/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

What is your favorite published adventure for 5e?

Previous thread

Curse of Strahd. It'd be pretty hard to dethrone.

We'll know the end is coming when they make a UA for epic levels.

>What is your favorite published adventure for 5e?
Lost Mines, I like shorter adventures as my group would never finish something that goes from 1st to 15th level and shorter adventures are less work for me as a DM

Will they ever publish a high level adventure?

No, normies don't like this kind of stuff

How do you break it to your player that you're tired of the campaign you're running and want to start a new game

You finish it in one session

you say "hey I'm tired of the campaign I'm running and want to start a new game."

>tfw your DM has been running for years and feels "stifled" by running premades since he already has plenty of ideas
>tfw you're exactly the same kind of faggot when you run your campaigns

At least the group has finally agreed to give a chance to Out of the Abyss.

What's wrong with an epic level UA? Not that there's really any reason for them to make one, they already don't give a shit about balancing epic options as evidenced by the boons in the DMG.

the Tarrasque awakens

First time DM. My party just went from 3 to 4 players (since one guy missed a lot of games) to 6 because of bullshit reasons
We played with another DM ages ago and the whole thing fell apart because we had too many players and it took forever to get anything done
How do I make every player act faster? not just combat but exploration/social encounters too

I'm actually tempted to say fuck it and stage a party kill since 4-5 player limit was actually my only condition to DM and they haven't put any effort into the game outside of the table

R O C K S
F
A
L
L

I've always seen the whole bit about charms, blessings, epic boons etc. as less something intended to be played out of the box, and more so there is precedent for similar things in the rulebook for the 3.5 audicence

Rocks float, it's the rapture.

Whoever wanted this last thread.

>B-but we're outside, DM!
>The clouds were not actually clouds, but giant white meteors. The Gods have smitten this land in order to purge the evil therein.

>How do I make every player act faster? not just combat but exploration/social encounters too
I don't know how you deal with out of combat stuff so I cant help you with that.

For combat, you can put a timer for players to decide what they will do, otherwise they take the dodge action. And make them roll all dice at once (Making an attack? Roll both the d20 and the damage dice at once)

>Hey guys, I'm getting a little bit bored of running this campaign in particular and want to start a new one. If you want, we can finish one last little adventure so we can give your characters a sense of closure before moving on.

This is not a matter of opinion. Either you admit that Curse of Strahd is the best official adventure, or you're wrong. There's no middle ground.

Wait, do you imply there is something wrong with running homebrew campaign?

Can a Druid use Wildshape to turn into a germ?

That's not an end to a campaign, that's a beautiful new beginning to something much more radical.

Can anyone give a quick rundown on red hands of doom?
I've seen it recommended a few times and I plan to run it after my group finishes lost mine of phandelver
From what I've read it's a hobgoblin invasion from the north so I guess the Cragmaw band will be its advance party but I don't know who's behind the invasion and why

Nah, they are like 30 CR.

>the druid has to have seen the creature in order to wild shape into it
unless the druid has a telescope, no.

You can only turn to things that have stat blocks

Has that druid seen germs with his/her/xers own eyes before?

>telescope
hehehe you made an error

I think he just means that he wants to try a module

There are people who unironically think modules are always better than homebrew campaigns in this general though, yes.

If the germ is beast he has seen before, yes.

>telescope
fuck, you guys know what i meant right?

Do germs exist in your setting?

>telescope

i think you mean microscope, m8

>timer, throw all dice
that sounds perfect, I'll go easy on them the first couple combats I use it so they get used to it though

>Be a paladin
>Finally have this big, huge moral choice I've been waiting for
>Do I want to save the people I care about? Or do I want to save the entire world, right here and now?
>Oh, that's a hard one. Maybe my character will finally have some struggles!
>Maybe even character development!
>Okay, I choose...
>Cue to DM flat out handing me an easy third option that solves all my problems
>There's no ambiguity - I get to have my cake and eat it too.
>Do it, because doing anything else would be fucking retarded.

Why does it keep happening to me? I feel like I'm living in a bizarro world.

Hello anons. Some friends of mine want to try D&D, and I've been shanghai'd into DMing. I've never done it before, and my only D&D experience is a bit of 4e. I've done my best to familiarize myself with the basic PG and DMG, and I'm probably gonna try running Phandelver. Can you guys give me some tips for organizing my sessions? Are there any apps or tools I should check out? I feel kinda overwhelmed by all the stuff I need to keep in mind at any given time. I don't wanna be constantly flipping through rules PDFs.

timer for turns
people should be thinking what they're doing on their turns before it's their turn especially spellcasters, obviously the guy going first in combat gets some leeway here.

rounds are 6 seconds long players should act as such. maybe rule out some spells, personally my group hates conjuration shit it drags on and on and the whole fucking the dm has the creatures stats can fuck right off, the dm has enough shit he needs to handle not adding in 8 fucking pixies with polymorph every other encounter, so we never have to worry about some aspects that would be an absolute nightmare in a 6 player game.

make the players aware that DM'ing for 6 people is a real challenge and they need to help you out where possible and your not being a dick to them on purpose with the timer n what not.

no he means periscope

5etools.com

no you're thinking of an oscilloscope

Nah I think he means a horoscope.

check out 5etools in the OP, the rules section there basically has the most important bits from the DMG and the PHB all in one spot, no page/pdf flipping required.

5e tools in the opening post is pretty fucking god for all kinds of referencing. Kobold fight club is useful for random fight generation. Donjon helps make a lot of fucking shit to use, i've made a full calendar for my self on it.

nah i'm pretty sure it's an endoscope.

clearly a stethoscope

anyone know a good class for a non-monk unarmed character? I'm interested in running a character who's just purely a big beefy punch-man without all the spiritual ki monk baggage.

thanks, I got that out of the sticky. Should be helpful if I need to quick check rules at least.

Any tips for organizing my shit tho? Should I just make a bunch of cue cards or something?

barbarian, if you're fine with only having d4 damage die

I don't think flipping the table in frustration is a good alternative to communication. I also cap my group at 5 players, and have had to put my foot down and deny people entry more than once.

do you specifically want to punch?
if not then you can run a minotaur, the horns are a natural 1d10+str weapon, so you can fuck shit up pretty hard without a weapon.

in which case you can run pretty much any martial you want.
if your set on punching then your gonna have to search for some homebrew

5etools has a section for Adventures. Might help for the actual running.

It's just the text of the adventure book? that's pretty handy compared to a pdf. I didn't notice that section, thanks.

The sun won't rise because he's depressed and the world is thrown into a constant state of night.

What does your party do to rectify the situation?

hand jobs

variant human barbarian, get prodigy (XGE) for expertise in athletics. go max STR and wrestle the fuck out of people. go storm herald so fuckers get hurt just by being next to you, bear totem barbarian so you can be an unkillable monster, or ancestral guardian if you wanna help your party or some shit. at level 4, grab shield mastery if you're going captain america mode. otherwise pump that STR like you're on steroids, grab fuckers, and throw them to the ground. keep a sword on you just in case something is too big for you to grapple and your wizard didn't get englarge like the soyboy he is

Not the guy who wanted it but I'll gladly take it.

No, it's just that everyone has such high opinions of a lot of modules and I have yet to try any of them.
Except for that brief stint with HotDragQueen, but that one's awful and we didn't even finish the session before the DM called it a night.

>the one Paladin that actually wants to have crises of faith gets the DM that's afraid of the Paladin falling

It's like a sitcom.

Is 5e your favorite edition?

Tradition in my group dictates that you give the party at least one Deck of Many Things. The campaign won't survive the night.

It's my second favorite, after 2e

>inb4 grognard
I'm 20yo

For me, 5e and 4e are tied. I prefer the tactical play of 4e, but 5e is a lot more flexible and I think has improved my group's play styles

Thanks for clarification.

Why do you want to punch people, when swords are thing? Genuine question.

Besides ray of frost what spells reduce a person's speed?

I want to play Conan the Barbarian, but I'm not sure what character build I should use. I feel like I'd need to go into a 3-way multiclass between Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue but I'm hesitation very strongly about doing that for obvious reasons. What do you guys think?

I's say it's my second favorite over 2nd advanced.
Can someone give me the TL;DR on why we have to hate it now? Besides the normie invasion and the high level shit being a cake walk 80% of the time? Is there even another reason? I'm i just old now?

Power word kill reduces your speed to 0.

Hold Person
and spike growth if they know what's good for them.

Tips on how to DM?

I have a session at 3pm today and I'm unprepared

no

4e is

>Tips on how to DM?
Make sure you're prepared before the day of the session.

Eldritch Blast has an invocation that reduces speed by 10ft.
some spells like Spike Growth create difficult terrain in an area.
Difficult terrain requires double movement to move through, with the exception of Plant Growth that requires 25ft movement to move 5ft which cripples anyone that cant ignore difficult terrain in some way.

Alright guys, stay with me on this.
Gunsmith Artificer with, wait for it, a 3 level dip in Cavalier.

Man, I have the opposite problem. I had a party of 5, but one person would almost never show up (she'd make a session like once a month, and would never respond to the texts to see if they're available or not, so there was never any indication which days she'd come and which she wouldn't. She'd just occasionally show up then we'd have to spend a bunch of time recapping the last like 6 sessions to her) and another had became a real shit-heel in recent months, so my remaining 3 players and I decided to drop them both.

But now the question of what to do with their characters is a bit of an issue. They were the party's only two casters with the rest being martials, so they're pretty important for party balance. But I have too much to keep track of already to treat them as NPCs and control them myself, while in the party, only one of the players is familiar enough with their characters to control them. Having this one player basically control 3 characters at once, two of which are casters, slows down play something fierce.

I gave them a heads up that in an upcoming session, there'll be a story reason for one of the two to have to be dropped from the party, that way they can keep whichever one they think is the more useful and get rid of the other.

How do other people handle situations like this, where the party size changes mid-campaign, but the remaining party's make-up was contingent on the people who dropped? And what do you think is the ideal size for a party? I always found that a 4 person party was ideal.

Ideally, we'd just drop both characters and find a new player to replace the two that are gone, and then have that new player play a caster, but we're just not able to find another player that works. No one in the party knows anyone that:
1. would want to play
2. is reliable enough to come
3. would want to be a magic-user
Don't want a situation where we get saddled with ANOTHER NPC due to them not showing up reliably.

Barbarogue.

>make the players aware that DM'ing for 6 people is a real challenge and they need to help you out where possible and your not being a dick to them on purpose with the timer n what not.
>they haven't put any effort into the game outside of the table
So I guess I'm fucked, they also keep arguing everytime I deny them their stupid turns like jumping attacking and pushing at the same time at level 1
I actually gave him a chance but told him if he didn't kill the kobold he would fall back so he chose to throw an axe instead of doing his cool turn

Is there a good way to make a Paladin/Rogue Multiclass? What ratios would work out best for nova damage and features?

I want to have this bad motherfucker as the BBEG of my campaign. What minions can a kraken have? Things like merfolk are out of the question - I want something that is a threat out of the sea too.

Conan's a barbarogue
multiclass barb and rogue however you like

Conan is a Fighter / Rogue

It's my only edition.

3e looks like a hot mess that I don't want to step into. 4e sounds like fun. I'd like to play it once or twice just so I can understand why people generally dislike it so much.

3 rogue for Sin, rest paladin
suprise someone, go nova with the sin's auto-crits and dump highest level smites

If you're hesitant about that being too weak, don't be. You can absolutely dominate the enemy with action surged expertise advantage athletics maneuvers.

Deep Scions are excellent spies and versatile troops that can look perfectly human. Sahaguin can make excellent small fry fighters. Commanders are likely Kraken Priests. A Sea Hag might be loyal to a kraken.

he does tons of stealth and stealing shit
by looks he's a barb, but he acts like a thief a ton of times

>Why do you want to punch people, when swords are thing? Genuine question.
because it's fun

If you were missing martials you could easily make them control a champion/cavalier NPC but if the problem are casters you're fucked
Are they full martial or half-casters?
I think a small party with half casters should work fine

Slarkethrel, a very psychic kraken, has cultists in Storm King's Thunder. You can look imto the small amount of material there for inspiration if you like.

Can't you just somehow work around their strengths and weaknesses? Do THEY think it will be problem?

But... but... swords!

go fighter 6/barb 2/rogue 2/fighter x. if you really want, one extra level in rogue and/or barb can't hurt for archetype features. for fighter, probably get champion, possibly battlemaster. with this you get:
extra attack x2, action surge, indominable x2, second wind, a fighting style, 9 maneuvers, and 6d10 superiority die
rage x2/day and reckless attack as well as danger sense
expertise in two skills and cunning action

weakest part is delaying your third ASI, but reckless attack and cunning action are easily worth it alone. I'd probably go GWM since the sword conan uses is most comparable to a greatsword, plus it works well with the reckless attack free advantage. use your superiority die when it's not safe to reckless attack and feint and give yourself advantage for GWM. if shit gets too tense, bonus action disengage and run away.

swords and punching are both fun, user

That's what's known as a video game moral choice.
They suck.

yes

>weakest part is delaying your third ASI,
That's no issue for Conan, since he rolled like 18, 18, 16, 16, 14, 14

The party of players that haven't left are a Paladin, Barbarian and Monk. The two that left were a Bard and Druid, both magic focused. The one that plays a Paladin is the one that currently handles the Bard and Druid characters as well since he's playing a half-caster. Not sure which one they'll choose to drop and which they'll choose to keep yet. The druid is focused on crowd-control spells so she was important for combat, while the bard was focused more on out-of-combat utility, buffing and healing with the occasional fireball.

I can work around it just fine and give them challenges appropriate to the party, but they don't want to not have a caster in the party since they came to rely on those spells. Hence why I'm letting them keep one of the two around and just have the Paladin control two characters.

yes
the advantage/disadvantage system is my fav feature

What would you have chosen, user?

I have the worst luck with any melee weapon I use. If the GM is going to disarm me this time, he's got to fucking cut my arms off. And then I master kicking. Then, after becoming a quadraplegic, I master headbutting. Then I can finally be a dullahan.