/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

"no tech heresy here" edition

Previous Thread: For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.12) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/xtutxsxmo1k7foo/

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

Has your DM ever used hereteks as enemies in your sessions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Teb-nW7efk
drive.google.com/file/d/1ulYn5l23ih57JdTXWZZtBev_Ed0K-_T2/view
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why these threads are so dead? One would think they'd be bustling with activity seeing TT threads are so lively

Could be because the 40k RPGs are pretty much dead? I dunno, just a guess.

As an aside stupid question: how would one go about doing an Ork campaign?

>how would one go about doing an Ork campaign

deffwotch

Because the 40krpgs by FFG are dead, the new system WanG isnt out until august and is just DnD5e meets Shadowrun, and homebrew turns into a shitshow because a lot of people think its cheating and don't feel it's a valid way to play the game.

Speaking of homebrew: any attempts to get rid of weapon damage scaling as present through all FFG lines and make it more tabletop- or fluff-like?

Here I am a new GM Trying to get into Rogue Trader. I was really surprised at the lack of anything even on Youtube. No good videos on tips or character creation walk through so I can make sure I understand everything correctly. But at least there is still this damn thread that has all the other books and tools. Which is at least a big help. Oh well guess I should not complain got a full 6 person group who are all excited to play.

>make it more tabletop

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>I was really surprised at the lack of anything even on Youtube
I don't understand why would you need youtube when there's a perfectly good rulebook. You're under 15 and from a generation that can't read, aren't you?

eh, its like 300 pages and you might not get everything right the first time, dont be like that

Character gen is handled in a single chapter. It does not take reading 300 pages to make a character. Just go over the first chapter in the book if you're confused

to be fair, the book is pretty rules-heavy. I would advise to go with DH first, and then try out RT. It would make things far easier for everyone.
Otherwise, yep, do with the book. It's a great one. Try setting up and playing fights on your own before any session, practice will make everything more fluid

>WanG isnt out until august and is just DnD5e meets Shadowrun

Who says this? People that played the beta?

I mean 'not make a fucking autocannon of all things be more powerful than plasma'.

Did Shas ever say what other sister of silence archetypes he was making? All I saw last thread was the oblivion knight

If you were a rogue trader, what would you want your personal armsmen's primary tradition to be? How would they look?

>armsmen's primary tradition to be?
Protect me.
>How would they look?
Sufficiently blinged

I'd also be dressed like this if I were a Rogue Trader. Thankfully, my Seneschal acts as my face in official arenas.

I really like the Weyland-Yutani troopers from an aesthetic perspective. Retro used-future is the best.

As a side-gig as an RT I'd probably keep at least one void-whaler (as thus-far described in what's-his-name's Karybdis Abyss homebrew), so I'd probably recruit from the best fighters there for some dank void-combatants for boarding and shit like that.

The oblivion knight was made for one of the players in his OW game, I assume as time goes on he will refine and release more, and then do a big book of awesome with more things, as was the case with his DW game and TGTBTAL

After drinking the last M39 vintage bottle of Amasec in the ship's hold, I had a great drunken thought like any great Rogue Trader.

Tyranids eat everything, but they move on. They can't differentiate precious items from junk. They've eaten a few forge worlds, so surely there must be some valuables out in space. And besides, there's also xeno tech I can sell at a higher mark up because they're dead.

My family has enough connections to obtain help from the Mechanicus. Are there any reasons I shouldn't go harvest some salvage from those systems or any problems I should think of?

Primary traditions are fighting nasty xenos beasties and protesting colonists.

The house guard look primarily like the ancient Solar Auxilia and are armed similarly. Void-proof carapace gives them incredible advantages in ship based advantages.

If this new system sucks and you're not a fan of the FFG RPGs, what system would you personally instead use to play a 40k game?

>reasons not to?
None that I can think of.

I mean, the planet may well have issues in the form of another form of the completely alien landscape with potentially-unknown hazards, xenos trying to take over the planet, potential tyranid-influenced local fauna that make it difficult to just walk about, other dangerous people with the same idea as you (some of whom may or may not be involved with the ruinous powers), or a myriad of other things.

But why in the name of Holy Terra should that stop an aspiring rogue trader from taking advantage of a perfectly legitimate opportunity for wealth and potentially-rich salvage?

The nids eat EVERYTHING on the planet.

Good ideas. I'll just have to recruit some more lab rats/colonists from some penal world.
Yes, I realize that. There's still plenty of things in space and debris from battles with the hive fleet. Ships that ran out of supplies, isolated refugees on planets that may or may not be necron tomb worlds, xenos like the eldar already weakened by the tyranids, and even space hulks.

Might want to put something of a spin on it, though. "Salvage," is not the thing a self-respecting rogue trader resigns himself to. Unless your GM is running the game as a bit more grimdark than the sort of RT games we discuss here.

GURPS

Something inherently simple and fast to both learn and play. I'm rather fond of the core system used in both Warbirds and Remnants, so I'd probably go with something similar to that.

I mean in universe it wouldn't be seen as prestigious. There's that whole section in the RT book about salvaging a battlefield and how it actually might hurt a character before arriving on Footfall. It's probably frowned upon by major Imperial institutions as you are basically taking their stuff.

It's not something you'd see a Rogue Trader like Sebastian Winterscale step down to, but it is lucrative. But there are plenty of Rogue Traders who are down on their luck. This one in particular is drinking M39 Amasec, which is almost universally swill. M34 vintages are much better

what's a good way to start playing dh2 with people who havnt played it before, I've got all the books and was thinking of running the core book adventure then the one they printed.

>this one in particular is drinking M39 Amasec, which is almost universally swill. M34 vintages are much better
This is why I love rogue trader so much.

The adventure in the book may lead to TPK due to daemonhost.

>The absolute State of the generation

Emperor preserve us.

For someone running 1st edition DH, whats the deal with the different SoB careers? Is one better to use than the other?

The first one is weaker, and was made by GW. The second one is stronger, and made by FFG with power creep. Blood of Martyrs is the cutoff start for OP splats.

So you want to use the Inquisitor Handbook version to keep things balanced?

It depends on what type of game you are running. The post Blood of Martyrs books give you characters with good gear and skills, and competency in their field. The pre-Blood of Martyrs books give you trash-ass nobodies who wear rags and sticks. It depends on what type of game you want - do you want a dirt-farmer game where life is monstrously difficult and your best gun is a rusty lasgun? Allow only Pre-BoM books. If you want competent characters who can stand a chance at a fight and have the skills to do their jobs, powerful but balanced against each other, while still dying to shitty decisions, use only Post-BoM books (Book of Judgement, Blood of Martyrs, Lathe Worlds, etc).

what do then?

In rogue trader I'm having trouble understanding the weapon training, specificly the (universal) tag.

as an example void master starts with pistol weapon training (universal) but can choose pistol weapon training (universal) in rank one. So this points in the direction of you pick one type under universal but when looking at heavy weapons training it says that each heavy type requires training and as such there is no universal.

can someone clear this up for me?

IIRC, its a typo. A lot of the books are riddled with them.

I'm working on converting DH2E to a sort of mad max esque post apocalyptic RPG, is this a terrible idea or a great idea?

I like the system well enough and I feel the combat and lethality of it will fit well into a post apocalypse setting, and I've not seen any post apoc based RPG's that really grab my attention.

Starting with converting the weapon tables and character creation (mostly just reskinning and minor modifications to the rules here and there), heres my ideas for character gen conversion so far:

Origin:
Wasteland Tribe (Feral World)
Factory Gangs (Forge World)
Highspire Nobleborn (Noble Born)
Ruin Dwellers (Hive World)
Cult Enclaves (Shrine World)
Deadlands Tribe (Death World)
Slave Thrall (Penal Colony)

Background:

Lawman (Adeptus Arbites)
Mutant (Mutant)
Machine Cult (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Water Cult (Adeptus Ministorum)
Warrior Cult (Imperial Guard)
Road Cult (imperial Navy)
Outcast (Outcast)
Caravanner (rogue trader fleet)

Role:

Killer (Assassin)
Leadslinger (Desperado)
Preacher (Hierophant)
Mechanic (Sage)
Organic (Chirurgeon)
Scavenger (Seeker)
Warrior (Warrior)
Driver (Ace)

The pistol thing on their advancement table is if some alternate career removes it. The latter is a typo.

Looks okay so far.

What are your favorite fluff-oriented houserules? You know what I mean, the sort of headcanon that rules in your games.

So universal covers all pistols with the exclusion of primitive?

Yes.

As the GM of a RT game updated to DH2e, I've homebrewed so much stuff it's halfway to being a new system. Weapon rebalances, merged skills, new talents, alternate career ranks converted to elite advances, custom Profit Factor mechanics, improved ship combat...

Players seem to like it, even if it is basically an ongoing playtest.

Is this a good premise for s DH game?

>One of the Inquisitors informants have gone silent
>His location was on a space station at the edge of Imperial space
>The Acolytes are sent there to investigate
>When they get there they find clues/notes from his quarters that he has been working for a rich merchant that brags about his new exotic Xenos he bought here on the station around his crew and dockworkers
>The acolytes will eventually find a rogue Trader selling illegal Xenos animals INSIDE imperial space

That’s all I got, is it a good start/premise and what else can I do to make it more interesting

No.
Primitive and exotic types (pulse, shuriken, splinter, etc.) each require their own talent.

Also, hand flamers are covered with Flame WT (Universal).

Yes, it’s good.

Oh I know I just wanted a reference to tick all the boxes from an experienced player. Just helps as a reference guide as I will be helping everyone make their characters and going through things with them on the first session. We won't be playing until the following one. So we can do some mock combat and such to get a feel for everything.

NO NO NO AHAHA

Terminator armour in my Deathwatch campaign has 40 AP. It’s supposed to be the toughest personal armour known to mankind, not have just 2 AP more than artificer suits.

You, uh, realize that that literally renders Termies immune to 95% of everything and literally tougher than Russes after TB? Also, Artificer armor is nearly identical to Terminator Armor in the wargame. Termies only get better weapons and a fairly crap 5+ invuln. So there's precedent for them being similar

Genesys

Odds are if FFG had managed to keep the license that's the route they would've gone anyway

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, or which thread would be the right one to ask on in the first place, but has anyone done anything like make a fanon codex for one of the lost astartes legion where Kenshiro from fist of the North Star is the primarch. In all honesty I'd be quite surprised if no one has done something like that, because I think Kenshiro would make a right badass primarch.

This is only a problem is you are trying to replicate TT rules in an rpg.
Plasma is generally an infantry weapon, autocannons a vehicle mounted one.
The solution is not to have autocannons be manportable, or drastically lower their manportable ammo count to single digits.

Either way, weapon scaling is weird in 40krpgs.

Weapons scale in a way appropriate for their roles and use, not as an approximation from TT.
The numbers on a handful of weapons is wonky, but on the whole, it's understandable for the vast majority of weapons.

TT scaling does work. The problem is the scale wasn't followed by Black Industries, and TT powercreep has gotten out of hand.

Yes, Shas (the namefag that frequents the thread and has quite a few god teir campaigns in the archives of TG such as all gaurdsman party and deffwotch.) Has done such with a lot of weapons and brought things like grab weapons into the system. It's in the mega somewhere. I never got chance to use them for my own sadly. 5e made sure of that

>TT scaling does work
Yes, for TT.
It stops working in a game based around human sized creatures.

How smug do you depict eldar in your games?
How smug are they after getting their asses handed to them?

I'd rather have a dead thread than the cesspits that pass for TT threads.

That pic reminds me of a bit of lore (3rd ed. SM dex, I think) where an Inquisitor calls for aid after a planetary governor rebels, and a chapter comes up, teleport termies in the high command bunker, and steel rain on every major base or depot. Rebel high command is devastated, as are the planet's defenses and industrial output. The Marines say that the PDf had no excuses for following orders, since loyalty is owned to the Emprah first. The Inquisitor then says that he will can the Assassins next time, in order not to leave a planet entirely defenseless and unable to meet the tithe.

My Arch-Militant in my group's 3-year RT campaign basically put together these dudes. Skull-masked elite operators with a focus on void-tactics.

I'm currently planning a future Rogue Trader campaign that is going to take a lot of inspiration from Battlestar Galactica, FTL, and Banner Saga.

Basically the party are going to be the head of a refugee fleet fleeing a sector that is being absolutely devastated by a Tyranid Hive Fleet. The Inquisition, Sector Battlefleet, local governor, religious sects, and Genestealers will make things difficult in the fleet - while they also struggle to keep their supplies stocked up to avoid starvation or running out of ammunition.

On their way they'll run into adventures in the systems they pass - searching secret research bases for hints of a weapon to use against the nids, raiding "abandoned" armouries to feed their guns, and making hard choices regarding who to save and who to leave behind to be subsumed by the Hive.

This sounds cool, but if you expect some form of criticism or tips it would be helpful if you'd ask specific questions.

His tabletop to rpg conversion tables work in most cases. Fringe cases like plasma throw them off.

>post in roll20 ad
>no response

should I just end it?

Look at thegame finder thread, someone did an ad for 1e DH

Stormtroopers, mostly. With training to operate in reinforced void or hazmat suits.

Being a rogue trader means I'm going to end up in strange and dangerous situations, and no self-respecting RT lets himself lead redshirts.

Neat.

I also want to do something like BSG
it has faults, but so many great moments

youtube.com/watch?v=5Teb-nW7efk

Yessss! The Pegasus reappearing is a scene I may be looking to specifically copy.

The party has managed to solidify their control of the factions of the fleet, even managing to get the loyalty of the commander of a battlefleet vessel.

Then down the line they run into a battlecruiser or battleship with an admiral who throws the political balance all out of whack. Especially if they're a GENESTEALER SPY!

I'd be happy to take ideas for Tyranid and general space encounters in a ravaged sector.

..and you arent looking for more players?

I'm afraid the campaign is for my regular 40kRP group, and it may not start for another year or two. Our last RT campaign ran for 3-4 years and our current DH campaign has run for almost a year and will probably go long as well.

But I'm having a lot of fun starting preparations already.

alright

Your dream campaign. Go.

Existing.

any good 40kish resources to use when making maps in roll20?

looking for items, building tiles to use

>How smug do you depict eldar in your games?
Anime-loli levels of smug

>How smug are they after getting their asses handed to them?
'Just as planned' levels of smug

>drive.google.com/file/d/1ulYn5l23ih57JdTXWZZtBev_Ed0K-_T2/view
This Dark Heresy module for Genesys.

Ditto

Did they ever resolve all the many questions around servitors and pets (cybermastiffs, the psyeagles, etc)?

I always wanted to play a magos who had his minions do the heavy lifting but between a retarded GM who gave us 80 thrones a month for the party, and getting into arguments about the vague and contradictory rules with the other GM, it never happened.

You can probably take stuff off of the minion system in BC and not using 1e.

OW had decent rules for playing a servitor-master character.

I have an encounter/adventure for you if you're interested - I've just run it for my own RT group (though we use a mix of RT and DH2.0 rules) and it was very fun.

>RT ship receives distress signal while in warp transit
>Crew on edge, who ever heard of a distress signal in the warp?
>RT diverts course, reaches ship, distress signal has looping audio under it but there's still too much interference
>Hail ship
>No answer - maybe the signal's not getting through?
>Sensors say the gellar field is still intact.
>Greedy RT hatches plan:
>maneuver RT ship alongside other ship so gellar fields overlap
>Send a fortified boarding shuttle over with the players on board
>"Investigate what happened and drop the ship out of warp so we can salvage it - meet you in realspace!"
>RT ship fucks off to safe distance to avoid spacehulking once the players have crossed the field overlap

have fun, you players are now cut off from all help and exploring a derelict in the warp. I had my players avoid and outsmart a tyranid lictor as they cut and hacked their way to the bridge to drop the ship out of warp. Turns out the ship was in self-imposed quarantine. Also had a fun bit where the corrupted machine spirit of the ship threatened to open the bridge shutters to the warp if the players didn't extract its cogitator bank and save it from destruction.

Playing only war and considering buying Frenzy, defense came to mind and I remembered about not being able to do defensive actions
However come to find out you're only prevented from parrying, retreating, or fleeing
Sounds like dodging is perfectly allowed (in which case why get battle rage?) but I'm wondering if this was errata'd somewhere?

How did they outsmart the lictor?

Can you create your own minions with those? The idea has intrigued me, might see about getting my GM to let me start that sort of character after my navigator bites it.

In BC? Yes, but the rules gravitate towards making pile-of-traits monster minions.
In OW? No, servitor types are predetermined (and they work like comrades).

It's explicitly for that
Be warned they're pretty useless except greater minions (Tier 3 talent), which may or may not be what you're looking for

Rogue trader with freebootas

Lictor? They hardly knew her!

You can dodge, yes.
The further talent, Battle Rage, allows you to parry, and offers bonuses/rerolls to coming out of Frenzy.

True.
I'd make it 25, with a host of auto-injectors and some nice gubbins, like being able to sync pic feed with other termi suits for bonuses.

I want to make a character who has servitors and cyberhounds and servoskulls with guns and all that shit do his fighting for him.

Alright, I've made some custom talents for a Inquisitorial Stormtrooper/Tempestus Scion elite advance for DH2e, I'd like y'all opinion of them.

-Eye of the Storm-
The Scion has gained training as a Tempestor Prime, leader of both Tempestor squads and battle groups, a fearless warrior and able captain in the harshest battlefields the Imperium faces.
Tier 1
Aptitudes: General, Social
Effect: Gain Leadership as a Aptitude, and when using the Inspire/Terrify action, can substitute Willpower for Fellowship for the roll.

-Hard Corps-
Scions are expected to survive in the worst environments imaginable, and their ability to withstand everything from frigid climes to plagued battlefields is legendary.
Tier 1
Aptitudes: General, Toughness
Effect: Gain Fieldcraft as an Aptitude, and when testing against poison and environmental hazards (including Fire, Suffocation, Vacuum), gain a +20 to the test.

-Master of War-
Tempestors can be expected to face against the myriad foes of the Imperium, and are schooled in the methodology, tactics, and weapons heretic and xeno.
Tier 1
Aptitudes: General, Intelligence
Effect: Gain Knowledge as an aptitude, as well as Forbidden Lore: Xeno (All), Chaos Space Marines, Mutants, Psykers, and War trained, and has a +10 to tests based on Lore tests on enemies, wargear, and battlefield conditions.

>Of the above talents, the player chooses one of them when the advance is first taken, and can't take any of the others.

-Killer Intent-
A Tempestor's attacks are buttressed by a lifetime of war and killing, every blow dealt the Emperor's Own blade, death assured in His Name.
Tier 2
Aptitudes: Willpower, Offence
Effects: As a free action, the character may spend a Fate point to gain Vengful (9) on his attacks until the end of the encounter

-I Am Slaughter-
Righteous hatred melds with sublime skill to lay low the enemy, and a squad of tempestors is virtually assured victory over any foe.
Tier 3
Prerequisites: Killer Intent
Effects: When using Killer Intent, it instead becomes Vengeful (8), and allies within WP Bonus x 3 meters gain Vengeful (9) on their attacks.

-Fearless-
A tempestor's hard experience with horrifying situations have rendered them innured to the tender fears of lesser men.
Tier: 3
Prerequisite: Iron Resolve
Aptitudes: Willpower, Defence
Effect: The character is immune to the effects of Fear and Pinning, but disengaging from combat or backing down from a fight is difficult for them to stomach, and as such requires a successful Willpower Test.

-Sanctioned Killer-
Tier 2
Aptitudes: Perception, Offense
Effect: When the character causes Righteous Fury, he may roll 2d5 and choose the result

-Brutal CQC-
Tier 3
Aptitudes: Offense, Finesse
Prerequisites: Quick Draw
Effect: When the character succeeds in a melee attack with 3 or more DoS, he may, as a free action make an unmodified +0 Challenging standard attack with a basic ranged weapon on his person once per round.

-Tireless-
Tempestors are expected to push on in the face of all difficulties, and their fortitude rarely fails them. Through brute force of will or extreme physical resilience, they are capable of carrying on through extreme adversity and exhaustion without losing significant efficiency.
Tier 2
Prerequisite: Hard Corps
Aptitudes: Defence, Willpower
This character ignores penalty to all Tests from Fatigue. He still suffers any other effects of Fatigue as normal.

-Beacon of Hope, Icon of Despair-
The Prime is an avenging angel on the battlefield, inspiring to his men and terror to his enemies.
Tier 3
Aptitudes: Leadership, Offence
Prerequisites: Eye of the Storm
Effect: The Inspire/Terrify action becomes a half action, rather than a full action, and in addition, enemies within WP Bonus x 10 meters take a -10 to their next action.

-Blade of the Emperor-
The tempestor is the blade in the arm of the Emperor, and no bulwark can stay his wrath, no armor can stay His Judgment.
Tier 2
Aptitudes: Knowledge, Fieldcraft
Prerequisites: Master of War
Effect: The character can ignore up to his Perception bonus in Cover AP or armor AP, but not both in the same turn.

-Master of the Panapoly-
A tempestor is so well acquainted with his weapons of office that in his hands, their deadliness is matched only with the wargear of the Astartes themselves.
Tier 3
Aptitudes: Intelligence, Fieldcraft
Prequisites: Master of War, Blade of the Emperor
Effect: All the wargear associated with the Ordo Tempestus gain Tearing and Reliable. If it possesses either already, it gains Razor Sharp. If it has both Reliable and Tearing already, it gains Razor Sharp and Concussive (0).
Weapons affected are (Hotshot Weapons, Bolt Weapons, Plasma Weapons, Power Weapons, Grenade Launcher, Meltagun, Flamer, Frag/Krak Grenades, Melta Bomb).

And that's it. Come at me, fuccbois, I can already imagine the reeee-ing.