Malifaux General, Unpleasantly Aroused Edition

OLD THREAD: Malifaux is a skirmish-level wargame with a number of unique features, set in an alternative earth around the end of the 1800's.
Thematically, Malifaux incorporates magic, steampunk, undead, wild west, and supernatural horror.
SCALE: Malifaux is billed as 32mm Heroic.
RNG: Instead of dice, it uses a deck of cards with a control hand. This means that card value influences success, but card suit triggers additional abilities. Players can 'cheat fate' by throwing cards from their control hand when losing a Duel (card draw). This adds a layer of resource management to the game.
STONES: players also have access to a pool of Soulstones which are used to purchase forces. Leftover soulstones can be used for a variety of effects, such as adding suits to cards played in a duel to guarantee triggers, adding a second layer of resource management.
GAMEPLAY: each game has a Strategy (overall goal) and several schemes (player goals) which are needed to win.
FORCE SELECTION: Crews are generally led by Masters, powerful individuals with dark secrets and eldritch powers. Armies are only picked after Strategies and Schemes have been generated, making netlisting pointless.
WHY SHOULD I CARE?:
1. It's cheap- most master boxes are under US$50 online and are a complete force on their own.
2. It's deep- resource management elements, unit synergies and the unique card-based RNG system make Malifaux easy to learn and fun to master.
3. It's not full of assholes- most Malifaux players are competitive but very welcoming and helpful.
4. Rich IP- no matter what you want to play, it's got you covered.
5. You can table your opponent and still lose. Malifaux is about achieving goals, not just slaughtering your opponent. A Crew that excels at one Strategy may be useless at another; Malifaux is the thinking gamer's skirmish system.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg
mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ
mega.nz/#!F4UDWIQD!HPHQPzKYpPSHr8QfTRrfaCkgjdauyp-WBCVQf1WTHxI
mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

RESOURCES:

Stat Card Almanac (Stat cards for units in game,may be out of date):
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

Books 1-4.
Newbs start with books 1 and 2 for rules, fluff and Wave 1&2 Masters and Crews.
mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Book 5:
mega.nz/#!F4UDWIQD!HPHQPzKYpPSHr8QfTRrfaCkgjdauyp-WBCVQf1WTHxI

Through the Breach (Malifaux RPG):
mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Other resources:
CrewFaux app (iOS, may be on other platforms)- easy Crew builder, no stats though.
Bad Things Happen (iOS, may be on other platforms)- Wyrd's official Malifaux app, a few dollars unlocks all stat cards in the game and it's updated automatically.
Newb advice: Get the main rulebook and these two apps for maximum value.

I would ask you all, when accessing this info, please bear in mind that Wyrd is a small company of really good guys.
They're not a cash juggernaut like GW, or a bunch of dicks like Privateer Press.
Please support them by buying physical copies of the books that have Masters you play, and buy the models instead of proxying. Even just buying the Bad Things Happen app and the main rulebook would be good karma.

If you don't support the products you love in a meaningful way, there won't be products in the future.

I'm worried that all the noise certain loud pricks are making on the awful place is going to steer Wyrd towards going the PP route, and working primarily through the app.

I don't like using my phone for these things, and it's also slower.
That's just a fact, and it boggles the mind that there are people claiming it isn't.

The people complainingthat using cards is in any way inconvenient need a slap too - it's a deck box, maybe two or three if you have a shit ton of stuff in regular rotation.
I have my cards organised by theme within faction, and even if I were to intentionally make the most mixed-theme crew I could, I don't think it would take more than ninety seconds to retrieve all the necessary cards and upgrades.

Also, I've literally seen a guy using the app checking facebook for several minutes during a game, and you can't do that in Malifaux without really fucking up the flow of the game.

well, I wouldn't mind the app if it was Infinity's Army 3 tier quality stuff, but it isn't. It's slow and the game's not really good for it.

Yeah, I just use the BTH app to make sure I have the latest version of the cards, and CrewFaux to build Crews. Once that's done the iPad gets put away and the cards go down.

It's why I'm in a quandary over MEGA links, if someone is going to DL this stuff they're going to do it with or without them. At the very least I want to encourage people to actually support Wyrd financially some way.

>I've literally seen a guy using the app checking facebook for several minutes during a game

I'd ask him to not do that, then simply concede and go looking for another player if he kept doing it. Shit's rude no matter how you cut it.

So has anyone come up with any more good proxies for Guild Guard, now that Lucius is all about spamming trench coat mafia?

>, now that Lucius is all about spamming trench coat mafia?
Did guild guard get a change? Last I heard they were still awful.

They are down to three rocks now.

Crewfaux and Bad Things Happen have been on Android since their inception. And for main rulebook, you should refer to it as the Rules Manual as there is a difference between that and the Core Rulebook.

I'm slowly buying the books on the months I don't .need. more plastic crack.
If I had to drop $90 on books just to be able to play the game when I started I'd have been less keen to buy in.

They are still bad, but they can be buffed into usefulness by other Guard and the Scribe, and you can buy ablative Guard to make sure there's one left for what you need it to do.

Remember that the Rules Manual is free from Wyrd's website. You don't really need to pay for it as a result, though physical copies are only $15.

Do you really want more than a pair of them? Take two for six stones for the activations and a little scheming, and then buy something good.

Even at the new price having 9+ stones tied up in bad models still seems bad. Especially since they don't have anything like dumb luck or drunk & reckless.

>They are down to three rocks now.
What! Impossible! Three soulstones! Activation control with ruin the game!
[Other unintelligible gibberish people say after losing to Gremlins]

Wanto to get into malifaux with neverborn - what is the best crew or 3 crews to get for 3 masters ? I was thinking titania and 2 others - what would they be ?

Pandora and Lilith to go with Titania so you can have a lot which works between them. Titania loves Sorrows and Barbaros. Meanwhile Pandora is a fan of Autumn Knights. They will all benefit from faction staples like Primordial Magic and Dopplegangers. With them you should be able to handle any scheme and strategy.

Thanks will do just that - but does Lynch work in Neverborn or is he more of a 10T master ?

He is probably better in TT, but I think that he is still good in Neverborn. Illuminated are rock solid minions that you may want to use with all of your other Neverborn masters. Fears Given Form is wonderful with huggy, along with a Doppleganger to help your crew (You will always have good cards to cheat for initiative). Gwyneth Maddox and cheaper Beckoners have certainly helped him recently.

They are basically garbage models, but they make ok backfield scheme-sweepers if something like Covert Breakthrough or Leave Your Mark was in the pool.
Two starting in the middle of your deployment zone, and then they can be semi-responsive when it becomes apparent which way they need to go.
They have an ability to teleport to an enemy scheme marker within 5" when they acitivate, so they can bounce there and remove it, or go double defensive to camp and block scoring, or try to hit their "Arrest: no moving" trigger.
May not be great, but it can interfere with two or three turns of scoring, which can be enough if they don't go hard enough after scoring them.

Are these any good?
I know little to nothing about them, only heard they were pointless.

I liked Guild Sergeants as they could do claim jump on their own. That was pretty much the only reason I took them.

I’m playing a lot of Lucius, so Dashel and Guards both dropping a stone makes them a bit more appealing (especially Dashel who was regarded as over costed).
For the old price of Dashel and two guards I now get Dashel and three guards, what’s not to like about that? Sure they’re not especially good at anything, but activation control is powerful, and this moves me one step closer.

I don't think that spam is as potent now. But Dashel being reduced in cost certainly helps. The Guards can be a good counterpart to the dogs now, depending on what you want to do.

With ToS, how is hiring with the syndicates going to work now that the syndicates are going to become entire factions on their own? The dual faction commanders can let you hire a limited amount of scrip worth of models from another faction, but I am not sure if there are any limits with the syndicate commanders.

The only Syndicates that are full factions now are the original 2, Court of Two and Guild. I haven't seen how they work with the 4 release factions, but pretty sure they'll work similar to the dual faction commanders.

Keep in mind that we know for sure the Sandmen are going to be a syndicate soon and not a full faction, so we're likely to see more later (Freikorps for example would be awesome)

Thanks user, will incorporate this in the next general.

Same with this.

Additionally, sorry for kicking off the new thread so soon (to those two salty fucks who got bent out of shape about it on the old thread). Won't make that mistake again.

Now, who can recommend some good batreps on youtube? I'm looking for ones that would be good for new players to watch to get a feel for the game.

I'd also like to start compiling a list of scenery suppliers and ideas, so chime in with any ideas.

I've not been keeping up, what's going on? Syndicates?

I started with Lucius, Lynch and The Dreamer. Have since added Pandora.
If I were going to recommend anything, I'd recommend avoiding dual faction masters, just to keep things simple as you learn.
If you buy units after that, look for ones that work with more than one master.

>I don't think that spam is as potent now.
I've only played I think four games with GG18, but I defintely feel like they've done some good work in mitigating activation control.

And even with free Focus on top of +flips, Guild Guard aren't achieving a great deal - Sh/Ml4 min. 1 is just not up to much.
Having said that, 0ss Arrest Him! is a great upgrade for Dashel, making his Collier worthwhile as well as lettting you sprout chaff in an opponent's face.

Guild Riflemen, on the other hand, are decent - set up to cover the right area and activated right, you can take two Focus+1 shots at 14" range with +RR (3/4/6).
Or four shots with Companion, flipping three cards high to hit, then probably a straight flip for damage, meaning it's not hard to land 12+ damage on anything that wants to challenge that area.

I need to pick up some Austringers.

Syndicates are sub factions, with either an earthside or Malifaux allegiance, and depending on which one they can be 'allied in' to regular armies. The original 2, which are full factions now, were Court of Two (Malifaux allegiance, so work with Gibbering Hordes or Cult of the Burning Man) and Guild (Earthside, so King's Empire or Abyssinia)