Let's have a Risus thread

Let's have a Risus thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B34WOGniL1AKLW50dXBBMkVHMXM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's a Risus Trove of mine. Enjoy.
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B34WOGniL1AKLW50dXBBMkVHMXM

Thanks, reminds me of Kingdom of Loathing.

Added Pumpkin Spice Ed. Knew I had it somewhere.

Not so subtle bump post for good luck. Anyone use creative house rules? I allow Lucky Shots to be spent in place of losing Clichè dice. Questing Dice too but only if relevant as per the Questing Dice rules.

OP (4), Cool Guy (2), Totally Not a Faggot [2]

Risus is my go to heavy drinking or nothing better happening game. I get my players to make their character, any character they want, without knowing what anyone else is making then run something fucked up. It has been gloriously fun every time.

So what do you guys think of the "death spiral" inherent in Risus? I've seen many house rules that attempt to mitigate it but I've also read arguments for why it is a good thing.

what is this death spiral?

Ayy, I was hoping someone would make a thread about this game.

How is it? I've read the rules, but I'd like to hear people's experiences with it. It seems like a good system to run campaign ideas for things that are hard to find specific rules for or if I just don't want a lot of crunch.

The "death spiral" is when a Clichè loses a die, thus being less capable of winning subsequent rounds and therefore vulnerable to losing further dice if a conflict is further pursued.

bump

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation

No problem. So yeah, some have a problem with the death spiral while others accept it or even outright embrace it. Wonder how Veeky Forums feels about it.

I'm OK with the death spiral, it's easy to keep track of in Risus.

This is a good idea and you are a good person.

I'm fine with the death spiral. Combat should be scary. You can always use other cliches and take risks to get extra dice. There are mechanisms for ameliorating it.

Without it the combat just seems very low-stakes and hum-drum, since it's such a very simple system.

In fact I don't like most of the mods that I've seen people apply to the game. Complicates it without actually adding any good tension, drama or interesting choices.

Vanilla Risus all the way.

I'm with the other guy. The death spiral is how you beat enemies that are stronger than you are. You use various tricks in the system to knock 'em down a die or two, and then they're weakened enough you should be able to take them.
I like modifications to Risus though.

Why do I play Risus over GURPS?

Setup time for Risus: ~30 seconds

Setup time for GURPS: ~30 days

I kek'd. Funny response to a silly question.

Are there house rules for some kind of fate points or something? Because I like the idea of players having a few red dice sitting off to the side that they can throw into rolls of their choice, using them up in the process. Even if you can only spend 1 per roll and only have a total of 3, that would give PCs a bit of flexibility.

You just answered your own question. Done.

You could do that. There's also rules like pumping dice and such, and even more options in the Risus Companion, all of which are meant to give characters a way to overcome obstacles that are too high for them to fight straight-up.

Wow, that was super easy. Testing something out here...

"Are there any arrangements for having sex with hot young girls? Because I like the idea of having a few sitting off to the side that I could throw onto my dick. Even if I could only use 1 at a time and only have a total of 3 per week, that would give me a bit of flexibility."

*waits impatiently*

Yes, there are, but the girls are only 2D.

Remember:

>"Masturbation is like having sex with the person you love the most: yourself." -Woody Allen

Look up Lucky Shots in the core rules.

this is my first exposure to this game but i like it so far. maybe play a game this weekend. see what the boys say.

My contempt for all of the mankind doesn't have such hypocritical exceptions.

dude watch that edge you could cut yourself

An variant of this I like to do is to have everyone bring their favorite Lego mini-fig and then stat them up. Shenanigans always ensue.

There's few systems easier to run, and with the Companion you can alter the rules to fit the specific tone you want for your game. It's been one of my go-to's for years and I've discovered that it can handle darned near anything.

Of course.As the DM you have ultimate narrative control. If oyu want hot girls sitting at hand ready to jump your bones at the drop of the hat, then by god that's what happens.
In your imagination.

Didn't see this gem in your folder. Enjoy.

Saved and thank you.

Absolutely my pleasure.