Flames of War General: Al Dente Edition

Welcome to /fowg/. The place where threads move slower than an Italian advance without German support.

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Other urls found in this thread:

bel-podcast.blogspot.com/2018/01/here-comes-il-duce-bel-reviews-avanti.html?m=1
nodicenoglory.com/2018/01/11/italians-in-mid-war-avanti-reviewed-and-spoiled/
btassault.wpengine.com/avanti-italian-forces-in-north-africa-1942-43-first-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Italians have been spoiled.

bel-podcast.blogspot.com/2018/01/here-comes-il-duce-bel-reviews-avanti.html?m=1

>The more concise Behind Enemy Lines spoiler

nodicenoglory.com/2018/01/11/italians-in-mid-war-avanti-reviewed-and-spoiled/

>the shit tier Nu-WWPD spoiler with missing pictures and walls of text. Some actual points are spoiled in this one though.

Waiting to see what the points of the Semoventes are. Tempted to make a list with 8 x Flak 88s and 3 strong Semovente unit spam.

btassault.wpengine.com/avanti-italian-forces-in-north-africa-1942-43-first-review/

>A third and final review from breakthrough assault.

Can someone decrypt this?

Unless we have a photoshop whiz we don’t know about, I’d say the points costs in their previews are far too pixelated.

On the no dice no glory podcast they said they were 4 points each and you can take up to 6 in a platoon. I'm kinda mad that I picked up some panzer IVs and they won't really have a purpose when I can just take the Italian assault guns that have a better bombardment and a better direct shot for less points.

How do you guys feel about Team Yankee?

Shhhh. Only Italians right now.

This is 70 points of vets.

That’s all I have to say about Team Yankee.

HQ M60A3 - 4pts
4x M60A3 - 16pts
4x M60A3 - 16pts

Armored Cavalry HQ - 1pt
3x IPM1 - 27pts
M113 Scout section - 2pts

4x M48 chaparral - 8pts
4x M247 sgt.york - 8pts
4x HMMWV stinger - 4pts
3x M109 - 7pts
M113 FISTV - 1pt

A 100 points list

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

I think it's better than V4 by a country mile, and it's also the only thing preventing BF from going bust.

Every thread is full of you fags bitching about spam.

If you like filling up the table with dozens of tanks lined up like the battle of borodino, that’s fine, but I don’t like the way it looks or the boring grind of playing it.

Every thread is full of you fags bitching about legitimate spam-related complaints.

Cheers Phil!

Phil killed FoW. They could have milked v3 LW for another 5 years.

Cheers you smug cunt. You killed my community because half hate the tone and gameyness of v4.

It's possible to take Artillery inside ACAV formation which helps it live longer

>mfw I bought into West Germans
>mfw 70 points gets me 6 tanks

Right, but you’re talking about the Leopard 2.

The M60 is 4 points each, more on-par with the Leopard 1 at 3 points each.

I've resisted getting into 4th(and I'm not as obsessed with the desert war as most WWII people) but I really like the look of the Italian tanks and the biplane and there's appeal in the underdog.

Is buying in a bad idea? Seems like most of the Flames people are playing TY and that Italians would be really outgunned.

What would you rather play? Which would you rather support?

Answer these questions and the answer you shall have.

At least it's an easier painting task... Although I'm not looking forward to trying for the exact same camo scheme on all my Leo2s

A lot of people have been anticipating the Italians.

If anything the seem a bit weak in the anti-tank department, but that can be worked around if you can get shots at the enemy’s side armor.

A lot of people half-ass the camouflage.

Unlike in WWII, the patterns were standardized, and each vehicle with a specific pattern was supposed to be painted as close to identical as possible to any other vehicle of the same type using that camouflage pattern.

It takes patience, and doesn’t allow for much creativity, but accurately painted camouflage looks a lot better in my opinion than half-assed camouflage.

Good game really, very streamlined. I find morale rules a bit weird for my tastes. The big Con is the lack of variety on the list. Basically:

-Warsaw only can play swarm tactics
-Nato plays spamlist.

In 15mm scale i found awkward see too many tanks, you end playing a parking tank game.

You can try 6mm, is pretty neat (and less expensive) in that scale.

>tank parking lots

Do people not use the reserves rules?

That helps cut down on that quite a bit.

Why are they pixelating the points costs? The copy at my store has it all laid out clearly. All I remember off the top of my head is that 9 R/MG teams cost 9 points. Don't remember the others but everything was more expensive than I expected. They appear to be really elite.

>Do people not use the reserves rules?
Not him, but unit coherency means that I only see Napoleonic tank squares.

Any chance of that being amended/changed?

They can take more AT14 then Germans can.

Got this at my lfgs.
>unlisted
>8 years old
>couldn't even find them listed in bfs store
Got a good price.
So is the emcha a good alternative to T34-chan?

I think hero emchas seem pretty good. Easy enough to use a company of 4 for support.

I certainly agree with that. I'm hardly a pro-painter but I'm going to give it my best shot.
As I recall the Leo2s are actually painted by a computer/machine, hence the identical pattern on all vehicles.

For what it’s worth, Soviet tankers seemed to prefer them.

And the US checked hand-painted(usually sprayed, but occasionally brushed) tanks against a pattern.

A vehicle had to be within certain limits or else the paint job had to be fixed.

I just bought the following polish army forces:

2 Mounted Kawaleri Company
2 Infantry Battalions
1 Tank Company
1 TKS tankette blister
5 horse drawn limbers
3 supply wagons
2 2x Tachankas
Wojtek the bear
6 2x Zis Truck
1 MG Platoon

I am gonna have a long night.

Oh man consider me jelly.
>Wojtek
He is doing good work in my army.

I got all this because the store owner dropped that my Market Garden fords was Polish Paras with Irish Guard armor and Lorried rifles. But of course there all gonna be polish forces.

Inventory buyback got them the two infantry batallions and the tank company, so they sent them here to me.

This is like $1200 in Polish minis.

And more of my late war infantry

I should have these ready for a few tournaments. Will need some critique for the list though. It’s Market Garden only

>jelly

seconding this.

i miss being Polish in-game. i don't miss having only 2 good players that weren't dicks
GAJOland is way fucking better than the pirate seas i lived in. May have to do Polish again....

funny news: i may get in V3 games in before i get a V4 game in.....

Would anyone happen to know what Soviet book has polish tanks in it? I’d assume a late war book but I don’t know what would. I’ve been asking around for anyone who has Soviet tanks that still had the left over transfer sheets cause there’s polish decals

Not sure what you are asking here. LW has poles under soviet command, represented by pretty much any regular soviet formation but with polish markings (and sometimes not even that).

>stick bear with 8 guns
>tanks come within range
>eat 24 AT 9 shots

Granted they’re probably gonna bounce off front armor, but that’s still hilarious.

I wish all artillery got the salvo effect.

>16 25pdr gun salvo

A man can dream.

I wasn’t sure if there was a specific book that had a ‘polish’ entry.

What is the best place to get dismounted Lancias?

Brits have brit-equipped Polish with Polish on the label. they are Poles.

Soviets, despite outcry to the opposite, are the cultural borg. you don't get separate race profiles once you join Uncle Stalin's grand army.

i hope you enjoy unit research....
>pic barely related

There’s polish decals in the Soviet transfers. I was asking if there was a tank regiment conscripted made entirely of poles.

i forgot which one, but yes. i think there were 2 in fact....

>praetorian taste, user. very much praetorian....

>Includes (the practically for-free) HMMWVs
>Acts surprised he has a shit-ton of vehicles
Also, that's 78 points worth of stuff.

Compare the M60 to the Leo2, and you will realize why you get 6 tanks for 66 points (not that the leo2 isn't horribly priced)

so you bought 3 of Ryan's Leathernecks?

That’s a lot more than 3.

Considering the box gives you 3 tanks and 6 Humvees, I’d say that’s 5 copies.

If you were fighting someone who had an 8 gun (2x 4 gun troops) artillery company with the 17/25 pdr gun, as the 25pdr artillery piece, would you be okay with that if he had no 17pdr AT gun teams?

Or would I get bullshit at a tournament for having that?

Depends on the nature of the tournament, I personally wouldn't have a problem with that, if you were doing it, maybe dash off an email to the TO.

If it is a problem I think I’d just buy the four 17pdrs since I don’t think there’s a list that lets you take several 17pdrs

>Three formations
>No regular infantry
Do you guys think people would be mad if I used my regular old Fucilieri models? I don't want to paint up a shit ton more infantry for my Italians if I don't have to.

Seriously, it boggles my mind. Do BF plan to add more formations in future books? Through PDFs? What? And not to mention all the units they're leaving out. I can't use my 75s now because only the 100/17 is in the book?

Now I see why all the British players are so pissed about MW.

The word on the street is that they will be a downgrade in the command deck.

Which part? Fucilieri? So I'll need to buy a command deck and thr unit card deck to use my existing models?

Locally it's TY that sleepy and FoW V4 that's rolling strong so it just depends on your local area, I guess.

Even the local grog who hated V4 on release joined the latest tournament and had good fun.

Emcha stronk.
Be sure to read Loza's memoirs.

Battlefront want you to buy new shit. If you aren’t buying new shit, they don’t care if you play or not. Now that they got burned with the initial releases they’ve been adding in command cards to save face, but even those only go so far.

I heard it would be Fucilieri and the Blackshirts. I feel bad for you man I really do but if it makes you feel any better I just got into V4 and I am definitely going to pick up Italians.

> If you aren’t buying new shit, they don’t care if you play or not

This isn't strictly true, or at least it shouldn't be if Battlefront are smart.

People who play Battlefront games but aren't actively buying things from Battlefront are still useful as they make up part of the oh so valuable community, the biggest hurdle for a tabletop company to overcome when it comes to being successful is that most people won't play a game unless there are people they know that already play it in their area. As stupid as people saying "ded game" is, they have a point from the perspective of a business trying to sustain any sort of size above the level of cottage industry.

The lack of any hold-you-over lists and the absence of units in the initial releases makes me pretty confident battlefront had little concern for existing players. North Africa is the most popular setting and the people who had north Afrika armies couldn’t use half of what they had, so basically no one has gotten into MW here or really even bought minis for it.

And you are absolutely right about needing an existing community to sell new players. If no one is playing, it’s going to be hard to bring new people in.

>if Battlefront are smart.
Well, that's the problem. Or at least, Battlefront isn't currently behaving in a smart manner. Too much stuff is missing, too much stuff is simplified or changed for "no" reason. And everyone on the Eastern Front isn't even acknowledged to exist (then again, BF never did seem to give a shit about soviets)

>BF never did seem to give a shit about soviets
BF has always cared about Soviets Komrade! They have worked hard in past and will no doubt work hard in future to bring you most accurate depiction of Faceless Asiatic Hordes of Kommunists, with their varied (read: only) viable tactics of human/tank waves. Fear not Komrade, Soviets will receive much (accurate) love.

Cheers

I wish those Polish army boxes were still available.

After speaking on the phone to a US distributor they know I’m buying.

Im the jackass who just bought $1200 polish shit

I was building this for a 1780 tournament, Market Garden

Stanislaw Sosabowski
Polish Parachute Company
HQ
3 Platoons

Lorried Rifle Company (Guards)
HQ
2 Platoons
Armored Platoon (3 Sherman 1 Firefly)
17pdr SP tank hunter Platoon
Royal Field arty (8 25pdr)

When the store owner mentioned to his distributor about what the Sherman V and Parachute company were for, and Sosabowski, the dist thought my list idea was really cool. They did a buyback on old kits and in their last batch they got a bunch of early war Polish forces.

The box from Battlefront this week was literally all my order, minus a Late War army book, and a Fortess Italy army book.

I’ve got a friend who paints for vets and I’m deploying in late February, so I’ll be building and assembling everything, and passing it off for him to paint at his own pace while I’m with the fleet.

How’s this for a midwar list:

Honey HQ x4 (3 tanks)
Honey Troop x15 (3 tanks)
Pip Roberts
Scout tanks

I can't wait for lists like this to have to deal with careful AT guns in buildings.

I get they want people to buy new stuff, but driving off existing players by taking away all their existing shit is not good business practice. You think they'd learn from backslashes after Desert Rats and Afrika Corp. Or do the people on the official forums only say positive things?

So one more thing I need to buy. Guess it's cheaper than replacing all my infantry and gun teams.

Italians were super fun in V3 (despite V3's problems) and I hope they don't lose that charm in V4.

Just wait for the book to get scanned and you only need to buy the command deck.

I've already got the book on hold at one of my LGS', and I'm a sucker for having a physical copy of a book.

I just hope someone will stat out the other stuff they cut from the books at some point.

Won’t matter with 57 tanks to chew through.

They each have 5 MGs too, so... yeah have fun unpinning every round.

I was able to get the book early, do we want some leaks?

For Avanti? Yes please. How many points are the 14/41 going to be? Anything about Fucilieri mentioned?

breddy cheap desu

I'm probably gonna be bad at this but i took a pic of each company/the units except the german stuff in the back of the book

So 26 points gets me two full platoons and a command? Not too shabby.

Yeah it seems pretty nice, though i'm a fan of the sevomentes

Yeah, being able to take 6 in a platoon is pretty nuts.

How long before Semovente spam?

Sevomente spam now amico

mamma mia!

Implying i'm not gonna greenstuff anchovy and carpaccio and pepperoni in the commander hatches

why do you think i'm starting the pizzamen lad

Oh Jesus. BF, what are you doing?

What's wrong, you don't like 18 sevomentes?

I just hate how easy they're making it to just spam shit. Cut down on number of options, insert easy spammy bullshit, print, done. It just reeks of laziness.

And I had high hopes for V4, but this is looking pretty bad.

Historical org: two carro commando, 4 semo

BF org: 6 semo

Okay? They rally on 3+. Have fun not killing anything.

I think that a balanced list will do better than trying to spam sevomentes.

Yeah, I've given up on any pretense of historical accuracy BF may have put into the game before.

I imagine they will, too. I'm just bugged that BF's entire strategy seems to be to strip out 50%+ of the options the army previous had in favor of making it easier to spam.

I think its more of a case of they want to have nice and easy boxes ready for all the options in the book preferably in plastic. But fundamentally you are not wrong.

>not a bad idea.
>why use greenstuff when you can use 8 USD?

I can get that, and even support such a thing, but at the same time they can't just act like their metal lines don't exist.

Makes me really want to just stick with V3 and start building my EW stuff.

No on wants to play early war with me :(

I just want to play Japanese cav.....

I think EW is best. It has a huge variety of armies, anti-tank rifles are worth a damn, and it's not just a big armor fest like LW seems to be.

Seriously, I wish more people played EW. I wanna build my Finns.

PSCs Valentines and 25pdrs with desert crew are making a EW (and MW) army move into the realm of affordability for me. That it can be used both early and mid helps. Now I just need to stat up the Madagascar invasion to field tetrarchs alongside the vals...

That's how I feel about my Italians. Basically I need a few new tanks, a 102 battery, some tankettes and the naval gun are all I would need to make my Italians into EW.

But infantry tanks are dumb in EW. If they hit your lines they just drink your tears and there is nothing you can do about it. It's like if you could run a tiger company in MW.

Cav units don't have spearhead REEEE

who makes those?

I did hear someone (iirc in the Discord) talk about some units having 6-Semovente platoons at some point.

bruh