Low magic

I'm looking for a good low magic system to use for a game I'd like to run. So far I'm thinking of using the Lord of the rings rules for d&d 5e.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/e8GXFp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If we're already speaking about LoTR

How strong are the "Wizards" in LoTR?

Asoiaf rp

There's always GURPS.

Are you talking about the Istari (aka Gandalf & Co) or just the equivalent of a magic-user in LotR? In the case of the latter; there aren't any. There IS "magic", but not nearly enough to base a class around it, and it doesn't work the way traditional D&D magic does.

Try Song of Swords

What's happening with SoS right now? Haven't seen anything about it in ages.

Why not just use the actual LotR game instead?

GURPS
Basic + Martial Arts + Low Tech
Fantasy and/or Banestorm to add a little magic
Cherrypick stuff from Dungeon Fantasy line
Low Tech Companion line if you want to get really gritty.
Better Fantasy Armor (not official product, google it) if you think LT armor is too expensive.

Play Warhammer Fantasy and ban Magic Classes. Or let your players play them, and watch them worry about using Winds of Magic.

This. TOR is excellent, and the PDFs are easy to get.

Zweihander is fun. It's got better rules than WHFRPG & only has maybe 5 possible magic classes you have to chance upon. It sells grim & perilous very well & has a lot of cool monsters to fight.

Yeah last I head Jimmy was band from 4chins again and has migrated to the discord for it. No idea what the discord is though so I'm currently out in the cold as well.

Might go check the kickstarter to see if it's been delayed in a classic Soon™ fashion.

Mythras

it is stated that many charcaters had some sort of magic powers or did something that could've been magic.
The Necromancer was believed to be a human sorceror before they discovered it was actually Sauron. Also galadriel used magic

Right, but Galadriel is a big deal. She's a high elf who lived in the light of the Two Trees. That said, she does magic, but not like one would think. The magic of elves is different; it is only the dwarves, hobbits and men that would name it that. The elves don't really "get" the idea of magic, because to them it's just another craft. Lothlorien and Rivendell being "frozen" in time as the rest of the world changes is an example of powerful elf magic, and the way elf-made swords glow when orcs are near is another.

Take The One Ring RPG for example; you CAN learn magic if you have the right background, but they're only half-remembered, broken spells from ancient times. They don't go beyond carving runes into trees to warn you of invaders.

>So far I'm thinking of using the Lord of the rings rules for d&d 5e.
What are those?

He's been teasing with the monster stuff for the past couple weeks, and like three months ago posted pdfs on Thaumaturgy and slightly modified Orredin.

Only rare and powerful demi-god like entities have strong enough magic to acutely affect their surroundings. For most beings of some mystical property, they simply slowly warp their surroundings to be something closer to themselves.

Not banned but we're in late production and threads have died down till there's a real product, we might see a print run by the end of February.

This is the Discord if you want to see what's what. discord.gg/e8GXFp

this.

Ive only ever had one wizard actually live to see the end og his apprenticeship

Based Opaque always willing to lend a hand, even in places you don't expect it.

No homo.

Barbarians of Lemuria. It's rules-light swords and sorcery and would run fine if you limited or dropped the sorcery entirely.

This.

This too.

And this.

And this.

>What are those?
Adventures in Middle Earth. It's the 5e version of The One Ring.