Plantfolk thread

While working on my setting of post apocalyptic fantasy horror I realized how plant races are criminally underused, so I though why not see what is opinion on them is held by other anons.

So whatever it would be calm treants, charming and deadly dryads or vine monster of our deepers nightmares, let's talk about the planatfolk and there uses.

I quote like plantfolk. In my head, they are regenerative, need to spend time basking in the light, and are weak to fire.

It makes them play fairly differently from most, and lends to enjoyable situations like "Sorry guys, I don't have any rations, I'm a tree. Looks like you'll have to tough it for a while" and "jesus christ you guys, we've been underground for a week, I am dying".
Also, it comes up every time people take watch, which is another neat thing.

Also also also, since they have a little bit of regeneration, they can get warfed hard with missing limbs and cut off heads and shit. They're a plant, it'll grow back, but it shows off whatever villain you are using.

I think that weakness to fire is a bit...illogical for trees at least - trees are surprisingly resilient to fire in comparison to say...any animal, after all it's the trees the survive small forest fires and not the animals.
(Also living in house that is heated using wood I will say, setting wood on fire, just a huge slab even when dead and dry is no easy task)

It's thematic and good for game balance, so fuck it.

I think it would be better to go with weakness to frost and then resistance to fire even

sure, why not.

I wanna summon twig blights

That would be nice summon.

If you are playing a generic system like GURPS or Savage Worlds, it can be fun to give them plant based magic. So instead of a magic missile of arcane power, they grow an organ that sprays acid. Or instead of channeling postive energy, or healing power, they inject you with a regenerative herbal remedy.

Even in D&D you can do it, no one forbids you from describing the spell in interesting ways

I think i interesting thing you can do is let the plant folk have like evolution trees like. PC X grows thorns. Which would interest the player in to what their playing and make them feel cool

That is interesting idea and I like it

In my setting, elves became plantfolk after their civilization was destoyed by a plague of magical plants that turned them into beast-like plant zombies. eventually however both species fused via magical evolution, and they became sapient plantfolk who belive the ruins left by the old elves were actually built by the gods who created them

Pooh mushroom men I like that a lot. Good for hiding the parties tracks with big clouds of spores, which could also double up as a ranger attack. And they’re squashy, have you ever dropped a mushroom from a great height? Bruised but not broken.

*Ooooh
*Ranged

Sorry I’m a phone posting moron

It could be good party....what system could run plant and shroom people? (Well maybe warhammer fantays but dryads and orc party sounds odd)

Could you give creatures like But with far less branches

Gentle bump for plants.

>living/wet plant creatures resist fire but require regular and water
>dry twig creatures are weak to fire but need no sunlight

This is a tree

Anybody know any good sources for plant races/monsters? Cultural osmosis has failed me, because all I can think of are ents, dryads, and the Grass type from Pokemon.

Entlings, dryads, nymphs, treefolk, ents, sylvans often associate with so called wood/wild elves, but also the fey/faeries. And they usually come with pixies, sprites, will’o’wisps, and sometimes centaurs and satyrs. And everyone loves a cute little shambling mound. I feel like the trees are often animated, but the shrubbery and grasses are simpler creatures. I would love some defensive topiary in a sacred glade like big shaggy wolfhounds.

Am also a big fan of the comfy woods.

Nice tree

Well...I once almost wiped out a party with shrubs....so they can be guardians.

Mushroom people are best people.

But mushrooms are not plants...They are more like animals

u wot m8?

Well they don't do photosynthesis and are made from chitin, same stuff bugs are made off and they do eat...so shrooms need there own thread.

They are clearly more plantlike than insectlike.

Yes but corals are even more plant like and they are animls

that is true, but they are also more animallike than plantlike, they only share sedentary lifestyles and even that many mushrooms aren't exactly committed to

No they aren't. Coral is the shell that corals create to live inside. They're more like jellyfish and barnacles than plants.

So while these are not plants, but I will say for necromancers, shrooms are perfect

Symbiotic hive-mind mushrooms that use humans as a host for drones.

The only "plantfolk" in my setting are just dryads, beautiful women with a few signs that shows they aren't human, for example, plants will suddenly start growing and moving around the dryad, the wind shaking the trees will increase, the forest will go silent (but not in a creepy skinwalker way).

They primarily live in the old growth forests in the north, and are most common in the tribal kingdoms of the north where the forests are still old growth and haven't been cut down.

In winter they hibernate and they wake up in the summer.They sleep in trees, they are connected to one big tree in the forest that they choose. They're shy but will occasionally adopt a male lover.

Won't lie I merge treants and dryads, for a bit uglier dryads really as in my setting closest thing to them are female treants...which depending on age vary in size...As for sharing the tendency to adopt lovers....well I have one who is living next to a mechanical sentient construct and two are in a bit of odd relationship

I love me some planty types. Going to describe my setting’s ones if anyone cares.

>They grow like normal trees, until around five years old, when they’re sturdy enough to become motile.
>Younger specimens hibernate as trees through the summer, photosynthesising and growing. In autumn they undergo transformations to turn their tissues less wooden and more muscular. They become mobile, terrifying hunters that will rend trespassers to their turf limb from limb.
>Older specimens (>50 years) are large enough to stay mobile through the summer, and protect the territory as lumbering giants, before hibernating through the winter to recover soil nutrients.
>In times of great trouble, the hibernating population can be woken, although they will be weaker, and may damage themselves by the hurried transformation

Just random female treant monster

a setting I was working on had aggregate plant creatures that were primarily formed into a aggressive expansionist empire.

>Hat'kal are aggregate plant monsters. Their actual body consists of a little core (object in the middle) with a mask growing out of it. The mask contains the Hat'kal's sensory "organs" and the core contains their vitals. The core is able to manipulate plant life around it and build a body from the native flora.

>When a Hat'kal dies, assuming the core is not destroyed (for example, burned or mulched) lands in or on fertile ground, and does not come into contact with a fresh corpes, the core will take root and grow into a large tree. The trees produce seeds that are fertilized by the ambulatory Hat'kal. Thus, ambulatory Hat'kal are all considered male, and the trees are considered the females of the species. This also ties into the Hat'kal religion that is basically ancestor worship.

bump

good work