THE WATER IN THIS GEYSER POOL IS SO HOT THAT IF YOU WERE TO STICK YOUR HAND IN AND PULL IT BACK OUT YOUR SKIN AND ALL...

>THE WATER IN THIS GEYSER POOL IS SO HOT THAT IF YOU WERE TO STICK YOUR HAND IN AND PULL IT BACK OUT YOUR SKIN AND ALL YOUR HAND TISSUE WOULD COME OFF LIKE A GLOVEᴸᴵᴷᴱ ᴬ ᴳᴸᴼⱽᴱ! AND YOU WOULD BE LEFT WITH B O N E H A N D !

How would adventurers use this thing?
What if they just came across it and didn't know what it was?

Other urls found in this thread:

globalnews.ca/news/3072982/man-who-dissolved-after-falling-into-acid-hot-spring-in-yellowstone-national-park-was-looking-for-a-place-to-soak/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Depends on how stupid the players are.

This shit gives off heat, a lot of heat. Unless your party's retarded(plausible) then they won't just jump right in.

A small town has formed near the geysers, they use the geysers for executions.

>A pool of steaming, oddly colored water, around which every loving thing has died.
Even if you didn't know what it was, very few people would ever be dumb enough to try to drink from this. Also, you would be able to feel the heat coming off the water long before you touch it, so not many people try doing that either.

Sounds hot!

>B O N E H A N D
Use it to become skeletons.

>few people would ever be dumb enough to try to drink from this

My Dwarf 'cannonballs' into every body of water he sees. It's tradition.

Sounds like a necromancer's wet dream. Alternatively, you could use it either to dump enemies on it or as a cheap, renewable heat (and/or energy) source

>How would adventurers use this thing?

Cook food.

What happens if I dip my bag of holding in it?

>implying races with innate heat resistance/immunity wouldn't be enjoying the everloving fuck out of it

It drains some water.

Knowing my guys, they'd probably build a shitter over it.

If you put flesh covered bones in the pool, the skin comes off like a glove, BUT if you dip a skeleton in the water it comes out covered in skin like a glove.
This "hot spring" was made by a vain lich that missed the flesh, but they could never get the skin suit to look right, so they abandoned it.

E.Z flesh removal for newly minted liches. Give your bones that "Hundred years lying out in the desert sun" look in just a few seconds!

Ah, the grave of a fire spirit.

Sometimes you can still coax out its powers from the ash around the pool.

The edges are actually cold. That's why it hasn't melted the snow next to it. It's just the middle that's hot. I still wouldn't recommend drinking it though, it looks sulfurous and probably smells like ass.

Shit, we could use it to threaten skeletons with the curse of being fleshy meatbags.

This would be exceptionally useful for the tort-I mean "intense questioning" of undead.

>every loving thing has died.
The Pool of Melancholy has drained the joy and love form one county of the realm, you and your childhood friends must find a way to lift the curse if Dromardy is to ever see smiles again!

That’s not snow, the ground around hot springs like this one are a material called “sinter.”

If it's so dangerous, why is the platform within easy jumping distance?

Well, not the whole ground, just the white crust on top.

>Not taking the water from the geyser as it runs off down the stream and building a channel from a cold stream and mixing the two and having hot spring baths.

America why you so backwards?

can i fuck it?

what I wanted to do in a campaign, is have geyser pools be somewhere that a dragon subspecies hangs out, so maybe they put their treasure in there?

It's a test.

Personally I would use it to fulfill my lifelong dream of being a skeleton.

no you fucking pervert

>acktually.jpg.gif.webm

In physics, superheating (sometimes referred to as boiling retardation, or boiling delay) is the phenomenon in which a liquid is heated to a temperature higher than its boiling point, without boiling. Superheating is achieved by heating a homogeneous substance in a clean container, free of nucleation sites, while taking care not to disturb the liquid.

At higher pressures, the boiling temperature also increases.

However, in the pic related provided, the water will never be hotter the boiling.

i was wondering about this.
if it's really hot then why the fuck is it not boiling?

superheating is so tough to do it's virtually impossible even with high tech

I would use it to give myself a permanent boner

>the water will never be hotter than boiling

Explain this:

>“In very short order, there was a significant amount of dissolving,” Veress said.

globalnews.ca/news/3072982/man-who-dissolved-after-falling-into-acid-hot-spring-in-yellowstone-national-park-was-looking-for-a-place-to-soak/

It's both very fucking hot and very fucking acidic. Not just boiling.

Godspeed, son of the mountain.

Did you read the article? He fell in, he was in there for at least a day, and the acid ate him away. Nothing about it being hotter than boiling.

I'm pretty sure the acidity had more to do with it than the temperature

There was a guy who jumped into one of these to save his dog, his last words before boiling were, why did I do that, that was a bad idea.

There's a reason smart adventurers carry 10 foot poles and a bag of marbles.

You'll be able to discover any special acidic pools and discover what they are before dipping a toe in or filling your waterskin.

>Even if you didn't know what it was, very few people would ever be dumb enough to try to drink from this. Also, you would be able to feel the heat coming off the water long before you touch it, so not many people try doing that either.
You have very high hopes for my players.

I mean, how stupid do you have to be?

M A G I C
A
G
I
C

>college graduation trip having recently graduated

It's just water, and people bathe in hot springs all the time. Even monkeys do it. What's the big deal?

Build a town nearby, start a cult
convince the townsfolk the pool has a spirit
it demands a sacrifice once a moon

I am sure we can think of where to go from there afterwards

Well, the "full of minerals" and "more caustic than acid battery" might play a part, then again, taking a dip into battery acid is not the best of ideas even if one ignores the "scalding, almost boiling" part.

What befuddles me is the idea that someone was dumb enough to do just that in recent times.

Minerals dissolved in water can alter the temperatures at which it freezes and boils. Adding 58 grams of water to a litre of water raises its boiling point to 100.5 degrees celcius. Interestingly, the hotter water gets, the larger the quantity of minerals that can be dissolved in it, and thus the higher the boiling point of that water gets. Look at that water, and tell me how pure it looks?

Then again, the phrase "the water will never be hotter than boiling" is still _technically_ correct (the best kind of correct!), but the temperature it needs to reach to _be_ boiling can go up.

>Adding 58 grams of water to a litre of water raises its boiling point

Also, acids become more effective at higher temperatures. If you've got bad lime-scaling on the inside of a kettle, pour in some vinegar (which is food safe diluted acetic acid) - it won't clean much out, but if you boil that kettle of vinegar, when it's done it will be perfectly clean (okay, very vinegary smelling, but that rinses of with water, no lime scaling left)

The same thing applies here - if the water in that spring is even mildly acidic, the pumping the temperature up around or over 100 degrees C will make it super strong.

> water to a litre of water
Ka-derp. I meant to say salt.

Undead dont have CHA so you cant intimidate them... or that cant intimidate you; i dont remember which

All jesting aside, jumping into one of these would be a pretty good way to go.

If skeletons cannot intimidate, that's completely fucking retarded

Well, although animate, they are just objects. A table or boot cant intimidate someone, so why would a pile of bones?

Guys...I have an idea. We find out where the water flows, get a geomancer to make a spring running from it to a more scenic spot, figure out a way to cool the water to a more manageable temperature, and then get a construction crew to get started on building an inn around that.

Bonus points if we can somehow get it run far enough to put it be near enough to a mountain to make it a ski resort as well.

If yourdesk started moving right now you would have a heart attack
But also even mundane corpses are creepy. Scary, even, if you don't expect them

Funny story, the town of mammoth in the north of Yellowstone has a river(fucking ice melt cold) and a number of hot springs that pop out of the hill above and right next to the stream. Basically you can wade in the stream and choose your temperature by getting closer to the bank for hotter water. Of course we can’t have nice things and the rangers will fine you bucks for swimming there if they catch you nowadays.

>he think that really hot water will just dissolve stuff

The lack of body hair surprises me.

>ᴸᴵᴷᴱ ᴬ ᴳᴸᴼⱽᴱ!
How the fuck you do that? Anyway:
BEHOLD THE SKELLINGTON ARMY! FRESH FROM THE SAUNA OF DEATH!

The water in that geyser is mixed with a frightening amount of naturally occuring sulphuric acid. The yellow color around the rim is a deposit of sulphur. Not only is the water at a near boil, its a highly caustic solution of sulphuric acid that does in fact readily disolve flesh. Thats why the water is so clear.

What I want to know is if anyone ever tried to do this and that's why we can say that that is what would happen.

wtf does latent heat work that way?

I thought all the colours come from local microbial flora.

I think I heard somewhere that the green color is mostly from people throwing pennies in and the park rangers have been asking people to stop that.