/edhg/ - EDH/Commander General

Hellbent Edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question:
What's your playgroup's average budget?

>What's your playgroup's average budget?

>me: around $60 a deck
>my friends: around $230 a deck

fuck gitrog, fuck inalla

>Thread question
Unlimited with one group, but really about $750, and about $200 with the other group.

Budget is a poor gauge of power in general. I run a very expensive terrible monoblack deck, and a very powerful $150 Brago deck.

On average pretty high, most folks play with duals and I think at least half of them have pooped out a mana crypt before or have cradles and stuff.

That being said we also have a guy that plays with mostly proxies and is slowly buying stuff, and goofy decks like skeleton ship -1/-1 tribal.

My decks personally run about $300-$3,000.

Also none of us play "competitive" despite the complete disregard for budget

Jesus I don't even know. I've dropped over 2 grand on shit, at a guess, but it's all diluted so I don't have one deck that's super-strong fuck you type stuff.

Another guy just buys boosters or boxes like every set and manages to get INSANE pulls. I'm jealous of his luck. He bought 4 packs of Iconic Masters, nabbed a foil Thoughtseize, foil Aether Vial, a Mana Drain, and a fucking Flusterstorm.

What deck would a Russian play? Like stereotypical Russian.

What about a stereotypical Canadian?

Hardcore Stax
Kangs Group hug with no wincon.

I think mine and the majority of my group's are $100-250

One friend who runs Omnath and Karlov were pricey. I think it was in the $300-$500 price range for each of htem

Then one dude who comes to the store had a $1000 mono blue wizard deck. Don't remember commander but I hated it.

I disagree with the Canada part. Canadians just seem nice, really they're all a bunch of sadistic fucking degenerates with a thin patina of politeness.

Sounds like Azami.

Isn't maelstrom wanderer really hard to not win with?

Everyone in my group has a big pool of expensive staples already, so budget is sort of an arbitrary thing. For instance, if you were to record it from the moment either of us said "I want to build this Commander" I probably spent the same amount of money building my $250 Zada deck as my brother spent building his $1300 Atraxa deck, because he already had the vast majority of the pieces whereas I had to pick up a bunch of snow mountains. Between deciding "I want to build Daretti" and actually building the deck, the only things I had to buy for it specifically were the cards from the Daretti precon, and the deck is $1800 (though that's mostly because I bought a Mishra's Workshop for like $300 a couple years ago).

The cheapest deck in the pool is probably my Zada deck and the most expensive is probably my Daretti. Funny how that contrasts. Most of our decks are in the $500-$800 range, if I had to guess.

Joke's on you, I always tactically scoop on turn 1

Yup. A giant pile of ramp and jank rares will absolutely shit on a casual meta.

>I bought a Mishra's Workshop for like $300
This hurts. God damn I really want a Workshop. Artifacts are my first and truest love in MTG.

My meta isn't too casual.

Kinda related/unrelated since I don't feel like this is worth making a new thread for, but what do you guys use to store sleeved Cubes in? I tried a fatpack but I can only get a little over 300 sleeved cards in one.

In a good meta it's a coinflip. Either everything goes right, you stack your top deck and win off the first cast, or wind up with a giant stack of dead draws or ramp into ramp.

Any good stuff from rivals of ixalan?

I've always loved artifacts too. My first EDH deck was Sharuum and I jumped on the Modern bandwagon when you could buy the entire Affinity list for around $200. I consider getting into Affinity that early and buying the Workshop to be probably the smartest moves I've made.

The best thing about it though is I got the Workshop from a guy who had been playing since Beta. He had bought a couple boxes of Antiquities when it came out and so he'd opened 6 copies. He'd eventually sold or traded all but the one I got from him, and it was one of the two extra, so it had never been played. It sat in a binder, untouched for years. My playgroup lets me use a stand-in proxy for it, since it's probably 9.5 or higher grade condition. It'd be sacrilege to shuffle it.

What are the best 1 sided stax pieces Veeky Forums? Ones that punish my opponents but not myself.

Would something like this be acceptable?

Derevi, but that's not how stax works. You break a symmetrical lock with something you plan for you dip.

You can never go wrong with Blind Obedience. Extort and shuts down infinite tap token strats.

>tfw trying to make a tcgplayer order but seemingly no store has more than one card that I need
>tcgplayer is also moving slower than molasses
How annoying.

Seconding

Don't attack Russia in Winter Orb, Portcullis Iron Curtain, Scorched Earth Smokestack, etc.

Commander is obviously Zedruu, Redistributor of Wealth

Phelddagrif Group Hug so hard you start to choke

This does not make me feel better. Only sadder that I did not go all in on a Workshop when I started.

The Bandit Lord will never be complete without a Workshop.

Zedruu isn't nihilistic enough. Purphoros seems like a good commander for a Russian deck, but I was thinking about something dimir or grixis. Maybe Thrax or Lord of Tresserhorn?

There's stuff like GA and rhystic study, but most of the time you make something effect your opponent but not you in deck building. Null Rod, Back to Basics, Blood Moon, Mindlock Orb, Torpor Orb, etc. Are all stellar pieces, you just have to build your deck to take advantage of the right cards. If you want to abuse nonbasic hate you need to run more basics, if you want to fuck artifacts you have to cut most of those (or at least the ones with activated abilities so Stony silence and null rod can shine). If you want Torpor Orb and hushwing gryf to be baller for you cut back on etbs.

That's how you build stax. Doing it with the one sided effects only costs too much mana and isn't as crushing.

It might make you feel better to know I passed on buying two Bazaars from the same guy at $120 each. I regret that pretty sharply.

yes

There's maybe a small handful of decent cards for commander, but honestly nothing game changing.

What are we hoping for in the next masters set or dominaria? So far Iconic and Ixalan have been pretty much trash tier for commander.

You could pick up an old holiday gift box, I'm using it to store my shit right now, but they could at least get a cube in there.

>What are we hoping for in dominaria?
Masterpiece Planeswalkers

Stranglehold is a pretty dope, though I'm not sure if it falls under what most people would consider stax effects.

I have a lot of fairly expensive UW lands leftover after taking apart my daxos voltron deck. Any ideas for something spicy to make throw them into? Preferably something that isn't a cookie-cutter GAAIV/Brago/etc.

>Braids, Cabal Minion
>oh wait, she's banned
but honestly derevi

>thread question
~$250. One guy in our group has a ~$400 deck, but its not too good and really just a bling.dek

This is such a sexy card, especially in angry omnath

>one sided stax
lol wat
best generic answer i can come up with is crucible w/ strip mine or waste land. anything graveyard recursion with smoke stack

Mana Web

I'd wager it's around $200, though a few guys playing with original duels and such probably spent as much as $800+ on a single deck.
Most of mine are between $150-$250, though my favorite deck is now around $600 after having much love and shiny cards put into it.

Also, speaking of Godo, does anyone know of the art piece where it's him riding out from his Hall, with a really cool-ass mountain range behind him? I found it on some high-profile (at the time) Magic artist's site. I want to say it was Rob Alexander, but I feel like I'm wrong.

newb here. please rank lands to buy:

Shocks, Fetches, Fast, Check, Filter, then things like scry, tri, utility, bounce

That's the order I'm guessing?

My decks range from $20-$200. I usually build from cards I already own, like my Eldrazi deck that I did not purchase any singles for.

Would you recommend a beginner buy the Commander Anthology to have a bit of variety with decks or use that money to try and build one of their own?

it varies, two brothers in our playgroup have 95% foil decks, and tons of expensive cards like abur duals, ravages of war, and karn planeswalkers, etc, i expect their decks vary from $1000 to $3000

my decks are pretty expensive too though, my planeswalker deck is worth something like $815 according to TCGplayer, my reanimator deck is $747, my mono green deck is $571

of course i didnt pay that much for those cards, but thats true of most expensive decks

for me its

Fetch > Shock > Bounce = Check > Filter > Fast.
Scry sucks, tri are important but I dont play >2 colours, utility are top tier but I dont pay them much attention

It'll be cheaper to build your own unless you actively want 50% of the shit in the anthology, plus it gives you copies of staples for any other decks you build in the future.

I bought the Anthology with 3 friends and it was the best purchase I made

ribbit

I searched around a bit and I saw someone using this Alexandr Malek art for a Kamigawa fan card. Could that have been it?

Shocks and fetches are obviously the best there (assuming abur out of your price range)

the rest kinda vary depending on how many colors youre running and other factors. i think in 2 colors, you want the checkland much more than the fast land, because you'll have plenty of basics and the fast lands can be very unfortunate on turn 4+,

even in 3 colors, if you have all the shocklands and fetchlands, you'll consistently have your checklands turned on turn 2, making them generally better than fastlands again.

fastlands are compare more favorably to checklands if you are missing fetchlands though, because the reduced consistency of having that basic land type you need

the shadowmoor filter lands seem better to me than the fastlands in 2 colors as well, though they have the opposite niche. fastlands give you that guaranteed turn 1-2 color you need to make your initial plays. whereas filterlands let you cast heavy pip spells in the mid and late-game

tapduals are generally bad i think, but on a budget they will work

That's really cool art but not what I'm looking for. The instant I see it, even as a thumbnail, I will know it.

It's the coolest panorama I've seen in Magic and it'd look fucking amazing on a Hall of the Bandit Lord alter. I have a full set of them by some miracle and I want to save one to alter for my Godo shenanigans

>I use infinite combos in my deck

Not the guy you're replying to, but if I'm running a slower 5 color deck, I'd want all the 3 color lands, right? Then where should I focus?

Im new so be kind

I have a question regarding cards like vedalken orrery
Whats the benefit to giving your cards flash or instant speed? I get it for cards with etb effects, attacking, or blocking an attack but outside of that, whats the benefit in giving your spells instant speed?

Might be worth seeing if you can find any story articles from back then, in case they used it as set piece art. I don't know if they did as many art pieces just for the story back then, but it certainly doesn't seem to be on any card.

Imagine casting Wrath of God in response to someone attacking you with 10 4/4 Flyers

>whats the benefit in giving your spells instant speed?
>etb effects, attacking, or blocking an attack
Answered your own question friendo

>you again ... again
joke wasn't funny the first time, bud

im not so sure you would want all those 3 color lands, thats 10 taplands right there. being slower doesnt necessarily make taplands better. if youre sitting at 4 mana waiting to cast some sweet 5 drops in your slowdeck, topdecking a tapland is brutal

if you cant afford all the fetches and shocks though, then i think they are a more favorable option

otherwise you're gonna want mostly rainbow lands and shock/fetches, and utilize artifacts and green spells to fix your colors

You can cast things during other players turns. Say someone casts Patriarch's Bidding and you flash in Grafdigger's Cage, that's a lot better than just having played Grafdigger's Cage during your turn.

to cast things on the end step of the guy before you for protection and pseudo-haste on creatures or to throw out sorcery speed boardwipes any time you want

>Whats the benefit to giving your cards flash or instant speed?
A lot of things! For one thing, you're not constrained to only your turn when it comes to playing permanents. This makes effects like silence fairly useless, since you can play permanents virtually whenever you want.
Another thing is that when you can flash cards, it minimises what your opponents can counterplay your cards with. You'd literally be able to play your entire boardstate (given if you have enough untapped mana) at the beginning of your opponent's upkeep, and there is nothing they can do about it.
Basically, its one of those add-ons that raises an opponents tension levels by a lot. They can't rely on the regular rules for when something might come into play. In a way its more psychological than anything else.
There's probably a bunch of other things I missed, but yeah. Just ask questions, unless if you're a complete retard most people in these threads would be happy to answer your questions since EDH typically tends to cater to people who are more into casual play.

This is for my Inalla deck, am I missing something obvious?
Also why do UK sellers have no stock

casting at instant speed has an inherent advantage beyond even the benefits like surprise blocking. you get to cast your spells with the most possible information. you get to save your mana and cards until the ideal moment to spend them.

consider you have an enchantment like Mirari's wake in hand and you have 5 mana in play. you may be tempted to tap out for mirari's wake and play next turn with 12 mana. but you'll also be suspicious that if you do that, you could get totally wrecked with your shields down, so you might prefer to simply pass leaving up reactive plays

if you have vedalken orrery in play though, you dont have to make that hard decision, you can simply pass with 5 mana up. and if nobody on any of their turns makes any play you need to respond to, you can then play mirari's wake and immediately untap, by the way also giving your opponents no sorcery speed window to destroy your mirari's wake. and if they did play something you needed to counter, your mirari's wake is still in hand and your safe from whatever the threat was, its a win-win for sure

i like teferi. mage of zhalfir especially for this effect because the advantage of instant speed casting is somewhat dampened if your opponent has a bunch of instant speed plays of their own. so teferi makes sure that nobody is on your level, and it leaves them pretty helpless to your "end step i flash in all this awesome but vulnerable shit and none of you can do a thing, then i untap with 5 counterspells up" gameplan

now all that said, i think permanents that great instant speed to other spells are actually not the most powerful cards in general, they are more in that strong-casual tier of cards, and the ideal strategy is actually to just play tons of actual instants and spells with flash that dont need anything to make them instant speed

>am I missing something obvious?
A noose to hang yourself

me again

Captcha translates extremely roughly to "friendly path." I'm willing to interpret this as "Godspeed, user."

You now have the grace of God behind you for every risky-ass, "throw caution to the wind" thing you do for the rest of 2018.

>this topic
I thought this topic was over in the past thread.

Necessary nonland cards for a Brago King Eternal deck
Go!

>hard mode
No:
>Sol Ring
>Cyclonic Rift
>Rhystic Study
>Vensor, Shaper Savant
>Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
>Nimble Innovator
>Render Silent
>Deadeye Navigator
>Archaeomancer
>Reflector Mage
>Detention Sphere

Good luck, my guys

wall of omens is better than nimble innovator

also arent you missing the most necessary of all on your hard mode list? the thing that copies abilities

>the thing that copies abilities
Which b/w permanents do that?

He's talking about Strionic Resonator

Noted. Ive been searching mostly b/w. Kinda forgot about artifacts

>b/w
U/W. B is Black.

>commander league today
>pod going pretty well
>Rhys player getting out of hand with tokens
>another player has a lot of x/2's
>bout to resolve the nastiest elesh norn ever
>put it on the stack
>Rhys flashes this in
>we both fucking die laughing

seriously didn't see it coming. made my night

Stonehorn Dignitary

>Hey guys, let's play a format about interesting card interactions
>Hmm, this interaction is a bit too strong
>Wait, these seem to even go infinite
>Fucking combo faggots get out REEEEEEEEE
This is you. And no, tapped creatures and the face of the opponent isn't an interaction

Sorry to noob but what does the u stand for?

Blue. B was taken by Black, L was taken by Land.

blUe.

This is what I use for my 360 card cube

I got a foil Thoughtseize from an IMA booster the other day. Is it worth it to include it in an EDH deck?

Not in a multiplayer focused one.

sell it to some nerd for modern and buy good shit

So I made a cEDH deck (turn 5 infinite combo wins without disruption) and was wondering if there's any way to make the deck playable against kitchen table decks?
I don't mind losing/ letting people win in the name if good fun but what's the best way to go about it?

Restrict tutoring
Change some staples to subotimal timmy shit
Put more incremental midrange value as opposed to the instant speed/uninteractive setups
Consider running low-key commander with the same colors, if he's not part of your combos, helps a whole bunch
Keep the cards you've taken out handy to swap them in when big boys show up

Other than that, undisrupted turn 5 wins are something even some casual decks can do, just make sure not to upset people with too much instawins.

Great advice thanks buddy!
I'll swap out the commander for another legendary in the same colours and I already am lacking any black tutors.

They just run Timmy shit and wrath every 2-3 turns, I want to get us out of this meta hole.

Take out tutors and add in tiddys

What's a fun/casual 1v1 commander?

I want to build Brion but get the feeling he's more multiplayer focused.

When I got empty hand
>user, you are clearly the threat, you have so much stuff on the table
When I got empty board
>user is about to combo off any second now, let's gang up on him

That's what playing with random people at LGS feels like. Sometimes it's so ridiculous I'm not even mad

>scoop is sorcery speed
fixed

yeah, nah.

Make it less competitive you sick fuck. If you want to play with your friends casually, then make a casual deck, not a T5 combo deck. Simple.

Scooping sorcery speed is a bad idea, especially if you're playing with a new storm player.
How about
>scooping is instant speed, but I stopped playing with babies
Fix'd

Oh man I hate this. Happens to me occasionally when I play against certain people, they are always like "oh wow a blue player with a full hand I don't like that" even though it's full because I have 3 lands by turn 6 and nothing to play.
Some people try to enforce this. I don't get why people are so salty about it. If someone wants to scoop, just let them. It's a game. And a casual format of the game at that. No need to ride so many dicks over it.

>undisrupted turn 5 wins are something even some casual decks can do
What the fuck kind of casual decks are you talking about? Show me an example

$100-$150 some of us have one deck we like and have upgraded to ~$200-$300

Does anyone know any other good ways to generate artifact for Time Sieve apart from Thopter Assembly?

Myr Battlesphere? Kind of clunky, would need like panharmonicon, ashnods, and nim deathmantle to abuse i think.