How to overcome bad rolls for abilities

New to Veeky Forums, my roommates DMing a campaign and wants us to roll for abilities. Im afraid of having bad luck and having a character that can't even do his job right because of a -3 in his main ability score. Im looking to play a rogue, but Im also willing to switch to a Fighter or Wizard if our group needs it. (playing basic classes to understand fundamentals better)

My question is how do overcome bad rolls for main ability scores?
Pic sorta related, only real experience I have with dnd outside a couple shitty campaign in 4th edition and Pathfinder.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HtQNULEudss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rolling the scores and rolling them in order are two different things.

And if you get -3 to Dex or Int, you don't make a Rogue. That simple.

On the other hand, I had a Wizard with -3 Dex who was our team Rogue due to having godlike investigation rolls.

He wants to roll in order and not move the rolls to desired stats. You also have to pick your class and race before rolling.

>He wants to roll in order and not move the rolls to desired stats.

Fine.

>You also have to pick your class and race before rolling.

No.

Wherever he's gotten this idea from, he's misunderstood it.

is he willing to let you reroll if its shit?

Well, then it's tough luck. You just gotta roll and see what you get.

Then you gotta be smart about the choices you make to mitigate losses. If you become a clumsy rogue, then play it like one.

Rogue can be:
STR or CON: Thug
DEX: Thief, Assassin
INT: A forger or fence
WIS: A street urchin
CHA: A con artist

The possibilities are many. A rogue is not measured by their Dex score alone.

The DM seems rather unfair with it though. Usually the unconventional characters come from ideas, not necessity.

Rolled 4, 1, 2, 1, 1, 4, 4, 2, 2, 6, 4, 3, 5, 4, 1, 2, 4, 1 = 51 (18d6)

lets see what happens

What edition are you guys playing? 5th, I assume? Regardless, you're in a tough spot but this guy has the right idea Wow that's shit

STR 07
DEX 06
CON 08
INT 13
WIS 10
CHA 07

Looks like a crummy wizard. Probably make him a high elf to bump the int up to 14 and the dex up to a less shitty 8. keep him in the back and add buff spells or spells with no saves, Barkskin, Misty step, Spider climb, Magic missile etc

Rolled 5, 6, 2, 4, 1, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 3, 6, 1, 3, 3, 2, 6, 5 = 66 (18d6)

Got nothing better to do...

Rolling a Halfling Barbarian

STR 13
DEX 8 (+2)
CON 13 (+1 Stout)
INT 12
WIS 7
CHA 13

Not bad, put on some medium armor to make up that relatively bad dex, dual wield longswords and it's set.

Definitely not bad for 3d6 rolls.

See if you guys can draft stats or find out if you can roll three arrays and choose one.

It's been a while down the line and also as an array

Rolled 2, 2, 6, 5, 6, 2, 3, 6, 1, 6, 1, 2, 4, 1, 4, 5, 4, 4 = 64 (18d6)

It's been so long I ruined it.

Just talked it over with the DM.
Rules are that I CAN choose where my stats go for rolls, one reroll per ability. Must choose race and class before hand.

Its his first time DMing so im not faulting him for rules, I think this is pretty fair all things considered.

Thanks for all the advice, It's going to help a lot.

Don't participate in his campaign. If he asks why just politely tell him that you're not a fan of being forced to play a character who's capabilities are completely out of your control.

Never forget that GMs who do this are scum. It's your character, not his. If you want to make a dribbling retard who's great with a sword but can barely carry a sentence then that's your prerogative. It's the GMs job to work his campaign around the party.

Str 10-2
Dex 13+2
Con 10
Int 09
Wis 09
Cha 13+2
pathfinder Halfling sorcerer or oracle

With an array I'd probably do the exact same.

I didn't see your update above. That's fair to work with.

Tell him that he's being absurd and that's not how you do things. It's not fair shoehorning you into something that you might not be able to play with the stats that you rolled.

Try to convince him to do point buy instead, seeing as it seems like you're all new players. That way you'll be able to have decent stats that work with whatever race/class you want

I would like to change it to point buy, but he has his heart sit on the idea of "not being able to control your own fate". I agree with you,(and yes we are all new players, except for one guy who want be entering the campaign until later.) but Im not going to cause a ruckus for his first time DMing. With these rules, I have enough options to make sure Im not "up a creek without a paddle."

> mfw my DM tried to settle say I have no free will and DnD mirrors that.

>mfw my DM tried to settle say I have no free will and DnD mirrors that.
Now that's a red flag if I've ever seen one.

>he has his heart sit on the idea of "not being able to control your own fate"
there are systems that have this built in with character creation where you roll for everything, race, class, background, stats, appearance, gender. But in those systems, they're usually balanced so that a low stat's not crippling, there's either a small range of possible stats or easy ways to increase it/get other bonuses or both. Trying to implement that sort of system in D&D (where stat modifiers for certain stats in each class are a much bigger deal) just mean some people are going to feel like shit because their wizard has 8 int and can't cast any spells.

It's more realistic but too much realism can be an issue
youtube.com/watch?v=HtQNULEudss

Don't roll for abilities and don't join games that make you roll for abilities.

tell him to DM WFRP2e instead. Roll for job, then roll for stats, in order.
>roll ratcatcher
>slay rats in the sewer
>thankless job but someone has to do it
>discover the lair of the rat king
>rat the size of a man
>slay it in mortal combat aided only by your terrier and judiciously poisoned cheese
>haul the corpse to the surface, Witch hunters become convinced that you are some manner of heretic consorting with beastmen below the city
>flee east
>encounter a despondent cook and a hedge wizard
>your adventures begin on the border of Sylvania

WFRP 2e is irredeemably awful though.

Not OP but man I want to run WF some day. It's definitely high on my list to run.

i'm so sorry that your speshul wizard died bloody instead of becoming a magical hero, but a lot of people want to play a game where magic has great power with great risk, and you're as likely to die of tetanus as the arrow that gave it to you. Heroic fantasy has its place, but sometimes it's good to play some useless bastard who makes it through combat by the skin of his teeth and a small pile of loaded crossbows.

What did he mean by this?

magic users in WFRP are very likely to blow themselves up or accidentally summon Daemons whenever they cast a spell, and combat is incredibly lethal. you have usually about 10 HP and your average sword deals 1d10+2.

>literally retard-level abilities for starting characters (60% chance to succeed on the easiest possible tasks)
>abysmal success rates for even the best possible characters
>combat is rolling d100 until someone dies, everything else is not worth even trying

>inb4 "just homebrew good combat yourself"
Retard.

>combat is incredibly lethal. you have usually about 10 HP and your average sword deals 1d10+2.
Hit chances range from 30 to 40%, enemies get a parry of 30-40% which negates the attack at no consequence, and when the attack finally does hit, you have toughness bonuses and armor to compete with. You're rolling a raw 1d10 for damage. It's not lethal. Combat in WFRP is a boring slog in which nothing happens for potentially hours, until someone suddenly gets lucky and actually manages to do something.

>not being able to control your own fate

Jesus Christ, user let me put it in a way that the DM would understand.

A person growing up with -3 to Dexterity is not going to become a Rogue, just as a scrawny runt is not going to be a battleaxe-wielding Barbarian.

Magic isn't even that risky in the game. Most of the """"consequences"""" don't actually do anything of note. The real struggle of being a wizard in that game is advancing through the first two careers because of the ridiculous trappings requirements. Until then you're stuck flinging shitty magic darts.

And while we're at it, the career system is nonsense in general. You basically have to interrupt the ongoing plot whenever you feel like getting better. GMs have to tailor the rewards they give you with your next career in mind. If the GM doesn't accomodate you, you're fucked. And they have to do it for the whole party. It's unwieldy as hell.

The most boring fight I've ever seen there was two guys shooting at each other with guns. Jesus Christ, guns are shit in WHFB

>30 to 40% WS
+20% All Out Attack
>Parry
requires a half action in advance
>raw of 1d10 for damage
>armor to compete with
2 AP max unless you have full plate and are walking around in it, +2 or 3 TB.
>vs
1d10+SB+1 flail
>parry
half action in advance and is about as useful as in the Dark Heresy etc W40kRP games. situational, not essential. also doesn't help against a 1d10+4 pistol with impact.
is it as rocket taggy as a 2d10+8 pen 14 melta? no. is it grindy? no.
>GMs have to tailor the rewards they give you with your next career in mind. If the GM doesn't accomodate you, you're fucked. And they have to do it for the whole party
you end up doing that anyway for most games. Ho hum, do I drop a plasma pistol in this combat, or a rune sword? everybody has simple weapon proficiency, but the Rogue Trader is probably going to want a plasma pistol at some point. so much prep work.
> Most of the """"consequences"""" don't actually do anything of note.
>Unnatural Aura
>anywhere near an Empire city
>nothing_to_see_here.gif

>+20% All Out Attack
Lose your parry to increase your chances to 50%. What a deal!
>requires a half action in advance
Not with another weapon (even a dagger) or shield in hand. No penalties for dual-wielding solely for free parries by the way.

The rest of your post is retarded, I'm not responding to that.

>also doesn't help against a 1d10+4 pistol
>advocating that guns aren't an overpriced pile of shit strictly inferior to all other ranged options
You pretty clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

>The rest of your post is retarded, I'm not responding to that.
oh snap! that's me told!
by the way, how are you going to be parrying 2 fuckers ganging up on you, or do you manage to convince Orks to simply line up and fight you one vs one?

>if the enemies outnumber the PCs 2 to 1, combat gets dangerous
>therefore, the system is highly lethal
Are you really this stupid?

providing an example of a high damage weapon as a counter example to the idea that armor is somehow an impenetrable shield is not advocacy for paying x6 as much per shot compared to a crossbow for the same damage

compare to:
>any D&D edition - chaff enemies are the norm
>RIFTS - juicer gives not one fuck with free dodges
>Apoc World - self explanatory
just to hit the more frequently played highlights.
Yes, it is more lethal in more scenarios than many games.

Rolled 6, 4, 5, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 6, 2, 4, 3, 2, 3, 5, 6, 3, 6 = 62 (18d6)

That's a shit roll bro.

>roland

Str 15, Dex 5, Con 8, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 15.

Not a terrible Paladin.

Rolled 3, 6, 3, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 1, 2, 6, 6, 1, 5, 4, 1, 6, 2 = 61 (18d6)

Why is everyone rolling so poorly? This is a chad roll.

Rolled 2, 2, 5, 4, 2, 1, 6, 5, 6, 1, 4, 4, 3, 1, 5, 5, 3, 4 = 63 (18d6)

I'll show you how it's done

>61, 62, 63

You ass clowns are consistent...

Rolled 6, 3, 1, 3, 4, 4, 1, 6, 1, 6, 4, 2, 5, 1, 4, 1, 4, 4 = 60 (18d6)

>come on dice jew!

SeeThe dice are being shit, maybe go with 4d6 - lowest?

Rolled 1, 3, 6, 5, 3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 2, 3, 6, 6, 4, 2, 6, 5, 6, 5, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 = 97 (24d6)

Rolled 2, 6, 5, 6, 3, 2, 6, 2, 1, 3, 3, 5, 3, 2, 1, 5, 3, 3 = 61 (18d6)

>Being this casual
If I have to play with 3 in every stat field I fucking will.

Str (1, 3, 6, 5) = 14
Dex (3, 4, 6, 5) = 15
Con (2, 2, 3, 6) = 11
Int (6, 4, 2, 6) = 16
Wis (5, 6, 5, 5) = 15
Cha (6, 1, 2, 3) = 11

82 Total.

Rolled 2, 1, 6, 4, 4, 2, 3, 1, 6, 2, 1, 6, 4, 1, 1, 6, 5, 2 = 57 (18d6)

(13, 11, 9, 11, 6, 11) Obviously not very wise.

Rolled 5, 4, 6, 1, 1, 6, 3, 3, 6, 5, 6, 2, 1, 4, 4, 5, 1, 5 = 68 (18d6)

It defeats the point of the "game" to say you have no free will or agency as a player. If that were true, DMs would just monologue the whole time.

Rolled 4, 2, 4, 6, 1, 1, 3, 6, 6, 3, 5, 5, 2, 6, 6, 2, 5, 2 = 69 (18d6)

10, 8, 15, 13, 14, 9

Moon Druid?

Or, have the DM make characters via point-buy and then have the players roll to see who plays what.

I wouldn't call that 'good' but it's a way to encourage people to play new things and not meta too hard. Might work for a funnel.

Any 'at the mercy of fate' story is made interesting by how characters respond to it. I'd love to play a game where the PCs have their deaths predicted in the first scene and the campaign is shaped by how they react to that.

Fuck it I'll add detail.

The party for whatever reason seeks out an oracle for advice & receive a prediction. They will all die in battle. Give a prediction or two, like the fighter's carrying a sword & the wizard turns invisible. Then, you stack the dice to drive them towards their inevitable doom.

Does the fighter abandon swords? Does the wizard refuse to turn invisible? Either way, the character DOES die under the circumstances you predict. Make up a bunch (5 minimum) of ways you can twist the prophecy so you don't have to railroad the fighter into PICKING UP a sword before you kill them.

You'll want cooperative players and ideally a short campaign.

One of my favorite games had the DM making characters with goals, secrets, and short backstories.

What made it work was the builds were specific and themed and ridiculous, but balanced to each other in a way that allowed the builds to work.

The other part that helped was there were slightly more than double the amount of characters as there were players. So you were likely to find something interesting.

>Any 'at the mercy of fate' story is made interesting by how characters respond to it. I'd love to play a game where the PCs have their deaths predicted in the first scene and the campaign is shaped by how they react to that.
Steal a cue from Devil Survivor, where the protagonists are in a lockdown in Tokyo and their party leader sees circles over everyone's heads that show the number of days you have left to live. The max people ever have is 7, some supposedly human beings don't have a reading, and the party themselves have a big 0 over their head.