Should characters get bonuses for wearing intimidating garments?

Should characters get bonuses for wearing intimidating garments?

God, early modern european clothing was so fucking creepy

and erotic

>so fucking creepy
Mindbogglingly so. They were like alien dinosaurs in human guise.

Creepy and erotic early-modern European cuties thread?

What was it with Cranach and all his female characters having those "fuck me" eyes?

Some people think this literally. That humanity was infiltrated by these lizards and have taken us over. Hard to say where they came from or when they began their invasion.

>I'm scared of clothes

Actually, why DID people run around in public looking like this ? Was it just fashion or was there an actual utilitarian purpose?

Id say it should be a situational bonus, maybe when rolling againts certain kind of people like kids

Well it makes you look bigger which helps to scare off predators

> which helps to scare off the Spanish
fixed

You'd think the Catalonians would try it these days, but nope.

This makes me both scared and erect.

Fashion, plain and simple. The upper middle class of 16th century Europe was all over the insanely rlaborate ruff. It stuck on in Denmark where the priests wear them as part of their ceremonial outfit.

Queen Elizabeth I supposedly wore a ruff ten yards long, just tonget enough folds and creases.

(Not pic related, just wanted to show off another of her outfits)

WHY DOES HER CLOTHING HAS EYES?!

So it can see

Robe of Eyes, never get caught flat-footed.

It also has ears.

Its called "conspicuous consuption". Its literally fashion based on showing status and wealth. Originally, having lace and ruffles around your collar and cuffs showed that you were not intending to perform manual labour, as well as that you could afford to decorate your undergarments, not just your outer garments. As the fashion spread, the rich- who would have their shirts and chemises directly decorated and are purposefully useless and somewhat inconvenient. - were emulated by the lesser classes, who would make modular cuffs and collars, which could be worn with their normal base layers to dress up for formal occasions.

This particular fashion, like most fashions, eventually got quite literally bigger and bigger, until fashion does as it will, and backlashes, bringing less ostentatious neckwear into fashion. The old Black Adder skit where Percy's ruff collar gets bigger and smaller every other scene comes to mind.

Pic related. Most of the non upperclasses just used modular cuffs and collars.

Oh, and obviously depending on the size of the ruff, its also conspicuous consumption in the amount of material used.

how the fuck am I to narrate that outfit, I don't know half of the words for what makes it special

nowadays this can be seen in having stuff in your breast pocket, showing that you aren't doing any kind of work where you would even contemplate ever bending down.

I mean you'll have to be a complacent aristocrat to EVER use breast pockets, what are they for.

>wearing clothing without eyes

I'm a waiter and I store my pens and notepad (it's tiny) in my breast pocket. Pens have clips for a reason man.

Using prostitutes as modles I'd wager

Fuck me, I got up this morning intending to look for this picture, but I couldn't remember the name.
I open up Veeky Forums and bam, there it is. Talk about synchronicity.

Unlikely. Lucas Cranach's models were generally German nobility. He was popular and well respected, being in his art was an honor and a good way to get a good husband for one of your daughters.

His Three Graces paintings were so successful he kept having to do sequels to them.

They wanted to fuck him. Duh.

Clothing made of behelits, what will the british think up next?

Codpiece of the alpha-stud

a large red hat with ostrich feathers, with a pearl-studded hair covering. The popular style of puff and slash adorns her shoulders and elbows, along with the knuckles of her white gloves. A heavy gold chain is wrapped twice round her neck, with a wide gold band affixed to her white collar. Various rings adorn her fingers, studded with rubies

>...She has a look half way between "You can call me mommy" and "I can take your life at any time"

This is Salome, right?

kek

Why don't we ever see Sharkmen nobles with frilly clothes?

Cause frilly clothes just get all over the place when you're underwater.

>Should characters get bonuses for wearing intimidating garments?
No. There should never be a modifier that is not granted either in character creation or character advancement.

Can the acquisition and donning of clothing ever be character advancement?

So no tactical advantage, or backstab bonuses?

Only if it is gained as a class feature after defeating encounters for xp

Of course not. I dont have to know how to cast spells to play a character that casts spells, so I also shouldn't have to know how to apply situational bonuses in order to play a character that uses situational elements to their advantage.

Queen E the first was also one of the baddest bitches in history. Mad respect

Nope. That's Judith with the head of Holofernes.

The sword is how you can tell. If the qt slut is carrying a sword, she's always Judith. But if she has the head on a platter and is unarmed, then it's Salome.

Ruffs are still in use at some parts of the world.

Gorget is the gentleman's choice of neckwear.

only if your using minis and the model said intimidating clothing. Weird bonuses for random fluffy bits gotta have a bit of inconvenience on the part of the player. If its just pen and paper, then I make you at least try to talk like your back story if your some kind of noble or master not quite reflected by your level.

>I will try to get the queen to get us a better reward, my father is a distant baron and [blah blah blah mary sue]
>ok, how do you address the queen in a proper noble manner?
>.... uhhh can I just roll a diplo?
if you want that bonus you better talk fancy, and it better be embarrassing.

>plus I make people who want bad ass eye patches have bad depth perception on long rang shots. That doesn't even mean anything at all, but watching the mental gymnastics trying to justify having only one eye is some how the same as two is funny.

Indeed

Is that really the 500 y/o suit? Amazing condition if so, but if it's been cared for in the palace all this time guess it could be.

user, pretending to be a retarded faggot only makes you look like a retarded faggot.