Thinking about creating a Nightland RPG...

Thinking about creating a Nightland RPG. I think I'll use Powered by the Apocalypse with a heavy emphasis on survival and resource management. Maybe steal some stuff like "sanity" from Delta Green.

Thoughts?

the night land is a horrible setting to base a game on, mostly because you just can't win in any way, form and shape. and there's basically nothing to do but explore before you inevitably die to some overpowered monster lurking and resurrect years later to repeat the process.

at least CoC has mystery solving to keep players busy

How is CoC? Aren't there better systems that you can tack sanity/madness onto? Never played.

it's okay, although the premise is just 'investigate stuff, banish eldritch shit, try to not to go insane the first time you see something alien or shoot yourself in the face accidentally', you can have a good time roleplaying it with friends.

and to add to my early post, the night land wouldn't work as a survival RPG either because you literally cannot survive outside the last redoubt, there's just too much hostile shit around and even the protagonist of the book who was pretty much THE warrior couldn't face half the monsters he encountered.

>Wikipedia compared the mechanics to RuneQuest but then did a 180 and named GURPS
fuck you too Wikipedia.
why no /CoC general/?

Because they're usually called /ysg/ as some sort of in joke about yog-sothoth.
I don't have the _most_ experience with GURPS, but it's definitely more like RuneQuest than GURPS, hell, I don't know why you'd compare it to GURPS at all.

Seconding this. It's a very hopeless setting where you can't really accomplish anything, not even the small victories you can score in a mythos based campaign

Got pastebin?

The CoC general is actually called the Yog-Sothothery General, /ysg/, and comes up every now and again. It's mostly a lore thread, but I'm sure you can get some advice on CoC there if you ask.

This is my feeling too. Unless you made it so that humans could fight against supernatural threats in some capacity, it would basically be romping around in the Night Land barely avoiding death at every turn. The setting is too lethal to do stuff like explore or discover the mysteries of the Night Land too.

You could make the premise "get from one place to another alive" as in the book's plot, but that effectively renders the RPG a one time thing.

Perhaps a board game then, with scenarios and adventures to run? Like

bumping because want pastebin link

WTF do you mean? The /ysg/s are still in Veeky Forums's archive, and even then, it's not like 4plebs doesn't exist
RIP archive.moe

Oh yeah retardanon is retarded sorry

I like the idea of a Ryuutama, except instead of being about honobono and nature and shit, it's about, you know, about the imminent twilight of humanity.

Actually, that already kind of happened:

>When asked how exactly a journey with a black dragon is supposed to work, Ryuutama's author described one campaign he did where the PCs were travelling through the end of the world with the full knowledge they were likely to be the last people to see most of the sights they saw, if not the last people period to go travelling.

I've seen this posted before and I still don't know the first thing about it.

What is this?

The OG Cosmic Horror setting that inspired Lovecraft. It’s the end of the world, and humanity is basically just waiting for the end. Even capital G God isn’t capable of holding back the Powers of Evil forever. The sun and stars are gone, and the Last Redoubt of humanity (a massive fuckhuge pyramid) is surrounded on all sides by sheer hellish NOPE.

Here's a VERY short summary from another thread:
>tl;dr for the setting, it's millions of years in the future, the sun went out millions of years ago, and for millions of years humanity has survived in only one place- the Great Redoubt. The outside is stalked by bizarre creatures and phenomena that mean inevitable death for any who exit, but still occasionally men set out on quixotic quests into the Night Land. There is some evidence that there is some positive force looking out for mankind, but it is weaker and more subtle than the forces of entropy. Mankind has evolved to a near-perfect state of existence and collapsed back into ignorance countless times, all within the confines of this single megastructure. The only tenuous link to the past is a small number of people with the psychic ability to recall their previous reincarnations.

Try setting your RPG in the kingdom death monster world. Still very dark and hopeless but you can at least kill things.

So is this where the pizza cutter in blood borne came from?

Also, titties. I mean sometimes they'll be on scary monsters but it seems like a good bit of the time they'll be on hot cave ladies