Alright, what are your guys' characters?

>Alright, what are your guys' characters?
>I'm a dwarf fighter!
>I'm an elf wizard!
>I'm a human rogue!
>I'm a lesser ice para-genasi with the unseelie fey template druid with the sidhe scholar ACF!
>I'm a human fighter!

>>I'm a human fighter!

>implyng the entire party doesn't exist out of the most ridicilous unique splatbook races

I wanna lewd that elf

It's been several months since you posted this.

>human rogue
>human fighter
>dwarf fighter
>all this overlap

>I'm a warforged gunslinger

>Race + class is the only way he can make an interesting character

I'm going to play my nerdy ice queen fairy princess with cute pet, fuck the haters

If it was an interesting character it wouldn't be described in those terms

Who is Cirno's pet?
I'm pretty sure Koakuma is Patchouli's.

>I'm uh... the mayor of a town or something
>I'm a charming dashing man with amnesia. You handle the backstory.
>Can I have a fairy?
>I'm the daughter of the ruler of the most advanced country on earth, known to the greatest and most powerful minds of the country. I seek to topple my father's nation for the good of the world. [Mrgrgrgr intensifies]

Yes... yes... you can have a fairy. I'm sure I can do something with it.

>If it was an interesting character it wouldn't be described using 2 nouns that make their role and general appearance in the party easily identifiable to everyone

There's a reason you do character introductions/deeper descriptions when the party meets.

Who do you think?

>Not playing as a party made entirely of dumb martials
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckZlj2p8W9M

SENTIENCE!

>I'm a charming dashing man with amnesia. You handle the backstory.
With pleasure.

At least the one guy is honest about his weaboo/powergaming/whatever.

The other 4 are going to whip out whatever dumb sourcebook during the game.

I'd actually prefer if everyone just told me all the bullshit, so I can at least refresh myself on the relevant sourcebook before starting the session.

The wookie rule dictates this will be fun.
Anyone saying otherwise is untrained in the way of the wookie, and needs to rethink their life.

>not being an elf fighter just so you can use greenflame blade cantrip and lie about your ancestral magic sword

We are so fucked

Bravely Default?

Some sort of magical ice fairy? Sure. They're the odd one out, for sure, but as long as they have a coherent concept and can find a good reason to be with the group that's cool.
Also, it's totally possible the elf wizard could end up the way bigger mary sue

>I'm the disgraced/estranged son of the cities court wizard. I was disowned for practicing Necromancy and was thrown on the streets to live in squalor.
>Now I dwindle nobles out of their gold through rigged gambling and fake fortune telling so I can fund my craft and one day destroy my families legacy out of petty revenge and spite.
>I'm a Patsy the 400lb Dwarf Paladin. I'm maxed in Charisma and Constitution. I seduce every holy man/woman I see by heaving the word "Succ".
>I'm a "slam poet" half orc bard. My weapon is a unique hammer lute and every time I roll a nat 20 I have to actually slam irl before crushing my enemies head

Having joke characters and serious characters in the same party is really nice sometimes. Especially when the players know how to play them and interact with each other.

The rest describing their chars in similar fashion didn't upset you?

>Fighting humans

>Wizard
>Anything else
>All this overlap

>I'm a brown haired human male fighter
>My name is Hugh Mann
>I have no distinguishing features and effectively emerged ex nihilo with a short sword and a pot helmet.
>Fighting styles? Sounds like anime snowflake bullshit. I'll just make a normal, undescribed attack every round until I die. Preferably of sepsis or cholera or something. That's a good realistic cause of death

>play a system with shitty snowflake classes/races/templates/gestalts/whateveresleandwhateveritfuckingmeans
>complain

Obligatory.

>Not having session 0 to sort problems out before they happen

>I'd actually prefer if everyone just told me all the bullshit
I used to wonder why doesn't everybody do this. The I discovered the wonderful world of "no agency allowed" DMs that break into hives the moment you mention any plans about the future of your character.

>needing a whole session just to create characters
>not having a perfect mix of grimderp, fetishbait, joke-heavy, backstory-lade, mutually complementing special snowflakes ready without the need of DM involvement beyond providing the setting and campaign pitch

>>not having a perfect mix of grimderp, fetishbait, joke-heavy, backstory-lade, mutually complementing special snowflakes ready without the need of DM involvement beyond providing the setting and campaign pitch

The whole point of session 0 IS to get that perfect mix. It's also so that the GM can get advanced knowledge of the group and tailor the game accordingly.

>I'm a "slam poet" half orc bard. My weapon is a unique hammer lute and every time I roll a nat 20 I have to actually slam irl before crushing my enemies head
Stealing this for when my group rotates to its next campaign with a DM that isn't me.

>Druid nerfs himself for flavor
>complain about it

Yup.

Eh, it's the GMs job to roll with it. I never have a player that wants to be a healer, so I have to build in ways for them to rest and heal without spells. It isn't some MMO where you need to have a set combination or die horribly for not upholding the meta.

>Human Ranger
>Human Fighter
>Elf Fighter
>Dwarf Fighter
>Halfling Rogue
>Halfling Expert
>Aasimar Sorcerer

Wow what a fucking shitty overlapping party.

Character personality and background completely and utterly trumps race and class. You can have the most ridiculous, unique combination of race and class and still be a completely boring-ass character.

>> I'm a human foppish noble berserker with an alarming fixation on preserving the meat of everything the party kills and a dubious source of rations.

>implying Brad isn't a monk
>Implying Nern isn't a bard
>implying Olan isn't a ranger
Rage is the perfect fighter tho

Also 1-1 area companions

I personally find it can be kind of boring/frustrating for players if there's a lot of overlap in niche and not enough mechanical complexity to easily distinguish themselves.

That actually sounds good, if not ideal. Only way it could be better is is one of the fighters became a cleric.

>He doesn't have a session 0
Holy fucking shit, I do not envy you.

Yeah, but hopefully they'll realize that or accept and want to play different characters. I've pointed out that it might be more interesting that way, but sometimes people just don't want to change. Little differences can count more in that case if you capitalize on them. I had a party of all ninjas that eventually all used different weapons and had a few unique skill proficiencies. Had a vibe like teenage mutant ninja turtles. Everyone was basically the same, but different enough to be suited for specific challenges.

If you can't make a male human fighter an interesting character you are a bad player, and use snowflake races as a substitute for personality

Of course, though it can be difficult to make them *mechanically* interesting. Depends on the system .