EDH/Commander General

"Weird-ass shit" edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question:
What's the weirdest, most out-of-the-box deck you play?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8526&p=90025#p90025
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My banding deck. Its using Avacyn, Angel of Hope right now but I'm actually working on converting it to Arahbo since his eminence ability would be pretty handy and green is a really useful color for the deck. I've considered trying out Naya as well but really its all just for funsies anyway since nobody around me even plays commander

>mfw I still don't have a "functional" edh deck other than a slightly modified meren precon, just a bunch of bits and pieces
>mfw keep getting interested in other decks
>mfw I don't even really play this format that often, let alone enough to justify buying multiple several hundred dollar decks.
It's like I want to build Meren, Titania, Ezuri Elfball, Newzuri, Patron, Feldon, Erebos, Hapetra, Bruna, Sydri, Kaalia, Sidisi/Damia reanimator, and Ayli all at once and I just don't have that kind of bank. So all that happens is I sometimes buy some of the cheaper staples while the more expensive staples keep raising in price like Urborg or Coffers.

please assist

Nope, that's always gonna be sorcery speed

not even pulling one card from my graveyard or hand?

There's a lot more, just search for them yourself you lil shit

VulpesSweetLittleGurl

Why do so many people bitch about Edgar markov? Ezuri, Ghave, even Thromok crap out tokens at a fast rate AND have access to green for ramp. I just don't get the hate

You can remove all of those. You can't do shit about eminence.

>LGS hard bans all land destruction and stax because it's "unfun"
>puts arbitrary limit on counterspells and removal allowed in a deck
>meta devolves into games decided by whoever draws their combo first
>store owner and local judge who organizes the event each like to join games with their no wincon group hug decks and play kingmaker
>if your deck is deemed unfun in any way, table will continue to play as if you're not there

and now they're telling me that my neheb (formerly ashling, formerly hidetsugu, first EDH deck i ever built) is unfun because it "kills everyone".

i love magic, but i'm seriously thinking about quitting it for good. i don't want to play online because the social aspect (if you're playing with good people and not shithead randos) is a big draw for me.

Can't interact with eminence without spells or abilities like stifle
Edgar has both access to incremental token production as well as infinite combo potential with pic related now.

My fiancee uses this one and I've lost to it once I think

tfw you build a kess storm deck to play commander with all of the high tier magic players at your local store but they all sell out of magic and now you're 'that guy'

i have stared into the abyss and now it stares back

some people like to durdle and don't play wraths and get blown out by a big double combat step with edgar and 12 tokens on turn 7

Sometimes I feel bad that I have the most fun when I get to watch other people not play magic while I have fun ruining their games but really thats just how it go sometimes. But you're already playing with retards so I don't see why you care at all

I'd say that you should pick just one or two non-gimmicky decks you think you'll enjoy playing for a while.
Every time I built a gimmicky deck, I lost interest pretty quick, such as with Kraj, but at least I got some staples out of it, like judge foil Morphling.

I once saw someone who had a combo in their Battle of Wits deck where they milled their own library then cast this.

nah man, if you play anything even remotely stax-y they'll just ignore it and pretend you're not at the table with them. skip your turn and give you the silent treatment.

Yeah what I'm saying is they're retarded and you're playing with shitheads. Find new people to play with or join the
>tfw no playgroup
club and start fantasizing about being able to play online but online kind of sucks but its better than not being able to play at all but you don't know anybody who plays online so fuck

hmm

>Battle of Wits in EDH
Que?

the only way i can feasibly see this happening is a playgroup that is very lax about wish rules and lets you grab any card, an infinite mana source, and activating spawnsire of ulamog 150 times for 150 ulamogs that all die to legend rule and shuffle into your deck

>play Spawnsire of Ulamog
>put 201 RoE Ulamog's or Kozilek's into play
>legendary rule then shuffle triggers
>you now have 200+ cards in your library
And if your playgroup doesn't let you do this because EDH has no sideboards, you need a new playgroup because clearly they hate fun.

Nice LGS full of babies. Kinda sounds like local YGO and waifucarders.

You only need to active Spawnsire once my dude

I'd let my friend do this if he owned enough of the Eldrazi no proxies allowed.
He'd earn it then.

Image didn't send

>control/durdle decks dont like agressive decks that kill them befofe they combo
Wow no fucking shit. Play cards like bloodmoon and make them feel what its like to be controlled by red. Pack all your counterslots with pyroblast/reb and win with wincons like mycosynth and shatterstorm. If you wanted to get really cheeky you could win with grenzo, rogues passage, neheb, and aggrivated assault. Exiling all their decks with one boi will probably be your last game at that concentration camp you call an lgs but it would be a glorious end.

u wot m8

You can just fetch 1 single Eldrazi Titan with the shuffle trigger and 1 Mirror Entity to activate for 0, then 148 other random changelings and eldrazi.

A meta like that can and should be broken, and it should be done in the most humiliating way possible. Drawing all their cards 1 at a time until theyre dead and being able to play them all is a good way to show them the error of their ways.

You'd need the cards in your library, which is the pile of face down cards you draw from.

Exactly how stupid are you?

Is mono red neheb that fun? Ive got one but it seemed gimicky like ashling where it’d be fun one or two times and then i’d have builders remorse.

I dunno how stupid I'm meant to be but you definitely need 200+ cards in your deck not including any on the battlefield, in your hand, graveyard or exile.

That user got the number wrong for some reason, but the principle is the same. Use Spawsire to fetch Ulamog + Mirror Entity + 198 Eldrazi. Activate Mirror Entity for 0, killing all your dudes. They all hit the graveyard at the same time, Ulamog triggers, and shuffles your graveyard into your library.
Congrats, you now have 200+ cards in your library.

you can just get an arbitrary amount of ulamogs, they'll already die to the legend rule

Do you enjoy mono red but dont want to shit infinite goblins, go down a linear path to victory like godo but dont want to play ashling then youve gotta play neheb.

I think that suggestion came after said they'd do it if the person owned all their Eldrazi, so if you own enough Ulamogs to win a Battle of Wits, you probably need it to feel better about your collection.

"make a lot of mana" opens a lot of possibilities

The point was there was a much more cost-efficient way than buying 200 copies of a $20 card.

Izzet Goblin Tribal. Is it worth it?

Wort does it better, because you get to play wort. One game i had warren instigator as a 10/10 trample

blue adds nothing

just play krenko or either wort

what’s the best way to make a wishboard?

don't bother with it unless you're playing cedh

if you're playing cedh, it's redundancy for your combos and situational stuff against your meta

Make one but don't expect to use it all the time, unless you always play in the same group and they're chill.

mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8526&p=90025#p90025

>Thread Question
I play a Zedruu "Group Hug" deck that carries a decent amount of howling mine effects I stole from someone on mtgsalvation. I've since tweaked it to include the dumbest combos I can think up and change it around every so often when something new comes up.

I won my last game by donating Price of Glory to someone and generating infinite landfall triggers/mana by blowing my own lands up with Sacred Ground out.

Pretty much the only constant in the deck is Wild Research

The new guy in our group was asking if we'd let him use Thrasios and Sygg, River Guide as partners because there's no Bant merfolk commander. Should we let him?

Kumena not being Bant was a huge oversight

Just let him play white cards in Thrasios and/or Kumena. Sygg isn't great but he's better than most partner options

Might as well.

Maybe you could start drawing 2 sometimes too. Or how about just letting someone cast spells they don't have the right colour mana for if they have at least the right CMC?

I mean commander started as a fake format, this sort of thing isn't really out of the question. We let another guy use Maelstrom Archangel as his commander, which can lead to some pretty fun games.

No, that feels like a trap to me; a way to figure out how far he can bend/break the rules before you guys get bothered with it. That's a rabbit hole you really, really don't want to explore.

Thrasios + Sidar Kondo does the same thing for colors and without requiring house rules. Hell, he can even run Sygg in there.

Come play in a real meta. Right now my group plasy stax with mld, stax with artifact ramp, stax with a fuckload of card draw, stax into combo, and stax with more stax.

As much as some people would hate this, you need to go balls to the wall, or you're going to get blown the fuck out. No grouphug kingmaker bullshit. No politics. Just pure, unadulterated, skullfucking. We've had """cEDH""" shitters come play with us and they just can't handle it. Ghave's too slow, Mimeoplasm is a joke, Darietti is lolred, and honestly, it's so fun. Kess storm brews and tazri are way too unreliable to dong on the table, but even casual decks that sit down with us have a good time, and often win, because we spend the entire game making sure the other players don't combo.

>Come play in a real meta.
shit man, i would love to. it sounds like the group i had back in college before we all split.

sygg is secretly one of the best control commanders. a strictly better foxy loxy with a low curve does a lot. his only downside is he isn’t green.

>strictly
that's not what that means

I honestly feel bad for people who've never had this experience, but I don't know if it's worse to know what you're missing. You can come play with me any time you'd like, though I live in the hellish deathscape of beaverland.

I always laugh at people who post their lists in this general with like 20+ creatures, but act like they're hot shit. There's no way decks like that would beat any decent deck.

there’s nothing wrong with my vocabulary

No, let him use another partner. Fucking thrasios is busted as all hell in a merfolk deck and doesnt need a full powered sidekick to make him look bad.

>tfw my goblins get here tomorrow
I wont have all of the goblins and lands and such yet, but Im off to a pretty good start

8.5 tails can save you from lethal spell damage while sygg cannot

i.e. sygg is not "strictly" better

sygg is definitely more practical as a commander though

i.e.

Second Thread Question:
What blocks (doesn't have to be just one or even concurrent) would make for a real fun EDH card pool?

Inversely, what sets would you are?

Would you axe*
Phone posting is a hell of a drug

OG zendikar was pretty good

either of the ravnica blocks for commander diversity

i'd probably axe original mirrodin because it's mostly just overpowered and boring artifacts

My Keranos landfall deck. Pick between pulling all basics from my deck into play in a single turn, infinite landfall triggers, infinite 1/1 flyers, or infinite copies of an instant/sorcery.

My deck themes keep ending up innistrad, ravnica, zendikar, dominaria with a dash of ixalan, a generous splash in lorewyn/shadowmoor and a smatterting of key of new phyrexia cards.
Id axe theros, kamigawa and tarkir if i had to axe sets. The cards from those sets are either not impactful enough or are straight busted. Also that means Id get to ban kodamas reach which means green has less ways to abuse its mechanics.

Maybe some of you remember me, maybe you don't. But I have a story for you.

>I'm "that guy" who plays in a meta where custom commanders are allowed
>there's one guy literally playing Azathoth, The Blind Idiot God that reads:
>5WURBG
>Indestructible, hexproof, persist
>When Azathoth enters the battlefield, exile all other permanents. If you control Azathoth at the beginning of your next upkeep, you win the game.
>I told a story about countering it with summary dismissal, and the faggot using it as justification to continue running it, which my playgroup allowed.
>anyways, today I went over to play some EDH with these sloppy fucks
>everyone is now rocking a wide variety of shitty custom commanders
>I bring in some new hotness
>a fully tuned Oona infinite mill deck
>oodles of mana shitting out everywhere, even more tutors, and a buttload of staxlocks
>but for this playgroup I made a custom commander
>"Oona, the Mill God"
>"3: Target opponent exiles the top card of their library. If it was a nonland card, each player draw a card."
>at first they think it's hilarious
>and now custom commanders are banned
I'm so happy anons, you don't even understand.

Good work user, custom cards are cancer.

Thrasios doesn't really have merfolk synergy besides the creature type

Thrasios is way more busted when he can be a wincon in the command zone and when he gets to play with black and white cards

Proud of you user

Hey I remember you! Glad to hear you fixed that problem, truly an inspiration.

give me a specific number?

probably kamigawa, honestly, and khans

The only synergy merfolk have is that they are merfolk. Thrasios gets to be a busted unblockable omega beater and gets to draw you your whole deck if you build it right.

relevant

Yeah I'm sure your shitty homebrew can beat tier 1 decks you shitter

That's simply not true. Look at the Merfolk legends that give actual bonuses to Merfolk - Kopala, Kumena, UW Sygg.

Playing Thrasios as the commander of a Merfolk deck is like playing Vorel as the commander of a Merfolk deck. Yes, it's a Merfolk, but it doesn't give any Merfolk-specific bonuses - just giving random value.

Obviously Thrasios draws your deck with infinite mana, but if that's your main goal you shouldn't be filling your deck with Merfolk

oops

Thanks guys. I almost quit magic entirely after the first time, but then I decided fuck that, and beat them at their own game.

And boy howdy, did I beat them at their own game. After the 5th game in a row I locked them out then decked everyone, it was Azathoth who ironically wanted custom commanders banned. I consider it a flawless victory.

>this merfolk isnt tribal because his ability isnt restricted to merfolk
Your arguement is akin to saying hes too good so he cant be tribal. The card gets you to the other merfolk, enchantments and artifacts that matter and gets rid of chaff land draws while also getting you a free card to play always. Hes a great merfolk commander and an excellent leader for a tribal merfolk deck.

>>"3: Target opponent exiles the top card of their library. If it was a nonland card, each player draw a card."
I don't get it, why is that worse than the azathoth thing?

Also, nice timestamp there user.

>building 5c Zuberas, clones, self-mill, mass reanimator, and aristocrats
do you think wizards would ever print a panharmonicon for effects that trigger on death?

>pay 3 mill 2 cards from each opponent
>doesnt dump eldrazi into the gy by either exiling it or putting it in their hand
The card is busted, and does whst it does in a way that is almost unstoppable. Its not that its worse, its that it was just as foolproof.

Infinite mana kills everyone as long as you can cast OOna

sounds like an average tasigur list

You anons missed my favorite parts of that card, and the whole reason I phrased it that way:
>colourless mana, so it's infintely easier comboing off
>each player draws a card, so I automatically get counterspell backup if the number is high enough

tymna+thrasios is like that but already legal and in more colors

Why would you play him over Kumena, who
>attacks more effectively
>Is a better card draw engine than Thrasios in a dedicated Merfolk deck
>pumps your entire team

Hell I'd rather play Tishana who can draw a bunch of cards on ETB and gives you no max hand size.

Thrasios is a better overall commander than these two, but he's a worse Merfolk tribal commander than those two.

I could see it. Ixalan gives me hope with its funky enchantment lands.

Lifeline and Shirei already exist though and would probably give even more value than that theoretical card

So a long time ago, someone showed me a deck that I would best describe as BW wraths tribal, and was just full of every kind of black and white mass removal, and was designed to make the game go on for as long as possible, it ran land destruction as well. I don't remmeber what was in it exactly or where to find the list again, any thoughts on what all would be in such a thing, who would be a good general for it too?

you're missing red. play marchesa.

become the monarch, then keep wrathing and blowing up lands while drawing extra cards from being the monarch

Mhm, those two are on my list already.

Deck's a lot more fun than I thought it would be, but it's a hell of a lot more grindy. I was hoping for big, swingy turns where I sac everything, drop living death, then do it again for a win, but that's so rare that usually I just use my Zubera triggers to stay alive/clear the board.

yeah, red has all of the truly nasty wraths.

was that sarcasm?
red has a few really good board wipes and all the MLD

What happens if I have Form of the Dinosaur and Form of the Dragon active at the same time

MLD that also destroys everything else.

did you not want that? seems like the kinda thing you were wanting to do with your deck.

You pick a target to hit for 15 for Dinosaur and a target for 5 with Dragon. The one you kill for Dinosaur will deal it's power back to you, should you not die from the exchange, your life becomes 5 at the end of the turn.
Seems real bad because you can't kill a creature with power 5+ with dinosaur and it's not optional.