Nemesis edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update- mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/: What do you think about nemeses for your characters? Do you give them one, according to their backstory, or maybe give them one as a party? How about reccurring villains that are not the BBEG?

Other urls found in this thread:

theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I give the PCs nemisis over the course of a campaign

So has wotc stopped being retarded and started selling pdfs of their books yet?

Doesn't seem like it. Maybe they're afraid it'll make them easier to pirate or whatever, which is a ridiculous concern as they're already pirated.

There, there. You can stop your incessant whining and sniffling. You can calm your massive man tits.

what the hell are you going on about?

Back to your thread, shillman.

>What do you think about nemeses for your characters? Do you give them one, according to their backstory, or maybe give them one as a party? How about reccurring villains that are not the BBEG?

I think having a good foil to the party is a good thing. I've always had plans for a non-evil, rival adventuring party to make an appearance, but the opportunity to use the idea hasn't come up in my games yet.

The OP is a literally autistic crybaby. I'm not the opp of the last thread but I find it immensely laughable and petty and extremely and disgustingly autistic.

>The OP is a literally autistic crybaby
Uhh...you're the only one pitching a fit here, user.

He's baiting. Don't bite the bait.

but I'm hungry!

Go into the other threads where this op is being a whining autistic crybaby and mistaking me for who the fuck is Shad. It's goddamn laughable and goddamn laughably sad.

so instead of leaving it in the other thread, you decided to spread your autism here?

I'm just gonna resummon it with Find Steed and you know it.

Like this op did and like you're doing. The sheer indiginity!

you realize you're not even making sense, anymore. Right?

God dammit user.

To bring it back to the actual thread question: I'm fine with reoccuring villains as long as they actually are things that matter to the PC's, and that they make sense. Someone that they continually brush up against or have friction with lends itself to the narrative; but if they don't CARE it's pointless - similarly if you start comicing them so that they just keep popping up willy-nilly after they are repeatedly dealt with.

Shadman, get the fuck out!

you seem to be confused. Shad is the other guy.

I got a couple replies last thread, but what are some good Wizard list spells for upcasting into "empty" higher-level slots for a multiclass character? So far there was:
>anything direct damage. Erupting Earth scales better than Fireball.
>Hold Person, Blind/Deaf as debuffs
>Invisibility, Fly as buffs/utility
>Dispel Magic, Counterspell

I asked last thread and didn't get an answer, is pact of the blade ever good on a non-hexblade?

Get the fuck out of this thread, Shad.
We need to start a new thread, guys. The cancer is already here.

It needs to be turned from 'AC tank archer that's also better at grapples than most casters' to 'gish'.

Jesus fuck nigga no, just use up this thread and ignore the other one if your so salty.

Fuck Shad, don't peddle your devil wares, you fucking deviant fuck.

It's a retard trying (and failing) to be amusing.

Eh. It's ... Eh. Basically look at it this way: Warlocks are most optimal when they are eldritch blast turrets. Pact of the Blade does NOT stop you from doing that what so ever; but it encourages people to try a play style that is not "be an Eldritch Blast turret". Tome is generally viewed to be the strongest because of Tome of Ancient Secrets, which allows you to pickup rituals and cantrips that help out your severely limited casting pool. Chain has some insane non-combat ability via invisible helpers and all of that. Blade just .. Doesn't have a lot going for it, in and of itself.

XGE helped out by giving more invocations and such that can help give your blade pact warlock a bit more bite, but at the end of the day, hexblades are by far the strongest for a melee warlock, because they give you better use of armor, and allow you to key off of CHA instead of STR/DEX, reducing your MAD need.

So you can absolutely make a serviceable blade pact warlock that's non hexblade. Hexblades are just THE optimal choice for allowing you to get more in melee; but if you have access to XGE, you should be doing alright.

If you want to make a fighty non hexblade warlock, I would suggest starting off a level or two in fighter first, and then going warlock from there. That way you can get heavy armor. Otherwise treat it as "my warlock can use a sword, but it's more of an 'he has more options to draw from, then it being his main resort'."

Ive been thinking about player death a lot. Basically, in DnD 5e its really really unfun. You spend 2-5 turns bleeding out and then youre done. For some games this might work, but for most it doesnt.

I’ gming a game, and im thinking about a “final sacrifice” turnshould be allowed, where after its confirmed that youre dying you get one final action. You regain all daily spells/abilities, and every action you do is an automatic 20.

Thoughts? Its OP obviously, but thats the point.

It's good for a rogue multiclass.

What's a good multiclass for a Kensei monk?

That's what I thought. I've always gone tome but I was thinking about possibly having a chain fiendlock, any build advice?

When you're on the ground, literally any healing action taken on you pops you right back up. 1HP brings you back to full fighting potential.

A few subclasses can pop right back up after they go down. A thief in your group with a medical kit can bonus action your ass back to life. Some archetypes have a really fucking hard time even bleeding out, like Brute.

It's fine.

See

>Being a kensei monk
>The champion archetype of monk
>then trying to fucking multiclass it
I bet you're fun at parties

is there a way to fix magically gained flaws? i got the 'power at any cost' flaw from the frost staff in strahd, but my DM is making me play it very compulsory like a curse and saying i'm pretty much going to take as many dark gifts as I can.

another out is also the staff affects the first person who touched it and I'm not the first one who touched it.

Well, it's meant to be that way, and I think it's rather balanced, what with many possibilities for resurrection, actually being able to bring yourself back to stability solely by a few good rolls and so on and so forth.

I started playing one because me and my DM wanted to see how it worked, but holy shit is it boring.

>DM saying because you took one you're going to be forced to take others
Tell him to stop being a faggot or just hand over your sheet and say you'll make a new character and he can have this NPC.

My players are in a tower about to head up into a spaceship that is nestled in its apex, they'll encounter doppelgangers of lost relatives, xenomorph aliens and elder things and have to destroy a Dead Space marker.
Doing so will collapse the spaceship and tower, but they can flee through a portal (like the ones in Bioshock Infinite) to a cabaret in a variant Paris, there they'll encounter ghouls and eventually will have to end up in a destroyed Eiffel Tower and need to destroy a second Marker.
Wish them luck.

How's your campaign going?

have you tried sucking your DM off?

Congratulations you're playing in Ravenloft. Shitty things can and will happen to your character. That being said, talk to your GM about it.

There's a pretty interesting optional rule that someone came up with called Fighting Spirit that essentially puts one more small step between "fully active" and "dying with no input" that puts you almost entirely on the defensive.

theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/

It's kind of a long read but an interesting one.

What is there to see about how it works? You just fucking hit things.

Monks are generally bad at multiclassing. For a non-kensei fighter1/monkX can be a good multiclass for the low-mid levels to basically become a fighter that stuns but at high levels it's just a slightly weaker monk.

Im running Tomb of Annihilation. So no ressurection is allowed.

Just to be clear, im talking about after all three failed death saves are done. Youre going to die at this point. I figure this is a way of making it into not such a shitty thing.

That sounds pretty awesome my dude.
I'm currently GMing LMoP and 3/5 of my players bailed on me today. So not that well.

Death is supposed to be a shitty thing, especially in a campaign where it is final.

We use a "life pool". Basically negative HP equal to half your HP. Life HP loss is regained via level up or expensive/rare potions.

Honestly, I feel like the players might need to just suck it up. They are playing an essentially high risk/high lethality campaign, they need to watch their back, think ahead, and cover each other. Why are they not being healed after 2-5 turns?

The ability to go super saiyan for a round just seems .. Kind of wonky. As far as I'm concerned, it just means that the enemies should be actively prioritizing *killing* them then, not just leaving them around bleeding.

Remember, they can also use their Inspiration point to reroll a death save. Get them using that, and get them RPing to get those back.

If you're super bothered by it, give them magical items to mitigate it. Something that can automatically heal them a bit once a day, or something that can automatically stabilize them or something. But remember, it's ToA, characters dying is expected.

Rather than something so extreme, the simplest and easiest fix is to use your max HP as a secondary HP pool, recovering max HP on a long rest. When max HP hits 0 you obviously die. But you don't fall down and become unable to take turns and all of that shit.
You could also just have some rule that lets people not go down, noting that if they don't go down monsterse can and will just attack them until they outright die.

I've always thought that a last stand type system would be cool. Where a PC can choose to die with no regrets and enter an uber state of sorts (baromere?). A PC that dies in this state cannot be rezed as they have given their life and feel fulfilled.

Whoops, didn't link to the original post properly

The whole max HP thing is sort of a simplified less convoluted version of fighting spirit, which in itself was kind of a weird sort of version of vitality or whatever.
Fighting spirit was a neat idea but has too much going on for it and too many workarounds like 'well I'll just throw out save spells now' - shit like losing max HP actually encourages you to go on the defensive anyway.

What the actual fuck.

IIRC there was a couple of homebrews about limit breaks and last stand spells that do that at the cost of no resurrections.

Should have explained that no unconscious state exists with life hp. You can continue to fight or run, it does get rid of the yoyo effect of small heals and low hp PCs.

Again, you're missing my point. This is a game mechanic, not some kind of in-world thing. The same way that Death throws are just a game mechanic.

And this would activate AFTER all three death throws are rolled. They're going to die at this point.

It's basically Boromir's last stand in LOTR.

Like, to continue. I don't mind them dying. I think in a campaign, one PC should usually die. I think it makes campaigns really interesting and gives the other PCs something to bond over.

But I want them to be like "That dude was such a badass, even to the end" rather than "He sort of died like a bitch, didn't he?"

So my players have bit the Shilku hook in Tomb of Annihilation. They are supposed to check out the region and do "reconnaissance" for a period of time. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot going on to warrant the period of time they're supposed to check it out.

What sort of shit could I have going on in Shilku? The place is covered in ash and soot from a recent volcanic explosion. I'm trying to think of an interest thread I could lead the players along instead of just saying "you see the ash covered city. it remains an ash covered city for a week."

Also the other thing with max HP = secondary hP pool is it puts player health at the same levels as NPC health and means that both players and NPCs just keel over at 0 rather than players being some weird 'less HP but keeps getting up again' deal.

I saw a thing ages ago during 3.X on the WotC boards about a "Death Flag." His players didn't want random player death (seemed to be more of a light-hearted game anyway), so barring absolute shit luck or stupidity, they basically couldn't die, but if they were willing to, they could raise the "Death Flag" which made them stronger but more assailable, and they could actually die, which was meant to reflect "My character believes in this so strongly, he is willing to die for it" or something.

Dunno, seemed neat I guess.

I feel it would be difficult to work into a believable framework. 5e is pretty forgiving. I find it hard to keep a player down. Give out healing potions and encourage teamwork.

If a player is concerned that they can't get themself up from being downed them you've got a different kind of problem.

This sickens me.

That whole playstyle is cancerous in and of itself where mid-battle people are doing payday tier 'Get the fuck up' and the character gets up or shoving potions down throats

I think it's a nice enough concept for the right sort of game

I mean, in a light hearted game this could work... but it's pretty weird.

(Good) Players found the Book of Vile Darkness. Pretty sure one of them's gonna read it.

oh whats the worst that can happen?

I need some help. I want my character to become a lich (DM is cool with it), but for the sake of being able to doing it again in the future, I need to come with a way to do it that is as grounded in the actual rules of dnd as possible. I read about casting a spell to bring yourself back to life--create undead, resurrection, etc--with contingency and then offing yourself, but being undead isn't the same thing as being a lich. Any ideas?

>can't decide on an archetype for my Revised Ranger

Fuck, why do Rangers have to have so many cool options?

On a whim clicked into Critical Role season 2 and ... They announced DnDBeyond is sponsoring them, and that Blood Hunter is on the site now.

And it fucking is. You can now select it as a base class.

What the fuck.

Fiend is Still King in my book. Endless temp hp, a pretty useful save/skill boost, and a capstone gets someone to fuck off for a turn and maybe take massive damage.

Hexblade helps out with early AC and MAD a little, but it takes a while to get really strong.

Damn same as my campaign. It's currently in possession of the TN mercenary type but our NG Wizard is really getting desperate for answers on how to fight our BBEG...

It's called 'clone'

As much as I don't want non-official content on an official website, it is one of the less egregious ones to put up. im pretty against most homebrews ive seen but im more indifferent to Mercer's which i guess is a plus in his direction

This doesn't belong in D&D.

Go Beastmaster IMO, there was one at my table and the Fighter liked what he was doing so much that he started taking Ranger levels after 5th and is going Beast Master when we hit 8 next level.

I just find it kind of egregious that it's not like you need to enable a content pack or anything like that, it's just listed as a default option along with everything else.

Then why are there plenty of downed spaceships / spess creatures in previous editions an din this edition of D&D?

Who are the hot candidates? What is your campaign going to be like?

That is fair. I can understand that. Fortunately I only play home games with friends so I'm not really affected by what happens on official sites and what not.

>optional rule that someone came up with
you mean homebrew

or you can choose a GOOD Ranger archetype

>I have not read the DMG
>a fantasy medieval setting is the only possible setting for DnD

I mean, you're probably baiting or autismal, but you should still not post retardation like that.

What kind of creatures, aside from undead, are common to the Shadowfell?

PHB beastmaster is obviously shit, Revised beastmaster is good.

Shadow Mastiffs? Umber Hulks?

I agree. It's definitely not for me or my group, but I figured I would throw it out there.

He said REVISED
Revised BM is good, especially if your DM gives you some leeway for companion choice

player in my group had a beast master, and was struggling to keep his pooch relevant above level 10.

let me clarify, a REVISED beast master.
pet just had no way of dealing with the mundane immune/resistant baddies we were facing.

wait so is it like considered AL legal? i can't see anything confirming either way on beyond, did mercer say?

What is that rule AL has? It is like PHB+1? I don't think that falls under that rule as it isn't really in a splatbook or anything.

Yeah that's really the only weakness with it though, the fact that its attacks don't count as magical. It should have really good saves, decent HP and AC, and Whirlwind attack at level 11.
Honestly your DM is kind of a dick if he's constantly throwing nonmagic-immune enemies at you guys without giving a way to make the companion's attacks magical.

of course, we was also a retard for not taking my forge cleric up on his offer to craft his pooch some magic fangs so you're milage may vary.

We were playing OotA. and see above.

>I have never read the DMG or know anything about previous editions the post

yeah but is it considered homebrew still and as such not at all legal or is it like the tortle package where it gets a pass despite being a weird one-off?

Oh then yeah it's totally the player's own fault if he refused a way to keep his pet relevant.

Well unless WotC comes out and says it is I'm gonna go with no.

yeah he's like that. He'll whine about how unfair something is and reject any attempt to fix it. Standard fa/tg/uy

What variant of Sorcerer is best for a buff/debuffer?