GW half-year results

This is for the six months to November 2017. They're looking pretty healthy:

>Revenue £108.9 million (up from £70.9 million a year ago, and £55.3 million two years ago)
>Profits £38.8 million (up from £13.8 million, and £6.2 million before that)
>Online sales up 71%
>Trade (FLGS) sales up 63%
>Retail (GW store) sales up 35%

>internetretailing.net/2018/01/games-workshop-reports-fast-growth-online-off/
>investor.games-workshop.com/2018/01/09/half-year-2017-2018/

Nice blog post, you monumental faggot.

>t. management of Privateer Press

up price of models pump out a bunch of books yeah that will up revenue

No, just an average user who's sick of people treating this board like it's LiveJournal or Reddit or something. There's no discussion here, it's just some dude going "oh look how much money these guys got."

Book sales are up something like 20%, prices aren't that much higher than they were a year ago, if at all. Not even close to explaining a doubling of revenue in two years.

Poor fags and GW haters BLOWN THE FUCK OUT!

Or, you know, an opportunity to discuss what GW has managed to do to cause their massive turnaround, what people think has or hasn't worked, and where they go from here. Like it or not GW is the biggest miniatures company out there by quite some way, their performance is news.

So, a circlejerk complete with butt-pats? I didn't know this place was such a hugbox.

Yep i hate GW cause they put my local game store out of business just cause they did not like the competition.

How did they put them out of business? Did they demand they close down?

What's up with you? You complain about people discussing news. They are doing what you want but you still complain. Get over yourself.

What do you want us to talk about? The same rulesets which have been discussed to death? This is Veeky Forums news.

>talking about things is a hugbox

Go back to /v/

He stayed in business by selling online ebay and such remember years back when all the rules for selling stuff online came out they where mostly aimed at his online sales. He went to a convention and a GW rep there was talking to him and actually told him ahh you are the one they hate.

They took the wrong lessons a few years back, now it looks like they're turning around. Started to anyway. We'll see if this is just a wave of nostalgia for profit in a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach or a genuine new direction. Hope for the latter.

I think is the second report from GW which is showing steady profits so I am going to assume the latter. The new CEO Rowntree certainly has upped the whole thing, marketing especially. Pricing is still shaky but the fact that the likes of BB teams actually cost around 25 to 30 euro is a huge step in the right direction.

You've been saying this for thirty years now, when are you going to admit you are wrong?

what was released since November?

>When people complain about not getting Xenos releases
GW obviously know what their customers want.

>We do not consider that we have material solvency or liquidity risks. We also feel that it is too early to tell what the effects will be on Games Workshop of the UK Government invoking Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon, notifying the European Council of its intention to withdraw from the European Union. The greatest risk is the same one that we repeat each year, namely, management. So long as we have great people we will be fine. Problems will arise if the board allows egos and private agendas to rule. I will do my utmost to ensure that this does not happen.

LMAO is that shots fired at Kirby?

I'm laughing so hard I actually teared up. Thank you.

I think there's a bit of both in there. The revenue and profit growth isn't steady, it's astronomical. For the dominant company in a market to double turnover in a couple of years is massive. A lot of that has to be down to recapturing people who had stopped buying from them and improvements in their marketing and customer relations squeezing more sales out of their existing base. That's great from their point of view (and crap for the competition), but there's only so much of that to milk. Attracting new customers will be a much slower business, but it's where the potential for real long-term growth lies, and is a lot easier if your existing customer base is enthusiastic. I'd expect the sales growth to continue in the future, but at a somewhat reduced pace.

They clamped down because of trade accounts which were mostly selling online at steeply discounted rates. HQ's logic is that retail locations are what grow the hobby and provide the space and facilities for people to game. If a trade client is making all their profits from disproportionate online sales then they're kind of failing to provide the community support that GW expects and profiting off other peoples' efforts. I don't particularly blame them for that one.

Pretty much, and not for the first time.

I'm sure they attracted a huge number of new players because TW:W raised awareness of the game like nothing before it.

Nice try, PP. How is Warmashit?

Yeap. So will all the xenos be squatted out right? Or will they get sob’ed and fizzle out. I fucking hate bullshit mind games and say they should squat us all fas to get it out of the way.

>HQ's logic

Ah yes, that magical gift that has served them so well in the past. Let's see if I have this right -
profitable trade accounts were funneling Badwrong profits towards HQ, so HQ tried to kill them as it shuttered 2/3 of their B&M stores, stripped the rest down to 1-man pressure cookers and abandoned entire regions in a desperate attempt to pull out of their deathspin - but claim these moves were to spur 'growth' and 'community support' knowing the volunteer GWIDF would repeat the tale. Cute. Next you'll tell us GW reps have to act like cunts - not because they're cunts - but because English law would strip them of their rights if they did not. That's one of my favourites. Now, tell the one about the 'broken moulds.'

Lit. total war sales.

Shame we destroyed the IP you guys duhhh

don't be moronic.

That's good for them, but I have no interest in starting another 28mm skirmish game. I genuinely hope they up their writing game too, been following their fluff since 3rd edition tyranids came out and it started falling apart as the original writers were driven out.

Real story is that although the revenue increased by 38 million the profits increased by 25 million, which shows a pretty major reduction in spending.
With all the Warhammer stores that are closing near me, seems like GW still stay as simply an online presence with a few major superstores

Price of models actually went down from the Kirby years.

Kirby was an idiot, news at eleven. Rountree actually reshinded a lot of those things, for example now webstores are allowed to have carts of GW things again. And their report shows that Trade improved a lot, which is basically their sales throught FLGS and other websites.

They actually opened more stores than closed ones. It's in the report, they closed 10 and openened 17.

>Increase in royalties £0.9m
>increase in revenues £38m

Suuuuuuuure

I remember saying how awfully GW was doing back in the Kirby days and people countering that 'it was still the best selling miniature game ever' which missed the point entirely as being in a position of complete market dominance gives you the opportunity to capitalise on that and profit hugely and games workshop was failing at that miserably through bad , greedy corporate decision after bad , greedy corporate decision that was actually costing them money.

I feel rather vindicated now.

I miss WhFb.

Nothing so far has been said that can't be said in a general. Fucking cancer.

The rise before the fall. Quote this. GW will be dead or bleeding out in 3 years time.

See

It's already begun. The backlash against the "balanced" 8th edition is catching up to the slower less mentally fit players out there and the meta is more stale now than in 7th. The irony. On top of this they will try and over saturate the market with power armored marines and eventually it will burst their bubble.

Finally they will try and win back the xenos players they cut out to try make up for falling profits but it will be too late and GW's faint renaissance will be back into a dark age.

That or they run out of primarchs and emp/horus models to make and its GG lolol.

Remember when you said that last year?
And the year before that?
And the year before that?
And the year before...

If you actually want this company to survive after End times and what they had been doing to fluff, both 40k and Fantasy prior to 8th edition. Rick Priestly and the people who made warhammer the fantastic setting it is are gone, only people left are imitators who use the great setting as toilet paper for their wet dreams with none of what made the original so fantastic in the first place. Make all the money you want, attract all the braindead shitters who couldn't tell quality from counterfeit, it isn't Warhammer anymore.

>poorfag shitstorm incoming

oh, "the future will prove me right" fallacy - how deliciously retarded ...

You just can't comprehend that people don't want hard game that is about abusing the rules and some of those people just want to have quick fun and cinematic stuff from their game in free time ?

Kek, Warmahordes will never compete, give up Bill

>Hahaha. BTFO! Weep bitter tears while spergs like me fund investor's dividends by spanking all our money on overpriced plastic toys for one of the worst designed games in the history of the hobby.
You show them user.

have you seen the comments on creative assembly's facebook? man children who buy video games think that models are too expensive and they whine about dlc prices.

video game players are scum who have no concept of money

>started falling apart
M8, it fell apart years ago, there was just still enough of the good stuff in circulation that you didn't notice until they started expanding it or, worse, retconning it and replacing it with their nugarbage.

>Rick Priestly and the people who made warhammer the fantastic setting it is are gone

Pretty sure Dan Abnett and ADB are still around, as is Phil Kelly and Josh Reynolds

But if you think inquisitor sherlock obi wan clouseau is what made warhammer the great setting then yes, the people who made inquisitor sherlock obi wan clouseau are gone

So are we pretending the contraction of sales and profits didn't happen or?

You are so fucking retarded it's not even funny. Priestly designed the fucking game and is responsible for a large part of the original world. ADB and Abnett are fiction writers, the former is basically a fanfic writer and has shown he can't be trusted with canon, the latter is just phoning it in for cheques now, if The Warmaster is any indication. Go ahead and cling to that one tongue in cheek reference though, if it makes you feel better. I'd rather have an occasional joke reference than the mountains of poorly written, po-faced, edgelord gash that they are churning out now.

Wah video game players refused ot be cucked by corporations BS lies oh no. News at 11. HAHAHA. Faggot.

>cinematic stuff

"Cinematic" is a ridiculous buzzword.

But in the current context, I'm going to interpret "cinematic" as referring to games that people turn their brains off to play, just as they turn their brains off to watch certain movies.

Or it refers to cheesy encounters, "dramatic" fights between heroes, and minimal tactics, terrain, depth, and other slowdowns that get in the way of these "dramatic cinematic model removing game mechanics".

top kek

Actually, ADB and Laurie Goulding said that Rick Priestly often said that the setting is doomed to be consumed by Chaos. They are honouring his vision.

>saying this
>while EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda and Activision still exist
>While Call of Duty still sells millions

>and where they go from here
into the gutter once SW:Legion starts going

Christ, priestly was such a garbage writer. "Lets kill everything right at the start!". Fucking shit tier.

>Fucking shit tier.

How?

>Implying anyone cares about meme wars after TLJ

>implying your average Joe will ever buy models that have to be assembled and painted to play with

Screenshot this, Legion is going to flop.

Lmao.

Didn't they repackage AoS and push out SC boxes? If anything they artificially lowered the prices.

Don't be salty user, GW very simply sells more than ever before. That and Brexit kinda helps.

I mean, after all is said and done, GW has very simply never been so successful, powerful and worth so much money. They've literally never been better.

SW "fans" are in the overwhelmingly majority's casuals to the end. They go to the cinema, watch the movie, talk about it for a day and forget it. The very tiny portion of the fanbase that would be interested in Legion is so ridiculously small it encompasses people that are also in other Veeky Forums stuff, like Warhammer anyway.

>Not even close to explaining a doubling of revenue in two years.
Increased sales quantity across the board?

>video game players refused ot be cucked by corporations
They literally pay for the license to play a videogame. They don't own what they're purchasing lol. Steam could go bust next year and all their games are gone.

Games workshop goes bust and I still have all my miniatures.

>attract all the braindead shitters who couldn't tell quality from counterfeit

such quality, i truly miss whfb

>box that used to include 5 models for 40 bucks now includes 10 for fifty bucks
>up price of models
>inb4 b-but technically the box costs more

>ahh you are the one they hate.
What is it with GW reps being relatively straight talkers?

The manager at the GW near me will straight up tell me not to buy some of their products in favour of others or just suggest I "look elsewhere, like Spain, for better results" .

GW taking board games in-house and putting them out in one-purchase sets that don't require you to be playing their wargames was probably one of the best and most timely decisions they've ever made.

What'd you buy

You implying TFA, despite the profits, didn't kill shit hard. With that setting? I don't want any campaigns in there.

Jervis Johnson is one of the OGs and is still there.

Having to pay extra for blood in a wargame is bullshit no matter how cheap it actually is.