/btg/ - BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Underdog edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-12-28 - Still getting worked on & now has 21476 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2018-01-02!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Velatine_Federal_Republic
befonts.com/comic-papyrus-font-finally.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When the salvage is just right!

Ghoatbears hold buttes

>/btg/ does a TRO
Seven years in the making, literally slower than CGL

Willing to bet real money it comes out before ilclan

I'll bet you a Standard Fafnir pack.

What is literally holding it back, the /btg/ TRO that is?

Aside from Muninn disappearing? Money. Life.

>primary author was FUCKING KILLED
>everyone else has no passion to work on it
>there are no skilled artists so it costs money they don't have to get any sort of artwork done for it

>primary author was FUCKING KILLED
What?! Seriously? What happened?

He lives in France and was killed in one of the truck attacks.

I need a greent text history about all of it, pretty new to this General.

No, not seriously. He just dropped off the grid.

Who do I believe? Possibly #2.

What type of writer is needed for the TRO to continue?
Preferably one that doesn't use money for porches, right?

We have Inker and pencil user (because I doubt Shimmy will do it for free), we could at least adopt all the Taco mechs. Make the fluff between all in the thread, get the aprovation of NEA (becaus he is a faggot, but a cool faggot than knows his BT stuff) and put it in the wiki or something. Then it's only having to recopilate it.

>because I doubt Shimmy will do it for free
If we suck his dick hard enough he might throw us one (1) mech, although it might end up looking out of place next to the rest of the mechs being in Inker/Pencil's style.

Muslim migrants murdered Muninn.

Ok, even if that happened you can't blame all Muslims. You wouldn't blame all Nazis for what Hitler did.

I think you mean all Germans, historylet.

Nazi Muslims killed Muninn and also Natasha Kerensky.

Why? Muslims aren't all one ethnic group. You can't stop being a German or an Arab, but you can stop being a Nazi or a Muslim. It's an ideology, historylet.

>We have Inker and pencil user
If they're willing to do this, I'm 100% behind this. Love them.

>we could at least adopt all the Taco mechs
This would be awesome as well.

Was there any plans for specific mechs for Space Poland or that Burrock thing?
Also what happened to sprite-user who does stuff for MegaMek? Is he okay?

You can't stop being a muslim, they'll kill you for that.

Sounds like a Muslim problem.

You only leave the Arkab feet first?

who /azami/ here?

Hell yeah, Azami are awesome.

He could do the Cover,he has experience with that. Normally the art in the cover and the book are different enough. Also I want ot see a Taquito done be Shimmy, fighting McMackie and other Franchise mechs or something.
So, first thing first, we have the states for the Taquito?

Spacerock > Azami

I know they are on the booru, not tagged with their name, but under the "stats" tag. They shouldn't be too far deep in that thing.

Also what would be result of a silly section in a TRO? Meaning the art would be kind of silly, chibi or whatever, but the stats legit for playing since a lot of guys have a sense of humor here? Or does the whole Space Poland, Taco Nation, Burrock thing qualify as silly?

To be fair, spacerock > most everything. Rock has always been poorly represented in paper rock scissors; the game needs errata.

I love silly chibi silly stuff as just for fun play. That would be a great addition.

Somehow it escaped me back when they were first posted but I now notice the Taquito's resemblance to Metal Gear D in profile.

Dunno what the TRO originals tought, if they have work done (and in years they best have some good stuff), but yeah, we are a bunch of silly gamers here, I'm sure we have some than love the gritty nitty stuff, but having a semi-joke section sounds right up to our alley.

Dang, that's some uncanny stuff, the one in the medium bottom specially.
Inker, did you inspire yourself with it?

The Metal Gear D is nicely detailed, but a little retarded in the proportions. The Taquito is something I would pilot any day as a replacement for a Raven or Locust.

Dang, the Taquito is quite scary. A jumping AC20 bastard.

Is it a bet if it's fucking obvious that it's going to happen?

I love the Smoke Jags and I'm not really a fan of the racist memes and implications made here with regards to most African-descent characters being Jags, but that pic is pretty funny.

Honestly, from an outside perspective, this whole thing is a civil war between the nations that mutilate penises.

Us people with intact dicks are caught up in it for better or worse is all.

Burrock thing?

With whatever equipment you want to use, how would you make a Strike Valkyrie from Macross as a replacement for the old Phoenix Hawk LAM?

Clan Burrock? I don't know the whole info, but here's the logo.

Mixed tech, just for fun.

There was talk at one point about the Burrock Confederation, some Burrock-based state in the Deep Periphery somewhere that was a combination of outcasts from the Clans and Clan Burrock. It was interesting but never really went anywhere.

Use a big boy font

That's new battletech font! How could you not recognize that. Mechwarrior, I...

Sounds kind of neat actually. Its a shame we're really bad at recording stuff here.

what's the best font to use?

What if someone has a set of TXT and HTML files that is basically every thread for the last few years. What could be done with that?

Comic Sans.
If it's good enough for Christian Weston Chandler, it's good enough for the business world.

Papyrus.

That sounds pretty confusing to go through.

Even if its not great, I like it when things are recorded as such

1d4chan.org/wiki/Velatine_Federal_Republic

That way when its brought up a month on later, there's the chance of stuff being added.

No excuses. That font is maybe appropriate for the title on the cover of a book. It is not for body text.

Fuckin' plebs. I give you Comic Papyrus:

befonts.com/comic-papyrus-font-finally.html

It's not even kerned well

How do you guys set up games? Fluffy? even amount of Battle Value? What is the largest game of classic you've played?

Ever played Alpha Strike? How is that?

>Fluffy?
My group generally goes for fluffy games, yeah.

>even amount of Battle Value?
We try for this, but sometimes fluff doesn't permit it, so ymmv.

>What is the largest game of classic you've played?
Battalion v. battalion. Took all day. Was a lot of fun though.

>Ever played Alpha Strike? How is that?
It's ok. I don't really like it much since I much prefer the movement system of CBT and never got into classic wargames with measurement movement. If you're into that, AS is ok.

A lot of guys run campaigns and scenarios rather than pick-up killfests, since BT's very specific background lends itself to a more historical style of play.

As for Alpha Strike, yeah, it's fun for what it is: a simplfied, mass-combat version of BT. Let's you run some really big games in really short order, without requiring a lot of rules mastery. I wouldn't use it at any less than 8 mechs though.

>How do you guys set up games? Fluffy? even amount of Battle Value?
Depends on what we're trying to do. Lots of asymmetric scenarios, though.

Battalion-on-battalion. Double-blind.
Yes, it took all weekend. Yes, it was a retarded idea. It was still fucking awesome and if I ever have that much free time again it'd be nice to do over.

>Ever played Alpha Strike?
yes

How is that?
fun

For srs, though, it's not bad as a mass-combat system. It breaks down below Company level, and infantry are basically fiat pieces (the BV system doesn't have enough resolution to handle them properly, nor the stats enough granularity.) OTOH, it's fast and fluid and still has almost enough meat on it to be satisfying when you get to beating things up. Use Lance initiative, though, trust me.

Largest AS game I've played so far was a regiment-on-half a Level IV (I think?) brawl. Had an entire LAM company fucking about, aero support, and a lot of combined arms in general. Took about 5 hours and few of us were sober. Was great.

Thanks to megamek, my brother and i can bang out a reinforced cluster on reinforced cluster in about 3-6 hours.

>How do you guys set up games?
Continuing GM'd campaign, paired in broad strokes with the events of the game universe, but not locked in to the details. For example, an SLDF Royal Striker Regiment who was deployed out to the Periphery to help suppress the TC, got recalled to Terra just in time for the Amaris Coup, had to escape the planet (and star system), linked back up with the SLDF and took part in the campaign to defeat Amaris. Or a Clan Watch Trinary acting as troubleshooters (as in, find trouble, shoot it) during the War of Reaving.

>Fluffy?
See above. Integration into the fluff is one of BT's strengths, much in the same manner that integration of a historical wargame into history is one of the strengths of that style of game. ou CAN play point-balanced "isolated" scenarios, but it's often lacking.

>even amount of Battle Value?
Most of the time it's at least in spitting distance. he difference between one side having 15k BV2 and one side having 14,200 BV2 isn't enough to worry about. Large-scale asymmetrical games do happen.

Back in 1994, I played in a game with a complete Clan Galaxy vs an RCT with full armor/infantry support on a 3-basketball-court gym floor, played for 14 hours/day over a 4-day weekend, with food delivered. IIRC it was about 24 players and 4 referees. CO's gave orders and the refs moved stuff operationally in accordance with orders until stuff was close to in firing range, when the players took over individual units.

Clans won, btw. Faster operational speeds and superior airpower allowed them to isolate FedCom units and destroy them in detail.

>Ever played Alpha Strike? How is that?
It's OK. It's worthwhile for large games (250 v 250 is our biggest so far), but it's pointless if you're at less than company strength. Loses a lot of the fidelity that makes BattleTech games really memorable (severing somebody arm and beating them with it, for example).

Hey NEA, if you turned the Great White Fleet into a Star League 2765 era fleet what warships would you use?

ComStar, because their ships are white.

Seriously, there's no good answer because the differentials in capabilities between the GWF ships are so small that there aren't enough different WarShip classes in a narrow enough window to represent them.

Or, to put it another way, if ships are rated from 1-10, in 0.25-point increments, the 5 ship classes (Connecticut - newest, Virginia, Maine, Illinois, and Kearsarge - eldest) all fall between 4 and 4.50. There aren't enough WarShip classes which *exist* in the space between 4 and 4.50 to model things. Honestly, given the lack of disparity in ship capabilities, you could almost just say that they're all one class of X ship, and the newer versions are simply a 3057-era refit of the same ship class (ie, Kearsarge and Illinois are Vincent Mk 39s, and the newer ones are Vincent Mk 42s).

FWIW, the *practical* differences between Kearsarge and Connecticut essentially come down to +2kts speed (+0.5kts operationally), an improved secondary armament against torpedo boats, higher-velocity but smaller-caliber main battery, less variable armor thickness, a much improved gun layout, and higher freeboard. The differences aren't enough to make notable changes to a WarShips thrust rating, capital-scale gun battery, armor layout (maybe a few points, not many), and the gun layout and freeboard have no comparisons. I don't have information on the Kearsarge's coal stowage handy; the Connecticut should probably have somewhat more fuel tonnage than the older ship.

Fair enough.

Think anyone has ever done a Jutland style battle with SL warships? Are there many people who play AeroTech?

NEA, I seen you in a few SWG threads, do you play the RPG too?

Best place to ask I guess: What actually happened to Leviathans? I had heard that the Chinese got all shady and ended up stealing the master molds?

Fantastic. I honestly think we need a scribe to do some of our projects. The talent and creativity on these threads keep me coming back.

Also Shimmy a cute, a cute!

The 1d4chan isn't a great home, but its nice as something easily findable by people browsing Veeky Forums

I'd really like to see more projects relating to the VFR - more builds for some of their mentioned tech, and maybe an RAT.

I don't know how this would work, but there is also storage space on the booru forum. It's rather simplistic, but it could be used as some sort of storage space. I don't know. Just brain stormin'.

Only the WEG d6 version. I have a deep and abiding hatred of everything d20, and a hatred of almost everything that requires custom dice (SAGA is the only game I can get over that for).

I mainly poke in there now and again to talk about fighting and lightsabres. Aside from Nick Gillard (prequel swordmaster & stunt coordinator), I'm one of 4 people in the Society of American Fight Directors who's certified to teach lightsabre, and it's always kind of fascinatingly appalling to watch people talk about lightsabre fighting.

>Think anyone has ever done a Jutland style battle with SL warships?

Honestly, no. The parasite craft are the problem; and the required number of players. A single person can run about 2 WarShips; 4-5 if they're highly experienced in the system. So to get a 30-ship per side battle you need a ton of players PLUS a ton of players to deal with all the DropShips and ASFs kicking about.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to do something like that.

>Are there many people who play AeroTech?

Lol, no. There's a whole bunch of reasons, but in the end, it boils down to ~1 AeroTech player per 50 BattleTech players (or thereabouts).

>stealing
They had always belonged to China, just like Chesterton

*sigh* You hurt my soul.

Here. The sordid tale in brief.

A shame, warships are fun as fuck.

I remember that awesome adaptation of the battle of Manila Bay with SL ships posts you did.

>Only Weg D6.
As it was intended. I started as a dirty Mini-six user tough.
have you imported BT space ships to D6 ? Or any mech? I was thinking to import some bt mechs (and vees, and heck, some aerospace too) to D6, but I'm sure I will fuck stuff up, if you know any text or anything with the rules, it would be cool as fuck.
Also I didn't even know there where people acreditated to teach lightsaber. That's cool (but not bt related so I will not dwell there).

I and my boxes of Leviathans weep with you, NEA.

Thanks. That sounds awful. I'm kind of surprised a Not!Leviathans hasn't popped up out of China.

Calling d20s custom dice in this day and age is a bit of a stretch.

He isn't talking about d20 ( I think), but probably the other popular sw rpg, the ones made be FFG and that use special dices.

You're functionally retarded.

He's talking about disliking d20 based products (Saga edition and the d20 revised thing that WOTC did), and disliking games that use custom dice (FFG). The only game with custom dice he does like is SAGA, which is a skirmish historicals game set in the European dark ages.

>sorry NEA, I kinda stalk you through historicals threads

I'm not calling d20s custom dice.

Games I dislike:
>anything based in the d20 system, including SW d20, SW d20 Revised, and SW Saga Edition.
>Almost any game which uses custom dice, including the FFG Star Wars games (both RPG and wargames). Which is annoying, because I *really like* the Armada minis.

I *do* like a game with custom dice called SAGA, which is a Dark Ages historical skirmish wargame. My enjoyment of the game mechanics and how they use the custom dice override my entirely rational disgust at having to buy custom dice in the first place. Plus, the SAGA custom dice are thematic as fuck.

What is that ax supposed to be stuck in?

the ground, you imbecile.

the more I come to appreciate the LotR, the more I appreciate Theoden's character.

Why would anyone ever stick an axe in the ground? It will blunt

Also, do you need a hug?

Nea, what did you think about the ST?

Star Trek's ok. Not a great fan of Discovery, though.

I'm honestly curious what ST has to do with the rest of the conversation, though.

I'd like to help but don't know the game and all the weapons enough to really mech-design, let alone vehicles or aircraft.

Happy to help with fluff stuff tho

I mean the Sequel trilogy, the disney films, specially Kilo and Rey fight in the supremacy.

I was that one dude who made those self-professed shitty 'mechs the Velite, Hastati, and Principe created by the underfunded and semi-incompetent engineers of Vespasian Drive Yards. I'm reading through the page on the VFR right now, and it seems the mechs I made aren't really compatible(no one in their right mind would buy a mech produced in 2833 when it's the 3000s already. Unless they're really poor. Then have we got the deal for you!)

Regardless, I think it would be cool if they had their own state funded military hardware company that's made up of former designers and engineers from all over the 'sphere.

>Not a great fan of Discovery, though.
Man, who is? STD is awful.

>the more I come to appreciate the LotR, the more I appreciate Theoden's character.
Theoden is a character that, as a kid, I didn't really pay any mind to, but as I age, he really speaks to me more and more. He's a heck of a character and one that I really love now.

If I may, I'll post my designs I redid with the critique I got from the thread a while ago.

Just to keep the thread bumped I guess.

...oh. That's what that meant.

I don't really want to talk about the "ST" as a whole, because a) it's not finished and so shouldn't be evaluated as a whole, and b) there's no answer which won't start a fight.

Keeping strictly to the immediate area of my professional expertise (ie, fights): they aren't terrible. There's more emotional investment in the characters because they're allowed to actually emote through the movie, and thus the audience can connect and care about them. The stories told by the fights have been decent, especially in TFA; TLJ's throne room fight didn't really have much of a story behind it; the story of a fight is MUCH more important than the choreography. Choreo without a story is just masturbation for the stunt team.

Do note: literally any fight choreography will fail if you slow it down enough. That is because the point of fight choreography is to NOT hit your opponent, although it can SOMETIMES be disguised via camera angles, but the director gets the final say. This is an inescapable fact of employing actors who have to stay safe in order to make their living (is, not "fighters who learned how to act"). If somebody is forming an opinion of fighting by watching slowed-down or out-of-context clips, then their opinion is wrong. This is true whether we're talking about discussion on /swg/ or that asinine "the fight in TPM sucked" review.

The above goes double for Jedi fights, because one of the things that makes choreography look "bad" is throwing up a defense against an incoming attack too quickly; it removes the percived threat to the character. A pre-cog (ie, Jedi) can see attacks before they happen...which means that they tend to throw up a defense to close the line of attack before the attack has fully developed...which usually looks "too soon" to the audience. It's a feature, not a bug, but it LOOKS like a bug.

>lightsabre forms are bullshit. Canonically, straight-from-the-Nick-Gillard's-mouth made-up bullshit.

>there's no answer which won't start a fight.
well, technically that is an answer?

When did you guys do that fight?

IMO, if these are intended to be used by a Periphery power pre-Helm Core, then they're pretty solid. There's a good through-line between all four of them in terms of weapons loadout, design philosophy, and flavor. I do worry that they're so far in the "flavor" direction they're completely unable to be meaningfully used in actual gameplay (especially the Principes and Hastati), but if it's very clear their their intended OPFOR is essentially pirates in malfunctioning Mechs, and the heaviest thing they're EVER likely to see is a Warhammer -6R, then yeah, they can work.

It's surprisingly hard to design intentionally shitty Mechs that can still be used in actual gameplay as something besides a bad joke.

>you need an editor for your fluff, but that's a common thing. No worries.

I see, that has been pretty informative, I would lie if it wasn't after I seen some of the pretorians runing like decapitated chicken in slow motion than I wanted to ask that.
You should post some day in the SWG about that, lightsaber combat and all that, extras and that stuff than lets people understand it all a bit better.
Not now, we are having a bit of mini meltdowd about nu canon choicy bits. Because if you have done it I mised it.

Why are they turning their backs to each other so much?