Wargaming Tables and terrain

So I've got room at home now to set up a gaming space.
For storage reasons I'm going to have 2 4ft by 3ft boards sitting on a folding table.

Whats a good way to fasten them together when they're on the table so they lay flat but don't move apart during a game?

Also flocking the whole table or just paint?

table and terrain general as well I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/udSi5
pastebin.com/hbY3hv28
crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/rules/7tv-2nd-edition/
thamesvalleywargamers
kostkadomina.SPOTTY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is how I did it, side latches to lock them together, and dowels to keep them from slipping sideways. imgur.com/udSi5

thanks for the tip, consider the design stolen.

Saw something similar that worked a treat, but it used 3*2x4ft pieces laid-out as a 4x6ft board with the seams held together by strips of 4in wide cloth tape. One seam was taped on the underside and the other on top, so the whole thing folded Z-style into a compact unit for storage.

Good luck, and have fun!

how does the tape stand up to use, is it something I'd look at redoing occasionally or frequently?

For your terrain you don't really need to bother buying expensive kits.

You can do so much with the household junk you'll normally find in your recycling. Cardboard buildings should be obvious, as well as tin can tanks.

Bottle brushes and flock make for easy and cheap trees.

Terrain from trash is the cheap and easy way to go.
Raid your neighbourhoods recycle bins for styrofoam, cardboard and all sorts of plastic, packaging, cups etc.

I made this my terrain building philosophy and only spend a few bucks on paint and woodglue.

I made a whole table full of desert terrain from styrofoam sheets, packaging and toothpicks.

Don't bother with botle brushes, you can get these bristle gutterguards that are basically a metre long bottle brush real cheap, ones normally enough for a whole tables worth of trees.

Pringles tubes are awesome material btw.

Bump for terrain

Pretty much, you only "need" to buy something expensive if it is something that will be bloody hard to do without it. And even then, consider buying things which weren't made for gaming - fishtank stuff has surprisingly good terrain.

I think the plants on the scatterpieces on this table are fishtank gear.

The one thing I've always had a hard time doing was hills, but in all honesty that you can probably solve through some sort of putty or something.

>Whats a good way to fasten them together when they're on the table so they lay flat but don't move apart during a game?

You could put a belt on it, works for this.

Yep, fucking Pringles.

Instead of a conventional board, may I offer another suggestion?

Make terrain mats rather than full on boards; they're easier to store and allow you to customise them with objects underneath the mat to build up more natural lookings hills and valleys.

These offer a far more flexible (pun not intended) solution to terrain and can be stored easier. They're also much easier to transport if the need arises.

pastebin.com/hbY3hv28

Im in the SDE:L Kickstarter and would be stoked to build terrain like this.
Sauce user?

These tables are fucking amazing.

Something to keep in mind is that with terrain, it's better to have a lot of generally useful pieces rather than a few fancy pieces. Having a simple road crossing the board does a lot more to sell the scene than just throwing down a large ruined building.

Seconding this.

OP dont listen to these 12 year olds.
If you are going to dedicate a room for wargaming do it well. From my experience the best way to go about it is to spend some decent cash on good center piece. DIY options can be nice additions but you will probably want to start out with the center piece around which to theme and build the table. If its historicals i would consider a small town using lazer cut scenery. For a SciFi probably an HQ outpost or crashed starship. Most people will remember an awesome gaming table by the defining feature. If you build another grass field it might not live up to your own expectations. Pic related, tournament wargaming tables with no defining key features

Awesome harbor.

The town

There are some awesome youtube channels for inspiration.

This is bad advice; unless you can use it as terrain for skirmish or make use of it in a game, there's no point in having a big centrepiece.

Here we have a fairly simple table that is completely modular with the buildings made from printed paper and foamcore and can be rearranged at will with a few purchased elements such as the mat (which can be done yourself as well and the tube-lights) to make it pop.

It looks far better and will not only be great to game on but can be reworked around for practically infinite setups.

The boards are themselves light-weight sheathing foam with a coating of PVA over both sides - including the tape - for good measure, and the top also coated with texture paint, so the tape there is doubly secured. No worries.

You could use a board like this for basically any period.From Romans to 1970s TV skirmish.

What the fuck is a 1970s TV skirmish?

crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/rules/7tv-2nd-edition/

Anyway, it's perfect for some cops and robbers as the bank heist van is chased to some quiet rural dirt road, or for Cold War spies to meet up only to be ambushed by counter intelligence, etc.

what material is that btw?

Fake fur, paint. Some flock I believe for the plants if it's not just pre-bought clumps that you can get.

get a stuffed bear or something, skin it (sorry bear) clip down the fur with clippers to shave it and make it look like road

Fake fur shaved to the right length and painted.

thamesvalleywargamers the spot of the blog co.uk/2009/09/teddy-bear-fur-gaming-mat-series-of.html

Another tutorial.

kostkadomina.SPOTTY BLOG.co.uk/2017/09/faux-furteddy-bear-fur-mat-for.html

It's pretty top tier stuff.

That honestly looks really, really fucking nice. I might have to try it.

The best thing is that it's super cheap; at most you'll need some scatter, some cheap acrylic paint, a brush or squirt bottle and some clippers.

Oh and the fur of course.

What's spotty blog

ye olde rt terrain, I love these old buildings

blogspot, you mongoloid.

i'd love to play a trench game.

If you buy terrain instead of making your own you're what's wrong with modern hobbyists, honestly. Miniatures I can understand but terrain? Come on.

Yoghurt cups.

I know. I've been building some out of cups and egg cartons. They look so generic sci fi but great.

Wish I could figure out how to build a castle wall and gate.

Polystyrene carved into the shape of a wall stuck onto a carboard exterior.

>pic related, a beautiful, if a little small Pacific island table that is totally gay because it doesn't have a giant ray gun
yeah nah get fucked cunt

If this is an issue that genuinely concerns you to the point of labling people who don't make their own terrain as what's wrong with the hobby, you're what's wrong with the hobby.

Because it is just a hobby, nobody has to engage with every aspect of it.

Old school, nice

>tfw my gameboard compared to others in this thread

Well at least you have the polystyrene and cocktail stick plant.

I made that for a HoR campaign.

>Trash for terrain
>Looks like trash
You don't say?

Next time you want to save some money:
>dumpster dive at a construction site for carpet, lumber scraps, and heavy cardboard
>Build and paint it up, emphasize neatness

This desu. I do like a lot of the Warhammer terrain, but I also love to make my own and would rather make my own.

hills are easy, just get a thick sheet of foam, cut out shapes and bevel the edges.

Honestly I've stopped making hills; elevated plazas and such for cities and town? Yeah, I'll make them; but for hills I just use a fake fur mat an put books underneath; looks fantastic.

all you're lacking is effort.
terrain from trash can look great, it just takes time and effort.

What you've got is a good starting point, just as you get time go over each peice again adding details and refining it.
Take those packaging bunkers, adding some hatchs, vision and firing ports and giving it a proper paintjob would go a long way to making it look like a good finished bit of terrain.

Or that building, its still salvageable. Cut bigger windows and doors, but this time measure it up and use a ruler and blade so things are evenly sized and square. Get some more card and cut thin strips, ad them vertically or horizontally to the outside on say the corners and under the windows to give more structure.

what you've got for now looks like half finished stuff rushed out in a few minutes.

The best way to build a nice scenario is think about what games you're using for and what they could potentially be fighting over.

For example, doing fantasy skirmish? Then perhaps ancient forests and monumens, or sleepy hamlets and strategic bridges, or a crossroads in a blighted swamp.

Next stage is to arrange your terrain so it looks like those things and build up more detailed parts if need be to get it that way. Glancing at the table, someone should instantly be able to see what it is. Even if it's just a blasted heath in the middle of nowhere. Looking at your table, what is it? What are we looking at? A city? A base? A factory? We don't know.

Also never underestimate how effective little bits of clutter and items can help make a scene pop; streetsigns, dumpsters, rubbish bins, cars, streetlights, etc turn a city scene from a game backdrop into a a much more believable setting; take a game mat like the ones shwon above, put some flexible trees sections on it, place a few crumbling ruins, menhirs, ruined circles, perhaps even a few animal miniatures and you've got a mysterious forest and so on.

For hills to stand pieces on, foam insulation. Stack some pieces and then carve the slopes. For rolling hills that border on cliff faces, chicken wire frames topped with paper mache and coated with textuered wall paint.

Imperial aguala vs a school of tyranids.

nigga that diy shit is way cooler than any shit you could buy

Decent terttain pieces but placed in such a way that they look shit.

I'm telling you; the old ways of making is obsolete; embrace the church of the playmat; the teddy bear fur calls you.

Trees are super cheap to buy from China these days; unless you wanted to do it as a project, I don't see the point in it.

A mat covering a book is fine for a pickup game, its quick to set up, lives up to table top standard, and can be rearranged. It will never look "real" however. If you want terrain that can pass for a photo of a landscape when yojr minis arent present, your best bet is following railroad modelers on how they do landscapes. Railroad scale buildings are invariably underdetailed and over priced, but god damn do some of those guys know how to make some stunning terrain.

>It will never look real

Your time is over, old man.