Weekend Warcraft Lore General

BEGONE (UNDEAD) THOT Edition

Discuss the lore and story of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium: Contains official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version! Also contains the official Warcraft Chronicles volumes 1 and 2.
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

Previous thread

Proper femnelf ears when

First for N'zoth did nothing wrong.

Grommash or Orgrim for Old Horde's biggest hunk?

On the other hand, the Drakkari did everything wrong.

Would you be mad if she gave five other people a handjob/fingerbang at the same time as you?

>Regularly fight amongst themselves
>Betray their own to join the Scourge
>Kill and consume their loa for power, for which they suffer divine punishment
>Still fall to the Scourge

LET'S GET THIS SHIT STARTED
>The ziggurat of Zul'Drak

>Year of Our Lord 2018
>having a sliver of sympathy for nelves

Weirdly they actually did seem pretty chill, they even made friends with a bunch of Wolvar that they could have easily wiped out.

sry I still live in 2004-2007

Nah not really.

Handjob is a handjob.

Except no they weren't. They were intensely savage even by most troll standards. I mean, who the fuck eats their gods and claims to be of sound mind?

That's the thing, it's said they were kicked out of the Amani for being Savage, but right up until the Scourge arived they had a bunch of friendly wolvar living in Zuk'drak proper and didn't seem to be at war with the Furbolg to the south.

(And if the populations of the WC3 mercenary camps are accurate they were chill with Ogres that had found their way to Northrend too.

They ate their own gods out of desperation because the Scourge was pounding on their doorstep.

Crazy move, but they were kind of running low on options.

Because they were too engrossed with fighting each other.

I think the Drakkari being "savage even for Troll standards" and "kicked out of the other tribes" is old lore, possibly RPG (and thus outright not canon).

It's not mentioned in Chronicle. They, the Amani and Gurubashi are all mentioned in the same breath as empires that split of the Zandalari.

Couldn't they have just asked the gods to fight the Scourge for them?

Or would that have meant Scourge Loa?

Wasn't the "eat your gods" thing all part of Drakkuru's keikaku?

>I think the Drakkari being "savage even for Troll standards" and "kicked out of the other tribes" is old lore, possibly RPG (and thus outright not canon).
Didn't Lands of Mystery also have Alliance/Explorer's League forces taking cover in Drak'tharon keep as guests? Or am I just crazy?

Was it? Haven't played through Zul'drak in awhile.

I know there was originally going to be a Gundrak raid (one of the many things in Wrath that were scrapped, if not as disappointing a loss as Azjol-Nerub). I'm wondering if Drakuru was being set up to be its final boss. He felt kind of wasted as a quest mob.

I don't think so. Drakuru's master stroke was duping the PCs into clearing Drak'tharon Keep and accelerating the rate at which the Scourge can invade Zul'Drak. For his efforts, he was rewarded by Arthas with new power and his own flying necropolis, all because Drakuru hedged his bets on the Scourge winning out against the Drakkari.

And he would've been right, if the PCs hadn't rolled through and kicked EVERYONE'S ass.

WAT BE SNEK LOL

Don't tell me you didn't want to know, user.

>duping the PCs into clearing Drak'tharon Keep and accelerating the rate at which the Scourge can invade Zul'Drak
Which is funny, because Drak'tharon Keep - by the time the PCs invade - was already taken over by the Scourge.

You do realize that Blizzard admitted that there was literally nothing to the snake other than being a neat visual?

>don't remember anything from my Chronicle 1+2 reads
how do you recall things without consistent memorization effort, anons

Did they? That's a shame.

Wouldn't be surprised if they reference the questions at some point though.

I read books that aren't trash. Chronicles is garbage and may as well be non-canon for the games I run and play in.

Look fighting the Burning Legion is very stressful so you got to have some way to unwind

It was in the process of being overrun. There were still some significant Drakkari holdouts, like that dinosaur enclosure and of course Tharon'ja at the pinnacle. You gotta remember, adventurers running in there and clearing out both the Scourge and the Trolls is still a net victory for the Scourge.

>tfw Horde RP is filled with Ice Trolls and Amani claiming to be mercenaries while shit talking Horde races in the same breath.

Alliance suffers with Scarlet RPers, Horde got the fucking Ice Troll / Amani shit.

>I'm wondering if Drakuru was being set up to be its final boss.
Nah. The bottom floors of Zul'Drak are about dealing with the Scourge sieging the ziggurat and helping the Argent Crusade and Ebon Blade make some headway. The upper tiers of the citadel are untainted, but now you have to deal with the Drakkari holdouts directly, who are consuming their gods to claim their power. You get quests from the loa and the Zandalari to stop this Drakkari profanity against their gods and even get some payback against the trolls.

I remember that quest where you meet not-Hakkar - Quetz'lun - in the afterlife because her followers already killed her, so she sends you to murder and hex three of her traitorous priests. One priest spins off into the sky, one priest is frozen in place and shatters, and the third priest is immolated alive and leaves a charred howling husk.

what's wrong with roleplaying outside of the bounds of game mechanics? (unless they're sitting in Stormwind while doing it)

I played an ice troll. I liked the concept. I sure as fuck didn't hang out in Orgrimmar, though, what the fuck?

The Ice Trolls and Amani are kind of annoying but I'll take them over the fucking Grimtotem tauren any day.

Both factions have their own horseshit to deal with, a topic we discussed last week.

I think the blood elf death knights running around claiming to be high elf paladins are worse

>One priest spins off into the sky, one priest is frozen in place and shatters, and the third priest is immolated alive and leaves a charred howling husk

I forgot about that

What about the Dragonmaw or Blackrock orc RPers?

>(NOT A DEATH KNIGHT)

Ice Trolls and Amani Trolls trying to claim to be part of the Horde. It's the same as Scarlet roleplayers trying to claim they're part of the Alliance and parade around Stormwind in full outfit.

Yup, during a Blizz Q&A at Blizzcon 2011.

Jesse Cox: "In the Gundrak dungeon, there is an area with the stone sentinel guys, and if you look over the cliff, there's a big wiggly snake tail. And I have been bothered by that forever because there is nothing that massive and snakey in the, uh... So with these questions in the past, I've seen Chris answer with 'We'll see, I'll look into it,' so I brought a screenshot and blew it up. So, you said there was something driving the trolls..."

Chris Metzen: "It ain't that."

Jesse: "Okay, so then what is this giant snake tail?"

Chris: "Clearly it's a super critical story point in World of Warcraft, you just haven't found out yet. That's the first sign of the return of the Titans. And Medivh will be leading them. And Thrall is going to leave Aggra and start dating Jaina. Just kidding. I don't know what the hell that snake thing is, but it's really cool.

Dave Kosak: "Sometimes really cook stuff appears in our game and then we kinda scramble to figure out why it would be there because it's cool. Artists love to just do cool stuff and so, yeah, sometimes we miss something. Like something cool's there, and I dunno... it's a snake."

Chris: "Welcome to developing video games."

I've never roleplayed, so it's interesting to see all the many people who do in these threads and their distaste with certain trends.

I've only rarely seen unironic "Garrosh did nothing wrong" among regular Hordies but apparently it's a big thing among roleplayers.

Well for Scarlets, sympathizes is one thing, but the entire Scarlet Apparatus was word-of-god exterminated in Cataclysm after already getting wiped out once in Vanilla and again in Wrath. They've been genocided three times already.

>It's the same as Scarlet roleplayers trying to claim they're part of the Alliance and parade around Stormwind in full outfit.
Some of the general public may still be convinced the Scarlet Crusade are still doing good work. Neither the Alliance nor the Church of the Holy Light have formally disavowed the Scarlets, and they let them continue to operate mostly out of ignorance. Just because the PC knows the Scarlets are all fuckers doesn't mean Jed Fishmonger in the Redridge Mountains knows.

And yet they keep coming back.

Dragonmaw orcs have been canonically part of the Horde since Vanilla. Those dudes in Wetlands won't attack you.

Blackrock is weird though. They're basically the Horde version of the Scarlet Crusade. However the AU shit has given plenty of "justification" for that crap now.

Personality-wise neither of those groups top Warsong RPers for sheer faggotry as far as Orc RP is concerned.

In the RP community you usually get the SWJ trope player who plays some extreme concept or outright dyes their hair and becomes an Amani or runs around screaming "#NotMyWarchief". WoD was plagued by Alternative Universe Orcs and even today you'll see the occassional AU Blackrock shitter hanging around the Orgrimmar inn shittalking elves and defending femboy Icetrolls (using the female model).

Actually, sometimes it is very hard to find a troll who DOES roleplay a Darkspear.

The original Blackrocks in the mountain before the WoD revamp claimed to be the true Horde and didn't subscribe to Thrall's Horde. Far as they could tell, there was only one Warchief seat, and Thrall should not be sitting there.

No. The Church hates the Scarlet Crusade, the Alliance has fought the order in Northrend and sent adventurers to wipe out the monastery.

also in Legion the Ebon Blade not only kills everyone in the Scarlet Monastery, but also raises Whitemane from the dead

>femboy Icetrolls (using the female model)
I'm sorry, what? I refuse to believe someone would play a soyboy/twink troll. At least they're not Darkspear.

>Actually, sometimes it is very hard to find a troll who DOES roleplay a Darkspear.

I did.

But that's because I found RP to be the most enjoyable when I RPd as an actual player character. According to canon, all Troll PCs are Darkspear and those are plenty cool enough for me. Coming up with a long list of madeup bullshit for my "backstory" is nowhere near as fun as reminiscing about collecting Quillboar winkies in the Barrens. In my little RP addon I always stress "Always In Character" because I want to make it clear the guy sitting at the Wyvern's Tail is the same guy shitposting in Trade Chat.

Not for the past 3 expansions. BfA has changes for the Undercity, so it's one last desperate bid for relevance. Otherwise Poochie's gone.

>it is very hard to find a troll who DOES roleplay a Darkspear
I think that's probably just because the Darkspear are incredibly bland and uninspired. They're basically trolls that are famous for not doing the stuff that all the other trolls do. They're basically anti-troll trolls.

>Dragonmaw
That's not true, though. They're hostile to both.
>t. private server player

You do realize that even back in Vanilla, Alliance players were getting quests from the clergy in Southshore to go murder the Scarlets for being a bunch of awful fucks?

If I, a non-roleplayer, would have to guess, I'd say the reason few roleplay Darkspear is the Darkspear get little lore in comparison to the more villainous tribes.

We get Troll dungeon after Troll dungeon that give the Amani, Drakkari, Gurubashi, and Zandalari a mountain of lore but the Darkspear lore is mostly regulated to outside novels and short stories-and not very many of them.

It's like the problem with the Wandering Isle Panderen. We got a shit ton of lore on the mainland Pandaren but after they join the factions the Huojin and Tushi are pretty much gone from the plot.

Yup, there are trolls who do - it has recently gotten very popular Alliance side with a lot of humans playing females as femboys.

Basically ERP has ruined roleplay.

In Vanilla they seemingly tacitly approved. There was a Scarlet envoy in the church, and a few others scattered around the world in Alliance settlements. Some dudes may have been willing to pay you to deal with them, but the Alliance overall was far more forgiving. This is back when the factions were far less centralized. One ques tgiver in Stormwind even asks if you're going to do business with the Venture Co. in Stonetalon Mountains, implying they have some legitimate business relations with the Alliance.

As a Roleplayer, I can tell you the primary motivation is attention-seeking. WoW is not a good medium for RP. It's basically just freeform forum faggotry with fancy animated avatars. This is why you also get people showing up as nonexistant player classes like "spellbreaker" or "elementalist" or as hostile races like Yaungol or Gilbin.

The RP in WoW is mostly limited to "let me tell you about my character" and "please, let me let you tell me about your character".

I know, but this was lore from vanilla that ended with the original Ashbringer quest. Things have changed and the Alliance are against the crusade, especially when it comes down to them parading in their cities.

Say what you will, one of the most entertaining walk-ups I've ever seen was a dude playing an Ogre Mercenary using the costume shit and actually pulling it off pretty beautifully.

Eh, I suppose that makes sense.

I've been interested in getting into roleplay before but I always decide against it when I see most of it just seems to be "people in taverns talking".

Seems a tad bit dull.

Oh definitely, I think that's just where the mindset mistakenly comes from. Now granted, you see Scarlet refugees in Dalaran in Legion, so maybe the disdain for them has cooled down since their faction is basically irrelevant and they aren't chimping out, I don't know. I basically lost any interest in roleplaying a Scarlet Crusade member after what Cataclysm did to them.
>"Oh we'll make the undead haters undead. It's so fucking clever I'm a genius."

It can be fun in a sort of meta way. Laughing at cringe and all that. Plus sometimes you meet the guy who isn't a fun-hating faggot and if you play off that then you can have a good time.

My favorite character to play in there was a mouthy female BElf rogue who just antagonized people. Then when they try to "fight" me I'd just roll with the punches and let them kick my ass. One guy even gave me a rare mount for letting him break my nose (though it's possible that was because he thought I was a girl IRL.)

Well they are Crimson Pilgrims, dudes who have promised to find redemption from their crimes in he Scarlet Onslaught. That, and they're walking around a neutral city rather than an Alliance one.

Hell, a small batch of priest followers in Legion are Scarlets who turned their back on the Crusade for finally seeing through their bullshit and were about to be executed for "heresy." Scarlets are still relevant, if only tangentially.

Eh, Live Strat turning into secondary UD Strat after the Crusade loses was one of the more acceptable changes that Cata made. It's not like Strat was going to be able to hold-out forever. Honestly, the Crusade leadership being there instead of Hearthglen or Tyr's Hand never made any fucking sense to me.

>Dragonmaw orcs have been canonically part of the Horde since Vanilla. Those dudes in Wetlands won't attack you.
They absolutely would, And still do in live if you fly there.

Also I like the glowing yellow eyes WoD gave the Dragonmaw but they removed the Dragon Tattoos from their arms.

>Actually, sometimes it is very hard to find a troll who DOES roleplay a Darkspear.
Yeah there's really not much balance.
At least play like, a fucking Shatterspear since they're ALSO Jungle trolls and Horde Members (Even if Cata turned them from relatively peaceful dancers into sadistic asshats who signed on with Garrosh to torture random Elves.)
Marjhan deserved better.

The TCG costume you can't get anymore or the one-use 10 minute costume from Dire Maul?

>One ques tgiver in Stormwind even asks if you're going to do business with the Venture Co. in Stonetalon Mountains, implying they have some legitimate business relations with the Alliance.
Huh, that's really cool.

>the Dark Horde is part of the New Horde
Jaina pls

>Marjhan deserved better.
Better than that fapfic where Abbendis loses her faith and flees only to get turned into a broodmother for Scourge spiders.

Daily reminder that Blizzard is gonna Kerrigan the shit out of Sylvanas.

I can see the forums already.

Sylvanas becoming some redeemed god would be the best outcome, if not to make so many Alliance kids enrage their diapers.

>faction bait

KEEP THREADS NICE

It's a weird situation, there were certainly Orcs from the camps that were Blackrock Clan and didn't regroup with the Blacktooth Grin and Dragonmaw clans plus their Ogre and Troll allies to form the Dark Horde and instead left with Thrall. I mean Eitrigg, his son, and the Saurfang family were proof of that.

Then there were apparently attempts by Eitrigg and his son to find a few non-shitty Blackrock while also stopping the second Dark Horde invasion of Redridge. Then the Dark Horde started getting really thrashed and ran off to join the Garroshstapo but some of them may have taken the chance to ACTUALLY start being good again, or joined the resistance for self-serving reasons like some of the Warlocks.

So yeah there were many Blackrock in the Horde but they generally didn't identify with Rend's Horde or ended up dead.

As long as we don't have to do RvB shit on her orders I don't really care HOW they get rid of her.

I mean at least one faction of Grimtotem did turn on Magatha.
Given Hex has been a thing since WC3, where is the fucking Frog Loa?

On Zandalar.

He'll be giving out a frog mount.

Nice. I do hope that he has some sort of challenge that's like trying to fight that old LBRS mass-hex boss.

So we know the Warcraft lore turned to shit at a certain point.

The question is, how much shittier can it get?

What would it take to redeem it?

Pic related

In Zandalar, apparently.

>The question is, how much shittier can it get?

Void Elves and their void planet home. I had high hopes for Alleria, but she's been written into a retarded void woman.

I mean, Legion's basically the Last Jedi of WoW. So look for what else Kathleen Kennedy can do to Star Wars, because I have little doubt that Activision-Blizzard will find similar shittiness to drag Azeroth through.

Hell, Azeroth is now a Titan Egg. That might even hatch soon. And that's a completely factual, unironic statement. We've hit rock bottom, found a portal to a strange new universe of shit, and are diving deeper again.

isn't he the guy that brings up Alliance leaders being dreadlords every blizzcon?

>Azeroth is now a Titan Egg
That will never not be a retarded idea.

>kick up a Starter Account
>level to 20
>specifically RP as "the guy they get to clear out murlocs/quilboar/insert single-digit trash here while you bigshots save the world"
>so a grumpy janitor with, at best, a blue sword

On a scale of "don't" to "drown yourself in the circle of stars," how bad an idea is this?

Orgim ez

>tfw no qt azeroth titan to worship

Jaina only. He's the one who started the meme.

I think he for one hates Jaina's turn to aggression because he's an avid Thrall/Jaina shipper.

Orgrim was everything I wanted Cata Garrosh to be

>troll tusks
kys famalam

>Titan
>a troll
>when trolls had nothing to do with the Titans

Well, to be fair, Thrall/Jaina is superior to Jaina/that blue dragon and Thrall/that fucking mag'har

That's not a troll because she's got regular human hands.

>Azeroth
>not looking like the first natural race developed on her

Or at least, they are now. I'm really worried Uldir will retcon Trolls (and thus elves) into YET ANOTHER Titanforged race.

I thought it was gonna be 'Titans accidentally a not!Hakkar while trying to do SCIENCE on Old God flesh, trolls found it and got CORRUPTED?'

Trolls are the original natives of Azeroth, the Titan of Argus takes a similar visage to Draenei. Dark Trolls became Night Elves by sleeping next to Azeroths magic blood water. So its perfectly reasonable for her to be a mix of Troll and Elf.

They're natural TO a titan though.

And yeah she's got a standard titanforged finger count.

>I thought it was gonna be 'Titans accidentally a not!Hakkar while trying to do SCIENCE on Old God flesh, trolls found it and got CORRUPTED?'
Blech.

Yeah, but Uldir has a lot of Trollish looking architecture in it and there's some concept art of what seems to be a Titan construct in Troll gear (not one that looks anything like a Troll though.)

At best they'll just say "Uldir inspired early Troll architecture", but I wouldn't put it past Blizzard to Titan up the Trolls.

But what if the Warsong Orc is a shaman that's kind of ashamed of his clan for what happened in Ashenvale and understands the idea of the Horde surpassing the clan in importance? I just didn't want to be another fucking Frostwolf that's just a green human.

Why aren't the trolls more popular?

Are you talking about the troll race as a whole, or do you mean a specific tribe?