His party is poor

>his party is poor

>game starts
>enjoy the shopping simulator
>get to level 2 or 3
>can just buy everything and none of it matters

The only adventurers who aren't poor are crazy, stupid, or both. You don't go risking life and limb for treasure if you're already filthy rich.

>His party is rich
You’re paladin is really failing his oath of povery, mate.

>be the rich guy in my party
>"buy me X, please"
>tell player to fuck off
>he gets butt-blasted because i won't be his sugar daddy
>plot NPC appears
>i end up using some of my gold to help her
>now That player thinks i have double standards for helping a girl in need.

>my game is a grimdark underground survival game with a squad of dwarves
>we probably could have been rich if we got the gems to the surface
>too bad we can't find the surface and also ditched like 8/10ths of the gems we found
>just to carry more important shit
is pretty fun

What oath could you possibly be referencing......knights and clergy are all money grubbers

The shopping simulator is the only problem i have with giving my pc's lots of money, can be avoided by just moving the story to the sticks where there is nothing to buy.

Which is a major theme in my campaign: That there is difficulty in upholding solemn religious vows in the face of earthly temptation, and the so-what-isms that follow.

Also, Poverty != Destitution

That's partly why I left my first ever group. Fun bunch of guys but every third session we would come to a new town and that entire session was shopping. Dm never got the knack of making it fun.

Well, yes. The sorcerer has an antimoney field and can't turn it off. On the bright side, we can toss every asshole we meet below the poverty line.

I don't think Paladin's having an oath of poverty fits well with the shining knight archtype. They could get a ton of power and money but if they use it for stuff their divine sugar daddy likes everything is fine.

You’ve got a point, but I think of paladins as less of the “Knight in Shining Armor,” and more of a “Crusader Slaying Saracens.” I should’ve said Cleric, though.

Crusader's certainly didn't have a vow of poverty. Full knights kit, a big ass horse, armies transport to the Middle East, and whatever they managed to conquer meant those were some rich fuckers.

BACK IN MY DAY, etc

>A paladin may not possess more than 10 magical items. Furthermore, these may not exceed one suit of armor, one shield, four weapons (arrows and bolts are not counted), and four other magical items.
>A paladin never retains wealth. He may keep only enough treasure to support himself in a modest manner, pay his henchmen, men-at-arms, and servitors a reasonable rate, and to construct or maintain a small castle or keep (funds can be set aside for this purpose). All excess must be donated to the church or another worthy cause. This money can never be given to another player character or NPC controlled by a player.
>A paladin must tithe to whatever charitable, religious institution of lawful good alignment he serves. A tithe is 10% of the paladin's income, whether coins, jewels, magical items, wages, rewards, or taxes. It must be paid immediately.

The Knights Templar had vows of obedience, poverty, and chastity. Warrior-monks like them are a good representation of the kind of paladin he's going for.

Their order however was untaxable by papal decree and had a lot of wealth donated to it, so it eventually became a mere banking institution after the infrastructure to maintain their army outlasted their army, but that's little to do with the individual warrior type: you can have warrior monks without that bit.

fuck the tax man

How else is the paladin's church supposed to be able to heal the sick?
Insurance hasn't been invented yet and they're LG so they can't turn away someone who doesn't have coin.

You expect a washed-up boxer, a hedge wizard, a druid literally raised by wolves, and a half-feral catman to hold down steady jobs?

the church can do collections, small taxes on the people that reside in the area, CHARGE for their services, or call a crusade like any other religious group does when they need cash

Meanwhile the paladin is neck deep in making sure some asshole or dragon doesn't end the world and the church wants to take a cut of that. Fuck that shite

You don’t seem to understand how to paladin, man. Or how a tithe works.

10% tithe, hella low there, you might give tripple that to the Lord of a land in upkeep easily.

The church has collections and taxes but they don't want to ask too much from the already impoverished, while any serious healing costs in gold and the everyday man makes silver at best.
Again, they can charge, but outside of people of wealth few can afford to pay it up front.

Going to war because they're a few coins short on paying fees is a bit shit too.

The paladin is neck deep in saving the world, sure, but let's be honest, most adventurers just sit on unnecessarily huge amounts of coin without a plan for it anyway, asking for 10% isn't that much.

Getting too rich can be boring though,
Besides you need those situations where you are screwed out of the money with fake gems/coins, or you defeat at the mean guy oppressing the town who originally hired you to find some object that'd oppress them more and decide to give the townspeople the money. Or having to pay the lord/townspeople repair bills because your epic battle ruined swarths of the town and you are left with nothing but a shiny gold coin each.

Get your slayers on.

>fuck the tax man
>the church can do ... small taxes on the people that reside in the area

Pick 1 and only 1 my nigger.

At this point you should pay to decorate your gear. Fancy armor, ruby stones set in the pommel, phoenix feathers on the plume of a helmet, you get it.

Don't blame the party, user.

Blame the shit GM (me) who can't figure out how much treasure to give him.

...anyone have any advice on what the fuck I'm supposed to do for treasure rewards in 4e? I have a dumb and I don't understand the satchel table.

Like, is that what the entire party is supposed to have by the END of Level 1, and I just use one of each of those things?

>give several hundred of my character's own gold to a bunch of slaves we had freed so that they can actually make use of their newfound freedom
>the very next session the DM insinuates that my character is less worthy of having a Good alignment than the Warlock that has a pact with a demon, a demon enslaved to a magical item on his person, cast Suggestion on the party, actively fucks with the party's plans out of spite for other members, and was just sitting around making jokes about the slaves being poor while my character was giving them gold
>I didn't even know he was anywhere on the Good spectrum until that
>the reasoning was that my character generally gets more kills in combat or some shit which I don't even think is true

I'm not even a fucking Paladin. What is this suffering I have been cast into?

>now That player thinks i have double standards
Well, do you?

>MFW I'm currently playing a paladin with the oath of free commerce

Recette a slut

Delete this.

Makes sense.
Were those house rules or something in the book of what you were playing?

a SLUT

AD&D2e Paladin.
Since part of playing a paladin meant you were really lucky in stat-gen and the paladin class features more or less said your DM had to give you a holy weapon sooner or later, they had other restrictions too. That's also where the paladin is never allowed to knowingly work with evil people comes from.

>getting kills in combat
>evil
You have That GM on your hands my man.

>his party is willing to take any job no matter how dangerous or illegal that comes their way to survive during wartime
Literally the campaign I'm planning.

I strongly doubt that Recette is a slut. A slut would make you pay for her expenses. Recette would make you pay for her expenses and get a cut of that money too. While charging an hourly fee for the right to witness her cuteness. While also reminding you that she's doing you a favor by allowing this at all, and that she expects compensation sooner rather than later.

I like to think starting out poor as proper motivation to get loadsa emone. Then you can buy stupid shit.

>turning your whole party into gem-encrusted, precious metal plated peacock hussars

Interesting.
Yeah you had to roll really lucky to be able to play a paladin.

Not just high rolls but in rather close to the right order or just in the right order.

best newhus

I like this plot

just don't give em much money.
>okay you cleared the goblin den now you may loot their bones and crude pig iron weapons.
unless their quest goal is intrinsically something that is gonna net them a ton of money, there's no reason they should make much profit.
If the problem is that they're playing money-grubbing deal-seaking misers because they're trying to apply their limited funds frugally, then just limit what the shops carry.

It's a worthy goal for level 6

In our defense, it's the Dwarf's fault for having that damnable Steamjack. Coal ain't cheap, and he uses it for damn-near everything.

>Caring about anything but slaying goblins

>npc merchant convinces your party to invest in a system of currency with no clearinghouses and banks involved revolving around adventurers mining coins from doing math problems
>loses all their money as said currency becomes pure speculation

>ten years later the worth of said speculative currency skyrockets for seemingly no reason and can now buy a kingdom each.

It's THE ONLY worthy goal for level 6

If you keep 'em poor, you can keep 'em desperate. And if your players are desperate for cash, all you have to do to get them to follow the plot is add in 'reward: absurd amount of cash'. And then you can take it away because of collateral damage/taxes/the job got cancelled/whatever.