/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update- mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
Has your party ever had a mascot or raised something/someone together?

If neither what's the most fun you've had playing a class or character in general?

>Next session involves storming a castle
>I have no idea what to put inside the castle
Help

Soldiers

Suits of plate armor that can't be worn or removed from the castle

Who owns the castle?

Secret tunnels and trap doors.

A viking, but it formerly belonged to a baron, and he probably didn't do too much redecorating.

>Has your party ever had a mascot or raised something/someone together?
Everyone loved the Beast Master's bear, more than we liked the player

In the first time I DM'd LMOP the group fell in love with a chicken in the cart and a goblin named Kip that they captured, it was a pretty fun time. They kept trying to recruit everybody to join their adventure

A harem of nymphs

Have a few Vikings pretend to be injured knights.

Last session we captured a Kobold named Yipneg. Our Bard went invisible and snuck up behind him and picked him up, and his response was "I... I CAN FLY!!"
Little fucker's kind of adorable. We had to let him go (something about killing a goat) but if we can find him again we might adopt.

Does the castle have captives that could be useful to the party?

Maybe there could be a prisoner in the castle dungeon who kept keys to some locked and rigged treasure chests.

Consider having illusion traps placed around to really mess up your party. They'll see enemies that aren't there, try to go through fake doors, that kind of thing.

So... Lots of people wearing leather armor and tanned hide. I will hazard a guess and say the castle got overrun by said vikings and the PCs are being sent in to offer parley or straight up murderhobo their way through it.

In either case, most of it will probably be barbarians, generic fighters, and rangers of some kind. Maybe a Druid or two acting as medicine man/woman or a shaman role, potentially a War domain Cleric.

So... Lots of humanoid creatures with the Berserker stat line in MM (maybe reduce their HP by a bit if the party is still in the level 4-8 range), with one of the Berserkers given leader status as the viking leader (probably more HP or a magic weapon item), with one or two Druid stat lines in the MM. Scout stats in MM work fine for a viking ranger.

Alternatively, Tribal Warrior stats can work for cannon fodder and have the leader be a Berserker proper.

Armory, smithy, stables, kitchen, pantry, barracks, rooms for the royal household, art, banquet hall, throne room, rooms for the servants, a place were blood hounds for hunting are kept...

Is that inspiration enough? Or are you looking for more specific ideas?

Is there a difference between the Sun Sould Monk from Xanathar's Guide to Everything and from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide?

If you were to use any of the Ranged Archetypes in Xanathar's with the Revised Ranger, would you add Extra Attack to any of them or just leave them as is?

I've heard it's because AL has a rule that only allows PHB and one other book, but I don't know if that is the reason why

Ah pokemon master PCs are great...and a headache

There is no difference, AL has a PHB+1 rule so someone using XGtE can use those options...but not frigging bladesingers and battleragers

How do you pitch a campaign idea to players to see what they like? Do you even tell them anything, even? I've a bunch of ideas and I don't know where to start GMing, so I thought I'd ask them before I bust out the d4 to decide for me.

>Wanting bladesingers to be playable
Maybe if they fucking fix it

Just lay down an elevator pitch of each campaign and ask them to vote democratically on which one they'd prefer.

Try asking them

Ask them like a normal adult

What's wrong with it? I mostly just wanted all the SCAG stuff in Xanathar's

Thanks guys!

What do you have in mind?

Good start I'd say.

So start with the above. Ask yourself 'what did the vikings allow to fall apart'. Then figure out what they kept and what they might have re-purposed.

Add in 'what did the viking take the castle with' followed by 'why does he keep it and how does he pay for it'.

Then of course you add in whatever plot item that brought the party there in the first place.

Probably yes, because the PHB ranger has Extra Attack as class feature. UA moved Extra Attack into subclass because of Beastmaster who don't get it, i think...?

>I mostly just wanted all the SCAG stuff in Xanathar's

Yeah, but let's be honest, that would suck and is just a work around for their own rule - if they'd did it that way.

SCAG was a mistake

No problem

Better than EEPC

EEPC had the genasi so it's not all bad

What did you use to make that map user?

I don't like PHB+1 anyways...but I can see why they did it.

Yeah, I was just uncertain because Beast Master lacks it and all of the UA Ranger archetypes stipulate if they include Extra Attack. But you're right in that they are balanced for having Extra Attack. Thanks.

SCAG isn't all bad either. It has SCAG cantrips :^)

>Good start I'd say.

Ok, let's keep going then: The lord has a private wizard as a kind of special servant, that guy needs rooms, a library, a labratory. Is the lord also the law enforcement in that area? Have cells. You can expand on the barracks with training areas. A shitter - a very nice one. A study.

Yes, but how? Do you write up setting notes to share with them, or just throw a session zero and say "alright, so here's what I was thinking"?

I had two city-focused campaigns, one sandbox, and a courtroom-based oneshot. The oneshot is an Ace Attorney styled case where the party attempts to prove themselves innocent in a murder they are incriminated in. I'm really interested in this one because my character was a prosecutor so I'm going to have him face off against them in court, but I'm not sure if they'd care for courtroom drama. One of the city campaigns is focused on a desert city about to erupt in civil war, and the other is them tearing apart or cleaning up a city of poncy corrupt nobles and pimps that came from Mad World. The sandbox is an island of a homebrew race with a bunch of weird time fuckery going on there.

SCAG also had a bunch of neat lore for faerun

How do you keep in contact with your group? Just ask in a group message or whatever, "Hey, I'm collecting ideas for the next campaign, what would you guys like to explore?"

You just gotta go for it man, also that courtroom thing sounds fun as fuck.

Yes, word from Crawford himself is that when using Revised Ranger with subclasses from XGtE, just tack on Extra Attack at 5th level and ignore conclave features.
THAT SHITFUCKING CUNT GODDMAN DICKWAFFLE FUCKING DROPPING THE FINISHED REVISED RANGER MOTHER FUCKING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH

which is better on a revised ranger, gloom stalker or horizon walker, and what's the best fighting style on both?

The cantrips are the major reason why it's bad

Gloomstalker is more fun than Horizon Walker

>Play a revised ranger gloom stalker
>Don't get extra attack

Is Crawford history's greatest monster?

SCAG has Arcana Cleric, which I really enjoy.

Faerûn was a mistake.
Red Wizard of Thay port when?
kek

Hope you slept ok user

What's wrong with EEPC?
Races are mostly meh, but the spells are surprisingly fine, ain't they?

I am inclined to agree.

I didn't for unrelated reasons but the thought is appreciated

Reminder that it's GAY to restrict classes to some races.

As someone who played 3.5 for years, trust me when I say that it could be so much worse.

>What's wrong with EEPC?
Absorb Elements

I'd say Red or Black Dragons, can't mess with the classics

I will gaily do so next time i run campaign!

Do you think it is "stronger" or more broken than Shield? Seems pretty same-ish to me...?

What's the best fighting style for it?

Shield is one of the strongest spells in the game

Wait, are rangers bad? ;_;
I was gonna play one in my upcoming game

Don't worry about, you will be fine

Just don't pick Beast Master Conclave

Only beast master. There's a revised ranger but it's a bit too strong in my opinion.

Beastmaster is.

Also, the Natural Explorer (or how is it called) of PHB ranger is pretty unsatisfying (mostly because a lot of DMs tend to ignore that part of the game entirely).

As others said, really only beast master. Ask your DM if you can use the Revised Ranger Favored Enemy and Greater Favored Enemy class features cuz the PHB one is poo

this
Write out a short explanation for the setting of the game, as well as any gimmicks that might exist therein
Then read each one and vote.
If you have more than two options vote using numbers. have each player order each campaign numerically with lower numbers being the games they want to play most, then add up all the numbers on each game and play the one with the lowest score. It's the perfect voting system.

>Party mascot
He mostly belongs to the Bard, who activated him, but we have a robot built by the previous owner of our stronghold.

My party has a pet cat.

... DM hinted it might be some sort of death god.

lol epic

am i the only one that finds martials way more fun to come up characters for? im not sure why, but i got 5+ ideas for martial characters i want to play, but most of the time i'll have to brainstorm to come up with a caster that i actually want to play

Gotta pick between fun and viability when magic is involved

What are some good spells to take that scale well when upcast into the "empty" slots from multiclassing? I'm an EK/Wizard and so far I've got Charm Person, Blindness/Deafness, and Hold Person (can target more enemies), Magic Missile (to force concentration or death saves, mostly), and upcasting Abjuration spell will at least heal my ward quicker. Anything else that's particularly good when cast at a higher level?

What would a ranger who stalks the Shadowfell have for a greater favored enemy?

The cantrips are only OP with multiclass fuckery or Booming Blade with Mobile/Cunning Action. The only class with access that really belongs in melee is EK and the cantrips are fine for them.

Fireball

Shield is way more useful than Absorb Elements. You're way more likely to use it, and most of the time you use Absorb Elements the thing that attacked you is resistant or immune to the extra elemental damage you get on your next attack.

Revised Ranger is great (including the Revised Beast Master).
Archery is the best fighting style period. Dueling+shield is next-best for Ranger.

Well sure, damage scaling will always be good. What about other CC, utility, or buff spells though, like Fly or Dispel Magic?

utility kek
this nigga probably runs spells that aren't evocations

Fly definitely helps take the pressure off magic users in your party, along with dispel magic. Pretty much look at some utility spells that your party magic user casts a lot, if you can pick it up and make it so they don't have to use as many slots or as many higher level slots then it helps.

What's wrong with it?

Hold person

Other than Polymorph, Enlarge and Haste, what are some good spells to Twin at low levels?

What are the best damage spells to pick as a Sorcerer with Empowered Spell?

Our other party magic users are a Bard and a Cleric so there isn't a ton of overlap in utility besides Dispel Magic and Invisibility, as far as I've noticed.

Erupting Earth scales better than Fireball when cast at a higher level slot, so that's a good one to Empower.
>twinning
Levitate if you have multiple ranged PCs or are fighting multiple melee attackers.

So, I'm sorry for reasking this question, but you can still play clerics devoted to a philosophy rather than a deity in 5e?

Ask your DM

In AL? No

Yes but some spells and class features get a bit hard to explain

Every little bit can help, if either of them have to cast one less spell, or a lower level one at least, that means they have it free for a different one that could help elsewhere.

Awesome. Existential death cleric here I come.

Is it fair to allow a player with Dueling to get the +2 bonus while holding a versatile weapon in two hands? I mean it only brings the average damage up to the level of a Greatsword without GWF, so I can't see it breaking anything.

>Is it fair to allow a player with Dueling to get the +2 bonus while holding a versatile weapon in two hands?
Yes

Sure, wielding a regular sized sword by itself is already pretty weak

What sort of minions would a hag or witch have to defend her woods?

>hexblade extended spell list: Wrathful smite
Is there even one reason one would take this over hex? Hex moves between targets after the target dies, it does necrotic damage and you can impose a disadvantage on ability checks, and you can cast it on higher levels where as the smite stays on level 1.

Playing a level 3 hexblade glaive warlock. Variant human with PAM feat.

Stats are
8, 16, 17, 14, 14, 17

Wondering whether when I reach level 4 should I take an ASI or sentinel feat?
The DM has a habit of making enemies run away constantly when they get low, and it drags out combat a lot, so I was thinking of taking the feat to make it so he can't just have the villain run constantly.