World maps general

Post all things maps Veeky Forums
Favorite game/world maps. Your own OC. Software and tools you prefer. Etc

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasticmaps.com/2015/12/how-to-draw-top-down-mountains-on-a-map/
youtube.com/watch?v=K11hJ6D1Vm8&t=363s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(geometry)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaunay_triangulation)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram)
imgur.com/a/Q2hu8
imgur.com/a/upNrk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomonic_projection
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i fucking love this what program or how did you did this?
this is mine

Sad to say its not mine. just really like the artist.
See bottom left corner

I've converted my Inkarnate map to a black-and-white outline that I can print out or at least more easily edit. Now the real madness begins: drawing political boundaries, mapping trade goods, figuring out race and language spread...

Complete map. I only need to add settlements and political borders.

This is a rough draft I'm working on. I've never done any maps before, so I figured start smaller instead of a complete worldmap.

Looks like a disfigured head. I like it.

Op here
This is my taking a crack at making an old timey map... currently shit but for a rough draft. Eh
I used donjon fractal world generator and copied land masses to paint. extremely getho I know

Hey it works! Looks like a good way of generating fjords

Anyone have any ideas on how to age up their world map? make it look like an antique and such

more or less done, some details could be fixed and more things added as I develop them but it's good enough for now

the coastlines and terrain is done with photoshop and wilbur, and then all the map elements added in illustrator

you could look on cgtextures or somewhere for some decent aged paper textures and overlay them
if you can't find any good ones then what you can do is take a sheet of paper and fold it up a bunch/rub dirt on it/spill coffee on it/etc until it looks good and then scan the paper and overlay it on the map

whoa I love the intricacy of your city placement on this one

maps up

I want to know more about this place.

space lapland

Political map over Gaia style map with Climate zones.

No city placement yet.

And my main setting, Zhagyra.

There's a thread over on /hr/ that you might like:

Noice. Thanks.

Thank you so much this is just what I needed right now

Hey guys
This is my newly created landmass,
Question is, how do I draw mountains and geography on it? Would really like some help.

Here is my map in progress. Still working on the geography and climate, since they are so interlinked. Red lines and numbers are latitude.

I'm kind of worried that the desert is too far north, its supposed to be sandy type desert in the interior (think Sahara). The mountains are there to make a rain shadow but it should be cooler I suspect. Plus the eastern end of it probably curls too far north, what do you guys think?

At this scale I want to only show the major rivers but do I need to put in some more? Seems to be very few.

Still thinking up a way to do the transition between the wetter western temperate area and the eastern steppe look a bit better.

Any comments or edits or additions are very welcome. In a previous thread an user pointed out that the east (lighter green) would be steppe which was great as it added a load of variety to things and sent me off in a different direction with the culture that will inhabit that area.

I found this a while ago, hope it helps.

Woah, thanks!
Would like some other suggestions as well.

Also this link I found a while back.
fantasticmaps.com/2015/12/how-to-draw-top-down-mountains-on-a-map/

This guy is literally everything I need, but it seems he's no longer active.. anyone knows what happened to him?

Very nice, that hand drawn?

Do they make nice sweaters in Greater Aran?

from my d&d compaign

Nice, what programs did you use?

I am learning how to do maps myself in Photoshop, this is my take on a local keep. The dungeon was generated via. Donjon, a tool i can highly recommend.
Also, we don't talk about version 1.

shit at everything so I used inkarnate

Someone got a hand-drawn map of Warhammer Fantasy from their friend and posted i in the general a while back.

Looks dank but how do you get in?

Looks a little like Scotland if you tilt your head a bit.

Whats at the source!?

Location sounds like an interesting location

what do you guys think of my world map?

I used this tutorial: youtube.com/watch?v=K11hJ6D1Vm8&t=363s
And added a couple of ink smears I found on google Images, as for the map of the keep it was generated in Donjon.

Inkarante

I think he meant that there doesn't seem to be any exterior doors.

Reminder: Spheres > planes.

the difference being?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphere
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(geometry)
It's pretty straightforward.

found the scandinavian

No I mean into the dungeon. The map looks good, but there don't seem to be any entrances or exits to the whole thing.

this guy gets it

Magical anomaly where an ancient sorcerer blew himself up, spookifying the forests below

I'm just gonna post a couple of my favorite creations.

Pic related is my standard Not!Sengoku Japan fantasy world. It's very popular with my players since they're all weebs to one degree or another, but weebs interested in the historical Sengoku period, so it's fun.

Previous pic was a Darksun/ Pirates of Dark Water hybrid setting about psychic crystals, living ships, and biological weirdness. Would love to run it some time.

This map covers roughly 7000 miles West to East, and is an attempt to combine 4 older settings into a new one. The Not!Sengoku setting also exists here in some way, judging by the easternmost islands.

Top-down map of the Kill Six Billion Demons setting, the City of Throne at the heart of the multiverse. This was just to see if I could match the colors of the original, non-map picture of the place.

A galactic map for a silly, Buzz Lightyear style space opera.

And we'll end with a strange discworld I tried to apply real world physics and worldbuilding to. It was autistic, yeah.

Rate or don't rate, I don't mind. I just love maps and map threads and wanted to contribute something. 90% of my maps were deleted when my harddrive crashed, so if I recover any more I'll post them.

You should use tracing paper or transparency film so you can overlay the various types of maps for trade and such if you want to do it by hand. You can buy a cheap box of those at hobby or office supply stores.

Voila: A map of the world, showing all major trade routes! It's up to the GM to decide which tiles represent land and which represent ocean.

70% water, 30% land--and 100% cool!

Or you can just make abstract-art wallpapers.

Procedure for this one:
1. Place (but don't draw) points in random positions on a sphere.
2. Find (but don't draw) all edges in the Delaunay triangulation of those points. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaunay_triangulation)
3. Use black pixels to draw the edges that are in the relative-neighborhood graph of those points.
4. For the edges that are NOT in the relative-neighborhood graph, instead use gray pixels to draw the corresponding edges in the Voronoi tessellation of the points. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram)
5. Draw the randomly-placed points in black with white centers.

Posted in another thread but might as well post them here too. Some Roll 20 maps and assets that I made recently

imgur.com/a/Q2hu8

imgur.com/a/upNrk

"It now comprises over 3200 individual eight by ten inch panels. Its execution, in acrylic, marker, colored pencil, ink, collage, and inkjet print on heavy paper, is dictated by the interplay between an elaborate set of rules and randomly generated instructions."

>doing all that work for a verisimilitude-killing randomly generated dungeon

Why is this allowed?

I made this. What do you guys think of it?

For context, the land is a dried-up inner sea. The surface of this once-generic fantasy world is a blasted and lifeless wasteland, and the oceans shrank and blackened until this landmass rose out of it. Places like these are the last habitable zones of the world.

My friend drew my world's map for me a few years ago

Im sure you could do better than that.

Here's what I'm working on

inkarnate/10, I don't think inkarnate ever makes good looking maps

>inkarnate/10, I don't think inkarnate ever makes good looking maps

Fair enough, I'm just a shit artist and prefer writing anyway so I just make do with what I can.

Looks cool.

embarrassing names 2bh

That's Super Mario World.

What is this?

Heres the map ive been working on, this is from a while back but since then i havent added much else apart from a little blurb in the border and a scale.

That would be weaponized autism, brother user. Don't do that.

What would be the best format for a world map of the inside of a hollow planet?

Neat, user. I really like hand-drawn maps and the colours are nice and vibrant. 9/10 would play campaign.

Any major map projection. After all, they only project the SURFACE of a sphere; mathematically, the outside and inside surface of a spherical shell coincide exactly, so there's no change to the algorithm. All that would change is the distortion directions, but really that's negligible for Veeky Forums purposes.

Alternatively, you could use a set of gnomic projections. See the diagram at the bottom: it's just the 'perspective' from the centre of the Earth.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomonic_projection

the lower right of the map, Ritiris. im confused by the geography. is it a huge depression or highlands. the way your rivers work looks like its a depression. If it is, where is the outlets for the lakes to the sea? unless its a huge caspian-sea style system.

The thing is I want to be able to show what can be seen on the horizon with the land curving up, and even in the "sky."

whipped up my first regional map today

world map (this is very unfinished), brightened to accommodate genetically unfit eyelets

waaaaaaaaay to dark

You can see the land masses were generated by an algorithm and not tectonic or volcanic movement.

Not-quite-set-in-stone map for an upcoming horror-themed game.

I would personally loved to have hand-drawn it by my scanner is broken and my tablet hasn't been taken out of storage in ages.

...That's not the right file.

Looking for a map I saw in a previus map thread. It is a planet map. The planet is mostly desert, but with a large central lake/ocean. There were some location names on the map, and an indicator for the planet's rotation/axis in one of the corners. If anyone could help, then it would be much appreciated.

Tried handdrawing a part of my world map, thoughts?

It's cursor drawn, not generated. Tectonics are not useful because they have to be considered whenever removing or adding large amounts of land inside a continent, you'd have to draw a map and flesh it out as opposed to drawing then fleshing then drawing in an infinite loop.

Take your black-and-white landmass and dump it in Wilbur. Run a few erosion cycles. Export heightmap. You now have realistic-looking islands.

If its a dried up sea it would be salt flats and not really habitable. If it was once a freshwater lake it would fix that I think.

The geography is very odd, I assume magical in origin?

I think it looks pretty nice.

It looks quite nice but I reckon it could do with stronger contrast, it seems hard to read to me.

That's really nice, what did you use to make it?

Its pretty good user but I'm not sure if some areas are mountain or sheer cliffs.