/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

Chad Edition

Useful Links: pastebin.com/VwXDe7JX

Previous Thread: Thread questions:
>share the most famous folk tale or story from your setting
>what type of entertainment does your setting have, acting, books, games, sports?
>what kind of mind-altering substances do people in your setting consume?
>how do peasants unwind after a long day of being murderhobo'd?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VG9KzlVXEr0
youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8
youtube.com/watch?v=2hH5I3fdW_4
youtube.com/watch?v=og2kQEqt20k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>plot flails about like mating snakes having a seizure
>vivid colors annihilate people's sense of reality
>somehow lasts over 4 years.

user I think your world has cancer

>Listens to Lucra Turilli and ROF.

Is it weird this is my first time on /wbg/ and I already love you guys?

Alright everyone I made a simple board game for a late antiquity setting, sort of like a basic checkers but without any of the capturing. I tried it once against myself and it seemed to work okay but I wonder what you anons think. It doesn't need to be super intricate but I at least would like the game to work
>each player has 3 pieces on a 6x6 board
>the goal is to move your piece to the back row on the opposite side of the board
>once one piece reaches the back row, the game is over (maybe all pieces instead of one?)
>pieces move one space at a time, in any direction (backwards, forwards, side to side, diagonal)
>however, you cannot move one of your own pieces into spaces directly in front of, behind, or to the sides of an enemy piece
>you can however move into a space directly diagonal to an enemy
>if you cannot move any pieces the game is over
I also need a name for it, something short and catchy. "Stones" maybe, as it can be played with just some lines in the dirt and some colored pebbles

Welcome to the most wholesome autism you'll find on Veeky Forums, we're happy to have ya.

Avenue avenue, even the captchas are whimsical here.

Maybe the proper name for the game is named after the guy who invented it in-setting, like Gunter's Stones. The peasants and other lower classes who play it refer to it as just "stones", while the upper class refers to it as Gunter?

>Most famous folktale
How a group of mighty heroes fought and slew the terrible dragon Gorhazorax, opening the Ganges channel up for safe passage of people and goods.

>Types of entertainment
Chariot racing is popular the world over. The Riochahd Tuagh greatly enjoy wrestling, duels and other sports or contests of strength. In Az Thania, the Sihirita'si have a high degree of literacy, and greatly enjoy fiction, theatre and ritual magical duels. Kah Vandir frowns on art and leisure in general, although they do permit art that venerates the gods. Paintings and music that venerates the gods are popular, as are plays about the gods or readings of the holy books. The Jalrokka mainly favor sculpting and carving statues, favoring physical art that will outlast them when they're gone.

>What kind of mind-altering substances are there?
Beer and alcohol in its many flavors, which are all illegal in Kah Vandir. The Sihirita'si have pioneered opium dens and bars. The shadier parts of their society also use Buyukuluk (Boy-ukh-ool-ukh), shorthand for a variety of powders and fumes created as alchemical waste/by-products that creates a high when ingested, but is also very dangerous. The Sihirita'si are secretly flooding the Tuagh with this dangerous substance and opium to weaken them, leading the Tuagh to declare creating or trafficking the drug to be punishable by death. Zirak and Sons have made a tidy profit selling Sihirita'si opium to the dwarf holds. The Jalrokka are master brewers but struggle to grow opium, so they swap their beer for the mages' green. They also profit hugely from selling beer to the Tuagh, who cannot get enough of dwarven drinks.

>How do peasants unwind after a day of being murderhobo'd?
Depends on the part of the world they live in, see above.

>what type of entertainment does your setting have, acting, books, games, sports?
For the lucky people that lives in the cities, there are plenty of activity such as concert, theater, and social events. In the rural area life is more boring. In the small cities citizen may be able to read and write, but in the isolated villages most of the population still pretty much incivilized. Once every five years, to remember the great victory of men in the war of the elders. All the conflicts are stopped for a month of celebrations and games in all the cities

>what kind of mind-altering substances do people in your setting consume?
In the past drink mixed with fluid magic (in my universe magic is in fact just and old technology) where used, the results where pretty much similar to drugs like AMD and meth, but since magic was uncontrolled, often those not strong enough would be killed or mutate. Since magic has been declared illegal after a war, most drinks and smokes are more "normal"

>how do peasants unwind after a long day of being murderhobo'd?
A normal paesant may just want to go home and beat the shit out of his wife after smoking a magic-infused pipe

What are your dragons like, anons?

What does /wbg/ think of my world? Does anyone else write plays and record music from your world as well?

So I'm trying to come up with ideas about nature vs technology, but not be a hippie about it. I want both nature and technology to be malign powers. Ferngully and Princess Mononoke are some chief inspirations.

Im thinking it starts with pygmy forest gnomes of a great rainforest discover a fallen star that awakens a strange compulsion in them to invent and innovate no matter the cost.

I know what tutorial you used, well done.

But as for criticism: your rivers are too straight. Rivers bend and twist and jig-jag. Do some of that more. Otherwise it's pretty cool.

I remember you from last thread. Is this for a novel/book or game setting?

>go home and beat the shit out of his wife
This made me laugh harder than it should have

Game setting.

I am bothered by the crease.
I mean, I get it, it's a very nice style.
But that's just unnecessary.

There's a crazy God who takes the form of a mountain sized winged lizard that breathes fire, shoots lightning and all the other shit. It exists only to destroy. Dragon's way too crazy to do anything except fly around and eat. Some crazy people explore his territory and observe it, enough to emulate the fucker.
Generally they're also crazy.

There's also "dragons".
See, there's these things, they're proto-gods. As in, they haven't figured out the divine transcendence thing yet. They cannot be killed. Destroyed, yes, but not killed. Most that get destroyed can't reform, but they're *around*. It's a matter of having the willpower and understanding of self to keep going even after you've been Dr Manhattan'd.
But getting there is difficult, and it's very easy to go crazy with power, or just plain crazy from the isolation. These things take on a bestial appearance. They change the world around them. But once gone that far, they can never be Gods. They're just too twisted to go that far. All they want is to feed and kill.
The Dragon's a God who *did* get that far, *then* go crazy. Like pretty much every other God that's been around for long enough.

Okay, then what's your reasoning behind the techno-plague? Not criticizing, just trying to sort through your methodology.

The fallen star is causing a compulsion, and the constant innovations cause the city being built around it to spread and grow. The land is getting sick from the byproducts and results of the city's experiments and developments.

Alright. So you're playing it like a slow-acting disease. I'd look to common signs of illness then and extrapolate things to add. Like, what would a techno-rash look like? A fever? Parasite? It's got a lot of potential.

Need advice for repurposing mundane utility things into martial things.

Idea is that Ancient High Magic Empire is supported by a large number of farms, the large number of which prevents regular oversight. As a result, illegal magics, like body modification, are used in light amounts by these rural communities to make the lives of farmer easier, as they can work longer, lift more, see in the dark, and so on and so forth.

Fast forward to High Magic Empire imploding and fucking literally everything to the point where a number of hills lift up into the air and slam back down periodically like bongos in the night. With no Empire means no enforcement or protection, so the rural communities have to repurpose their old magics and methods.

Currently imagining hulking brutes shaped like pic related, wrapped in wood as hard as stone and leaves as tough and shining as steel, as well as woodsmen with eyes and ears a little too big, with limbs a little too long.

In addition, I'm thinking that they would take spells meant to make plows light enough for a single man to pull to make blades that weigh a hundred pounds but feel as light as ten. Any more ideas for stuff like that?

Propulsion spells could be repurposed to make traps, or possibly improvised siege/hand weapons. Normally it's just a rune marker that knocks a barrel or something from one end of a trough to another. Used to move stuff around a barn or maybe bat away unruly large livestock. Amp up the energy in the rune and suddenly it's an obscenely powerful piston on a hair trigger.

Scatter them around like landmines and if someone steps on it their leg gets shattered. Carve them into the head of a shovel and get a one-time-use Super Sledge to cave in some chump's ribcage. Tweak the energy release and you could make something useful for tossing barrels of pitch or large stones without going through the trouble of building a full catapult or trebuchet.

Spells used for calming animals can be reversed, turning them rabid but with an off-switch. Loose a pack of hounds or hogs on a group of combatants and make them want to kill everything around them. It's not like hogs aren't massive pests anyway.

I really like that third one. I was already thinking that their region would have a lot of mutated animals.

Oooh, what about a catapult that lobs barrels of rabid, metal-eating squirrels?

>Oooh, what about a catapult that lobs barrels of rabid, metal-eating squirrels?
You'd be better off using something you could reasonably wrangle a lot of on a ranch or farm. Rats would probably be better, since they love living around people for their scraps.

There's a mad cow disease joke to be made here

The greater threat must be kept in secret at first, of course, but you're not supposed to beat the necromancer before finding out about it; he is by no means the fake final boss, but simply the "bad guy" at the beginning of the plot.
Make it so everything is blamed to him even though he's not the cause for everything that is happening to the setting.

The hell are you talking about?

What IRL nations are your fictional nations based on and how?

I fucked up the quote, sorry about that.
Meant to reply to from the previous thread.

You had to ask question I like you git.

(this is a minor planet in a Star Wars campaign)

The big epic is a jumbled retelling of a grueling 3000-year voyage across the galaxy against impossible odds. It was very heroic and did not involve 50-odd stops for colonization, repopulation and genocide. The ship is still around, broken beyond repair and overgrown.

The people are big on their warrior culture. Bards are a big deal, book learning isn’t. There’s a lot of physical sports, mostly one on one. Team sports need a lot of ritual not to get out of hand.

There’s mainly alcohol and assorted teas, and those get combined into tinctures. There's still some hint of a medical tradition so most of these things will be decently prepared by people who have an idea what plant does what and even breed the plants for better effect.

Drink the pain away and sleep. Being a peasant is pretty shit, especially if you don’t have a knight protecting you. A knight is anyone with a jezzail, and a jezzail is a shitty blaster built from hardware stolen off offworlders.

>folktale
Not THE most famous but one that connects to the most, is how the Goddess of Nature who died to save the world from a force of primal darkness is still around.
A God of Blood saw the sacrifice she made, the new forces coming to power in the vacuum, and stole her corpse away. He spent all of himself to remake her and put a divine spark in the new flesh. It worked, but she is known only by a few secretive followers, as an extension of the Blood God's worship, they also worship the new Goddess of Strife, Life, and the Lost. All she wants is that her followers gratefully gasp every breath.

>entertainment
After the example of a War spirit, splitting its essence between the 20 greatest mortal warriors and speaking through them, comes "The twenties". Every 400 (20x20) weeks there are competitions ranging from track-and-field, to fencing, to chess. The 20 original core competitions are given great adulation amongst the sporting world.
Otherwise it's got the standard stuff.

>Drugs
Osmdu, named for the sound you involuntarily make if you let it stay on your tongue (tastes bad as fuck). It's made of psilocybin fermented into spirits. Widespread in certain countries, hard to find otherwise. Worth usually 5 minutes of description of the crazy per drink.

>Unwind
I usually actually describe the peasantry engaging in various fetes and celebratory activities. A lively world is one where adventuring is both worthwhile and possible. There's often not an exceptional reason for these goings-on, but the occasion is made by the NPCs... and sometimes the PCs even helped join in.

There's the Erymian Empire which is based on the Roman Empire, except it got taken over by a necromancer so the only land they have left is their overseas colonies, which they are using to plan an invasion to reconquer their homeland.

There's the massive Wendesian Republic, which is based on the French Republic. They used to be ruled by a cult of witches that would sacrifice people alive to gain power. However, eventually guns came along and a peasant revolt happened, ousting the witches and installing a somewhat stable republic in its place. They tend to be isolationist, although they are very well defended.

There's the Homunculi, which live in outposts on the various mountain regions. They used to be humans with a somewhat rural West Virginian culture, but they were kidnapped by a Titan (basically a fallen angel in the setting) and were mutated and indoctrinated into becoming his servants.

There's Armío, which is a nation of fanatically religious people who had until relatively recently been the slaves of various giants, witches, and vampire lords, with their masters switching quite frequently but their slavery remaining constant. After a religious prophet spread his message to them, they fought a war for their freedom, and have since existed in a state of extreme caution. They exist close to the Wendesian Republic, and they have a culture that can best be described as Vietnam guerillas combined with American right-wing militias.

There's the Silver Cities, a confederation of libertarian free-market metropolises existing on an island that has historically been in the center of a very important sea trade route. They hire mercenaries to do their defense for them, they tend to use criminals for espionage and spying abroad, and their governments tend to be anywhere from weak to non-existent. Despite this, they maintain good relations with other nations because they are a highly profitable friend to have, and because they're a bitch to invade.

cont.

>Cont.

Pic related
They start off humanoid and well-reasoned. Born live.
As they age, they grow taller and more robust, putting on this weight if they have the food to. Over time their wings, horns, and tails come in, their skin becomes tough and leathery and their faces elongate.
Think like Frogs, growing from Tadpoles... if the Tadpoles were humanoid.

The ones we spend the most time in is rather heavily Saxon/Scandinavian; others are Ural-Thracian and then still more based on cuh-ray-zee badlands survivalist cultures akin to Fallout with renaissance level tech and psionic superstitions.

The Silver Cities are kind of based off a mixture of places like Switzerland and Hong Kong and Singapore.

Finally, there's the Akaron Kingdom. It is currently in a state of 3-way civil war, with a populist dictatorship, a military junta, and a monarchy lead by a Titan all duking it out for control of the nation. This all happened largely because the King had decided to adopt a Titan baby as his heir after his firstborn son was killed in war and his only remaining heir and daughter died of Typhus. However, this decision was highly polarizing, leading to an attempted military coup and destabilizing the region. This caused a civil war which tore the nation in two. Both sides turned to totalitarian measures to win the war, which cause much of the peasantry to rally under a charismatic leader promising them equality and freedom (although time would eventually prove him to be just as authoritarian) and thus the civil war became a clusterfuck of 3 factions fighting. The King has recently died, leaving his adopted Titan daughter to lead the monarchist faction to victory or death. The Kingdom of Akaron is based off of Tsarist Russia and has a similar culture.

this has nothing to do with the worldbuilding itself, but damn I love the way you did the wings

Nice user
I love the poorer, low-tech locations in sf settings

If you're closely basing your fictional countries on real ones... run a real world campaign.

>Ural-Thracian
Umm, what?

Love the dual-purpose hogs. Love me some adventurer-enriched bacon!

Thank you. I wasn't sure how it'd look to tothers but yeah. Have some more. The aforementioned Life Goddess, a literal mother earth figure.
Sarmatians and Scythians, with maybe a splash of Getae. Paleo-Baltic stuff is what I was going for.

>here's the Erymian Empire which is based on the Roman Empire, except it got taken over by a necromancer
sup Illwinter

user who was asking for omnicidal Necromancer motivations last thread back. Still haven't got anything that's really clicked for me yet.

Thinking about it did raise another question, though - his lieutenants. What are some good secondary antagonists who would work for someone that wants to wipe out or enslave everything he can reach? While I'm thinking to play the Necromancer fairly straight, these guys can be whatever seems interesting and difficult for the party to resolve.

Call it Passant, from the term for moving a pawn behind an enemy pawn in chess?

Or maybe Horns, since the two sides are locking horns and trying to encircle the other?

I can't think of a single real game named after a person like that. Just doesn't sound right.

sentient, independent undead and mortals who have lost touch with society are the ideal followers of a necromancer

Not to dump on you specifically with malice, but I am so very tired of everyone making long strings of z and x and u and y with random apostrophes and such in their naming.

A witch who aided the necromancer in his rise or who is trying to steal his power
A fallen paladin
A lich or vampire or something who is serving as his advisor
A wight who he's enslaved to guard a place

He's asking for specific ideas and motivations, I think. Based on last thread he seems to run a campaign very focused on character drama.

Unfortunately I mostly run games where people smash monsters and steal their shit.

A zealot who thinks humanity must be purged and sees the necromancer as a messiah, the mandatory killer who kills for the evulz, a shady guy who wants to secretly mind-control the necromancer to be the true ruler of the undead empire, someone who genuinely thinks humanity becoming undead would lead to a better life (no diseases and so on) if done correctly, and finally a heap of corpse put together who kept, or rather fused, his soul/mentality; not all the undead have to be mindless, and those who aren't can help as lieutenants.

Alternatively you can have the necromancer himself fit in one of these mindsets, if you like them; I would most likely choose the better society without diseases one among them, depicted in a crazy, twisted way of course.

By the way I'm this user , not sure if you haven't read my idea even though it is different from the one you had in mind.

a warlock who's patron is trying to manipulate the necromancer into doing something that would benefit him

My bad, I thought it was linked to the mad cow thing.

I'd rather play his pretty straight, even if he's not the ultimate evil if the party gets high enough that I need a new one, but I'm not really feeling him doing it all for the greater good sort of motivation. Probably just seen that particular twist a few times too many lately.

In a way I think he should be fairly mundane - he's not trying to unmake existence or anything, he would be happy to rule over his kingdom of the dead for quite a while.

A small variant would be him not doing it for the greater good, but simply because it works well.
Like there are two big countries at war, with the one the necromancer is part of that is completely losing.
Then the necromancer decides to transform the whole country in undead to beat the other empire, or something like that.
This might as well be the premise, with the war already ended.

The scenario you're imagining could work fine with the better society mindset, if you ask me.

My space setting looks kinda boring.
Any suggestions?

>The space is 2D ocean
>The space consists of dark brownish nebulae, filled with clouds of dust, smaller colder stars, and planetary systems with lots of rocky planets (or at least moons), and blue clear stretches, where stars are more scattered, virtually no shielding dust clouds, planets are rare and mostly are moonless gas giants. Yes, its basically sea and islands/continents, sort of.

>Largest nebula consists of following regions
>Iron Stars - an area with many planetary systems rich in iron and other metal, very valuable for warfare

>Seething Stars - mainly young bright orange stars close together in a dense dust cloud. Small planetoids appear all the time, get tossed here and there by gravitational forces of multiple stars, get hurled through star coronas, turning into lava in the process, and eventually expelled in all directions, so space in and around the region is full of streaking meteors of molten stone. Dangerous to navigate, but contains a wealth of rare elements only found in planetary cores and the like.

>Dark Clouds - stars are rare in this region, and its filled with thick dust clouds, which often hide black holes, gravastars and neutron stars. This difficult to navigate region has several ancient star systems with powerful kingdoms and offers shortcuts between important inhabited areas to those willing to brave it.

>Azure Sea - small isolated area of cloudless space with enormous bright giant star on its "shore". As an easily traversible area it is surrounded by many kingdoms, and the bright giant's system was once the seat of the Cosmic Empire

>Old Dominion - lying "south" of the Azure Sea, the thick nebula has many planetary systems and once was the heartlands of Cosmic Empire

The Old Lords are returning.

awaken my masters

Make up more interesting names. Have planets but have them be flat.

>Have planets but have them be flat.
you mean like Assguard in MCU?

Is it flat? Then yes.

Well it could be worse. He could be listening to WoW garbage like gloryhammer

hm, you mean alongside spherical planets, or make ALL planets flat?

I would say keep gas giants round (and then maybe treat going near them as going through a kind of "gas storm" or something) and then have the solid planets be flat, like islands. Really play up the space ocean angle, if that's what you're going for.

Post music to listen to for inspiration

youtu.be/VG9KzlVXEr0

>Inland beyond the North sages spoke of a sarsen door
>At the mouth of the sea
>For some centuries now it's agreed Earth is hollow throughout
>And we're forging a key

youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8
>First 5:15 is perf
youtube.com/watch?v=2hH5I3fdW_4
youtube.com/watch?v=og2kQEqt20k
I find the fewer lyrics the better for the creative process.

That's beautiful in its own right. Please tell me everything is actually neon in the campaign.

why is geography so important to Veeky Forums worldbuilders?

i couldn't give less of a shit what kind of green plot of land you place into an ocean, i only care what goes on there. you could make a computer program that spits out these things. there's nothing unique or interesting about them.

>>Veeky Forumsbgg

I'd play by email or whatever if you want to, depends on when you're on. xonees @zoho .com

pls no dox

Immersion sounds like a bit from the Bladerunner 2049 soundtrack. Good shit, user.

No, running the campaign is more than enough work.

>why is geography so important to Veeky Forums worldbuilders?
Because geography forms culture and politics. It's literally step 1 in developing a civilization.

wouldn't it make more sense to write something interesting, then design the world to suit it? so you can actually tell an interesting story instead of an interesting map?

>Ferngully
Going to check that it. Nausicaa of the valley of the wind is a must for you.

I'd need more of what you're doing to give ideas probably, sounds cool though.

>wouldn't it make sense to do the same thing but with a different method
I mean, yes. But neither method is less valid than the other.

i disagree, stories are more interesting than maps to anyone who isn't a Veeky Forums geography autist

i mean if you just like drawing maps then that's cool but to me, it makes no sense to call it worldbuilding

>Because geography forms culture and politics
Any concrete example?

Self-satisfaction I suppose, or a desire for "realness." It's not that hard to create a piece of land which abides by the general rules of geography without being too picky. Rivers flow down, and don't usually fork, don't put a jungle right next to a frozen waste, deserts are dry, ect.

More important I think in fantasy is having the world map be at least aesthetically pleasing, and many people here fail pitifully at just that. Many people here have posted embarrassingly ugly maps I would laugh at if I saw IRL

Also, it seems many here want to make some huge giant world with many continents thousands of miles across, when in the scope of the game people can travel maybe 30 miles a day at most in a medieval like setting. People need to actually flesh out the details of one place before attempting grander things

My setting is in a flat planet. It's basically a coin with a different plane on the back, something that won't come up for a long, long time but I'll probably have a sailing of the edge of the world scene if we get there.

i actually like the map you have there a lot more. it contains more than enough area for a typical campaign and it has a wide variety of terrains and encounters. you know, stuff that's important for storytelling

Vikings raided due to lacking an abundance of resources in their territory
Mongols had strong cavalry due to a culture born on on plains where horses were a staple of life
Several african cultures were/are nomdic due tot he unreliability of rainfall making sedentary life risky
Major cities are almost always near rivers or coastlines due to the numerous options in agriculture, transportation, etc that provides. Even now the most populous cities in the world are built on estuaries

I started with a middle ocean for future plot raisins. The land dictates the rivers, the rivers dictate the early cities, cities the roads, roads the towns, and all of that the kingdoms or whatever.

Also a nice map is asethetic and pleasing and rando shit like deserts anywhere, backwards ass rivers and nonsense fault lines and mountains hacking islands in half bothers me.

The map in the first place is just a visual aid, like a list of NPC names, but if you're going to do a thing you should do it well.

If you don't like maps that's fine but if you truly don't understand why others do then I feel kind of bad for you.

One of the largest fixtures in Egyptian mythology is the Nile, so there's one for culture.

Sweden is a gigantic pain in the ass to invade so they get away with being neutral quite often (thanks to being mountainous as fuck). So there's politics. Also stuff like weather patterns dictating movement, forming political boundaries with rivers or mountains, the presence of a water route to funnel trade through a certain location (the entire reason for New Orleans' existence was it's port).

Several Native American tribes had cultures that revolved heavily around the plains buffalo. Building techniques for shelters varied highly depending location and tribal culture, such as the Caddo's grass shelters, the Comanche's tipis, and the more permanent structures built by the Pueblo tribe in Arizona.

The challenges of living on a mountain are different than living on a grassy plain which are also different than squatting in the depths of the Amazon jungle. Large portions of a society's culture form around overcoming these challenges, such as what skills are deemed valuable for the tribe and what materials are used in art.

It's entirely possible to start with a civilization and work backwards but there's nothing wrong with starting with geography either.

Yeah it's not bad for a hex map, the worst I think are ugly Inkartante maps where people draw blobs and just cut away chunks with the eraser tool, leaving all these terrible angles, coupled with inkarnate's gross colors

I would think these people are joking but they also paste walls of text and seem really proud of their setting...so I don't know

I'm not writing stories though I'm creating a campaign setting where the players can write the stories.

Even if I was writing for writing sake the story would not take place in random disconnected places and a map is the best way to imagine how things would actually pan out. I mean just look at how many fiction books start with a map page.

If inconsistetcy doesn't bother you or your audience that's fine, but I would have trouble enjoying it because it would probably be pretty evident you just don't care.

>Sweden is a gigantic pain in the ass to invade so they get away with being neutral quite often (thanks to being mountainous as fuck)
Sweden's entire southern coast is flat, Norway has the mountainous coast

Or did you mean switzerland

>Sweden
That's supposed to be Switzerland, not Sweden. Though Sweden is actually a complete pain in the ass to invade as well.

>Or did you mean switzerland
see I was supposed to be asleep like three hours ago but I can't sleep, so I'm mixing up my European countries that start with S.

Farming communities at deltas. Towns at crossroads. When your mom drives you around did you never wonder why the roads twist, turn, curve and don't always go directly somewhere?

>Also, it seems many here want to make some huge giant world with many continents thousands of miles across, when in the scope of the game people can travel maybe 30 miles a day at most in a medieval like setting. People need to actually flesh out the details of one place before attempting grander things

The idea is to establish the general possibilities of the setting. Where can people come from, what natural barriers are there, etc. Then you find a spot and focus on the details; who's here, where did they come from, what did they do, how much of the rest of the world are they aware of, etc. Figure out what you want them to be then you can populate the area around them, adjust details of the geography as needed, or simply plop them somewhere else if it turns out they're more suited elsewhere. All the while you can keep some degree of consistency on the larger scale because it already exists. It also serves to bring questions or answers you may not have asked otherwise, like how did these people migrate past x terrain feature, or who's living in the stretch of land between y and z, what conflicts do these two cultures have since they neighbor the same resource, how did this culture deal with the poor rainfall that would be caused by the high mountains to the west, etc.

Fleshing out details in a vacuum often ends up feeling manufactured and far less detailed than if you did so with the world already existing and presenting questions for you to answer. It's almost like you're discovering the setting more than you are creating it.

>in fantasy is having the world map be at least aesthetically pleasing

I don't know that hand drawn town in last thread was kind of compelling. Not that I don't love map aesthetics, but in mine or others' settings I care about consistency, both internal and external. Like you can have a jungle next to a glacier but there needs to be a reason, an interesting feature of the world and it needs to be consistent in the world because it's inconsistent with the external reality and not
>I just plopped it in there

Some people want to design a world around a story, some people want to build a world that can hold a lot of stories within it. The former is better for novels and the latter is better for RPGs, in my opinion.

>if checkers had a fps "hardcore" mode

Extremely arer and legendary creatures. Most are basically sentient animals, other still have the wisdom and intelligence of ages past.
Still, they reason on a completely alien way opposed to other sentient races, so their consept of good, bad, and such are completely different

>Most are basically sentient animals
...But animals are already sentient? It's a qualifier for being an animal and not a shrub or something.

Hey /wbg/, I'm making a campaign setting based off of the rants Alex Jones goes on. My main influence for this was when I was watching him rant on about goblins in the white house and pedophile vampires, and how crazy of a setting that would be. If you guys have any ideas or know of any juicy Alex Jones rants I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here are a few notes I wrote down.
>Inforia: the kingdom of truth, justice, and freedom.
>Libertatem (Land of Libertatem): the world the setting takes place in.
>The Under-Prison (like the underdark), the new world order, and FEMA death camps
>The Under-Prison factions include the >Bilderburgs (Duergar), Skull-Bones (human necromancers and cultists, they’re also known as Big Pharma because they make tons of potions), Masons (Drow), ChilRoths (Deep Gnomes)
>UNN: Under News Network, a newspaper that distributes lies and propaganda of the globalists
>The Infowar, a newspaper run by the people of Inforia
>The globalists are evil humans and other creatures that plot the doom of the people of Inforia
>1776 (the impending year that the creatures of the Under-Prison will rise up and take all the weapons of the people of Inforia)
>The warrior of justice are known as Infowarriors
>King Alex Jones, the prophet king of the people. Blessed by the god of knowledge and information Jenova.
>His trusty dog companion (English Springer Spaniel with black fur) Ruff Ruff Jones.
>The government is a constitutional monarchy.
>The creatures of the Under-Prison kidnap babies so they can harvest their organs to summon demons
>The 11th of Nie: a great counter-attack against two giant watchtowers done by the globalists when King Jones and his Infowarriors beat back the globalists and established the kingdom of Inforia
>All the demons have moustaches and wear black uniforms.
>Picklegate?

More design notes:

Races
>Lizardmen: the lizardmen were once globalists, but broke off and joined the people of Inforia, in response the globalists created Flourade to try and make them all gay to depopulate their numbers
>Yuan-ti: the true green-skinned reptilians of the globalists, purebloods are able to blend into Inforia society and actively try and spread disinformation

Gods
>Jenova: the god of knowledge and information, the main god worshiped in Inforia
>Nerta: the god of magic and nerds, though not hated by the people of Inforia, worshipers of Nerta are distrusted for their magical abilities to hurt others by using their smarts.
>Abalish: the Demon prince of darkness and globalism

Magical Potions
>Brainforce
>Survival-Shield
>True-bio Selenium
>Bullet Silver
>True Whey
>MycoX
>Secret Life
>Super Vitality
>Patriot Coffee
>Emic’s Wash
>Colloidal Silver

Magical Items
>Portable Water Filters
>Freeze Dryers
>Seed capsules
>Particle masks
>Tinfoil of protection
>Whistle of rape [change name later]

Cursed items
>Pickle jar - you can tell this item is cursed because it doesn’t pop when first opened

Poisons
>Flourade (globalists are putting it in the water, it also turns frogs and lizardmen gay)
>TMD (drug used by the globalists to allow demons to feed them knowledge, taking TMD slowly destroys the mind of its user, but for many globalists it’s worth it)
>Prozac, aka Suicide Mass Murder pills

It feels like requiring all pieces to reach the back would lead to many stalemates as it becomes easier to block off 5 (and then 4) spaces. I think it's great the way it is. Great job, user.

As for the name, I'd suggest Flanks.

i honestly could not keep a straight face reading that user you are a genius

>His trusty dog companion (English Springer Spaniel with black fur) Ruff Ruff Jones.
fucking lost it

Ancient Mesopotamia, the cradle and birthplace of the earliest civilizations, came about because of the many rivers enriching the lands in the valley.

Britain became empirical and collonial because they lived on an island and got really good at shipbuilding right next to the hotpot of activity that was Europe, and their naval superiority allowed them to dominate trade and travel on a much larger scale than their neighbours.

>when in the scope of the game
I'd say that only about half or less of the people in these threads are worldbuilding for a tabletop game setting. Some are worldbuilding for novels or similar storytelling platforms, while others (like myself) are doing just purely as a hobby for fun.

So I realized I have a really definite pattern in my world building. I did not consciously realize I was doing this until recently when someone pointed it out to me. Almost all the time one of my chief concerns, or what I center societies around, is how it disposes of some negative aspect of itself. Basically 'take all the evil, and put it somewhere else'.

Examples include these colonies of humans who live inside giant bee colonies, the bees make honey out of negative emotions, a society where a council each wears a mask for one day of the month and the mask removes any thoughts they could have in opposition to the empire (and on the last day of each month the mask is placed in the river so that the thoughts can be carried down stream), a religion that is concerned with the transfer and storing of sin within particular members of its congregation (also abducting people to store sin in them).

Is this a bad thing that I have such a definite pattern?

I'm sure he meant sapient, most people don't know there's a difference.
Sentient - able to percieve and feel things - NOT plants.
Sapient - capable of intelligent thought - Humans and arguable some species of primates + dolphins.