Is Xianxia part of Wuxia or its own genre?

Is Xianxia part of Wuxia or its own genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ERiUtIF23fo
kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31707
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's the same as asking, is Star Wars a science fiction movie?

The answer being... sort of? They use a lot of the same shit, but a lot of different shit too. You'd have people come in and say "Of course Star Wars is sci-fi, it's got laser beams and space ships." And other people would say to the first "You're fucking stupid, Star Wars is clearly science fantasy, which is completely different."

So really the answer is that everything's made up and genres don't matter.

Explain these terms to me

Xianxia = Epic Fantasy

Wuxia = Low fantasy

Xianxia = Fate of the heavens hangs in the balance

Wuxia = Protecting the local martial arts school from an evil rival or plucky villagers from gangsters/bandits

In wuxia, you have the martial artists jumping 7 meters in the air and exchanging blows that can immediately shut down a human body. Think Kung Fu Panda.

In Xianxia you have demigods surfing at Mach 3 on giant swords and fighting country destroying Kaiju by summoning a thousand swords made of lightning and holy energy. youtube.com/watch?v=ERiUtIF23fo

Wuxia is your average Jet Li film about some real-life martial dude. Xianxia is an epic stuff regarding the very existence of the universe, plus martial arts somewhere in the 3rd plan of the background.

>Wuxia = Low fantasy
I think xianxia is epic fantasy and wuxia is high fantasy. Regular martial arts movies are low fantasy.

The guy on the right is from Xianxia.

High/Low fantasy is about scale

High fantasy involves entire nations, supernatural realms, oftentimes gods, and multiple generations of backstory

Low fantasy is about the struggles of far less people and over a shorter time period, maybe a kingdom at biggest scale. Can even follow just one person.

Third post best post

No. Originally High fantasy didn't take place on earth and Low fantasy did. Then High Fantasy came to mean, high magic/power level, and low fantasy meant low magic/power level.

You're welcome to try to introduce a third definition though.

And here we are, having two idiots arguing about what is and what's not high and low fantasy...
How about you simply stop using retarded classification system that means jack shit in practice?

>two idiots
>implying we aren't the same person
Now who's an idiot?

>Look how superior I am! Namecalling and scoffing at constructive discussion

Xianxia is a subgenre of Wuxia

In Wuxia the martial artist stays as one, he may have some mystical powers but it's just being the big hero on the block

In Xianxia the martial artist becomes an immortal, he is the most powerful being in the universe and can probably create his own universe if he wants to

There's also Xuanhuan which is Xianxia but with elves

Legends of the Wulin is absolute shite.

What other system can do martial arts well? I want to play a Fist of the North Star game.

This is the single best explanation of Wuxia I've ever seen kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31707

But the basic breakdown of the differences is this
>Martial Arts
Any movie Bruce Lee ever did, everything is fairly realistic and possible for an extremely well trained individual
>Wuxia
Crouching Tiger or most Fighting Games, wire-fu and special moves start showing up and the impossible becomes possible
>Xianxia
Starts at Wuxia and then progresses to DBZ/Asura's Wrath levels of bullshit with monsters and magic thrown in
Pic is something you might see in Xianxia

>Then High Fantasy came to mean, high magic/power level, and low fantasy meant low magic/power level
That never happened.

Can you expand on that? I love LotW, although I'll acknowledge the book itself is awful, the editing makes it nigh on unusable. If you actually get the rules working right, though, it's fuckin' incredible.

What is this a reference to?

The legend of the Monkey King is a curious case because it starts full no-brakes Xianxia with Sun Wukong destroying the heavens and killing thousands of gods but by the start of Journey to the West it becomes more down to earth.

It's not incredible. It's slow and needlessly vague.

A better system please.

Can you expand on that? I'm honestly curious.

Although it might be just a matter of it not suiting your playstyle. Combat is involved but that's part of why I love it, resolving multiple actions a turn involves decisionmaking but it also adds to the depth a lot, while the ambiguity gives you a lot of freedom in how you fluff things, which is also meaningful given how the system marries fluff and crunch. If you don't like abstraction you won't like LotW though, it does abstract basically everything into broad genre categories rather than nitty gritty martial arts details.

The Wandering Heroes of Ogre Gate might fit? I looked at it a while back, absolutely not to my taste because it did the granular thing, but if that's what you're looking for it might fit.

Godbound, maybe?

>Can you expand on that? I'm honestly curious.
What's to add?

There's no depth to a 4 hour combat. There's nothing fun about objectively broken styles and combat options. It's fucking boring.

More consistent rules for making styles and combat would make the game better. Too bad it isn't.

You're not giving me enough detail to really understand where you're coming from. I've played the system a hell of a lot, and while what you described before sounds like a playstyle conflict, what you're describing right now is just confusing.

What about the combat lacked depth?

When you're talking about broken styles and combat options, are you talking about Heaven's Lightning, Removing Concepts and the problem that is Courtier Secret Arts Attackers? Because those are all legit problems and I entirely agree with you that they fuck the system, but they're all relatively easy to fix.

Did I trigger your autism or something? Why do you care? I don't like the system. It's boring and vague.

Because I'm interested in why you dislike it, because that kind of information is useful. The details of your experience, the specific facts and issues that are involved. I'm working on a rewrite of the system, and impressions like yours are useful. I figured I might also be able to point out fixes to things that might have caused problems, from my experience.

I do not think LotW is a perfect system, far from it. RAW it's fucked and that the book is edited awfully. But I also believe in the potential of the game to be more, and I've had such great experiences in it that working on my own version, or helping other people get past the problems in their own games, is something I find a lot of value in.

It's also dogshit, like all Xianxia. Chinese literature kind of sucks in general though.

>where everyone tries to force each other into being lawful stupid but thinks the law doesn't apply to themselves

pretty much sums it up

isekai webnovels

Xianxia/xuanhuan do waifus really well. No matter how powerful and strong they get, they're still feminine. I miss that in my western fantasy.
It's not perfect, characterisation is done poorly and there is usually no real character development, but that's just a problem with all the characters and the whole genre.

lol, that pic is super true

oh yes, classics like romance of the three kingdoms and journey to the west are all garbage

the irony of this is you probably think sword art online light novels are the pinnacle of good writing

Asking for details is also a pretty good way of telling if someone is just talking shit without actually knowing anything.

Do you have example? Apart from that one chinese manwha.

Jesus Christ my eyes. It's Veeky Forums on acid.

You should start your posts with this, then, because you come off like a shill.
And you've been working on this rewrite for like a year now - how's the progress?

>come off like a shill

For a game that's so dead the company literally imploded?

And slowly. It's not the primary project I'm working on at the moment, and I've been dealing with various other things, but it's moving onwards. Elemental Chi is still a sticking point.

I said only that you sound like one when you go on like that; and you've gone on like that many times in many threads.
But that's all beside the point: why don't you post what you've got and let us help out?

I'm just saying if any expression of sincere enthusiasm makes you assume someone is a shill, your standards for it might be oversensitive.

And honestly it's a fucking mess. Too many scattered notes. Although part of my new years bullshit is getting it properly written up and shareable, so we'll see how that goes.

Why do you refuse to acknowledge your post shortcomings? Virtually every time you sperg out you get called out by some user for your turbo autism - chill out, and post calmly, and people will stop calling you shill.
>too many scattered notes
Apply your sincere enthusiasm! Collate that shit right now! Post it!! You have a thread of people eager and waiting!!!