EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previously: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question:
Boxer or briefs?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/braids-sea-monster-slam-jam/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thread question: Boxers. I enjoy how some are extra warm.

Relevant question: anyone got any Edgar Markov spice? I was wanting to do “surprise, they’re almost all incidentally Knights” but I’m not sure. Anyone got any spices lists?

I like shorts. They're comfy and easy to wear.

>tribal
>spice

What every tribal deck needs to be hit with

>boxers or briefs
>no option for superior boxer briefs
Do you even lawful neutral?

I'm building Newzuri but I'm concerned about winmore. Come cards like Zegana just don't feel like they do a whole lot unless I'm already ahead. And then there's the whole behavior if I'm able to get infinite turns off with Sage of the Hours. How much do I play that shit out? I can't imagine it's fun to sit against hoping I cock up somewhere.

And boxers. Briefs feel too constricting and most don't have the divide in them for easy pisses.

How do you cock up infinite turns? Once the turns start, it's pretty much over.

I'd get some sort of infinite combos that don't involve creatures.
That's pretty surprising spice.

Boxers, definitely.
I'm thinking of building my sexee knife, since I have a foil of her. What are some staples to make her useful? I was thinking of having her as a Timmy-ish deck with something for my opponents to not benefit as much from her ability, but not really necessary. What are some good staples? Last time I took her apart because the deck wasn't interesting enough.

>Boxer or briefs?

Briefs. I don't like the free hanging sensation of boxers and they are uncomfortable to wear underneath pants of any kind.

As for my own question, are there any cards similar to ethersworn canonist? I find rule of law can sometimes screw me over just as much as it screws enemies, and I have no way to disable it's effects during my turn - is there anything similar that I might be able to bounce or deactivate for my turn and then reactivate at the end?

Competitive goals

Unsure to rock Baral, Grand Arbiter or Zo-zu in 1v1 edh

GA would be fun because because prison and alt win cons
Baral for easy mode
Zo-zu for cheapness and effectiveness of a different approach to winning

Just play a bunch of flash cards or flash enablers to do stuff on other people's turn.

if you wanted to play a spicy deck, why did you build edgar in the first place, the deck that actually builds itself and is inherently and definitely not-unique

>thread question
boxer-briefs.

Unrelated but going to share something that happened yesterday night during Friday night EDH at my local Magic store.
>be me, playing voltron zur with a couple of friends
>in a 4 pod, friends playing Teysa, Gitrog Monster, and Ghave.
>everyone having a fun time, going into our second game, when a guy walks up to our table and asks if he can join
>5podfuckno.jpg
>Ghave player suggests that we just split into a group of three and a pair.
>he was fine with it, we split off as me and gitrog pair and Teysa/Ghave/this dude.
>our game ends pretty fast...lost at zur to gitrog feelsbadman
>about to start second game with different decks when we hear yelling from other group.
>guy(who we'll call Eddie since he was playing Edgar Markov) was getting really pissed off at Teysa because Teysa played a proxy sensei's divining top.
>"That's not a real card, you can't play that."
>Teysa is confused, since it's just a proxy. Starts saying that this is just a casual game, proxies are fine.
>"Nuh, uh! That's not a real top, you can't play that! You're cheating!"
>Teysa asks if Eddie wants her to change her deck.
>"Yeah, because you can't play a deck with fake cards."
>Teysa changes to a different Teysa deck (Orzhov Scion --> Envoy). A foil Teysa too.
>They started a new game, right in front of me and Gitrog. We knew what was probably going to happen.
>Teysa's new deck is made entirely of proxies since she was waiting on the deck to ship in.
>We all knew this. Eddie didn't.
>Eddie loses his shit once he sees lands, enchantments, and creatures all proxied.
>Even forests with a swamp proxied on with print out copies.
>Eddie goes ballistic, saying things like...
>"You're cheating! That's not a real deck! You have to play with real cards!"
>Eddie grabs one of Teysa's cards and pulls the printed swamp off to show the basic land it was sleeved with.
>Ghave, who was just watching this entire thing transpire in front of him just looked at us.
cont.

What a terrible thread question. Reposting clyde's law from last thread because I'm tired of discussing it here.

>thread question:
Panties, usually boybriefs.

Do any of you use magic online? I'm really considering dropping a bit of money on it since there's no real options for me to play IRL where I live right now and it'd be nice to actually play magic for once. Maybe I could even find a playgroup online for commander

its not the same. MTGO is a massively shitty client

>3-2 RIX Prerelease
>first prize pack has a foil Blood Sun
Should I sell now or hope it goes higher? I want it, but it's going for $50 and I can just sell it and get a non-foil.
Also pulled Ghalta and Wayward Swordtooth, pretty good overall.

cont.
>Eddie was going ballistic and calls store manager over.
>Store manager walks over, apparently used to something like this.
>"This guy is just playing with proxy cards!"
>Store manager just tells guy off, goes back to sorting cards behind counter.
At this point we had to intervene.
>Gitrog just texts Ghave and Teysa and tell them to just stop their game and just play with us.
>Chairs shuffle, Teysa/Ghave get up and we go back to our original table.
>"Yeah, well you would have been disqualified since those are fake cards!"
>Eddie is now on fire
>We start our new game and Eddie cleaned up his deck and walks over to us.
>"Hey, Gitrog and Zur. You guys shouldn't play with cheaters like them, they use proxies."
>We explain we have proxies too.
>Eddie is now going full Markov
>"Fine, I'll ignore that you're playing with fake cards. Let me join you guys."
>isthisguyretarded.gif
>Everyone tells him to fuck off.
>Eddie is now full vampire overlord
>"Cheaters shouldn't be playing Magic."
>Right when he says this he hits Teysa's deck so hard it looked like a card explosion, cards everywhere.
>Store manager notices and starts walking over, getting understandably angry.
>Eddie runs
>Teysa isn't mad, just shocked
Store manager told us the guy had behavioural problems in the past, but nothing ever that bad.
We finished our game, bring the store manager a beer for his troubles, and we leave.

>mfw I saw Eddie in safeway today

>playing the beer and pretzels Magic format by sitting alone in a room staring at a dead, lifeless screen
What's the fucking point?

Boxer-briefs. Snugness, but also acceptable to wear.

Like most other people, I wanna make G/R/W Dinos. Which is the better commander, Gishath or Zacama? If the one that isn't the commander worth a spot in the 99?

>using mtgo
if you're playing magic online you might as well just use xmage or cockatrice.

if the client wasn't a piece of shit I would sell up instantly

>Which is the better commander, Gishath or Zacama?
Gishath is clearly the better Dinosaur-tribal commander. Zacama is much more suited to a Naya toolbox type deck. Personally I like Zacama better because you're not locked into a tribe and can do a lot more cool stuff, but it sounds like you want to smash people with a bunch of timmysaurs.
> If the one that isn't the commander worth a spot in the 99?
I mean, if you're ramping Hard enough, sure, Zacama is probably worth a slot in Gishath.

How the fuck was that guy not banned from the store.

I mean its the only way for me to play Magic right now. I already have the game but I've never bought any packs for it.

The ideal would be to make friends so at least I could talk to people while I play

As shitty as mtgo is cockatrice is even shittier. Have you seen what it looks like when you try to play with multiple people in a game? its terrible. If I was playing with people I knew weren't retarded and knew the rules cockatrice might be okay but I have 0 faith in the average person to not constantly get everything wrong in it where at least mtgo fixes that issue

Xmage works decent. There's some card mechanics in there that aren't fixed, but otherwise is a smoothly running client.

>smash people with a bunch of timmysaurs
Basically. I play EDH for fun, not to "meta" people to death with infinite.

need secret tech for brago, also how do i permanently exile things with the parallax cards

What a fun political deck? I wanna use a deck that taxes like ghostly prison and propaganda. My playgroup just want to have fun, so we banned Storm, and infinite combo shenangigans and sol ring + lightning greaves.

The same way O-Ring and Fiend Hunter were abusable. (and thus they fixed the wording on those effects, like Banisher Priest)
You find a way to cause it to leave the battlefield before its ability exiling something else resolves, thus putting the return trigger on the stack above the exile ability, and so the return resolves first returning nothing, and then the things it targetted get perma-exiled.
ex. Activate their ability to exile a thing temporarily however many times (typically for every counter on them)
Then do something (at instant speed) to get rid of it, like Cryptic Command or something.
That resolves, the parallax leaves triggering its LTB.
LTB resolves, returning nothing.
Then finally the "temp" exile abilities resolve, permanently exiling the targets.

I've got a rules question that isn't specific to EDH.
>If you cast a card “without paying its mana cost,” you can’t pay any alternative costs such as emerge costs. You can pay additional costs such as escalate costs. If the card has mandatory additional costs, you must pay those.
Do you need to PAY the additional costs or just choose to use them? Is Buyback considered a an example of an additional cost?

Is this guy banned forever? What a shithead

>I run infinite combos in a casual format

You have to remove the fade counters and before the abilities have resolved, you need to sac or destroy the enchantment.
With Wave you can do it constantly, if you have Opalescence or Starfield of nyx out or it's creature in some other way, just use the last counter to exile itself, so it returns to the battlefield with all the counters and then resolve the abilities on the stack.
It can't be done with the black one, and with blue one it might be possible, but it would have to be a land for infinites. Only way that I can think of is through Opalescence + Conspiracy + Life and Limb, from to of my head.

Yes, you need to pay any mandatory aditional costs, even if you play the card "without paying its mana cost",

Buyback IS an additional cost, as is kicker or escalate. Overload is not.

You still have to pay for any additional costs, if you choose to add them onto the spell.
So yes, even if you cascade into Capsize, if you want to buyback it, you still have to pay the 3 mana.

boxer briefs because my dick is too big for anything else

how’s this guy i found in my packs today? i always wanted a mayael’s aria deck.

>and sol ring + lightning greaves.
Why

I suppose I could add Vedalken O and Leylines, but it does feel like it's streamlining it too much towards that, idk. I'll test it out I suppose.

QUICKLY! I need the 1-800-flapping meme pic

Lightning greaves isn't fun, I don't know about Sol Ring though.

that guys kinda hot

Sol Ring I agree with, since I really hate fast mana in EDH because it gives far too great an advantage to anyone that happens to get any in their opening hand vs those that don't.
Greaves is a bit of an odd ban though.

I got you.

>look mom I posted it again!
Infinite combos are fine, run removal you git.

Buyback is additional cost, but not mandatory. Then there's cards like Bone splinters or Diabolic intent, where the additional cost is mandatory and must be paid no matter how you cast the spell. So, some additional costs must be paid, some doesn't.
If a card states "as additional cost x", it must be done, otherwise the spell can't be cast.

If you cast a spell without paying its mana cost and it has options such as "as an additional cost do X" you still have to pay the additional cost, stuff like buyback isn't included in the cost afaik but maybe a smarter user can enlighten further

thanks, so i can't do it with Brago's ability then. Any sac outlets for enchantments/permanents?

There's literally nothing wrong with infinites

t. people that play infinite combos as their primary win-con in every deck

I use this cutiepie.
And no, you can't do it with Brago, unless you have Strionic resonator out, so you can respond to the combat damage trigger, remove the counters and then copy the original Brago trigger. Brago can't really do any such tricks otherwise, since his trigger is always at bottom of the stack.

No.

I play mostly Voltron. Also, Mazirek is fine.

>Story

What a fuckwit. I can't stand the approach so many people have to proxies. Fair enough in a wizard sanctioned event with big prizes, but for commander, even in a small prize Comp, proxies should be 100% ok (as long as it's clear and legible as to what the card actually is). The distaste some people have for proxies is a cancer on the pay 2 win format.

It's especially relevant now that you can get extremely high quality proxies from MPC that are far cheaper than getting the original cards, but at face value don't look that different to a real card.

I play infinites in less than half of my decks. Playing them or not doesn't make my opinion any less valid, unlike yours. Infinites aren't banned, so they obviously are more than welcome in this format.

I'd be surprised if it went higher desu. It's more likely to drop long term than rise, so I'd sell it.

I don't get it, proxies are perfectly fine in a casual format. Only wotc endorsed competitive games don't allow them.
Only reason I'd look down on proxies, if it's done by a person with no awareness and armsraces in a casual playgroup, just to win

>>Thread Question:
backless panties
I'm trying to make a Licia deck, I wanna try to have a theme of it being vampire conquerors, since Licia seems to be from a Rome themed plane, and Ixalan vamps are conquistadors - what is some nice tech that isn't the usual stuff for her on EDHREC like straight up lifegain and such?
Also would Twilight Prophet go down in price you guys think? I don't think it'll see much play in Standard so it should go down to $3-4 before rotation at least, unless Energy stuff gets banned, then I'll just pick one up.

Grimlock.

never seen that boi i'll brew something to use him. So Strionic Resonator can make it work then, does the Illusionist Bracers work with him or is it only on activated abilities? Also what are his wincons besides accumulating a lot of value? This is my first commander i have many questions

Come to think of it, I find it extremely stupid that now cards have been banned from standard, there was like 5 of em, but now only what, 3? When was the last time standard had something banned? Like Urza's block, or was in Zendikar block anything banned, or was that only extended?

You fucking faggot.

I think it was around when Eldritch Moon was here, Emmy got banned. Then after that Aetherworks Marvel iirc.

Jace the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic got banned back in Zendikar.

after facing this thing at a prerelease i officially hate it. indestructibility in limited is fucking insane.

this needs a qualifier. two card infinite combos are dumb, yes, but a 5 card infinite combo is fine. it also depends on what is going infinite. if you get infinite tapped creatures, that at least gives your opponents a round to stop you. if you get infinite mana - sure, that's fine. if you gain infinite life - sure, not really an issue. if you are dealing infinite damage at instant speed with two cards, say with mike & bike - yeah that's not really very fun or interesting.

Thanks!

They didn`t get banned until the block nearly rotated out, but yeah.
>Technically Correct Pic.

Wizards fucked up super hard. Nobody wants to play standard near me and if they do it's either Energy or a shit brew like Cat Tribal.
Wizards doesn't wants people enjoying modern yet it's the most varied format there is, where everything can work, which attracts much more casual viewers than the Energy mirrors that pros would like to optimize

There's also this one and Faith healer, but ask yourself if the saccing enchantments is that necessary part of your gameplan that you need them included.
I run Auratog in my Hanna, because it's extremely helpful, but for Brago, I think it's best to have the enchantments stick rather than die.
Illusionists bracers only affect activated abilities, so no, Brago has only a triggered ability.
Usually Brago wins with value, like blinking good ETB effects or destroying all opponent's permanents with Reality acid for example. Rishadan Cutpurse, - brigand and -footpad all are pretty good match woth Brago. Brago normally wins through commander damage, through stax means, so your opponents just can't do anything and optimal game will be an one sided game.

The bird also gave me trouble in a game I was close to winning. Thankfully game 2 and 3, this basically carried the game.I even played a 2nd one after the first one transformed on game 3, absolutely devastating

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they were banned in standard or extended.
Reflector mage and Emrakul were banned a while ago, before they rotated. Currently there's Aetherworks marvel, Felidar guardian and Smuggler's copter

Anyone have some neat stuff for Licia?

Thinking about making a blue braids group hug type deck. Anyone got some good ideas/lists

ooh so it would be best to play a Stax style deck with him. I'm thinking about adding Stasis, Tangle Wire, Static Orb but never tried full-on stax. Do i just add a few stax cards and let my overwhelming value do the rest?

Thoughts on this guy as a mono-blue commander? Don't have baby jace or baral so i decided to try him out for a couple of games and he seems pretty powerful for a draw-go strategy

someone posted this a long time ago when i was an edh noob, i was going to build it eventually but i never got around to it. still think its a great idea though

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/braids-sea-monster-slam-jam/

Better in the 99 of Patron, Soramaro, or Tishana. He's probably the most legit of the AKH gods (fighting with Oketra) because he actually does something worth doing, but he's still not great

I could see it being strong with landfall decks or lands that have ETBs but that's pretty short in mono blue. I think there's a land that comes in tapped but when it enters you can tap a creature an opponent controls and it doesn't untap til their 2nd untap, so you could maybe bounce that for control. Not sure where you'd take it beyond that.

He's a pretty decent body and works as a mana sink that draws you cards in a pinch. Nothing special, but he can get the job done better than some. Not super exciting, but reliable.

So are we bad people? I have a large playgroup 6-8 people, we will let anyone join in, but our only rule is no infinite combos that are less than 4 cards, no storm and no cards such as sol ring or or any other varianta of lightning greaves type cards.

Why? Because it makes other commanders viable and things like ramp and haste are for green and red and we like to keep our color identity in stone and it promotes more commanders you seldom see.

We will let you place once, (and they usually win) but the next time if it the same deck it gonna be 6-8 v 1 and no matter how good your deck is you can't beat that many people coming at you from turn 1. We've had many people say that were "bullying them", but we tell them that they need to make a deck that based on our playgroup and they flat out refused and prefer to play by themselves?

>So are we bad people?
you aren't bad people. nothing you are doing is morally wrong. you all sound incredibly annoying though.

Just had the greatest pre-release of my life, I guess i'm making a Zacama deck.

>6-8 player games
They brought it on themselves.

Inifinite combo rules like that are somewhat common among casual playgroups, but the rest of that shit sounds autistic as fuck. You're expecting people to go out of their way to make an entire deck that works for your stupidly arbitrary set of rules just for playing with your group specifically.
>Why? Because it makes other commanders viable
You're shitting on certain colors that need artifacts to enable them to do things that are critical, like ramp in Red or card draw in White. By cutting certain color combinations out of things that are important that a color traditionally doesn't have on its own without help, you're killing certain colors and decks while making others much more strong.
Just off the top of my head, I can imagine any number of U/G/x decks completely dominating under those sorts of rules, whereas literally any high-cost commander lacking green, or any kind of aggro deck lacking red would be completely unplayable. You're doing the exact opposite of promoting deck diversity.
Also,
>it gonna be 6-8 v 1
>playing 6-8 player pods
>not just splitting into 2 4-player pods
Why would you ever do this to yourselves? I can't imagine a game like that lasting any less than 4 hours, especially with infinite combo's banned.

Any spicy techs for Elenda? I want to build the inferior markov deck. Already running Haakon as a way to recur her.

I still think it's better to not run her as a commander.

Well, there isn't a rule in the game against gangrape and most of your points are justified, I say you are wrong for making rules set in stone. For example, storm is a combo that is way more than 4 cards and I'd at least allow Reservoir since it is much quicker to execute in game.

What about Narset and Zur not running greaves? MLD? Stax locks? I'd much rather lose instantly than after god knows how many turns of idleness.

If your decks are truly balanced with that in mind though, it should be fine. Just address every problematic deck separately and communicate out of game

>mfw did this three times in my life, won twice through politicking and second place with a deck completely uncapable of posing a threat

I really don't care about that. I just like her as a general, and my playgroup is casual enough that I'll get by. I've always wanted an orzhov commander that wasn't the typical shtick

Sounds fine to me desu. Those are your rules, you've got 8 dudes happy with them. Seems good. I don't agree with banning sol ring or greaves but I can understand banning infinite and storm, so that's fair enough.

Any rivals of ixalan stuff making its way into edh? Azor gateway seems ok. Filters nicely and leads to a single card resource into x-cost wincons. Its also all i pulled from yesterday's prerelease.

That fucking huge-ass green Dino is making its way into my Seton Fatty Tribal deck

I will add this dino to all my decks, jesus christ this shit is broken

Dont fuck with Nessie

>immune to wraths
>discard clause basically says: discard 2 cards save from wrath

pair it with a panharmonicon and a elemental bond and it'll basically stick around forever

Looks fun in a BUG reanimator deck.
Pairs real nice with Jin-Gitaxias, but realistically speaking that's likely pretty close to christmasland, between both being able to reanimate (or god forbid hardcast) both and not having Gitaxias immediately die.

Jin's the ultimate reanimation target in EDH. He deals with all 3 other players in one round. If he's still out when you get your next turn, you won.

If you're using Parallax Wave and Brago, it also combos with Opalescence and Starfield of Nyx. Since Parralax Wave becomes a creature, it can bounce itself and up to four other Creature-Enchantments. And just becomes a static 'Opponents can't play Creatures or Enchantments because you auto-exile them forever'.

And if you want to be a real asshole you can run Parallax Tide as well to exile Lands.

Ok ok, hear me out, some times a game will hot a standstill. A lull where no bodies doing anything and the game has gone on over an hour. It's nice to have someone fall into an infinite combo.
Some times the infinite can be seen a mile away and is inefficiently put together and favors keeping in flavor over competitive power.
That's fine too.
But if you're the kind of asshole that swears that your taferi deck isn't competitive then locks the board out and wins with his mainstay combo turn 5 then you can go dial 0800-suck-a-dick-and-die and order the extra dong kong special

>Dominaria
>time counters
>Jhoira
>Teferi
>Karn

Will 2018 be the absolute best year for EDH/Commander shenanigans?

They'll fuck it up somehow.