/gengen/ Genesys General

Terrinoth Soon(tm) edition

>Realms of Terrinoth to be released Q2 2018
fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/9/realms-of-terrinoth/

>Player-made Genesys settings
pastebin.com/7knE7KSv

>Online Exstras
1drv.ms/b/s!AtRqt1GrxR67huIiSZ9_fVMOqVUdJA - Fillable Charecter sheet
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/329635601945067522/386612561115611137/genesys_setting_worksheet_fillable.pdf - Fillable Setting sheet
genesys.skyjedi.com/ - Online Dice Roller
drive.google.com/file/d/1qwkM0daKLi_yWPmoIgFCfb92oeJueFD3/view - Cheat sheet
sendspace.com/file/6b6bat - A PDF of something
docs.google.com/document/d/1K0BVQxmZTMn8XFovHPCjubK7H-qZDWRSC9QR_2E683I - Special Rules (From StarWars to Genesys)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qy33uMm1FqQJPD8W-p5aXM5XHNwsU4126JgJ91LsIfE/edit#gid=644202127 - Some new spells

>Discord Server
discord.gg/3vNJa6t

>FFG Community Forums
community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/527-genesys/

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1ghZG6QYrKniSORX6pqa2wGXh5e9ozYz4OuiE6x-vBuI/edit?usp=drivesdk
community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/227517-a-brief-overview-of-the-setting-for-those-new-to-terrinoth/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who /hype/ for Terrinoth which most people will probably just use for running in their own fantasy settings since the world doesn't seem particularly inspired?

whats a genesys

>love EotE and subsequently Genesys
>Veeky Forums has already made a Dark Heresy supplement

I love you Veeky Forums, I want you to know that.

>whats a Genesys
Fantasy Flight Games' generic system, based on their wildly popular Star Wars rpg which owes almost all of its popularity to the IP but the rules are nice too. The game uses a unique resolution mechanic where dice bear symbols for Success, Failure, Advantage, Threat, Triumph, and Despair, which combine to give all checks the potential to have both good and bad outcomes. As of now only the Genesys core book has been released; Realms of Terrinoth will be the first setting book, probably followed by one for Android, then books for other FFG properties.

I'm stoked.

Thank fucking god for new threads
I'm the Gundamfag (very slowly) working on a Genesys conversion and I've decided to write a custom critical hit chart for it. What's some other shit I can add to it besides 151+ being "reactor explodes, you die"? I already have head/limb loss and cockpit hits on the harder end of the scale.

Is Genesys good as a baby first RPG?

I think so, a lot of complaints about the dice come from people who are used to binary success-failure outcomes, and the rest of the rules are neither so crunch-heavy that they're hard to understand nor so crunch-lite that they require work from the players to fill anything in.

>knocked off balance/broken gyroscope
>optics malfunction
>overheating
Any of those can have temporary and permanent versions for lower or higher rolls.

Oooh. I like the "overheating" and "busted gyroscope" ones. I also intend on keeping a variant of Shrapnel Spray, only fluffing it as camera screens/control consoles being overloaded and spraying broken pieces across the cockpit. Thanks man.

What's the deal with it? Anyone care to give me th gist of Terrinoth, and why anyone would play it? It looks like really generic fantasy to me, complete with kind of obnoxious looking names

You got any VIP to look at?

No problem. Don't forget the obligatory "explode next turn" for the 141-150 range.

>It looks like really generic fantasy to me, complete with kind of obnoxious looking names
Your assessment is correct. It was created for board games so the fluff is extremely light; they'll have to add more information for the setting book (as far as I know the only currently-existing setting information is a few pages from the board game rule books) but I doubt it will be revolutionary. I'm sure the only reason they're releasing it before Android is so they can cash in on the "started playing D&D two months ago because I saw it on reddit/tumblr/Stranger Things" market.

Forgot about that one! So far I have:
>

Decapitation: The mobile suit’s entire head is blown or sliced off, forcing its pilot to rely on backup sensors. Increase the difficulty of all ranged attacks its pilot makes by one, and any weapons or equipment in there (such as head Vulcans) are immediately lost.

>

Direct Cockpit Hit: The attack penetrates the suit’s armour and harms the pilot inside. The pilot immediately suffers the effects of a Critical Injury roll made at +40, and is reduced to one wound should they survive.

And the finale:
>

Critical Reactor Failure: The mobile suit’s fusion reactor is compromised and it detonates in a brilliant fireball. Nothing is left of the suit or pilot but a scorched stain on the ground or ravaged scrap of metal. Anyone unlucky enough to be within Engaged range must make an appropriate Hard check to evade the blast in time, or else take 9 vehicle-scale damage.

VIP? You mean WIP, right?
Also ewww, SEEDmechs. This was written with UC in mind, I guess you could adapt it to other universes.

Just don't ask me to do it.

I meant WIP.
And don't judge, I just like SEED okay. So you have a WIP or not?

Here you go. docs.google.com/document/d/1ghZG6QYrKniSORX6pqa2wGXh5e9ozYz4OuiE6x-vBuI/edit?usp=drivesdk

Mobile suit stats might seem a bit wonky, I started work on this back when the only reference available was the Star Wars books. The less said about the fluff and NPC section, the better.
And I won't judge. Openly, at least.

It's certainly not a 100% original setting, but of the mire generic fantasy settings I find I enjoy it for the little things. The Uthuk are an interesting people, the Orcs aren't inherently evil and it has neat Lion people.

It reminds me more of old school Warcraft with a couple added twists.

Here's a thread with some fluff and background from when the Rune Wars game first launched.

community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/227517-a-brief-overview-of-the-setting-for-those-new-to-terrinoth/

Why start with this extremely generic fantasy setting instead of one of their flagships, like Netrunner? Doesn't help that two of their best IPs are off in their own dedicated lines (SW and L5R).

You bring the hope of actually playing a Mecha game with easy to use (yet advanced) combat rules. I thank you, kind stranger.

Thank you for seeing what I had in mind under all the shit. It's been a dream of mine to do a full gruntwank Zeonquest-esque UC Gundam campaign for years, and after getting to grips with Star Wars for years I figured Genesys was the perfect opportunity.

Zeon-era in all respects, I'll probably run it in one of the other settings, but each to their own. I see the appeal of the Zeon-setting stuff.

Motherfucking Char.

Hopefully my stuff lays enough groundwork for adapting to any alternate Gundam setting with a little work. One of my buddies is working on a Titanfall Genesys thing after I linked him to someone else's treatment, I stole the "Evade at any speed" from that one.

Titanfall Mechs do feel like Gundams on Earth but slightly slower so sure why not.

It's the first thing people expect from an RPG - maybe a little less so something generic like Genesys or GURPS, but it's still the go-to thing - you gotta be able to do a fantasy game, with your dragons, magic weapons and whatnot.

But yeah, unless there's a few dedicated Runewars fans, this isn't going to be the splat that gets much attention - FFG's got Arkham/Cthulhu, Android, and Twilight Imperium for that.

Still don't know why they split L5R from it though, other than maybe timing

>Still don't know why they split L5R from it though, other than maybe timing
Completely speculative, but I feel like they did it because they knew abandoning the d10s for a more narrative mechanic wasn’t going to sit well with everyone, so they made sure to keep the “roll and keep” fundamentals in the new edition so it has SOME semblance of what it was before. And Genesys doesn’t really seem to work with roll and keep mechanics.

Because Terrinoth is one of their flagships. Runebound, Descent, Runewars. It's also one if their original properties also, if I recall.

Thanks for getting the gengen running again user.

Was looking forward to the android setting first, but one needs to drain off D&D somehow.

I'm not very excited. I like Genesys (and the Star Was game subsequently) because actions and combat feel like an action movie, which is why I prefer to use it for my sci-fi games over a clunky and slow system like Starfinder, but I have a hard time getting into that action movie groove with mideval fantasy.

I want a Twilight Imperium sourcebook.

Me and my highschool buds used to play the hell out of Runebound, so it'd actually be a little nostalgic.
I'm mostly interested for any new rule bits that'll come along with it, though.

Live in Canada, the book is sold out nationwide. Once I get my copy I am going to hammer out my Stargate setting.

There’s a PDF. You should still buy it, but I’m just saying if you want to get a head start.

Oh I found a PDF of something early on. I just hate reading long sprawls of text on a screen.

Ill nut up soon enough.

Has anyone worked on a 40k conversion?

There was a good Dark Heresy one an user did

Check the pastebin, its the first or second link.

Hopefully it's nothing like Legacy of Dragonholt's introduction to Terrinoth

>Womyn run the show
>all men are racist
>the non racist ones are gay
>gnomes and orcs can get married
>gnomes and orcs can be in an interspecies lesbian relationship
>an epic quest involves wedding preparations.

That adventure book was so garbage. Shame. I love Runebound, Runewars, RuneAge and RuneWars Miniature game. They just went full retard for Legacy of Dragonholt.

Does it look like this game's vehicle combat is as hilariously dangerous as the FFG Star Wars dogfighting was?

Kinda sorta but not really maybe?
There’s some more defensive actions you can perform by default, and since you’re left to build vehicles and vehicle weapons exactly how YOU want them to be the vehicle combat will only be as dangerous as YOU make it.

That's rad as hell. Looking forward to when someone does the other games with the same level of quality.

God knows they're almost fucking impossible to play as they are.

Has the core book actually come out to stores, or do I have to order it online?

No, FFG expressly forbids anyone from selling Genesys books that isn't their online store under penalty of death. There's no possible way to get hold of one without contacting FFG's legal department and signing a contract stating that you are not nor related to a retailer or retail business and will never, ever sell or resell a copy of the Genesys core rulebook.

Guys.

I have a hunch.

Yeah, user put some real work into it. I'd be pretty happy if everyone else put as much love and effort into more Genesys setting conversions.

I've only just recently been introduced to this system. I've not sat down and read through the PDF in its entirety yet, but I've only ever heard good things about this system, so I'm interested to see what eggheands like you can do with it. The resources in the OP are also appreciated.

That fillable character sheet in the OP isn't there.

It removed the really clunky classes from the Star Wars FFG, which I am hype as shit about. The magic system is, in theory at least, very intuitive and rewards clever thinking.

>It removed the really clunky classes from the Star Wars FFG,
We need to update the links for the main post. Ill check on it this weekend.

>hates only good thing about seed
>uc mindset
I bet you also sieg zeon fag

You would think that there would be more too it considering that the setting has been around since the 90's. Though I wouldn't know as I have no experience with it beyond a couple of games of Runebound and Descent. I guess that making your own setting is half the fun of RPGs anyways.

>extraneous dogshit on mech designs makes it good
>implying UC isn't best setting
>also implying I'm a dirty Zeekfag
feddie 4 lyf

How many of the MS do you plan on stating? I don’t imagine you’d make a profile for everything (lord help us all of you did) but I’m curious how many you plan to.

This is definitely the one conversion I’m keeping an eye on

Runeboard and Descent 1e for us, I am very interested in this!

I have no idea. At the moment I'm sticking to standard grunt suits from 0079 and a little of 08th MS Team (currently working on the mass-production Guntank, that's going to be a surprise and a half), but I may eventually bring in the extra-shiny variants from 0080 and 0083 in a separate supplement. I pretty much have to: Rise From the Ashes was a huge inspiration to get me working on this thing.

Anything you particularly want to see?

IGLOO. I want a guntank that can run over Zakus without slowing down.

Fuck yeah, I can probably rip off the AT-TE's special collision rule for it too.

So there are only city-states and no big powers like the empire from warhammer fantasy?

Gimme the ReZEL, my nigga.

Aquatic MS would be neat. Just revise the idea of combat in space for battles underwater

I'm mostly focused on OYW stuff for the moment, sorry. As much as I love the entire UC I think the later stuff can probably wait for a bit. I'm not above stretching things to the early 0080s though (like how AoR's Stay on Target concievably lets you stretch your Star Wars games into early New Republic territory).

Well, since my statblocks are designed for use in both atmo and vacuum I dunno what really needs tweaking. But hey, feel free to throw ideas at me.

If my extremely rudimentary understanding of the setting is correct, there used to be a kingdom or empire there but it collapsed and now there are several independent cities.

Currently working on a JoJo's Bizarre adventure supp for this, would anyone be interested in seeing it? On another note, what do you guys think of how talents work in this game as opposed to EoE rules? I think they quite nice and might make some custom ones.

I'd be down. You have no idea how much people struggle to put together a working and coherent JoJo system and campaign.

The next sourcebook will be Android. The title will be In the Shadow of the Beanstalk or something like that

I'm always interested in seeing what people are doing with Genesys!

Alright cool, here is how it looks currently. I haven't spent a ton of time on it yet, so it looks quite bad right now and some rulings might not make sense. I feel I work best when I throw down the ideas first then constantly tweak them as I learn more. I need to add some effects for the Precision Stat, which will probably add some boosts or something similar to aiming. I also need to add Stand Types like the automatic Stand which will also add a benefit, like having near unlimited range for auto types, or close-range power types having attack rushes.

The idea is to use how magic works in Genesys to construct a Stand Power. When you make a Stand, you choose a Magic type and a single additional effect from it to create the Power.

Woops forgot to mention about the section talking about purchasing additional effects for the Power. I'm gonna have it set so that each time a character reaches a Tier 3 talent, they can automatically, and for free, purchase an additional effect for their Stand, up to the number of effects their Stat will allow.

>The next sourcebook will be Android.
Considering that's the only other sourcebook they've announced so far I think that's a safe bet.
>The title will be In the Shadow of the Beanstalk or something like that
That would be a great title desu

So what is this system capable of doing? What is the overall feel?

Currently, this system allows you to run whatever setting you want (for the most part), and assists you by providing the ways to add narrative. The dice are meant to add narrative to each action with their unique symbols and how they can clearly let players succeed with drawbacks or fail with a silver lining. Almost everything in the book is a suggestion with some concrete examples from each scenario, and it can be up to you to decide how it all plays out and how balanced the setting is. It will definitely feel off to those who look to a single die or look at each outcome as a simple pass/fail, and can be used to practice storytelling. Also, critical effects in this game are way more flexible and don't just mean whether something takes extra damage or not.

>an explosive gets lodged in your MS and may explode later
>your MS crumbles away to nothing for no reason

Oh damn, was waiting for this to come back since I saw it a while ago.

Hmm, for some criticals:

Maybe some rocket thruster malfunction in either the average or hard critical sections.

Another one I can think of is Power Flucuations from Star Wars, where you can't voluntary take any system strain until that critical hit is repaired.

Lowest one would probably be the mobile suit taking more strain, but it's still a critical hit that can stack.

I've actually been working on a Genesys conversion of a mecha property different from (though heavily inspired by) Gundam. One of my main goals is to keep the mecha rules as seamless with the vehicle rules as possible, but I too planned on giving mecha their own crit chart if anything.

I haven't gotten that far in my to do list yet, though. I'm still working on character stuff.

How well could Genesys be used to botch-cover the World of Darkness games? I'm playing with a group who are utterly incapable of reading the rulebook, and we just settle for throwing pools of d10 all over the place in order to keep the story flowing. It hurts my soul a little,but they enjoyed the Narrative die mechanic of Force and Destiny, which I understand is replicated in Genesys. I saw a lot of people had made fan-splats of a very broad scope. Would I be wasting my time if I tried to convert WoD to Genesys?

It's only a waste of time if YOU think it is. If you group wants to play WoD's setting with the dice mechanics of the SW games, then they'll certainly be happy.

I meant more "would the flow of the Die complement a World of Darkness game?" I found that when we played Force and Destiny the game felt pretty smooth and flowed well, but I wasn't sure if that was a contributing factor from the tone of the game, space adventure and all that. Horror in Genesys y/n? Is what I was asking in a roundabout way.

The core book has a whole section on doing horror. Honestly it sounds like your group will enjoy it more than Storyteller system WoD either way, so just do it.

Cheers user, I'll bring it up next time we meet.

What property is it? I'm curious.

If it's oWoD or nWoD 2e I'm inclined to blame the system for being shit.
If it's nWoD 1e I feel for you bro. But if your players can't even follow that maybe you should just do Fate or a checkers tournament or something, the base mechanic is so goddamn simple.

Jovian Chronicles, an RPG/Wargame from the 90s that was basically UC Gundam with the serial numbers filed off and injected with a lot more """""realism""""" despite giant robots, also colonization of the whole solar system from Mercury to Jupiter.
It originally appeared as a Mekton Zeta setting, but when the writers went solo as Dream Pod 9, the company who also made Heavy Gear, they took Jovian Chronicles with them and adapted it to their in-house system. Then it basically died some time in the late 90s/early 00s, but recently they're trying to revive the wargame with a new kickstarter and hopefully less retarded rules.

I'm basing things more on the Mekton iteration, known as the "green books" because their covers were mostly green (as opposed to the "white books" published by DP9, which pic related is), but also adding a bunch of shit from the "white books" because they added SO MUCH more detail to the setting. Also the white books have WAY better ship designs, though I personally think the green books have better mecha designs.

It's a bit of both. We used nWoD 1 for a bit, then God Machine happened and we upgraded and it all felt like it had too much crunch to facilitate a narrative style of play?

How is Genesys' system for magic? I get that it's a universal system, but would I be able to use it or jury rig it to represent the Vampire disciplines or Demon Embeds/Exploits?

Cool user. If you have a link to your work I can throw it into the pastebin

That's just it, GMC is a straight up downgrade. Just looking at the combat system should tell you this.

>How is Genesys' system for magic?
Pretty anemic, but does give a solid framework for making something better yourself.

If I want to do that I may as well use GURPS.

Meh, homebrewing in Genesys is cake.

Yes, but GURPS is autist shit.

Basic maths = autism.

ok

I’m actually really enjoying Runebound 3rd!

>basic maths

Take it to the GURPS fag containment thread.

Random question: what would need to be changed to port WFRP 3e into Genesys?
Just curious.

Minis, maps, tiles and other accessories when?

Is it good for urban fantasy?

for a generic system? Not any time soon. We will prob see some minor stuff with the source books release (like the adversary cards in EotE)

Would be nice. I'm a sucker for extra tools and stuff like this.

Genesys doesn't need grids or anything, do they? It's all narrative?