/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Viva not Napoleon! edition.

I think we need to update the pastebin sometime.

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Ghost Archipelago, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, Beyond the Gates of Antares, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread:
→ #

Other urls found in this thread:

moonrakerminiatures.com/savages.htm
us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/konflikt-47/products/konflikt-47-resurgence-book
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You could look into the mantic infected zombie soldiers from Deadzone/Warpath

Hey awg what do you think of the game de jour?

Dude, gay biker rubber ducky is so OP.

Still more interesting than age of sigmar

>nail-polish
>weed grinder

Degenerate/10

It’s fun but terrible for my arthritis and doesn’t have much space for my dudes

So the more I'm exposed to the tell-tale Batman series the more I want models in BMG based on those designs.

I'm watching the Enemy Within and I'm really digging some of the rogue gallery designs.

Also I still want my Gotham by Gaslight Batman miniature. I'm still hunting eBay for a decently priced Azbats in the U.S.

Yeah, playing any wargame on the floor is a disaster for my back and knees.

Gotham by Gaslight would be great, but personally I want Leatherwing cause pirate Batman is awesome

Semi related, got my new Gordon today and they're damn nice sculpts, but the mold slips on some of them were fucking awful. Easily fixed, but still awful. Really looking forward to trying out them and the new Flash though, love how I can run a DCEU themed list with some variation in free agents/sidekicks now

And I thought I was the oldfag

Not even an oldfag. I just can't take that stress on my back. I have similar trouble using a bench when cooking, or eating at a regular table.

Being tall is a curse.

>That feel when the idea of post-apoc wargamong was boring to me
>Now I want nothing more then to play Tnt but chose to play a historical game with a friend even bought a couple rulebooks for it when I wasn't into TnT

Fuck my ADD when it comes to wargaming.

Just build a few things in between painting Prussians or whatever you play. Painting a mutant between roman formations brings nice variety.

I think I'll do that. Nice change of pace between painting eastern front Germans for battlegroup.

OK /awg/
Can you advise a rules set which would do generic skirmish well?

>I have a bunch of 28mm wwii stuff
>My chum has infinity
>All the rest have 40K because 40K

Something skirmish level would be preferred
Any ideas?

>tfw always a 40kid growing up
>these days I love fantasy of all sorts
>drawers full of Plasma guns and stuff I will never use, instead of years of cheap LotR minis and hand weapons

;_;

Maybe give Tomorrow's War a try? Platoon level skirmish, units have variable tech levels depending on how you choose to stat your force, scenario driven gameplay. There's also No Limits for generic sci fi, another game that lets you build your own units and factions, d10 based, alternating activation turn sequence and individual model actions(like warzone). Both are very Your Dudes sorts of games so if you and your mates are keen for that sort of thing check those out.

Just ordered heatwave and captain cold for batman. I think I will use them as alternatives to harley and catwoman in my sirens crew sometimes. Once new swamp thing is out cold, heatwave and swampy will kick out the girls to form the central city casanovas! Their name may need work.

License wise we know they have the bale movies, the snyder shit, adam west, the arkham games, cw shows and all the comics. They could probably get the telltale designs but I doubt the existing license covers it, since the telltale game wasnt in production when they originally did their license. Main thing they dont have is the batman films prior to the bale ones.

Fucking this. Initially I just picked up some used Rangers to use in my WHFB army. I wish I paid attention to how cool this system was back then.

Flying lead and Black Ops.

Earth, Breeze and Fire?

>tfw nobody will ever play this with you
>tfw in the face of all the big name wargames, Osprey's stuff is always doomed to collecting dust
>tfw you will forever be met with blank stares when you start mentioning names like Nuada Silverarm or Claimh Solas

Just build 2 forces and some nice terrain for the game.

Yeah, Gaslight is one of my favorite designs.

Of course knowing my luck it'd be like Azbats and be a web store exclusive and thus cost damn near $40 to get here in the States.

>got new Gordon
Are you in the U.S.? I've had one on pre-order from a LGS and I've been waiting to hear from them about mine.

But all those plasma guns! You havd bits forever now! That's part of the value according to GW shills: having a ton of extra shit taking up space.

That's true. It'd be nice if they could.

>no movies pre-Bale trilogy
But...we need best batsuit.

bump

This applies to me and I'm 22

Since the thread is running slow I might as well post an /awg/ wip. More desert goblins. These are more elite ranger kind of guys. With them I'll have a whole warband for sobh finished.

>>tfw in the face of all the big name wargames, Osprey's stuff is always doomed to collecting dust
maybe if any of their games were actually good this wouldn't happen

Haha, yep, me too. Mild activity and above average height=can’t play on the floor comfortably.

Could try one of the Nordic Weasel sets, they’re cheap and easy for whatever you have lying about.

Nice, I'm digging the purple!

Do you guys have a scan of Konflikt ‘47 2e?

you should prime models before painting them

Primer is white. Their skin is just grey. Is just the base color (and a wash on the guy in the front). I also don't put too much effort into these guys. It's just a side project to gather energy to return to my AoS Bone/Zombie zone. My goal is 120/120 of skeletons and zombies. It's pretty exhausting, because there is zero creativity involved in painting them.

Does anyone have the hard copy of Song of Blades and Heroes from lulu? I'm not expecting much for £8 just hoping it'll stand up to general use.

Look into hsg

Is that the red one? I got that one, it's fine for the price of a meal.

There are some new renders of the upcoming Vanguard models. Sad that there is nothing for the half elf berserkers yet.

They sent me here

Truly an underappreciated game

I just got a starter army myself and I hope I can eventually find an actual game

Anyone know where to find more random terrain generation tables like these? This one works well enough for fantasy but something for urban and scifi would be handy.

Just write some.

pretty sure the 40k BRB had that too.
Maybe not all editions but some at least. Pretty sure the 3rd edition one had one.
And I would be surprised if RT didn't have that as well. They had a pretty comprehensive mission generator at least.

Rogue Stars also has a scenario generator like that.

their saving grace is that they're cheap enough to fuck around with without a major investment. I've had enough enjoyable games of ronin and in her majesty's name to consider the $10 a piece well spent.

Nice! Are those yours?

I imagine that /hwg/ wouldn't want Konflikt. He'll, I remember the last time I asked about Bolt Action I got berated by some guy because I misunderstood something.

The Rogue Stars generator is great. There's a bit in the 40k 6th ed rulebook too. Not a lot but it'll work well enough. Thanks.

Cold and Heatwave are an absolute blast together, I personally am buying them (and Reverse Flash) as the core of a Rogues themed crew with Squad Boomerang. Running it as a Freeze crew, with prisoners and Flash/non-Gotham villains only so it's a bit of a handicap, but not too bad (Black Manta, Deathstroke and Deadshot are all likely to appear at some point cause I love the characters)

I'm in Australia, I just happened to be dropping in to the regional supplier a half hour after the new box arrived. They actually opened it up just for me, a mate picked up my Flash though cause it was at the bottom of the box and they had to put it all in the system

They are, except for the ones that aren't

The one in the mega is the old one?
I thought there was only 1 core.

Hey, /awg/ - I'm looking for a warhammer-like (or any fantasy, really) builder/defense tabletop game (board, RPG or wargame) to steal and/or modify, so I can generate battle/skirmish scenarios for my next whfb campaign.

The general idea is:
You're a newly-minted local Baron (in Empire or otherwise) in control of a city and surrounding area, and your job is to keep your fief nice an prosperous even though:
There are Dwarves/Greenskins/Skaven in the mountains you get the ore for forging your equipment from,
There are Beastmen/Wood Elves in the woods you get your firewood and game from,
Dark Elves/Warriors of Chaos are prone to visit if you're near the sea.
Shit like that - anything that gets you money (to pay your troops) or some improvement also brings some kind of shit along with it to keep the balance.

BMP-1
(can't think of a fantasy version right now)

This. I'm sure some of them are good but I'm sick to death of osprey publishing crappy and blatantly unfinished rule sets.

There is a tower defence like 2 player boardgame, where one is an orc invader and the other one defends the castle. Ask /bgg/.

I love these models.

>I'm in Australia
Damn. I really want my stuff. Of course then I need to buy more to make a playable gang. And then there's the Organized Crime stuff I want, and the Penguin stuff, and all the different Free Agents and sidekicks and oh god it just never ends does it?

Anyone played Pig Wars, cards or dice? Systems seems juuuust deep enough to homebrew a bit and go.

That's how it starts, me personally I own almost everything for Brave and the Bold, have a little bit of Squad and I'm starting a Rogues crew in a couple of weeks. The benefit of a lot of the free agents though is you can use them in multiple crews, and you accidentally start the DCU game as well. For that I've only ever bought one box (the Trinity) but I own almost 200 points worth of models for it just by buying Batman stuff (it's a great game too, really fun and different to Batman in how it plays)

Yeah, the free agents being available across multiple crews is nice.

I have no interest in the DCU game. Part of the appeal for me in BMG is that I can play regular schmucks like the GCPD, or the mob.

You guys know of any good skirmish-or-so grid/hex-based wargames?

I know of Deadzone which is a great example, as it uses grid-based movement but then free movement within a grid, and I believe Dust Tactics uses grids, but do you guys know of any others?
AFAIK Deadzone is heavily imbalanced or has some problems and Mantic basically ignores everything not KoW, and I dunno much about Dust.

But if I could get something like Infinity or This is Not a Test but using grids, that'd be awesome.

I expect LaBambaMan to jump in here at any time, but isn't MERCs kind of sorta grid adjacent?
Or am I mixing that up with something else cause you can play it on 2d scenery?

Back in the olden days there was a grid based conversion for 2nd edition 40k to play on the Judge Dredd Citi Block scenery. Maybe not super helpful, but technically 2nd edition 40k was kind of skirmish sized.

BattleTech is hex based as well. Not really a light skirmish experience either though. And from what I gather hardly anybody plays it these days with actual miniatures anymore.
They were planning on releasing a new starter set, but I have my doubts about when those plans are gonna come to fruition.

There is a game by the same guys that do MERCs based on Banner Saga. Banner Saga had a grid based combat system in the video game, pretty sure they carried that over into the boardgame, but my interest in that was limited since I didn't enjoy the videogame either.
Beautiful setting and possibly interesting story, but abysmal gameplay. Imo of course.

I'm inclined to point out dungeon crawlers in general since the whole dungeon tile thing lends itself to grid based gameplay. Can't really make any specific recommendations as I'm more into regular wargames.
But doesn't Mantic also have a handful of dungeon crawlers? I was under the impression those are grid based.

And games like Blood Bowl or Guild Ball would qualify too I guess.

That's fair, it's a very different appeal to BMG both theme and gameplay wise. When it comes to BMG I'm enjoying playing themed lists more and more, like a Knightfall only list or Gordon and cops, although there's certain things I just enjoy playing that's a bit less themed (happy families with Damo, Talia and Batman, some of the League members teaming up with the Bat)

Heroscape if you don't mind dead games. There's also Shadespire if you can bring yourself to support something tied to AoS. I've heard it's solid, but the warband choice leave me rather cold.

It's old and probably harder to find now, bit FRAG was a great boardgame if you wanted a tabletop Unreal Tournament.

Real shame Endless Fantasy Tactics is gone. Grid based, old school Final Fantasy Tactics styled combat with lots of nods to retro JRPGs. And it was damn fun. Makes me wonder if someone will buy the IP and continue it.

> Mantic basically ignores everything not KoW
Not sure where you're vettinv that from. This year is a big push with Dreadball 2nd edition (which uses a hex map) and a whole new book for Deadzone coming out along with a new faction.

Does KoW get more attention? Sure, but it's their bigger seller so they tend to pump a little more of their time into it. I've never felt like they blatantly ignore Deadzone, though.

MERCS uses card templates for movement and ranges (although 2nd edition introduced rules for a regular tape measure), so no grids.

Could also check out Imperial Assault's skirmish mode if you want grid based Star Wars.

Yeah, themed lists are a draw for me, too. I want to own all the GCPD models so I can try all sorts of different lists.

>Knightfall only list
So Azbats, Gordon, Tim Robin and Nightwing? Would that even be possible?

At the moment I'm playing Azbat, Catwoman and cops, but it's possible to swap in Nightwing, Gordon or Tim. All the GCPD is a pretty valid option, my next list is Gordon, Nightwing and then only cops, but you can do a stack of variations on the basic idea. With the amount of cops there are, and the different leaders they have, you can play enough versions of the GCPD by itself to have some solid lists. They do lack a heavy hitter, but you can add any number of characters in to make up for that

Yeah, justvstocking with HCPD theme you've got plenty of options for leaders. 2 different Gordons, Loeb, Branden and Cash.

And henchmen? Man that list goes on seemingly forever. All the SWAT guys, QRT, the regular street cops, Arkham guards.

Honestly Brave and the Bold and Organized Crime offer the most variety in model choices. Part of what drew me to them.

Hmm, alright.
Not a ton of options that match too well but a few things that get close.
Thanks.

>> Mantic basically ignores everything not KoW
>Not sure where you're vettinv that from
Have you seen their forums?
They have basically nobody on the DZ or WP forums answering any questions or providing any support, there's no official FAQ document anywhere...

Warpath went nowhere and the Deadzone 2nd Edition didn't hit it off either, so it's no surprise.
The thing holding those games back though is sculpt qualty. They vastly improved their sculpts for the new wave of KoW, Warpath still has dumpster tier everything.

Well now for some reason I kinda regret to pay for a box of that Walking dead game from mantic.

I bought a box of the terrain for that, the cars, barricades and scatter are nice. Might pick up another box sometime soon.

I don't know about the terrain but I was into the game because as someone here said TWD game was like a skirmish between human players and a never ending wall that constantly pushes you towards a painful death

>Warpath still has dumpster tier everything.

No, I tend to avoid official forums.

I do follow the KoW and Deadzone Fanatics groups on Facebook and Mantic seem fairly active in both of those (at least the rules people are).

But to say they blatantly ignore it is a bit misleading. Do they invest more into KoW? Yes, because as I said previously it is their biggest seller. But they are pushing Deadzone and Dreadball this year pretty hard.

>Deadzone 2nd Edition didn't hit it off
I think the biggest issue was lack of options. Not all the models were available for some factions (Asterians being the biggest offender) and some factions people wanted just weren't in the game (GCPS saw good sales when they release because people wanted them).

I'm hoping the new book will fix a lot of that, and by adding a new faction that should give people more options.

>Warpath still has dumpster tier everything.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

So a buddy of mine wanta to play BMG, but he's between jobs and having a rough go finding drcent paying work.

I though maybe I'd be nice and grab him the Mr. Freeze starter since that was who he expressed interest in playing, and now having looked at Knight's website I'm totally lost.

There are two? They have the same Freeze and share one henchman, but then the other two henchmen are different? The new resin one has the two that had previously been a blister (one gun and shovel-man) while the old starter had the guy with thr hockey stick. Is there no way to get the henchmen from that metal starter separate? Why Would They chance who comes in the set?

I mean, the fuck is going on here?

Ahh Knight Model.

There are two starter, a more expensive metal one and the new resin repack.
You are correct, for the most part the stats all the henchman are the same as of the old.
The new set is a combination of the freeze and one henchman of the starter and of the old blister (also metal).

It is also be the mentioned that the new set while having the same models are not exactly a copy, there are some minor changes and the names are different.
Because of this one will be able to both run the new starter set and the old together (which is stupid as fuck).

Just get the new starter and hope for a release.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Just seems weird.

Granted, Enforcers and Plague have some nice sculpts.

DZ 2nd ed. was just a bad release all around. On top of the model issues you mentioned (Asterians didn't even get all their options until the Warpath KS), the rulebook was a mess, and the rules had issues. Each force list was written by someone else (I can't confirm, but they looked like they were) and weren't balanced well. Veer-myn had an issue where they wanted certain models to take certain wrapons, but instead just saying they were limited to just that weapon, they baked the cost into the model. So taking the intended weapon was fine, but trying to give them anything else was over-priced. And I can't remember which comparison it was, but the 3rd gen Plague was just straight up better than the basic of one of the other factions, same cost and same stats, except the 3rd gen was faster.

It's more /awg/ than /bgg/ - my Mythic Battles kickstarter arrived and holy fuck it's a lot of minis

So I've started painting. A Spartan and a very un-thicc Amazon done. The game itself seems pretty rad, a nice zone-based skirmish game.

Plus you get a good few warbands/OGAM forces from the box.

It is weird, but personally I'd grab the metal starter so there's more options for expansion later. You could buy the henchman set with it and run 5 Snowys, or the new starter and have 6 henchmen options, or both and be able to run 8. Captain Cold or Killer Frost are both good options as well to stick in theme, but outside of that you have pretty much all the usual suspects

God damn it I'm retarded.
I can't seem to actually find any generic apunkalypse style raider models even though it seems like they should be everywhere.
Anybody got any companies to recommend.

moonrakerminiatures.com/savages.htm

Oh neat.
So are those originally made by Moonraker or some other company because I think I've seen them before elsewhere.
I'd like to support the original producers if at all possible.

Moonraker is kind of a second website for em4

Well and that's part of the goal with the new book: have all thr lists with all the eratta in one place.

Well he has Captain Cold and Heatwave already because he likes whichever show they're from, but I figured I could grab him a starter and get us one step closer to playing.

I found the metal starter on eBay, but I don't know if he's prefer that and then have to get the henchmen bliater to get the other two guys in metal or have the resin starter and maybe hunt the metal one down later to get the other two henchmen that only come in that one.

Would anybody happen to have any of the pdf Dungeon Saga expansion books please? Even the journal would be amazing! I'm looking to get the game but I kinda like having the books on the iPad. Cheers in advance.

I’m so glad to find a uk supplier for those. I got mine from mirliton and suffered so much with extra charges.

Forge Fathers, Veer-myn, and the new GCPS are good, basically anything that's hard plastic is pretty decent.

us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/konflikt-47/products/konflikt-47-resurgence-book

Previous book seems to still be in use, but this updates to 2e and has extra rules and units, as well as Finns and Japa.

So I was thinking about getting into Warzone, and picking up the Brotherhood Starter box. Is there anything I should know about, or any tips for army building?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want some more melee focused units Mortificators, Valks and Sacred Warriors are solid additions. If you want more ranged power another box of Troopers or a box of Inquisitors is a gpod choice. Also a second Judicator for some extra firepower.

I also suggest grabbing Laura because she's a solid leader and lets you take Valks as troops if I recall.

Brotherhood tend to be smaller forces from my experience because of the extra cost involved in taking Art powers. But those powers can be wonderful to have.

So under my budget (and taste of units), would this be fine to start out with

Lord inquisitor Hamilkar

x5 Troopers with Inquisitor

x5 Troopers with Inquisitor

x10 Mortificators (love the look of these guys specifically)

X1 Judicator

Maybe additions

x5 Troopers and Inquisitor

x2 Inquisitor

Would this be enough for smaller level games, at the very least not to get stomped into the dirt? Considering I can't even take the mech until 500 point it seems, and that's not even factoring in power costs which I seem to be a little fuzzy about.

Almost forgot to ask, when adding on the Brotherhood Art powers is the point cost added to the squad total or is it, for example, 10 pts per model?

Looks fairly solid to me. A Brotherhood expert might have some other advice for you.

Just remember that Mortificators are not frontal assault troops. They need to sneak in without getting shit to shit because they aren't well armored if I remember.

Art powers are added to the cost of the unit. Only the unit leader can use them, unless they changed that or it says otherwise for the unit (Inquisitors for example can all take powers).

Thank ya kindly!

Mu pleasure. Always nice to see folks talking about Warzone.

Cold and Heatwave both make great additions and you could even make a more Rogues focused crew with them like I'm doing because I'm a shameless Rogues fanboy

Looking at points costs, either starter plus Cold and Heatwave comes out to just under 300 rep and $1500 funding, so not fully legal until you fill the rep to 350, but still perfectly usable for a starter game to learn mechanics.

I'd recommend any of the prisoner sets to add to the resin set, that'll get the most well rounded crew, but especially the resin prisoners. High Security adds a threat to take the heat off your main crew, and a way to add damage on early, the carbine prisoner is amazing in general and the other 2 are still super great. Pic related is what I'd play with buying the resin Freeze and prisoners, giving a decent well rounded crew with not many purchases

The only problem there is you're over spending by $300.

I thought the same thing, though: grab him the resin starter and then let him figure it out from there, but the prisoners would be a solid choice.

That is true, fuck. Not sure how I'd do it then with just those 2 boxes, maybe drop Freezy or Coldy for Tyrone from the prisoner set (whichever one doesn't have the template, triple template in that list is ball busting)

Looking at it the best thing I can come up with is dropping either Coldy or Freezy and just being short on rep. I thought maybe dropping Heatwave to get all of Freeze's guys from the starter but even that with High Srcurity, punchy and carbine prisoners leaves you woefully under in rep (it comes to 305).

I think Captain Cold and Heatwave eat up a lot of that value, and Freeze's guys ain't cheap either.

Obviously he may buy something else to expand his gang, so this is a lot of speculation. If he has both Freeze starters then that comes to 202/$1000 justbusing the models in those starters.

bump