>he's going to be called Rex

>character's last name is basically noun+adjective

>Rex Brightspear
>golden Dragonborn paladin
>polearm master and sentinel
>valiant but a little arrogant
I see nothing wrong with this.

>Èlvëñ Ñä'més

It's fine if you toss a few in there, but your character's name shouldn't look like someone accidentally sneezed on it.

I'm going to play a morally ambiguous lesbian drow necromancer.

>elven name
>it's a pun in Quenya or Sindarin

My character's last name translated to "bent arrow" because he's not a "straight shooter"

THEN YOU ARE LOST

>Make a kobold cold/ice sorc
>"Fräust Draconis"
>Mfw nobody actually gives a fuck because they're so focused on making grimdark animu villain characters

What's wrong about it?

My first elf character was named Malthenlas (Golden Leaf) - I wanted to make basically Legolas but with the attitudes and mentality of Nevendaar elves with their ethernal golden autumn. My different elf was named Coru (cunning). My third elf character was named Tamlain McDanann

Is there any reference I'm supposed to get?

>My barbarian's name is [one syllable, caveman word]

>My gnome has 6 names

The setting is Forgotten Realms.
>Not having PCs and NPCs named after Deities and Famous People of the setting, something that would occur blatantly and indefinetly
>"Your son has the gift of The Art"
>"WOW! I'll call him Elminster."
There would be at least 35 Elminsters in your Wizard School.
Come on, could you imagine the amount of Tieflings named Asmodeus? It would be a running gang in the world, like assuming a muslim person is called Mohamed or chinese/japanese people is called Lee.

Every rebel Drow would rename himself Drizzt, a name forbidden in the Underdark forever.
Your acolyte had to deal with at least 7 different guys named Tyr in his training.

>my character has an out of place Roman-ish name despite it making no sense in the setting
>The lord of my house is named Quintus Liburnius Fabianus
>no, he’s from Westeros. It’s a Northern house

> japanese people
> called Lee.
> Japanese
No. Japanese are not usually called Lee. Koreans are - to the point when if it's not Lee, it's probably Kim. Japanese surnames are usually three-four syllable.

I hate names with apostrophes. I hate them. I hate them. I hate them so much I refuse to join campaigns that include characters with them. I can't stand seeing another Vex'Alia or G'abb or Sera'Thel.

You just proved my point, Oghma.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sir I don't think you know what a "cliche" is.

>My thief's name is Rob People

>anything with "raven" or "shadow" in it

Nice to meet you, edgy teenager! I hope you enjoy your stay in fantasyland. May you never fully grow out of it.

You know that apostrophe is a noise in some languages? You should definitely insist on pronouncing their name with the glottal stop it indicates, just to annoy them.

I'd allow it if they're a bug person without human vocal cords.

>May you never fully grow out of it.
>he said on Veeky Forums

What will you do if you meet a real person with an apostrophe in their name?

I don't even know how to pronounce the glottal stop.

What about dashes?
El-Or?
Dsundriik-Yal?

Like you pronounce it in Bri'ish.

Good lord, it makes those names sound utterly absurd.

Dashes are equally annoying, just in a different way.

>pleased to meet you, Eldashor

Clever. Well done, friend.

Then I guess you shouldn't go to (trigger warning) Hawai'i.

Kekd

>I get buttflustered over fantasy names
Bet you’re a fun guy to play games with

Just have an NPC dragonborn also named Rex and have people confuse them, leading to hijinks. It's a very common Dragonborn name, after all.

I made a frogman in Shadowrun who had literal froglike features due to SURGE. I named him Kermit Frauglin, and no one cared or complained.

One-up them by having two apostrophes together. Ael''ian.

>I'm going to make a thread
>it's going to be shit

>Not a German Shepherd
How is that a cliche?

Any retard two-word composite "epic" second name like "Dave Thunderhammer", might tolerate it if its a dwarf.

Better than a guy I play with that goes full Tomino with his names.

>here’s my dwarf Norsename Metal-bodypart

Meet my Dwarf monk, Rosie Goldenbuttocks.

>Playing a Judge Dredd inspired Paladin
>Named him Marshall Law
Names are hard man, cut me some slack

I name my elves russian and other slav names

I minmaxed my most recent character's strength and charisma. He's called Chad.

>he doesn't want a guy named Jamaican in his games

Lars "Ravenshadow" Bjork.
Nicknamed as such for the large flock of scavenger birds trailing him at any moment, ravens being the most common in his native lands.

>two feats on a non vuman
Have fun playing with shit stats.

No joke I actively prefer names like Rex or that kind of shit. I remember looking through the 5e book and saying the suggested names for Dragonborn and they're all fucking gibberish.

A basic rule of good writing is giving your characters easy-to-remember names. Rex may not be very original but I'm gonna actually gonna fucking remember it. Can't say the same for "Jarzavur Lualthondidish".

>koldbold

Not a cliché, but I had someone in my party naming himself 'Julius Caesar Salad' bc he thought it was funny and didnt care about immersion or anything. Luckily we talked him out of it

There's a full list of these somewhere.

>I'm going to post in a shit thread and keep it alive

>Make a dwarf character
>name him Urist and then Mc(something to do with industry and/or booze)
>alcoholic
>despises elves for no reason

>female bard
>named Jazz

> Luke Warm the Microwave Mage
> Master of heating the outside, but keeping the inside frozen

I’m a Rogue or a Bard named Jack
I do this all the time

It's acceptable for Dwarves. No one else though.

Pretty brutal torture method.

Don't worry, my names aren't cliche.
They are awful however.

GRIPP TUDSLEY

TUFF BIGGZ

RIDGY DIPPLES

DUNCE MALRO

JOHNNY ROYALE

FWIP TWIPPO

LUNCE HAKK

FERDINAND HERMISHERFIMUSHERHERMSHIRE

>cockney English, where a glottal stop is a valid replacement for any obstruent

These would all pass muster for Shadowrun

aw, thanks buddy.
I'd like to play shadowrun one day.

Have someone who goes full Tomino in the same party who uses what Nasu thinks Western names sound like.

>Someone named Jamaican Daninghan in the same party as someone named Scandinavia Peperoncino
These fit together too well.

>female bard
>named Arya

you know what they call a shadowrun character in france?

a johnny royale with cheese

A glottal stop is usually !, whereas apostrophes indicate stress

>male gunslinger
>named Jazz

>HERMSHIRE
Oh my madam, what is that in your dress?

HOLY KEK

I want to play a ranger called Strider

>I'm going to play a boy
>He's going to be called Kamille

>he doesnt rip names from pre 90's fantasy books

why even try lmao literally a plethora of interesting names

>He doesn't make the character's name an reference to a key character point by way of allusions to 19th century German opera
What are you, stupid or something?

>german references

no thx im not a nazi

That's a completely different sound which is the sound you make when tsking, also known as the dental click. In most languages the roman orthography uses ' for a glottal stop (ba'ath pronounced bah-(catch in the throat)ahth), ejectivity (basically a glottal stop combined with another stop), or in rare cases (notably Russian) palatization. ` is usually stress aside from anything with the pharyngel fricative (hebrew, arabic, etheopian, basically any Afro-Asiatic language that didn't get rid of that bullshit sound).

I wouldn't mind this if he was literally a T. rex.

How about Suq ma'Diq?

As someone that plays a lot of one-shots, I'm probably going to try to use these in the near future. Thanks user!

>Kadoc Zemlupus
>Kirschtaria Wodime
How do you pronounce these?

>make dark brooding misunderstood rogue
>call him Nathan Portant

When I DM in a custom setting, I make a quick and dirty naming conlang and then ask my players what they want their characters' names to mean, then pull out lexemes from a real language (Greek, Danish, Swedish, Korean, Mongolian, Old English are my favourites), apply necessary sound changes, apply morphology, viola, you've got your fantasy names.

I usually make the conlangs isolating with simple syntax (and consistent head-directionality), because it's much simpler to work with them. Occasionally though, I do complex Indo-European-esque morphology with a lot of alternations and stuff, because that, I noticed, gives a lot of subtle depth to the setting. Stuff like river names coming from a single root (like Danube, Dneister, Dnepr and Don in Eastern Europe) or a town name and a character's name both meaning 'Sun' (this one must be subtle, the similarity almost invisible if you don't know it is there, e.g., take a root 'nar', for the female name suffix add 'a', but if it's an adjective, add 'in' and trigger umlaut in the root => Nara for the character, Naerin (lit. 'Sunny') for the town). It adds a lot of depth to the setting.

It gets pretty hard when there's supposedly a classical language from which words are borrowed en masse. You have to make essentially two conlangs and model the borrowing process. It's time-consuming, but very reearding in the end.

Rolled 5, 5, 2, 2, 4, 1, 5, 4, 1, 1, 3, 4, 5, 1, 1, 4, 6, 5, 1, 1, 4, 2, 6, 1 = 74 (24d6)

>not rolling
>not rolling well

Why are you so shit? Check me out.

I named my ranger Pask "of the Woods"

but that's just how he's known around, his true lastname is Landmann

Rolled 5, 1, 6, 5, 5, 2, 3, 5, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 5, 4, 3, 2, 3, 2, 4, 1, 1, 1, 3 = 72 (24d6)

Ok that didn't go like I had hoped, let's go again.

>12 13 8 10 12 12

Rolled 6, 1, 3, 4, 6, 6, 3, 4, 6, 6, 1, 5, 2, 1, 5, 6, 6, 1, 5, 4, 5, 2, 1, 4 = 93 (24d6)

Fuck!

My character is named Erex Phalix and you can't do nothing about it.

>16 13 6 12 9 5

>Not taking advantage of having a dumb group by just using pre-existing phrases

What's the point in playing a not!Roman if you're not going to give them a name like Hapax Legomenon?

I've found your next character.

>He uses real names stolen from a less common part of the world
Great to know you're a shitter who can't make a character without relying on a "unique" name. I'll be over here with my John Smith the Human Fighter- otherwise known as The Pinnacle Of Role-Playing

The real question is; what kinda backstory do your characters have that would result in them having names like Chuck Munkey?

Rolled 3, 4, 5, 2, 5, 3, 1, 1, 4, 2, 5, 1, 4, 3, 5, 4, 5, 3, 4, 4, 1, 6, 3, 4 = 82 (24d6)

Rolling

>he names his character after a fucking lager

>Implying John Smiths is a lager
You absolute twonker

Its also aspiration, rarely.
> pharyngeal fricative
> bullshit
Its a beautiful sound.

>John Smith the Human Fighter- otherwise known as The Pinnacle Of Role-Playing
He really was a cool guy, though a lot of his stories are full of crap.