.

>Giant walls of cards
I will say the strictly better than basics are a problem. Also Wastes has no land type. It doesn't function like basic land types and inherently give lands mana abilities.

You shouldn't make lands that are always better than basics.

Grounds for Divorce is a great design.

Not a fan.

Pillage Pile sets some alarm bells off. It would be reeeaelll strong with Squee. My instincts also say that Razor Thicket and Rumbling Ravine are too strong in limited to be uncommon in draft, but idk. Tar Pit is a cool version of Maze of Ith. I like the Wastes supertype too.

Cool card. I can't think of anything it actually does, though.

For comparison, Cruel Tutor is a $20 legacy card.

Nice looking commons. I'm really excited about edify, but it only shows up on one card. Meanwhile, cards that trigger it are everywhere.
Scare Off's art and flavor text are mismatched.

Should definitely cost 2R, like was saying.

This is a bad mechanic.

OP. Should come into play tapped and cost a healthy chunk more.

Wary is also a bad mechanic; an entire mechanic that never shows up in 3/4 games you play with it is not worth designing a set around. I don't mind Akuma but somehow Muraganda doesn't sound Japanese enough to have a character named Akuma be native.
Honestly, I came around a little more on Standardize when reading your cards but I still don't like it.
All your lands should also ETB tapped.
Egg Nabber is nice. I like Downpour but it isn't blue. Skulk needs reminder text because it isn't evergreen. Heavy Cumulus is fine but doesn't feel like a cloud. Planar Lens doesn't fit with your set. Pricky Lizodon is actually just a 5/3 for 4. Primordial Pools is probably the best card of the bunch. Saber-Spear Ambuhser makes wary make a little more sense. There is already a card named Radiant Purge. Same with Searing Light. Set Camp is green and should cost at least 2. Shielding Heron is a nonbo with itself.

>Should definitely cost 2R, like was saying.
Yeah, already changed the cost, and I changed the targeting so it can hit players too. Honestly kinda hard to judge since Wizards seems to really crack down on spells that can deal large amounts of damage to players directly.

Do you think the reworked version of standardize is playable? I'm going to make all the nonbasics with basic land types etb tapped.

I like this a lot. Would be amazing in Eldrazi EDH.

Aoki/Blackwood Shinobi have frustratingly competing designs. Aoki has ninjutsu but her trigger only cares about being cast. And the trigger puts Blackwood Shinobi on the battlefield, but it wants to be in your hand to dash.

I feel like Kenju should at least have first strike. Mei is interesting.

How do y’all feel about forecast,m? I’m designing cards based on Tarot and I’m split between Forecast and Suspend.
E.g. Judgment is a sweeper that either on forecast or removal of time counters puts a fate counter on something and those things it does not destroy. Death is a creature with the opposite effect (a little like the new dino).

I’ve never had much occasions to play around with forecast which is why I’m asking. These two cards will work similarly either way but others could have completely different abilities with each of the two triggers.

Also yes fate counters are a theme.

I really like planar lens and also rather like xenophobia, and spiral shell conch.
I dislike downpour(lacking cohesion and powerlevel), the blue 3/6, spined snipclaw (not a blue card), akuma (just not a fan), gharial(once again cohesion, I don't know why it's blue, and the ability should probably be simplified in one way or another either by removing its mana cost or one of the 2 effects) and plateosaur (standardize seems almost meaningless and it doesn't even work properly with vigilance unless you have to activate it as a sorcery).
The rest are fine, although slimy simulacrum (goryo's without restriction) has no reason to be blue once again, or for that matter green and should either be renamed or made into a creature.
Lumbering falls was playable and this is strictly better in 3 ways at once.
beguiling bog is actually pretty sweet.
>wary of dinosaur
Lol, what the fuck, how often is that going to get into your graveyard?
>primordial pools
Too strong, 3 colored lands already come into play tapped without another ability and you gave it one almost on par with keldorian outposts'. It should at least sacrifice non-token creatures and should probably only be a dual land.
>tar pit
Tapping an attacking creature feels mostly unnecessary. Definitely safe considering kor haven, you don't have to make it stronger, but you can if you want to.

Forgot the 'you control' for Decree of immortality. It's fixed now.

When making a set, is it better to start designing the rare/mythics first or go with the commons/unco ?

Neither exactly imo, I go from planning general goals to specific. Usually this means themes -> archetypes -> specific cards (which would mean likely making uncommons first imo, as those are most important to archetypes), but if you're making a set for constructed than mythics or rares might be more important to ground in place first and build the rest of the stuff around that.

Thanks that's what I thought.
The general goal and themes are written down, and I made some rare and unco describing the diferent paths I want to explore.
It would be more of a draft type of set so cards that might be overpowered in constructed like modern aren't in this specific environment (at least they're not yet)

Edify shows up on six cards at common so far. That post was just showcasing its enablers.
>Scare Off
I'll look for some new art, thanks.

>Lumbering falls was playable and this is strictly better in 3 ways at once.

My bad. It was based on Treetop Village but with a higher (And wider requirement) mana cost to turn in into a creature. 1G 3/3 trample vs 1GU 4/4 trample, hexproof.

Grim tutor would have been a better example.

Seems like a really random collection of creature types.

These are the only creatures type that have access to black in the set I'm doing, so it kind of makes sense when you see it this way.

Some multicolor commons for consideration

Post stuff you want for your EDH decks.

Also, do I have this worded right? The basic idea is when you cascade, it prevents you from hitting cheap cards. So if you were to cascade a card costing 6, it could hit cards that cost 3, 4, or 5, but not 1 or 2.

Yeah, I changed wary to:
When an opponent casts an X spell, you may return ~ to your hand. And I changed it to be Wary of Creature instead. I may just drop it and give the white land a different ability altogether. Also changed Standardize.

This seems very strong for uncommon, especially with flash.

I really like this guy.

Anyways, here are some new cards and some cards I changed due to feedback from you guys.

>Post stuff you want for your EDH decks.
I don't actually play Magic much, but this was designed with EDH in mind.

>card
This genuinely made me laugh. I think the easiest way to do something like this would be something like
>Whenever you cast a spell with cascade, scry X, where X is that card's converted mana cost.
This would allow you to play with the library so you could more easily manipulate what gets Cascaded into. The only problem I can see with it is if the Cascade trigger resolves before this does.

>CM01
I really don't like how this enables itself. Just take off DTouch. It's not like Wizards makes many Auras with it anyway.

>CM02
Meh.

>CM03
Eh, guess it's OK.

>CM04
Shit, didn't notice that CW05 before. For Edify, I strongly recommend making it either continually trigger, like Landfall, or making it so it just gets enabled for a turn, like Morbid. I just feel like it would make the mechanic stronger overall and easier to manage.

>CM05
Don't think I'd put this at common. Seems like it would confuse newbies. Hmm, maybe the same is true for CM01

>CM06
Besides the cantrip, this seems like it would be far worse than if it just counted the cards in your hand.

I like this guy, simple but fairly costed.

CM01: Pretty strong for common. The exile effect is pretty good combined with deathtouch. Maybe increase to 4 CMC?
CM02: I like this guy. Seems fairly costed.
CM03: I believe it should read "... is indestructible until end of turn." Other than that, seems good.
CM04: Seems okay. Maybe the suggestion that gave would work for edify.
CM05: Seems okay. Somewhat weird rules for a common.
CM06: I didn't realize edify included drawing, but this seems a little over-costed imo. Maybe 1WU or just WU even since it's a combat trick that requires external support to get a big bonus.

>CM03: I believe it should read "... is indestructible until end of turn." Other than that, seems good.
When Indestructible was first introduced in Mirrodin, it was a property of permanents, which is what your wording indicates. But Wizards changed Indestructible to a standard keyword starting with Magic 2014, so it just uses the standard keyword syntax now. Compare the original printing of Avacyn, Angel of Hope to her reprints.

Oh damn you're right.

Those are your Commanders for the night. Choose one.