Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/

Frustrations of GMing Edition
What do you GMs out there employ as your most effective means to keep the party on task?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/YLikTing
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/PUMYw1zC
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

realmshelps.net/index.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=fiF7jBFY9qw
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities/#TOC-Damage-Reduction
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Swallow-Whole-Ex-
d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/inscribe-magical-tattoo-item-creation/
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/martial-class-templates/privateer-template
archivesofnethys.com/OracleCurses.aspx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for making orcs great again

Figured I'd ask in here since there's a decent overlap between PF and 3.5. Anyone have a good 3.5 trove link? I can't find the old trove I used to use.

>have both the Dragon's Tattoos and Zodiac Tattoos feats from spheres of might
>GM said "the Brawling armor enchant is now a +1 armor enchant, fuck Paizo"
>could theoretically add the WEAPON Brawling enchant as a tattoo to my skin
>could also theoretically add the ARMOR brawling enchant as a tattoo to my skin

Tattoos are great, what else is there for them in Pathfinder?

Improvisation: Your party wants to go a different way than you planned? Fine, just tune to story to fit their new direction.

Old Empires, Page 51
>A number of orcs have left the tribe to become traders in Airspur, where half-orcs are fast becoming the dominant members of its society. Because of this, a large dwarven mercenary company has offered its services to Cimbar, which is currently at war with Airspur. For the most part, however, the orcs of Airspur have adopted human values and compete with human traders for business, not racial reasons. The archmage Heptios says that orcs who adopt human values may be the greatest threat the Realms have ever known.

>realmshelps.net/index.shtml

Go to Da Curated Archive () and search for the WotC Trove.

>player gets a wand and uses it
>after the first use, I mention that "the wand feels a little warm in your hands".
>player freaks out and refuses to use it again until a couple sessions later
Aside from this being fun as fuck, is this bad GMing? I mean, the intention is to get them to be careful with wands, but there isn't any actual consequence for using all the charges at once, and if they kept going I would have added more stuff like "sparks shoot out of the end of the wand" or "you smell the faint odor of burning", but nothing overtly dangerous.

No. That sounds pretty good.

Student Council of Thieves reviews when?

Never, leave that shit alone.

Talking to them about the type of campaign you want to run before you start playing.

You're good. You can't control the bizarre knee-jerk reactions of bad players. All you can do is provide an appropriate amount of feedback for their actions and hope they eventually gain enough experience to become good players.

I wouldn't even say that was a bad reaction from the player, if all they did was avoid using the wand for a while. If my DM had never made any comments like that when wands were used before, this coming out of the blue would make me wonder if there's something special- for better or worse- about this wand. Assuming "player freaks out" doesn't mean the player started shouting about how it's not fair to boobytrap wands or something, I don't see why you'd even be worried about this (and if they did do that, youd still be in the clear in my mind)

My first reaction would be a Knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft check to see if I can discern what's going on. If you refuse to give out any information that way or set the DC to be impossible, then you might be a bad DM, but just mentioning an odd, not immediately harmful effect isn't wrong (I might even say it's quite the opposite if it leads to something interesting).

Hypnotic Tattoo gives an weirdly-great benefit to anyone who knows how to dance.

Rajah playtest is coming to an end. What is everyone's opinion on it?

I don't see myself playing one, it seems like their whole deal is making other characters more effective instead of doing things themselves.

I dunno, there's something to be said about actually being able to play a proper "support-focused" character instead of awkwardly saying "I'm helping you guys too!" as you beat someone's face in with your +7 Exploding Doublerapeaxe.

Realmshelps is great but doesn't include everything. There's also another dndtools out there that seems to be working, but again, doesn't contain everything. Sometimes I'm looking for an obscure sourcebook like Unapproachable East or the Beastiary of Krynn or something. Thankfully I have both of those on a portable drive still but I don't have everything.

Danke. I keep forgetting those threads. Disappointed to see the trove doesn't have any 3pp for 3.x but this is more than enough for me for now. I like pulling obscure 3.x shit out and occasionally even 3pp to throw players for a loop. Especially when I don't know what else to do, my notes aren't working, or they need something random thrown at them.

That I really don't want to see 2hu write another fucking 20 post blog about it in the thread.

This is right up there with the timeless GM fear tropes such as:
> "Are you sure you want to do that?"
> randomly rolling dice behind the screen for no apparent reason.
> smiling menacingly at the players
> chuckling to yourself when a player wants to do something
> muttering "Oh that's not good" or some variant
> "Roll Perception"
> "What's your X save (or AC) again?"

Sure, some experienced players (especially if they're used to you) won't freak out over every one of them, but it's always good to strike a little fear into the players, it makes them more careful and makes the end rewards that much sweeter. Just don't overdo these tropes, because like a horror movie with all build-up and no jump scare if you wind the tension up too much without giving a release it'll just frustrate everyone.

Being a lazy lord is nice.

Huh... would the enchantment to CMB stack with the enchantment to hit?

Would you allow Glamered items to be worn items, such as turning a pistol and a knife into a pair of gloves? Perhaps not even a regular pair of gloves, but something with big-ass bracers/manacles.

My GM is against the idea, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

If it doesn't say that it can't do that, then it can.

Yes. The Brawling ARMOR ability gives an untyped bonus. The Brawling WEAPON ability adds your enhancement bonus to your combat maneuver checks

But with Dragon Tattoo you already get your enchantment to maneuvers like Grappling or Trip since you're using your body to perform them, which now functions as a weapon.

Would the Brawling Weapon ability let you get double enchantment to maneuvers? (to hit normally and to CMB from Brawling).

>If it doesn't say that it can't do that, then it can.
That statement is pretty damn contrary to pretty much how PF has always been. Or at least how everyone is taught to play. Typically the rule of thumb is "if the book doesn't say it works, then it doesn't" lol

It says that it can assume the form of any object of similar size. If the intent was for it not to be able to turn into wearable objects, they would specify this instead of expecting you to read their minds somehow.

>expecting you to read their minds somehow
Isn't that the definition of RAI? And how many RAW vs RAI debates appear in these threads on a regular basis?

I mean, from what it says I'd have allowed that to work myself, but the things you're saying directly conflict the longstanding trend of PF and D&D both lol

What reason is there to believe that having items unable to turn into gloves is RAW or RAI? It's just something the GM pulled out of his ass.

If it says "anything" and doesn't limit it explicitly, therefore it must be legal, otherwise nothing would be

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 2 last night.
youtube.com/watch?v=fiF7jBFY9qw
Does Damage Reduction apply to internal organs?

>d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/special-abilities/#TOC-Damage-Reduction
>Damage Reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

>d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Swallow-Whole-Ex-
>A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is equal to 1/10 the creature’s total hit points), or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armor Class of the interior of a creature that swallows whole is normally 10 + 1/2 its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. I'm running an aquatic adventure this year, and I think it's going to come up.

The GM answered:

>It doesn't change the physical properties of the item, it's only an illusion that makes it look like something else. You cannot put your hand through it because it is not really a glove, it's a gun that looks like a glove.

Oh, well that seems pretty useless then. Sasuga, Paizuri.

Do you really want one?

So, if the book doesn't say you can do a backflip, then you can't...?

Convince him through refluffing.

> Get the firearm strapped to a glove.
> Glamor it into an accessory.
> Obtain punching-gun.

If an illusion can do damage, I don't see why it can't be worn. Illusions are not just holograms.

yes

Reposting to ask again, but

>Zodiac's Tattoos
>Benefit: Covering your body in these intricate tattoos etched by your own hand, you gain the ability to have your skin enchanted with armor special abilities as though it was a suit of +1 leather armor. You cannot have a total bonus of armor special abilities higher than +6. You cannot use this ability to add any armor special abilities that add a flat gp amount to their cost instead of a bonus equivalent.

I've already used this feat to add Fortification to my skin, and the GM is houseruling the Brawling property back down to a +1. After I add that in, what should I go for next?

Ok, cool. I'm a fairly new GM and I figured adding little tidbits like that would be fun, but I could easily see it being one of those "Don't make players avoid using items for no reason" situations.

Thanks all!

So one of the complaints about Strange Aeons I've seen in these threads, aside from the amnesia part, opening "cutscene" and "can't run horror in Pathfinder because this that and those", is about the villain of the first book, Tatterman. Why do people dislike him? What about him is bad?

So I noticed the Fiendish Wings and Fiendish Serpent feats from Book of the Damned have a prereq of "Non-native outsider with the evil subtype". There's no way a player can qualify for these right? Why make them? If they were done specifically for NPCs/Monsters, why? Couldn't you just make one with a climb/swim/fly speed without using a feat?

Should I unnerf the Jingasa? The new version is awful, but I'm concerned that the old one is so good that everyone in the party will be wearing one.

The SoP Illuminator's handbook has special magic glowing tattoos and ink.

Fuel your own SICK RAVE PARTIES!

>tips jingasa
That is basically what happened prenerf. Fates favored then wait till you get your hat and maybe a lucky rock later. Alternatively, some divine folks like inquisitors using it on their luck bonus spells.
You could also get the crit negation through other means, like fortified armor training.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/inscribe-magical-tattoo-item-creation/

>guy is devout Zon-Kuthon worshipper
>guy is a complete asshole
>go on giant quest to redeem Zon-Kuthon solely as a giant middle finger to asshole
good character motivation y/n

It's petty and hilarious, so yeah it's great

> Trying to turn Zon-Kuthon back into Dou-Bral
I mean...maybe? Depends really if the DM would give you avenues to pursue that goal. Otherwise it'll just be your character going "I'm gonna do it!" and the ZK worshiper just being kinda peeved, which is your goal I suppose, but not the ideal way to go about it. Speaking of, how would you do it? I mean he turned out the way he did out of jealousy towards Shelyn, right?

turn him into a cute anime girl

DM said he'd work our backstories/desires into the campaign so I imagine it's okay
>Speaking of, how would you do it? I mean he turned out the way he did out of jealousy towards Shelyn, right?
supposedly he got mindfucked by aliens after getting in a fight with her, so I imagine it'd be something along the lines of "find Dou-Brals lost essence in space" or something and bring it back

Sounds fine then, I'd probably just check with the DM, just in case. If only because it affects another player, which adds a layer of nuance to it in my opinion.

Would you character work with Shelyn's clergy to do it?

What are the limits of a diety's perception in Pathfinder? Will Zon-Kuthon detect this in advance?

I hope FotJR has an enjoyable session tonight.

This may seem like a dumb question, but are Wildblood bloodlines compatible with Sphere Sorcerer? Or do the rulings related to Spheres and the Arcana make them incompatible?

so where's all the pdfs about kung fu monks/setting?

I don't see why they wouldn't be. There is an option to trade out arcana for a bonus talent, but otherwise spheres doesn't interact with bloodlines.

How do you go about doing a sword and pistol build? The picaroon archetype for swashbuckler looks kinda horrible, and you'd be playing a swashbuckler, and taking a single level of gunslinger before going fighter feels underwhelming damage wise, but takin 5 levels of gunslinger and then going full fighter feel like it'd make your build come online too late. Furthermore, if you're not playing a tiefling it feels like you'll have great trouble reloading your firearm, especially since you can't really use gun twirling with it like you could with double pistols.

Privateer Warlord

>be android
>immune to vacuum
>space mission
>take off suit
>pee into space

Nice! Now I just need some means to keep my Bloodline progressing, and this build will be perfect.

Then again, considering how much I can emulate the Draconic bloodline with Talents, I probably won't need to.

Trench Fighter archetype with Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Firearms) (or without the feat if the setting is Guns Everywhere). There's also the Savage Technologist Barbarian but that only nets you Dex to damage while raging.

Haven't looked into privateer yet, all I know is that I really dislike gambits. I'll have a look at it though. Any recommendations?

Does the Cleric beat out the Oracle or are they about the same?

Which one is more fun?

Can magic items be upgraded? Like if I have a +1 weapon and want a +2 one, can I spend 6000 gp to have it upgraded instead of having to sell it and buy a new one?

Depends on what you want to do. Oracles are more diverse in their roles because of how mysteries work.

Clerics and Oracles are just divine Wizards and Sorcerers. Do you want to be a divine Wizard, or a divine Sorcerer?

Casting wise, prepared usually beats out spontaneous. Mysteries give you more options if you want to specialize though, and are generally pretty neat.

If you're cool with your sword being your pistol too, legendary gunslinger has rules for how to combine them.

If you're not crazy on warlords you can apply the privateer template to stalkers too
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/classes/martial-class-templates/privateer-template

I'd say probably the Oracle. Mysteries and Curses are really flavorful and give you a lot of variety in how you play your character, you get more skill points, and spontaneous casting doesn't hurt you as much as a sorcerer because your list has fewer good spells on it.

Mixed Assault and Impossible Reload talents from the Duel-Wielding Sphere in SoM makes it possible

>Impossible Reload:You can reload without needing a free hand. In addition, you treat ranged weapons you are wielding which can be wielded in one hand as light weapons for the purpose of determining what penalties you take while fighting with two weapons.

>Mixed Assault: Whenever you wield a melee weapon in one hand and a ranged weapon in the other, you don’t provoke attacks of opportunity from firing or reloading while threatened. If you successfully attack two different creatures more than 5 ft. apart from each other in the same round you make an attack using the attack action, you gain a +2 circumstance bonus on damage rolls against each creature until the end of your next turn; for every 5 base attack bonus you have, this bonus increases by +2.

If 3pp is on the table, Mixed Combat is a must have as soon as you qualify.

A lot of draconian bloodline can be gained through alteration, and maybe destruction and protection.

I usually prefer spontaneous casting due to the lack of consistent rest or combat, which makes preparing spells a nightmare for me really
The curses are nice, but all the paizo ones are fucking boring as shit

I think I'm going to try to make a Child Cursed little girl oracle in one of these pfg meme games

> but all the paizo ones are fucking boring as shit
> Dual Cursed Deaf/Song Bound Oracle not interesting as fuck
Bruh

>The curses are nice, but all the paizo ones are fucking boring as shit
I like Haunted, had a GM who had it fuck with me in various little ways. It's also well designed in that it has real benefits for real drawbacks.

So is Draconic Bloodrager the best way to go into Dragon Disciple, or is the slower caster progression actually big enough a reason not to go that way?

You went through all of these and found them boring as shit?

archivesofnethys.com/OracleCurses.aspx

DM here, if someone wanted to do it I’d certainly be amused, but I obviously probably shouldn’t myself. For now at least.

Bloodrager is definitely the best, although Sorc into DD has gotten better thanks to those prestige feats.

You end up with an even better strength progression than normal bloodraging.

I was thinking more along the lines of a classic pirate, cutlass in one hand, pistol in the other.

I haven't looked much into stalked, I did like the look of the brutal stalker archetype though (Albeit obviously not for this build).

We usually run PoW instead of spheres, although I must say, those look pretty nice to have.

Pathfinder Androids still need breath and shit.

Which prestige feats?

I thought so too, but I looked it up and in Starfinder they specifically don't.

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of maybe using a different class instead of Sphere Sorcerer now. Maybe Elementalist or a Soulfire Master Thaumaturge. Then I just need an appropriate Tradition for it

Don't let the player charakters not have motivations.
Let them decide on the driving motivation of their charakters. And then base the campaign on their motivations.
Then they can't go off doing just whatever because it would be against their charakters core motivation.

motivation, motivation, motivation...

>Or do the rulings related to Spheres and the Arcana make them incompatible?
Depends on the ruling. You apply them when they make sense. The destruction book gave blasts descriptors and I'm sure most GM's would be fine Illusion sphere benefiting from certain Arcana too. Ask your GM.

Are there any feats that let you take a SoM combat talent without being an SoM class. Like how SoP had Basic Magical Training.

He's talking about Favored Prestige Class or something iirc.

>We usually run PoW instead of spheres, although I must say, those look pretty nice to have.
Just as a heads up, Mixed Combat IS a PoW feat.

Ahh, I read that wrong. I thought it said Mixed Assault, as the spheres talent. In that case that would certainly be something to look into to alleviate the hassle of reloading.

What's your concept?

Extra Combat Talent gives you an additional sphere or talent. Not sure if you have to take it twice, though (once to gain the sphere and once to get the talent).

Ah. For a moment I though he was talking about something good.

I think you need to have a tradition to take that.