Character is supposed to talk in broken "English"

>character is supposed to talk in broken "English"
>omits words and uses improper grammar like some kind of caveman
>refers to themselves in third person
>repeat-repeats words for emphasis
>sometimes truncates others' names into monosyllabic nicknames and repeats them, like calling someone named Lucian "Luke-Luke" or someone named Catherine "Kate-Kate"

How often have you seen GMs and players repeat this exact cliché from other media, and sometimes even other RPGs (looking at you, Skaven)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uiDZToowbCs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's how ESLs actually behave.

In your example they talk all cutesy lIke that on purpose to endear thms elves to humans. There's an entire sidequest about it.

Because it's an easy way to make someone who can't speak correctly in the mind of someone who already understands the language.

>Acting cute so you won't be obliterated
>Japanese game
Hmm...

As long as people with the same native language make the same mistakes in English it's fine, because it hints at the way their language is structured.

And here I felt bad because my character's accent is inconsistent. Thanks for making me feel better about my RPing user

I just pull out my thicc non-native accent. Works wonders.

The nukes taught the nippons fear. They have taken to it well.

Look I have 4 INT and I can either talk like a caveman and be fun or I can quote tg posts and scream a lot. Which do you prefer?

I want to avoid simply using messed up English and junk like that when I do my next character. Any ideas?
It's probably going to be a birdperson, how hard is it to imitate a bird of prey?

Where are you from?

Pronounce things a bit wrong. Keep the grammar mostly correct, but occasionally use the wrong word or conjugation, or simply forget the word for something.

Russia.
Now, normally my accent is very decent, people can't tell where I'm from just by that and usually assume somewhere from Western Europe.

But I sure can do some vodka speak for shits and giggles.

Speaking poor english for shits and giggles is so great and monolingual people are missing out.

Also speak properly no conjunctions, slang or idioms.

Huh, alright. Doesn't sound too bad, guess that part of this character is down. Are there any easy ways to make non-songbird calls and stuff? Crow callers, or maybe whistles for birds of prey?

This. Although, you can use idioms, if they're supposed to be stupidly literal translations of idioms of you supposed native languages that doesn't make any sense in whatever language you're supposed to be speaking.

Those are the best kind of idiom. I sometimes use translated idioms from my native language instead of proper English ones for shits and giggles, although only ones that are understandable but unusual, rather than utterly incomprehensible.

>now you've shat in the blue cupboard

>I sense there's owls in the moss

>cocktinkler
>faggot-worm
>shagged she-goat
>pussy angst
>drywanker
>the crafty mouths preschool club
>keep both balls in one basket
>cloaked by a copper cunt
>runny cock
>forehead cockslap
>born diagonally

>forehead cockslap
a pisellate in faccia?

I generally despise everything you mentioned but the Skaven get a free pass for some stupid reason, it just doesn't bother me when they do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=uiDZToowbCs

non parlo italiano

>The balls overtook the rollers

I've done this, actually. They referred to other characters by their features and accessories, since they couldn't remember their names without the pheromones their own people possessed. Fortunately, running into a Teacher was enough to break them of the habit of talking about themselves in the third-person.

> cliché from other media
Things you've enumerated are actually how grammar in some languages works.

>omits words and uses improper grammar like some kind of caveman
Or may be like some Italian or Spanish, you know
> refers to themselves in third person
Japanese child-speak, some tribal languages.
> repeat-repeats words for emphasis
Common trait for many African languages
>sometimes truncates others' names into monosyllabic nicknames and repeats them, like calling someone named Lucian "Luke-Luke" or someone named Catherine "Kate-Kate"
French.

Is there really any language that does ALL of this together at once?

I unironically did this for one character and was bordering on That Guy territory.
The GM told me either cut it out or he was gonna kill my PC. I ended up bullshitting an excuse as to why he now talked like a ghetto whigger.

This happens IRL for non-native english speakers.

Vietnamese for example doesn't have pronouns and only has the equivalent of the third person.

Also speaking like a caveman, while crude, is an efficient way of communicating when you have trouble with the language.

Me want food. Me give money.

Crude but it gets the message accross.

>shit yourself, little parrot

You can get close. Chinese has weird af grammar, it cuts out a fuckload of words, and it repeats words for...not so much emphasis, but for certain effect.

There's an old and almost forgotten language in my country where some of these would perfectly apply, and weirder ones would still happen, like using incorrect prepositions all the time, saying "I" the wrong way, or completely broken phrase structures like "I with break hammer the the pot".

Some languages just work in completely different ways than we're used to.

Yeah, but consider Old Chinese in the form that is known to us today. Modern Chinese is acquiring morphology very fast (erhua, monosyllabics being replaced by disyllabics for a lot of semantic tokens etc.).

The condensed, literary Old Chinese that we know of is uniquely succinct. Cavespeak is very succinct too.

As to why Old Chinese is so succinct, my personal understanding goes like this: unlike Modern Chinese, where writing is more informationally dense than speech, Old Chinese writing most likely didn't record various prefixes and suffixes (similar to Old Tibetan ones).

Also, worth noting that non-mistaken usage of improper grammar in serious discourse (i.e., not for the sake of sarcasm, humour etc.) is never a thing within one dialect. It's called improper grammar for a reason.

Cavespeak to English would be a dialect IF it had consistent grammar of its own, not just arbitrarily breaking English grammar.

>referring to oneself in third person
In a natural language most likely it'd be a token of deference, a type of self-disparagement. But a hypothetical low intelligence being would use that because he hasn't internalised the concept of 'I' vs. 'you' vs. 'everything else'. It's an oxymoron: arguably, understanding the notion of personae is a prerequisite to language ability.

>reduplication
Did you know that there are more languages WITH reduplication than those without it?