>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>thread q
So, what cards have you been experementing with that are from the current standard?
Do you think U/G merfolk will ever become a thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

gyazo.com/bcf6d82dfdb5bb8590c035ef4c8f900c
gyazo.com/058645a1d1e8e87ccb6fdb0d8aec9f6dr
gyazo.com/ea2164e3b08f686bb26261d6806e5ea3
gyazo.com/058645a1d1e8e87ccb6fdb0d8aec9f6d
gyazo.com/e1ea6cdb4e028d553481f72a019374d9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>So, what cards have you been experementing with that are from the current standard?
Nothing right now. Waiting for that 3 drop 'choose any #of creatures with combined power 4 or less, sac the rest' to drop and i'm on that.
>Do you think U/G merfolk will ever become a thing?
diluting the kool-aid does not in fact make it taste better.

When will another tribe be shown as much love as Merfolk? How many Lords do they have now?

Slivers

>Ordered a few Spirebluff Canals
>Going through a binder
>Find a set of 4

Well, I guess I can take them to a store around here and try to get a trade out of them. But I really need to start doing better inventory.

The issue with Slivers as a tribal deck is the utility is too far spread out, meaning you got yourself a hodge podge of colors and a struggle to really refine the list. It also lacks any serious evasion past a flying 1 drop, which does help, but it's a lot less powerful to have to run a lord that's only +1/+1 and a lord that is only evasion.

We'd need to see a 2 mana evasion + anthem sliver for the deck to be anything close to real.

>When will another tribe be shown as much love as Merfolk?
Merfolk player here. The new lord will not see play, and the play that it does see will be in non-optimal decks.

If Wizards wanted to "show love" to Merfolk they'd print more cheap tempo creatures like Harbinger and spells on sticks for the sideboard. Running 12 lords turns the deck into mindless aggro.

>tfw there will never be a rat tribal

Is it risky to get into MTGO right now with arena around the corner? What are the odds modern comes to it any time soon?

20 Swamp
32 Relentless Rats
4 Thoughtseize
4 Fatal Push

>print more cheap tempo creatures like Harbinger
creatures that do things to other creatures are toxic and unfun. check out our new 30/30 double strike trample elder munchkin lord its a double-secret mythic rare legendary creature that only costs 7UGR but you can pay Energy for the generic mana if you control more munchkins than your opponent!

You forgot the Mutavaults and Pack rats

I tried to make a rat tribal around discard but it was just too slow. Swarmyard is a powerful card though.

and aether vials and swarmyards and 1 copy or urbog

Champion of the Sea Floor
U
Creature - Merfolk Sea Lion
2/1

0, Remove all +1/+1 counters from [cardname]: Put X +1/+1 counters on [cardname] where X is equal to two less than [cardname]'s power.

Wow! I love Magic now!

As much as I love this, I'm 100% sure a 2/1 for U in Merfolk would be legendary.

Still would play the shit out of it.

4 Mutavault
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Swarmyard
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Polluted Delta
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Swamp

4 Dark Confidant
4 Death's Shadow
4 Pack Rat
12 Relentless Rats

4 Aether Vial

3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
3 Fatal Push
2 Dismember

interesting, i like it

I'm also wondering

You all killed Blood Moon

Half the decks in the format are so occupied on getting people with blood moon that it doesn't get anyone any more

>trying to just stop Magic from happening with Blood Moon
>playing a deck that autoloses to Blood Moon

One is a faggot and the other is an idiot. There's a reason play BM resistant decks.

The definition of a fair card. I used bloodmoon the same way in my edh group, to kill decks i dont like and force people to play red.

how does everyone feel about current year mtg art?

>so warping that it forces everyone to focus everything around it

That's actually the opposite of a fair card. It's like a combo deck that can't be beaten unless you play on specific anti-matchup or the same combo deck.

I'm A newer player started couples years ago with sparse 60 card play then really got Into the game around Kaladesh pre rerelease.

I pulled a noxious gearhulk and foil promo noxious gear hulk as well I truly like the newer art i think it's all pretty well done but when building commander decks i dive into old cards for Ideas and all the older cards have stunningly beautiful art that no modern magic card can even come close to.
1 of my favorites is gyazo.com/bcf6d82dfdb5bb8590c035ef4c8f900c which i slapped In my mono-blue braids deck

Couldn't agree more. Old school Poole is amazing. Rebecca has to be my favorite though.

There's just more charm to it. More grit, there's just more idk man.

Wow that's a neat card, Nice art as well

I personally enjoy a lot of the Kamigawa art

Wish it was in Modern, would be fun. I wonder if Dredge would slot it in?

You don't have to tell me twice.

Heres some of the older cards in my Binder gyazo.com/058645a1d1e8e87ccb6fdb0d8aec9f6dr most of the other ones are in one of my EdH Decks or one of my two 60 cards gyazo.com/ea2164e3b08f686bb26261d6806e5ea3

first link broke dube

gyazo.com/058645a1d1e8e87ccb6fdb0d8aec9f6d
my bad here you go my dude
Heres a bonus gyazo.com/e1ea6cdb4e028d553481f72a019374d9 My commanders

What's the Hawaiian punch meme?

>Do you think U/G merfolk will ever become a thing?
Well
>play UG merfolk
>get access to Lord of Atlantis 9-12, except this one doesn't get islandwalk so it's pretty useless without one of lords 1-8
>that's it
>you don't get access to anything else helpful
>why would you do this
So no, not unless Dominaria gets some really good merfolk in G, which I wouldn't hold my breath for.

did you miss the actually decent merfolks we got in ixa? UG merfolk is already a (bad) thing, having an actually good 1 drop and branchwalker is pretty nice.

Fish only use the green 1 drop, as far as I know. Green also gives it CoCo, but that's about all it will use, if it does.

>splashing green for a single one-drop, a two-drop you don't need, and a lord you don't want
CoCo is a good point though. Forgot about that.

Shifting 8 cards out of 60 is not a small deal and nobody talked about adding the lord and coco is shit in fish. Stop pretending you know what you are talking about.

>Shifting 8 cards out of 60 is not a small deal
I didn't say it was?
>nobody talked about adding the lord
OP's pic implied it
>coco is shit in fish
I agree, but it's more than the "literally nothing" I said you could gain from green earlier so I'm walking back that point.
>Stop pretending you know what you are talking about.
No u

I find some of the new artstyle to be pretty like the new Silvergill adept. But most of it is utter shite

Bring back Rebecca Guay

My one-of Guay Wood Elves in titanshift makes me so happy when I play it.

Bonus points for people asking if it's legal in modern.

wizards doesn't pay enough money to get guay anymore

I wish Cynthia Sheppard just assigned half of the art to herself. We'd have a lot more oppai.

This is now a Rebecca Guay appreciation thread

>Sun Empire commanders are well versed in advance martial strategy. Still, the correct maneuver is usually to deploy the giant, implacable lizard.

That flavor text is a little on the nose

>play champion of the sea floor
>play merfolk lord
>proceed to activate cotsf's ability n times
>have n+1/n creature with islandwalk for a grand total of UUU

seems fair

>Playing
Restore Balance
>Hating
Control matchups
>Brewing
Been messing around with Odds // Ends to try and jank out some trickery against control.

As for current standard cards, Supreme Will has been sweet.

>image
fucken saved wow

>a big chunk of stats on an untargetable body

At least that can be countered.
Carnage Tyrant is even lazier design.

lazy doesn't equal bad design. Counterspell is one of the laziest spells around and it's banned because it's too good.

I'm talking about Carnage Tyrant in specific though.
It's lazy and bad design. Just slap as many keywords as possible on a big fuck you creature.
Luckily, it never took off in Standard and will never see play in any competitive constructed format.

Counterspell is shit design though. When it's good it makes playing around counters, and stack interaction in general, boring as fuck. FoW and Daze are far better designs with actual strengths, weaknesses, and thinking that goes into their use.

I'm not big into Standard, but the price on it is over 10 dollar. Is it really not used? I can see it as a finisher in Standard.

At release it was over $30.
It's too slow and not good enough for anything in Standard to use as a top end.
The most popular deck (Energy) in Standard forces you to interact pretty heavily in the early game or it just crushes you.

The most popular deck (Energy) in Standard forces you to play energy you mean

But Wizards would never let a format be like that????

Whoops

I mean standard is worse than that
legacy is and always was too, brainstorm is broken

Energy is, what, 70% of the meta counting all of the slight variants?

Oh yeah, of course it is.
I just find it funny how a lot of people from formats like Standard and Legacy will complain about the "lack of diversity" in Modern.
It's like they haven't played in their own formats.
But user, they're different!

Threadly reminder that Twin banning was unjustified

Don't worry user, maybe there will be some in not-Kamigawa along with the gundam references.

Twin should have been banned in 2011

>brainstorm is broken
Brainstorm in itself isn't the problem. Brainstorms + practically free ways to shuffle your deck is the problem.

t. Tron player

How dare you

Now let's kiss user

Why would wizards waste their marketing and development budget on a format when their aim is to attract the hearthstone and casual crowd who needs to get carried with strong EtB creatures.

There are too many complicated interactions in eternal formats because of the old cards that would confuse the heck out of new players. Waste of time and money since the number of modern players are nothing compared to the Hearthstone/casual crowd.

Don't know why this question keeps getting asked, it's such a narrow sided viewpoint.

i read this manga while being ill for a month or so some years ago and gives me the feels to remember it tbqh

(You) to upvote my blog

also i want to build a modern deck for upcoming gps, any user here is a jeskai ascendancy guru that could give some guidelines/techs on the deck¿?

>upkeep on my turn 3
>tap your land
>have to play untapped the entire game
>opponent may not even have combo but still have to play around it

There was a match at the Open last weekend where a UR Kiki player beat the shit out of the UW Control player with Pestermites. The UW player couldn't tap out for anything, couldn't waste Path on an attacking Pestermite, couldn't even animate Colonnade untl near the end when he had a surplus of lands.

Playing against Twin is like that but more retarded.

I've got some tech for Jeskai Ascendancy. The first card is Treasure Cruise. This card is sweet because 1 mana for 3 cards ensures you have the gas to go off. The other is Gitaxian Probe because it's a free draw spell so helps keep you going.

>haven't collected magic cards for a while, no one to play with
>start working nights at my call center, loads of nerds play it here
>buy about 5 booster packs at a Walgreens on a whim and take them home
>open first pack and see pic related at the end
>think cool and keep going
>later check tcgplayer and see it's the most expensive card in the set
>mfw

Pure garbage, looks like some plastic shit from Disneyworld and tries to imitate heartstone.

How is this shit acceptable?

counterspell is banned in exactly 0 formats.

Modern is so anti-midrange right now that I'm actually wondering if Deathrite Shaman would even make a dent in the format.

It would probably go into death's shadow, maybe make some control deck splash green for it. But i only saw it played a bit in legacy, i have no idea what the card is actually like.

>a bit in legacy
It's in ~36% of top 8 decks. Deathrite Shaman is basically the format right now honestly considering decks with only 1-2 top 8s aren't very relevant statistically.

In Modern he'd obviously be a huge boon to GBx midrange, but when your opponent is slamming Tron onto the table or ripping a fat T4 Scapeshift, who honestly cares? And if it was in the format, GDS would likely take a downturn because an opponent's Deathrite Shaman can eat your graveyard, shutting off your Snapcasters and making delve spells much harder to cast.

i said i saw it a bit in legacy, not that it's played a bit in legacy my man.

You wanna fuckin go lad?

Unban Dark Depths.

>cracking packs
you still wasted money

No pls, i will speak more clearly. Sorry.

It would single-handedly spawn sultai control and make jund a thing again. The utility of that thing cannot be underestimated. In creatures toolbox alone it would instantly replace noble hierarch/bird of paradise

Crack this dick nibba

And they're still not as good as elves

>drshaman is as popular as whirler virtuoso

You paid for your packs as long as you can find someone to buy it. How exciting.

I know a lot of people shit on it and while I agree we have a lower overall quality nowadays, I think people like to overstate it. Pic related is likely new art for Stasis in MTGO and I'm always sad I'll only ever have that ugly alternative in physical form.

Capitalism at its finest. Just keep shaving away money from the actual game to pay executives more.

That art made my dick rock hard, not gonna lie

Bitch do NOT shit on OG Stasis. It's dope as shit.

That new art is fantastic as well though. In terms of "objectivity" it's the better piece but there's something about original Stasis that's novel. I think it might just be so odd and out of place in Magic that I enjoy it. I mean Richard Garfield's aunt made it ffs, we're never getting anything like this again.

I don't know how to properly equate it, but it's like finding out Nintendo has been a company for nearly 130 years and looking at some of their cards and toys from years past.

Based old stasis.

>not having a canvas Stasis art hanging in your living room

How bad would un-banning Stoneforge Mystic be?

>That art
o heck that might be better than Baleful Strix art damn Seb is good.

>play GW elves
>look up LSV's old videos of elves
>apparently they use glimpse of nature and nettle sentinel for a very high number of spells and card draw
>grapeshot is the win con

So is there a logical way do mimic this with Lifecrafters bestiary?

>Counterspell
>banned

I swear, you are the kind of dumb retard this game has been catering for in the last years.

arena is shit and will be dead in a few months from release (it won't even get a large playerbase at launch) it also has an unsustainable f2p model, so don't bother.