mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>Delta Green
pastebin.com/rtpJfc2L

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/3F7sVTG4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So what's the consensus on lovecrafts earlier work? Just finished reading his first short story (the beast in the cave) and the last line literally made me chuckle.

Also how much of a hack is Brian Lumley? Titus Crow just sounds like some kind of OCDonutSteel. Am I wrong, are the books worth reading?

Any other stories in the mythos/dreamlands or inspired by them that worth reading?

Speaking of the Dreamlands what was Derleths issue with them? The guy flat out states that they are not part of the Mythos and that Unknown Kadath is the least of Lovecrafts longer works.

So has the new Delta Green GM book dropped yet, or are we all just waiting for it?

>Any other stories in the mythos/dreamlands or inspired by them that worth reading?
Original Lovecraft Cricle made some great stories. And they are kind of canon too, since most of them are pre-Derleth and Lovecraft approved.

Here's some I liked:

Clark Ashton Smith:
- The Tale of Satampra Zeiros
- The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis
- Ubbo-Sathla

Robert E. Howard:
- The Black Stone
- The Children of the Night
- The Thing on the Roof

Robert Bloch:
- The Shambler from the Stars
- Notebook Found in a Deserted House
- (There's propably more good ones, but I haven't read them all yet. Most of his cthulhu stories are in collection Mysteries Of The Worm.)

Henry Kuttner:
- The Secret of Kralitz
- The Salem Horror
- Hydra

Frank Belknap Long:
- Space Eaters
- The Hounds Of Tindalos
- The Horror From The Hills

Fritz Leiber
- The Terror from the Depths

Just stay away from Derleth's stories. Lurker At The Threshold isn't as bad as rest of them though, if you still want check his writings. But it's not very good either. Donald Wandrei also wrote some, but haven't read them either.

>Also how much of a hack is Brian Lumley?
Brian Lumley's stories seem to be so bad, that I won't ever read them. I can't get either, why he seems to be so big name among the mythos writers.

>Speaking of the Dreamlands what was Derleths issue with them?
I do like Dreamlands novels, but they tend have very different mood when compared to Lovecraft's sci-fi/horror cthulhu mythos novels. I'll keep them as separate universes in my head canon. Surely they share same creatures and gods, but so do Warhammer Fantasy and 40k.

Have you ever read "The Ancient Track", It is his poetic works. He also wrote several nonfiction books and short manuscripts.

My personal view of his work after having read nearly all of it is that he had a detailed, well thought out system of behavior which can be applied to nearly all of the eldritch beings he used in his works, and that their primary feeling towards humanity is indifferent. A worshiper here or there may have the mana to provoke a half of a whim of a thought for a moment, but it's very uncommon, they are unthinking, indifferent beings who represent the grinding, ineffable, unknown forces which drive this universe, and every universe, ahead. They care so little about man and his meager capabilities that they don't even bother to think thoughts about us, its only by aimless waves chance combining that we even exist, while they are eternal, omnipresent beings who will absolutely definitely some day break all restraint in a great cosmic ragnarok Gotterdammerung final END. You are a speck of sand underfoot, not even thought of, not even noticed. Yet at the same time, humanity could someday defeat them, perhaps aeons ahead in some future you and I can't even imagine, so occasionally, just occasionally, the stars are just exactly so, and humanity kicks the shit out of things. The other great advantage humanity has is that humanity cares enough to try to win, whereas the eldritch beings frequently are so indifferent that they don't even care if they win lose or draw.

If you really want to understand HP Lovecraft, I recommend you examine his influences, and I would start with William Hope Hodgeson.

Some time back I made a builder game in which the players were great old ones and outer gods, the object of the game was to start at the start of time and build a surviving, thriving galaxy. (under your rule of course).

Here it is.
pastebin.com/3F7sVTG4

Additional: This game was meant to be a 3 actions a turn rolling 3d100 game. I just realized the pastebin doesn't actually say that inside itself, though it covers everything else.

It's been out in PDF for a couple months

The response in /ysg/ was muted disappointment

So here's a rather "eldritch question".

Alien being PC trying to escape delta green antagonist(s), has it ever been done, are there any hard and fast rules already set up for something like that?

I'm envisioning some sort of MiB or perhaps Cabin in the woods sort of scenario, though it's currently just a fragment of an idea.

How do I convince my group to try CoC, /ysg/?

You could subtly use Eldritch Beings as opponents in their stories here and there gradually more and more until they're somewhat curious anyway for unrelated reasons, then just pop out the CoC and go from there.

Good idea user. I'll start injecting random nods and sidequests to lovecraftian work asap.

Here are a few random tidbits I just now thought up.

>A group of cyclops are worshiping Cyaegha and sacrificing stolen livestock
>A lich has found one of the Star Stones of M'nar
>A prophecy from the pnakotic manuscripts is happening (spoiler its inevitable and will always definitely happen)
>Mind Flayers have started worshiping Cthulhu
>Aboleths have started worshiping Abhoth
>The Devil's Hop yard is a place somewhere in the game
>The blasted heath was created by defiling magic somewhere in the world
>Rhan-Tegoth has risen from an ancient temple and is actively moving about doing evil
>An ancient cult of liches is preparing the way to awaken Azathoth
>The spell "Time Tunnel of Yog Sothoth" is a spell mages can learn.
>The Spell "Azathoth's Absolute Annihilation" is a spell mages can learn.
>The spell "Cthulhu's clutching tentacle" is a spell that exists, (a giant tentacle carries off the target through a gateway suddenly in an instant-defeat)
>The necronomicon is -the central- book of necromancy, and a copy is in possession of the elites of the necromancers guild.

This edition is my only real intro to Delta Green. Can I ask what was disappointing about it?

Damn user I had thought of things kinda like some of those but you did way better

I do try. I think you'll do fine. Tell me what you thought of, but only if you want to.

Well, here's what I personally didn't like:
>First and foremost, the "meta-plot" or the main antagonists don't make sense. At all. Last edition, the Mi-go and their reluctant allies MJ-12 were the baddies. You can shoot a Mi-go or blow up a secret government lab. In the new edition, the meta-plot is the whole temporal Cold War (stolen shamelessly from Star Trek) between a race of brain-hijacking scientists and a bunch of energy constructs deep in the earth.
I think this edition makes more sense as the "humans are the real monsters" edition. Most of the big occult players are smashed, and you have a bunch of rival splinter groups running around trying to pick up the pieces as the final days approach.

cont from >They smash all the old conspiracies (some of which is good, Cult of Transcendence was retarded) but don't prop up much in return. There's zero big opponents laid out in the book. Now to be fair the big opponent is Delta Green itself, either the Program or the Group but there are almost no other organizations detailed. Oh, and apparently PISCES solved their little Shan issue...somehow...in the course of one throwaway sentence.

I.. see? I'm guessing you accidentally responded to me?

It's fine I'm glad you told me that, I was thinking of possibly getting the PDF or the hardcopy book, but now I suppose I won't, it doesn't sound very well put together.

It's worth a read, but I wouldn't say it's worth the $40 or whatever it costs. Also, Detwiller's personal politics are on full display here. The Program's command structure reads like a diversity checklist and he basically says that the Russian paranormal agency conspired to elect Trump to weaken the US. It does get slightly irritating.

Well, my respect for HIM just evaporated. Burn in hell Detwiller. Don't ruin my games because you're mad you lost, detwiller.

Well if I were to do this:
>One of the players (your best roleplayer) is infected with some kind of parasite. You pull him aside and tell him that his objective is to infect the others in some way. Then you sent faceless death squads after them. None of their DG contacts work. They're truly alone...and one of their "friends" is the reason why.

Thanks for the info. I did pick up the player handbook in hardcover form, so I won’t feel too bad about PDFing the GM guide. It provides more rules for GM level entities and organizations, right?

Regarding other media: the Laundry Files. Lovecraft mixed with the IT Crowd, with a dash of Ian Fleming for the first couple books. If you’re not aware, I really think they’re worth a read.

Any cosmic horror vidya aside from Darkest Dungeon, Conarium, and Dark Corners of the Earth to be aware of?

Entities yes, organizations really not much other than in-depth layouts of the Program and Group. It does have all the magic rituals and stuff in there too.

Ironically I have a DG style mission from ages back that was something very similar. I'll describe it in brief here following.

While in orbit over Antarctica (because ALLL the good things start with Antarctica, amIright?) a spy orbiter named S-4 was doing a routine fly-by photo of an area called Macready's land, which contains the Grettir Base (Iceland, unmanned), the Nihonji Base (japan, unmanned), and the Palmer Base (USA, destroyed). The problem arises from the fact that activity has been seen in the palmer base, which was blown up in the only military action that has yet ever been permitted in Antarctica, in early November of 1983. Supposedly there was an outbreak of some classified weapons grade disease at the palmer base and the base was blown to hell with napalm, so there definitely shouldn't be any activity there, not to mention that Macready's land is one of the most remote places in the world. In actuality, the Palmer Base was the base in which the events of THE THING took place (80s version), and I'm sure you can guess what the activity it photographed was.

Essentially the plot boils down to; The Thing is trying to get to some civilization area of the world and you are on a mission to stop it, and stop cultists who want to help it (they are mistaken, it is an alien, not a shoggoth or any other lovecraft creature).

Forgot something when I was explaining. The Grettir Base and Nihonji base are extremely classified, the Grettir base contains 3 compact high power nuclear warheads aimed at the Palmer Base, the Nihonji base contains targeting computers etc to fire the missiles from the Grettir base. Both these bases are essentially one small building with either a small launch pad (grettir) or a compact series of pointed radar targeting dishes (nihonji).

bump

Ah yes the infamous "bump in the night" ploy. I'm onto you Cthulhu. I, Inspector Cleuseau of the Surete, am always, at the disposal of the Delta Green. Yes the bigger the challenge the less concerned I am about it, which is why I will always fail where others succeed.

Any idea on how much being around Cleuseau (peter sellers version) would damage your sanity score?

It becomes a much darker movie if you think about Cleauseau as being Nyarlathotep on a mission to drive Dreyfus, a DM contact/asset/member insane.

I honestly have no idea. Never watched PP.

I would rate the later series as some of the funniest peter sellers movies.

It's just pitiful how hard Cleuseau demolishes Dreyfus's sanity score. And Cleuseau is an utterly oblivious nincompoop.

Oh god, I'm glad I'm not the only who is feeling that way. I was worried that I was just being overly sensitive. I didn't even vote Trump, but even I'm sick of what is basically Obama's Kenyan Birth Certificate 2.0

>The Program's command structure reads like a diversity checklist

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about here. Aren't most of them from the books, which have been out for like a decade now?