/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Core set edition! Start simple make it small.

old.photojoiner.net/

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Do we really need all these Art Sources?
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

>Anons who don't know how to use old.photojoiner.net/

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

old.photojoiner.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have to change this keyword now that WotC is using the name.

Ascension?

MTG is a game that is fun to play. Cards that encourage people to not play MTG are bad.

So, how would you feel about a "Strictly better" shock? (That isn't Lightning Bolt)

Sorcery speed is a big enough downgrade to warrant the free scry

oops, supposed to be an instant :0

Then no, scry 1 is fairly powerful.

Explodes in multiplayer formats. Just pair it with anything that lets you retain mana or any mana outlet.

Gonna drop some of my autistic new creations in here

I've always liked the flavor of those old artifact hate black enchantments, it's an underrated niche.

old.photojoiner.net/

And the two smug statue hatebear-ish dudes

8/10

Very easily a 2-for-1.

I don't buy the Herald's effect in red, and it's too narrow if it doesn't also prevent you from losing the game.

1RR should fairly appropriate for a 2-for-1 though

W/R Herald was designed especially with LabMan in mind. U/G Herald with Energy and Experience counters, but I've played him too safe.

I don't get the flavor of this one. To lay bricks you need time (i.e. "at the beginning of your upkeep" etc), what does the 4CMC represent?

Assume th ? Flavor is walls are built in response to threats, and cmc 4+ is meant to represent the opposite of white caring about cmc 3 or lower (we know theres an intentional and acknowled opposite, as white tends to hate high cmc versus black tending to hate low), though i thought it was 2.

>There's magic in my Magic?!
>It's more likely than you think!

Dunno if too powerful.

Yeah it's a bit busted. Worst case scenario, it's a 3 for 1.

3 for 1?

I'm talking strictly from a card advantage perspective. If you resolve that creature, it's ability will (at minimum) allow it to kill three things. Opponent loses three things, you lose one thing: three for one.

The chance of it surviving to the next turn is pretty much guaranteed with those keywords as well.

Everything seems pretty on-color as far as its cost, but it's way too good. There's no way to interact with it; that's not gonna feel good.

Worst case scenario, it gets cast turn 3 and gets three feather counters. Next turn, it gets sacced to exile three things. You get rid of 3 cards and lose 1. 3 for 1.

I'd make it "for each other creature". Finisher is a cool idea but it doesn't quite gel for me. Honestly Raid already fills the space that Finisher would fill in my mind, given the implication in the name. Still, it's fine.

Awkward card name. Effect is fine, though I think maybe a touch on the cheap side with how easy it is to set up.

Weird card idea I came up with. I love designing Mercenary cards so I'm always trying to figure out new weird ways to make them with pushed bodies and "traitor" mechanics.

This needs a clause to break ties.

I didn't include one because I figured adding CMCs would tie very, very infrequently if at all. But you're right, it was lazy. What do you think would be a good tiebreaker?

Not him, but you could use Timesifter as precedence, since it has "If two or more players’ cards are tied for highest cost, the tied players repeat this process until the tie is broken." Or you could just have it do nothing if there's a tie.

Yeah I considered just slapping (If there's a tie, you maintain control of ~)

I'm not exactly sure why you combined these ideas. I think the thing that exiles cards to do a thing but then gets them back when ti dies is cool, and while not especially compelling the deathtouch + block additional creatures thing with esper colors is a nice combination. I think this design would be better if it were just two different cards. It's also pretty flavorless but maybe I just dont 'get it.

I think you have a cool core idea here. Not sure if this is the cleanest execution but it's fine. I think the stat line is interesting.

I mean, it might be more in flavor to do something like "Each player may reveal a card from his or her hand. If a card revealed this way has a higher converted mana cost than the rest, the owner of that card gains control of ~."
This is more akin to a bidding war. And with this wording, if there's a tie you keep control.

Are you new or just don't speak English?

>using i.e. when he means e.g.
Fucking children. Don't you have homework to do?

this is very cool

Yes, but "Can't win the game" is still not a mono-red effect.

seems like it would be hard to play but interesting design

I think this is a fun mind-game card with potentially strong effects (Tutor or Fateseal) but in the end I think it might be unplayable trash. But whatever it was fun to make.

What the fuck is going on here.

I can't even tell what the intention behind this is.

Thanks user.

I wanted the hand peek utility, but your wording would certainly make it smoother and easier without need for any reminder text.

Red does get similar effects from time to time, like Stranglehold.

That's an insanely weird bluffing piece. I really like it, but the activated ability just seems odd. You're probably right about it being unplayable, but I think it deserves to exist just because of how unique it is. It could maybe be used in some sort of combo mirror to just mess with them, but I can't see it being truly useful.

What I think he's doing is creating a tutor that your opponent can maybe shut down at the cost of their topdeck. This can make them squirm if they have something good on top, so you can try and sneak a combo piece or something through. If they have something useless, they can just dump that and take your card with it. You can also bluff with something redundant to chance your opponent into getting rid of something relevant, but I doubt they'd choose it very often.

I don't see WotC printing this.
Maybe try to get a similar effect in a more elegant way?
The activated ability seems a bit too much.

The original intent behind this was just to tutor, but another user pointed out tutoring from outside the game as well, which is something I've been trying to incorporate. I just wish I could do it with fewer lines.

Why would that need to be a keyword to begin with? You'd have a bitch of a time filling an entire set with it, since Blue and Red can't really do much with it.

Yay or nay ?

Not him, but there have been keywords restricted to certain colors in the past, usually when they're tied to a certain faction.
Just look at raid in Ixalan.

This should at least cost two. I'd also have the cost have both black and white in stead of the hybrid.

>has never seen Journey to Nowhere before

I based it on both Journey to Nowhere and Bone Splinters.

My bad, carry on.

For what purpose

Nay.
Neither casting cost fits the spell.
A -x/-x wipe doesn't fit mono W.
A mono B spell that also has a path effect stapled to it doesn't quite fit B either.

I see the intention of the card, and it fits that blend well, but it's hard to ignore how mono W this effect feels. Yes, the bone splinters connection is clear, but we've seen similar effects like Archon of Justice, Ashen Rider, and Mangara of Corondor, which are all White effects. I struggle to find any examples that are mono B.

Over all, this seems fine. It's a boundary getting pushed and ultimately is far as offensive as some previous splitcolor cards have been.

Lastly, the flavortext should be in Quotation marks, as it sounds like the person in the art is saying it.

Goes well with Barren Glory or Near-Death Experience, I guess.

>I struggle to find any examples that are mono B.
You could call it a throwback to Faceless Butcher.

Are these lands broken? I'm honestly not sure if being legendary justifies them having no ETBT and getting three colors.

>Are these lands broken?

Yes.

Yes. Competitive formats are very fast, so the blowout from sometimes drawing the same copy is very low risk compared to the payoff of having so much untapped color mana available.

>the blowout from sometimes drawing the same copy
You just don't play more than one copy. It's a ticket for a random chance to get a ridiculously above par land some games.

Say you're playing Abzan (in any format other than Commander).
You play just one copy each of the Mardu land, the Sultai land, and the Abzan land. For no cost, you get two free dual lands and a free triland.

Yep, that would work very well too as a way to break these. We'd need to see like, a Legendary-land-only 1 mana blood moon to really punish these in a legitimate way.

Or you just don't print them.

Yeah, there's no situation where these are healthy for the game. Even two-color versions are broken for the same reason as

I see, these are good points, thank you. I'm gonna mess with these more and get back to you

alright, I've put a restriction on them entering the battlefield. Hard to balance Arcte and Vraga since it's so easy to get their triggers off

I've never understood having lands with different triggers like this. It just overcomplicates everything and makes the cycle harder to balance.

He prefers a small pond

City of thieves will basically never enter untapped

The set I'm building has Mardu's color identity as "steal things tribal". I'm even working on a keyword for stealing stuff.
As much as I'd like them to be easier to balance, I'm a flavor whore and I want them to enter untapped if you play the theme of the factions.

>The set I'm building has Mardu's color identity as "steal things tribal". I'm even working on a keyword for stealing stuff.
That sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

>As much as I'd like them to be easier to balance, I'm a flavor whore and I want them to enter untapped if you play the theme of the factions.
Then reveal a card from your hand, like the tribal lands of Lorwyn.

You do realize that only one of those colors can steal effectively anymore, since they kinda removed black's ability to reanimate from other people's graveyards. So you basically have a faction right now that's three colors, and focused on a thing only one of the colors can do, and not very effectively either

Boneyard Parley, Demon of Dark Schemes?

Both mythics

Take your time.

>The set I'm building has Mardu's color identity as "steal things tribal". I'm even working on a keyword for stealing stuff.
Alright, post your examples of White cards with this keyword.

If I was making a 3-color faction focused on stealing other player's permanents (which is a pretty narrow focus for an entire faction, not to mention unfun in large amounts on par with land destruction), I would use the colors that steal.
>U: Non-temporary stealing
>B: Stealing from graveyards
>R: Temporary stealing

Keep in mind that black is an incredibly distant third here compared to blue and red.

As for lands, I just based mine on checklands. +1 color produced, -1 land type checked for.

i would maybe make its stats a bit better maybe a 4/3? Accursed Spirit is a 4 mana 3/2 with intimidate. And with a downside like that if your in draft and you top deck it late its pretty bad.

To show faith

My argument for Mardu steal stuff is that Red is stealing things temporarily (as many pointed out) and Black taking things completely (either from their deck ala Gonti or from the graveyard)

As for white, I'll admit that blue would be the better choice, but a city of thieves doesn't feel very URW. I feel that the white part of stealing would be more in the line of Fiend Hunter kind of effects, or trading effects where you exchange permanents instead of just taking them.

>I feel that the white part of stealing would be more in the line of Fiend Hunter kind of effects
That's completely different.

>or trading effects where you exchange permanents instead of just taking them.
No.

You're trying to get flavor to push over the color pie and the color pie is the stronger of the two.

A surprisingly elegant complete package, wow. There's the 3 eyes in the art, 3 in the mana cost, cost reduction by 3, draw 3 cards, lose 3 life, and draw 3 lose 3 for 5 isn't the worst thing by itself though a tiny bit below rate, and while I've always thought the flavor was a little forced, if we assume discard = losing sanity, there's that too. I love it.