MtG Story General: The ship is still afloat edition

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/flood-2018-01-10

The story is continuing. Let's rip on it like even though we keep reading it like we always do.

Last thing I read of the Ixalan story was Kumana taking out Tishana, or it was the one where Jace and Vraska go to a bar and it’s obvious they should just bone. What has happened since then?

Well I'm happy that they didn't try to prolong the drama of Jace regaining his memories and how it affects his relation to Vraska and just resolved it right away.

It will probably be brought up again but I'm happy that the bulk of it is done.

I liked it.
It got too real for me.

I hope they showed tezzeret because vraska will kill him a few sets later when she regains her memories. I hope that starscream knockoff is removed from the story as soon as possible.

Oh really?
*murders your mother*
Nothin personnel kid.

Friendly reminder that, according to Plane Shit, Vraska is Neutral Evil and should be PUT to DEATH

Jokes aside, i have long replaced nine alignments with five MtG colors in my Deeundee games.

But hey, leave it to WotC to fuck everything up.

I mean, to be fair planeshift is basically something people do during their lunch break. Take it with a grain of salt.

Colors are way better than alignments though, since they follow motivation without necessarily decrying anything in moral standards.

i actually really, really liked this story. It was actually quite emotional what with seeing how fucked up jace got it for a while, also what he did to his old master, yea thats actually one of my biggest fears so that gut punched me in the face.
And also my favorite part of vona just fucking manhandling that merfolk out the fucking window like she was in a bar brawl and the fact we now know that jace illusioned himself to not look like a fatass.

Well, we now know how Jace got his tattoos.

Theres still a chance for them to bone before he wipes her mind! Theres hope boys

And his gains. Everything is explained now.

>Jace is becoming more respectable
>Jace and Vraska are cute CUTE
This only makes the impending mindwipe that much more painful.

>impending mindwipe
How do we even know that this is going to happen? Al we have is a card name and art, no flavor context. For al we know this could be part of a plan to pull a fast one on Bolas. If Vraska doesn't know something then Bolas can't find it out.

Art books says the whole idea is to pull a fast one on bolas. Idea is that she's gotta go back to bolas to get paid to help the golgari but the second she does bolas will just pull the info about jace from her brain. So they store it with jace so that she can pull it off.

Ok, I laughed hard at the vampires just throwing the merfolk out the window.

>"GET THE FUCK OUT, THIS IS BAT COUNTRY"

Damn, we need art of Kumena sailing out a window.

>his old master
You talking about Azor? Wrong sphinx, user.

more proof that black green is the best dual color combo

no i meant Alhammarret. Azor didnt get the entiretiy of his mind and psyche broken on a fundemental level.

I... liked it. Like they took the time to write the whole thing, not rush through it like they often did with the story bits on previous updates. I just hope their relationship doesn't immediatly become "perfect friends forever", but it feels pretty good so far.
Would have needed more vampires, though.

why the fuck would you ever answer before reading the story?

Really!? I kinda bummed now, I just typed the 1st thing I thought of, wasn't even meant to be a serious guess. You got pics?

The vampires are great. When they are morally grey, they are a fun take on vampires and when they are relishing their dickishness they are just a hell of a lot of fun.

Yeah. I'm not objective, since I love religious fanatics as characters, and the vampire+conquistadores combo works so well. They've got pretty cards, too. Still, I wish we had seen more of them, so far they've shown more of each other faction.
(SHE WAS NINE FEET TALL!)

>No kiss
How dare they

Would be kinda cute if they did a UBG planeswalker that is Jace and Vraska together.

That is Jace and Vraska's love child.

What would a human/gorgon baby look like? Gorgon-lite ? Full-gorgon? Full-human? Can they even reproduce together? Are there male gorgons in the Magic-verse? I never saw one.

Can get some after I get off work, albeit blurry ones.

It would have little babby snek hair.

Zealous Defenestration - WB
Instant
Tap an untapped vampire you control, destroy target creature or planeswalker.

>> -"GET THE FUCK OUT, THIS IS BAT COUNTRY"

Although they make a great couple, their childs would be fucking hideous.

I used to hate the lore so much during the "Gatewatch saga" and now I'm a fucking fatso being happy about a cardboard fantasy story.

I feel like it would be better as an exile effect.

Zealous Defenestration - 1WB
Instant
Tap any number of vampires you control. Exile any number of target creatures with total toughness less than the number of vampires tapped this way.

He was afraid of two vampires, not one.

without the Gatewatch, everything becomes better.
Vampire conquistadors being superior and teaching savages about their place also helps

Zealous Defenestration - WB
Instant
Tap an untapped vampire you control, put target creature or planeswalker into it's owners graveyard.

"I don't eat fish."

t.Vona

This way the effect is more unique and fits the flavor better.

Will the Vampire Queen be an eternal loli or another in a long line of grannies?

while i liked the story it's still weird about vraska being all over his dick, especially during the memory montage where she's gushing so much about how much of a poor baby he is for having to deal with lili

women are that way

I really like this chapter.
Vraska is best waifu.
I actually like Jace's personality reboot and hope he's more like that.

I think the writing has improved quite a bit, they seem to actually have found a way to make jace and vraska interesting.
I hope the rest of the gatewatch gets the same treatment, they could all do with a littlle personality reboot.

>tfw no Baron Sengir

well nissa already got a reboot when the origins retcon happened
i'm all for them being not-shit characters though
i'd assume lili is gonna be the member on dominaria giving it's her home plane and all

Who was expecting Baron Sengir?

Can someone post the vraska/jace rock hard edit

It's more likely that it's gonna be Chandra, given that Jaya Ballard's there and the natural way to go with that is having Chandra get noticed by her senpai. But Lilliana could show up, too.

from where did mavren fein suddenly come from?

She's empathizing because she's gone through some pretty bad shit and had no idea that he had, too.

Not him, but some people thought that the vampire army was the army led by Baron last we saw him.

he was the subject of one of the stories a while ago, it was pretty decent

i know, but wasn't that all the way back at fort adanto at the coast?
He seems to have got to Orazca pretty fast.

I think he means why is he with vona

>It's more likely that it's gonna be Chandra, given that Jaya Ballard's there
Man, I would hate to be on the design team that has to figure out different cards for two pyromancers without breaking red in Standard.

>She held him tight, and tucked his head into the crook of her neck. It was the first time she had touched another person willingly in years. The sensation was alien and alarming, but utterly necessary. Jace sobbed and sobbed into her arms, and she gripped him all the tighter. He had spent more than half of his life with no memory of his entire childhood. He had forgotten so much. He had forgotten so many times. She held him for all the times she wished someone had held her when she was imprisoned. She hugged him close for every time she had asked for help and been hit in return. She had spent so much of her life alone and shut away, it was impossible for her to deny comfort to someone who, like her, had suffered such an immensity of hurt.

I loved this chapter, I can now see a bright future for magic 's story

Just put them on one card, like gisa and geralf

Chandra is the usual PW, Jaya is a legendary creature that is like her previous version but better.

Amonkhet was supposed to come right after innistrad and Kaladesh was intended to be Chandras solo adventure. It was changed relatively late to push the gatewatch more.

DUAL PLANESWALKER DRIFTING

NIGHT OF FIRE

I ship it. But what’s the name of the ship? Jaska? Vrace?

In her art, Jaya's fire has a blue tinge to it. That's enough of a reason to make her a UR planeswalker.

You know blue in fire means pretty damn hot right?

I was actually hoping that the Gatewatch would gain Enemy colors. Hell, Ixalan would have been perfect for Jace to go UG, learning about survival and strength. Liliana goes BW because she realizes compassion is not a weakness and she does care for people beyond tools. etc etc.

The Belligerent!

woulnt make much sense since
A. he's stuck in homelands and i think he still is and
B. The sengir vampires have more of a theme of pretend family and stuff which has not been present in the slightest with these ones. not even in the religious "Father" metaphor kinda way.

>implying they won't get wrecked by the natives in the end because to do anything else would be unspeakable to sjws

Well, we've seen promo art for Dominaria with Jhoira in it, so I think it's safe to bet that she'll be a UR planeswalker.

I feel like the scene with Kumena taking on the vamps was a little underwritten. Like, he's supposed to be this badass merfolk wizard guy and he just gets his ass handed to him. Rest of the story was p. good. Never thought a story about captain autism himself could be so compelling.

They implied that he had a way to get off of the plane. But yeah, the vampires are completely different.

This latest planeshift I thought was actually very good, it had a lot more content than usual and had some of the unused art. Also it expanded small details, like the demons are born from the bat god who are trying to destroy the sun.

really hope that the mind wipe only removes part of her development, and she still comes out changed from Ixalan. I like pirate vraska.

What Ixalan/RIX stories are worth reading? I.e. not filler or written like shite

>like the demons are born from the bat god who are trying to destroy the sun.
who we've seen exactly zero of outside of that one card where we see him in a shadow
not even in any of the flavor or stories

>Like, he's supposed to be this badass merfolk wizard guy and he just gets his ass handed to him.
don't the merfolk 'only' have nature magic and such? bending trees and water and shit like that, can't really do much when 2 vampires are a foot away from you

the stuff with Jace and Vraska is good. The intros to the merfolk, huatli and vampires I didn't think was that good, but they contain some plot points.
Middle section, the chase is decent.

He fights by controlling water and plants, the temple contains none.

first story with jace is interesting seeing him being a twat
most of it's kind of filler, as usual
jace follows the compass to the city and they find it

I think there are two stories with Angrath, and I don't remember which they are, but he's a hoot.

which is why I am happy it appeared in the planeshift.
The bat god thing is good enough to be a big bad for a campaign set on this plane. When looking at content for campaigns set in a pre-established setting I look for stuff that hasn't been done in the main story, to give my players their own story.

put in a quetzalcoatl because we didn't get one for some fucking reason

>Huatli won't find the immortal sun since bolas takes it instead
>finds zacama
>"look, I found the threefold sun!"

I will, thanks for reminding me.

>Huatli

I'm fine with Kumena losing to the vampires for these reasons, it's just that they weren't actually written. How hard would it be to write like:

Kumena reached out in desperation, channeling and feeling for the fury of nature. Instead he found the golden brick of Orazca, caging him with it's sterile walls. Beautiful and Unnatural.
Then he got throwed out a fukken window

that's definitely possible.
All I want from huatli however is that she planeswalks out there after the immortal sun is gone.
Huatli has an excuse why she couldn't leave, but Samut and Saheeli didn't. It's a waste to make them planeswalkers and not have them planeswalk.
I find the planeswalkers in general a lot more interesting the moment they are on a different plane than home, take vraska for example.

i mean i never really expect much out of wotc
i'm still pleasantly surprised the story's managed to be as good as it has
getting chucked out the window was pretty entertaining though, his whole character was annoying

No, it felt llike that entire battle was written to as quickly as possible settle that dispute. In general action scenes don't seem to be the strong suit for the writing team.
However I think they are good enough in other departments to make, at least for me, a minor flaw.

I don't think the writing team can write action to save their life.
Do you not remember the days of Gideon whipping his sural back and forth?

The rest of the story was pleasantly surprising. It's just the lack of any real attempt at fighting back seemed to diminish Kumena's character. Not that he was a particularly interesting one to begin with.

I don't remember this. I haven't read much of the lore since the Kruphix story though.

>I don't remember this. I haven't read much of the lore since the Kruphix story though.
I mean I certainly don't blame you for avoiding BFZ, that was the worst shit I've ever seen in my life.

You should check out Wintermute's books some time.

>WoTC trying to push Vraska onto Jace.

Pic related is the only true winner of the Belerein-Bowl

>Liliana appeared in Jace memories
>Tamiyo too
Vraska should be more concerned about Emmy

During that memory, Vraska wasn't jealous. I can't really tell what she was feeling.

it was partially trying to show her being empathetic towards the shit jace went through, and part making her real weird about wanting jace's dick

Have you ever watched your buddy get with someone that you know is bad news but you can't get through to him/her that the person is the reprehensible sack of crap you see them to be?
That's what she's going through.

I love Japan's scribbles.

>The angels died for this
Nahiri deserves to suffer