Foreign Settings

Fellow non-american fa/tg/uys, how is the RPG scene in your country? Do you have any national systems or settings? Any regular publication?

Here in Brazil we have some presence, but as far as I know there is really just one publisher that still does most of the national content, the rest being point releases by really small publishers.

One of the most popular national systems around here is Tormenta RPG, basically a brazilian pathfinder, but the setting is good, a fantasy world with big threats like a invading goblinoid army attacking from the south, a recent attack by the minotaur nation that broke the allied kingdoms in three groups of kingdoms and the threat that gives name to the setting, a red storm of acid rain that brings aberrations and madness into the world and overall destroy everything in its path.

Other urls found in this thread:

kotohi.com/]
starlinepublishing.com/]
swordworld.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_World_Wiki
groupsne.co.jp/products/sw/
drivethrurpg.com/product/151366/Ryuutama--Natural-Fantasy-Roleplay
nocturnal-media.com/games-1/#/new-page-4-1/
kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/aquelarre-the-dark-and-mature-medieval-rpg-now-in
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The setting has many splat books, like one for the races of the world, one for divine classes, one for arcane classes, one for martial, one for trickster, and many more.

It also had it's own comic series that ran for a pretty long time, getting to 40 issues and which was pretty good actually. The characters still appear in many art in the books but the elf with the leather straps has been toned down a little to wear a little more clothing.

There were also some books, the first three were written by Leonel Caldela, and were pretty divisive with the fanbase at the time, as the tone of the books diverge heavily from the more light hearted tone of most of the content. For me its one of the things that nearly ruined the whole setting, along with the minotaur wars. There is a new book now, but I haven't read it.

Another brazilian system from the same publisher is 3D&T a rules light generic system that is meant to simulate animes and that kind of stuff. Horribly unbalanced, but pretty fun overall. You can run pretty much any adventure with a single sheet of paper and winging it the whole. It also has the advantage of the digital book being free and using only d6, so its pretty much a good introduction to RPG around here as the investment is almost null.

The rules light system also has a pretty good support by the publisher and even one or two settings for it, the one with the most content being Brigada Ligeira Estelar, or Star Light Brigade, a mecha napoleonic wars in space setting. It's actually really interesting and has many books expanding the setting and two volumes of adventures that were built in episodes to simulate a season of mecha anime, including mid season mecha upgrades.

And to round it all up we have a monthly publication called Dragão Brasil, that was dead for some years but is now published digitally thanks to crowdfunding in a brazilian patreon-like site, where it works like a subscription.
The magazine has lots of content for both systems and some for D&D, it also usually has a short comic or a short story and it brings lots of adaptations of whatever game or tv show is popular.

I would attach the latest issue here but the file size is too big, so you guys get the cover.

IMO Tormenta is just generic fantasy with south-american otaku influences. I found it pretty boring when I read the core book and tried reading Holy Avenger. The manga felt like the most generic and uninspired attempt at creating a shonen manga.

Eh, it's better when you read the Reinado which has more information on each kingdom, but the setting was meant to be generic fantasy. It started as a world to piece together adventures from the 50 first editions of the magazine way back then.

But it is way more generous with races the players can be and classes, so I find it way less bland than the default settings but still grounded enough not to be a weird kitchen sink.

And the comic you should not expect a masterpiece, but it's ok. They didn't really have that much direction at the start but once Lisandra starts going evil I think it gets better.

Well, maybe what Caldela did might work for me. The light-hearted tone never made sense to me in a setting where one if its biggest races is of mass-raping minotaurs (who look boring af) whose lore all centers around being interracial rapists (the minotaur god has the elf goddess as his sex slave) who need other races to reproduce (they don't have females).

also, did they introduce female minotaurs here ? I might be mistaken since I didn't read that book, but that looks like a minotaur monstergirl. If that is the case, wouldn't it ruin all the minotaur lore and culture?

No, those are Minauros, they are kind like a donkey minotaur. A quarter cow, 3 quarter humans and I don't think they can reproduce.

And if there was one think Leonel Caldela did right is the book about the Tormenta, where he wrote a really good hellscape and it has a great tone for darker campaigns. But I'm an old player of Tormenta so I really liked the old tone.

The Tormenta book has towers of melded human flesh that scream, if I remember right.

The book about the red storm, Área de Tormenta I mean. Not the trilogy.

I guess I'll try reading it then, I still haven't read much of Brazilian fantasy

The trilogy is ok if you like dark fantasy I guess. I would give it a try. But keep in mind its a book in an RPG setting.

Sweden.

Had several different publishers from 1982 and on.

Now a days they're even getting translated into english and also I guess White WOlf is Swedish now too which still seems absurd to me.

The Swedish tradition is very much based on BRP and setting, theme and concept befor system and mechanisms.

Fun fact, the Minotaur god and it's slave centric thing is actually derived from a previous book from one of the authors about a race of mostly female dinosaur people that would capture slaves and torture them for fun. Until they get a slave that totally likes it and throws off the master slave dynamic. And them the last male of the tribe dies and they have to go on a quest to find a new one.

Its a fun book.

>Scene
Huge in the 80's and 90's for what is a rather small country and it's currently in a big resurgence.

Brazil also had a big gap in the 2000's where it mostly died out and it had a big boon in the 80's and 90's. Most of them are still dead though. We also had plenty based on modern fantasy and basically a weird storyteller like system. It even had an splat that was like the Highlander movie.

Besides the native production the high rate of English literacy in Sweden means tons of people play whatever is available in English as well.
Plus if you start a formal RPG club you get state funding.

You get state funding for having a club for playing RPGs? Are there any other pre requisites?

Any kind of gaming, actually.
You get more money for having more people, but you need to provide some basic personal data of your members so they know you're not just faking names.

I assume there must be at least one or two clubs in every city then? Are the guys in these ok or is it pure autism because they get every single person they can to get more funds?

Jupp, jupp.

Dungeons & Dragons are not the "kleenex" roleplaying games like it's in the US. People play all different kind of roleplaying games ad it's been like that from the very beginning, great diversity in what people play as well as from local publishing.

In France we have a good roleplay community and some native publication.
But we have a tendancy to reinvent and try to do something different for the sake of being different.
But we also have very good things around narritivist systems. We have Le grumpf who's really good. He is great at doing usefull ressources for DM.

Way more than two per city. Basically whenever some group of people with some relevant hobby say "hey, we should make this a Sverok club and get more hobby money". Huge numbers of them are in the handful-to-couple-dozen members range.

Part of it is if you already have a group to do your stuff with, why seek out some other group instead of just starting your own? And then of course a lot of the clubs just don't share interests with each other. When I say any kind of gaming, I mean it. There are esports one, roleplaying ones, wargaming, card games, board games, LARP, airsoft, whatever else you might think of. In fact, it used to be limited to games, but these days they include stuff like speculative fiction in general, cosplay, karaoke... So yeah, there's a lot of clubs.

Oh, so its more of a culture club thing than a RPG thing then. Is there a lower limit to how many are needed for a club? I thought they would actually need to have a physical building to exist or something like that.

It used to be just gaming but eventually other cultural stuff was folded in as well, probably because of overlap and the appeal of getting access to all that structure, help, and funding.

You don't have to have a specific building or anything. Non-online clubs do need to specify what city they're mainly active in, though. Not seeing anything about a minimum number of members, besides that you have to have a board of at least three people. So I guess it's three people minimum. Then you also have to have proper yearly meetings and hand in protocols and stuff like that, obviously.

Addendum to No gambling about money, pay to win, or real economy games allowed.

>Sverok
Three or Five I don't quite remember.

We're currently about 50-100 in our club right now but that's mostly because of the e-sports push some are doing while the roleplayers and board gamers are about a quarter of that and most that show up for board gaming are not even memebers or to old to match the requirements for financial support (under 25).

Any way, yeah, it's a thing, just like the studdy circles that get similar support and so on.

Not gonna lie. My failed attempt at learning to read French was for the Talislanta books.

The most notorious game I can think of is pic related. It's low fantasy in the dark ages of Europe, based mostly in spanish and catholic mythology. It's quite interesting in it's themes, but mortality is far too high unless you keep your campaigns out of the fantasy realm, since most monsters can wipe out a party easily.

There's Anima, of course, but it's not really something that I'd associate with my country in any way.

I got it because I love the artist they hired and they have historically accurate tits.

>most monsters can wipe the party
>i_can_only_get_so_erect.jpeg

>historically accurate tits
Elaborate

It's also one of those games where the character gen includes lots of random things that may have happened to the character during their lifetime, which means you may start the game having a magical amulet, missing a leg, or dead.

It's also the only game I know where your parent's job affects your skills during character creation.

We have this in Italy, late WWII with zombies rising and others amenities, quite fun as you can play as any notable real historical figures of the time like Chaplin, Salvador Dalì or Josephine Baker Vs. the undeads

Tormenta is to the Brazillian players what Pathfinder is to everyone else: An OGL take that doesn't fix anything, only tries to make the broken look cool. The setting - Tormenta, wa just a collection of articles of the only RPG magazine that existed at the time sewed together. I played it when I was a teenager, don't regret it. Tormenta, with its anime style is a good way to attract new players to the hobby in a country that love anime and over-the-top action.

But when you taste something better, you most likely will never play it again.

Brazil had their quota of national RPG:
>Tagmar
Generic medieval fantasy kitchen sink, played like the old days, with an attack table. I think was the first RPG in the world to split Heroic Points (HP, plot armor) from Physical Points (PP, meat points).
>Millenia
Generic space opera
>Desafio dos Bandeirantes
Fantasy historical of the colonization period, with many of the legends told still today as true. Best setting only because it avoids the eurocentric dominance of medieval RPG. Would love to see a new edition, but unfortunately the authors will re-release the setting as a D&D 5e splatbook.

Not Japanese but wanted to represent the japanese rpg scene

[from Kotodama heavy industries english language website - kotohi.com/]

>Tenra Bansho Zero
A rich Japanese setting involving a planet in a constant state of war, where magic fuels technology and the culture is an analogue of the Warring States (Sengoku) era of Japan. Mecha, sorcery, samurai, geisha, Buddhist monks, cyborgs, annelid-users and more make this game a truly unique--and deeply culturally Japanese--experience.

>Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy RPG
Ryuutama calls itself a “Natural Fantasy RPG”. It is a fantasy role-playing game set in a western medieval-style setting. The conceit of this setting is that at one point, in everyone’s lives, people get this intense feeling of wanderlust. They put their daily lives on hold and travel the world with new-found companions. They find out more about the world, and at the same time learn about themselves.

>Shinobigami
A Modern Ninja Battle/Drama RPG, The game is about goals, relationship and power, in the backdrop of a modern day Japan in the midst of a secret ninja clan cold war. 3-5 competent shinobi characters aim to take control of an object of power, meanwhile they pursue unique hidden goals that may lead them to cooperate or compete with each other. Often there is an antagonist non-player character with monstrous goals that must be stopped (though even as they do so, the cooperation and competition between the shinobi continues). Forming relationships puts you at risk but also opens you up to learn more secrets and information. Everyone’s secret goal is unique and often puts the characters into conflict with some of the others, or perhaps drives them to protect or love others.

>maid rpg
Maid is a game where all the players are maids who serve a master. The gamemaster, or "GM", plays the role of the master. It is by default a lighthearted anime-themed roleplaying game of conflict, friendship, romance, and overcoming adversity for the sake of the master. Crazy events happen all the time in the mansion; a yakuza crime boss shows up with a deed to the mansion, claiming ownership; a meteorite crashes into the garden, from which a strange alien princess emerges; a giant robot threatens the city, including the mansion. The maids have to deal with all these events while at the same time making sure the master is protected and well cared for.

>Golden Sky Stories
Originally released in Japan as Yuuyake Koyake, Golden Sky Stories is a heartwarming, non-violent role-playing game that’s great fun for all ages. It takes place in a small town in rural Japan, and players take on the role of henge (pronounced hen-gay, like a chicken that’s happy), animals with just a little magical power, including the ability to temporarily take human form. They do not fight great battles or unearth valuable treasures though; Golden Sky Stories adventures are all about helping others and becoming friends.

[both released i english by starline publishing starlinepublishing.com/]

>Sword world
America has Dungeons and dragons
Germany has The dark eye
And Japan has Swordsword
First released by Group SNE in 1989, and currently only into its second editon [ with a new starter boxset [formatted somewat like DnD 5ths basic starter set] the system uses 2d6 to resolve rolls, has 8 races and 15 classes.
The swordworld system has spawned multiple replay novels [ writeups of campaigns ] one of which was Record of Lodoss war.

theres currently no official english language release of the game however the first edition rules have been fan translated
>swordworld.wikia.com/wiki/Sword_World_Wiki

SNE main sword world website[Japanese]
>groupsne.co.jp/products/sw/

>Kamigakari

[from the Kamigakari thread]
Kamigakari is a JTTRPG focused on episodic storytelling, with simple but tight mechanics.

Its design goal is to start players spread out, getting involved with the episode's peculiarities, and eventually coming together to fight a big bad, a la tokusatsu shows, magical girl shows, and/or other such shows in that vein.

TL;DR, it's a Monster-of-the-Week sort of game with an emphasis in the fluff on high power shenanigans of just about every type.
Remember, boys and girls, Japanese schedules suck, so JTTRPGs are optimized toward quick and easy sessions.
That said, they can be adapted for longer ones.

Theres a thread for the fan translated version of the game here

Eh, I like Tormenta as a setting, it does its job well and it can take the players getting weird without getting to unbelievable. You can mostly ignore stuff you don't like or you can embrace it and have mecha battles with the head priest of the war god.

Nowadays I just play 5e in that setting because it is what my players are used to.

Also, Brazil had some other systems like Daemon that had some life in that time period.

Is there anywhere I can find that Ryuutama? I'd like to browse it but I think it will just be one more thing my players will never play.

>Is there anywhere I can find that Ryuutama?
Seconding this.
kotochi is sold out, amazon continues to be useless for rpgs
it looks like they've got copies at indie press revolution, but I've never heard of them, they're linked from the site, though

drivethrurpg.com/product/151366/Ryuutama--Natural-Fantasy-Roleplay

I only buy physical.

>Not posting the best national RPG

Qual e OP ?

no luck my end -its either pdf or nothing for now

Never heard about it.

Ok, just researched a little bit about this and I almost want to buy it already. Where the hell was this hiding? Sometimes I think the Brazilian scene lacks more news sites that don’t look like they came from 20 years ago or is just a forum.

Tormenta is bad

t. Brazilian

Here comes poland

Ok so weve had quite a vew of original games most of them got released in late 90s or ealry 2000s
The only one which survived test if time is Neuroshima. Realy basic game about post-,apo in USA with skynet-like Moloch as bigbadguy. Also, rules of this game are so bad that every single group plays it on huge amounts of homebrew. You never know.whats you gonna get when you start a game with new gm.

Other from that there is also huge fanbase of warhammer 1st and 2nd edition. And basicly anything other that got translated during peak of of rpg popularity in poland 20 years ago. Experienced people dont want to learn new rules, new guys dont want to start with systems in foreig language, so you are basicly stuck playing the same outdated systems over and over again

Have you checked your local store? I bought a copy not long ago, it's not really hard to find.

Man, how could I forget Daemon system, made by a true HUEHUE occultist using things from D&D and the magic system of Ars Magica with d% skills.

First time I saw it I thought it was another indie generic medieval fantasy translated by the New Order publisher. I'll look into it.

Thing is, Tormenta(as of the Revised Edition) doesn't run on 3.X anymore(which is just hopelessly broken on a fundamental
level to a degree that none of its various iterations like Pathfinder could *really* fix without it no longer being 3.X).

The Revised Edition is actually based off Star Wars Saga Edition(which wasn't without flaws either but at least had a workable base).

Czech Republic (more like Russian District of Bohemia and Moravia)

Dračí Doupě (Dragons Lair)

-think D&D 1E but made by geniune autists. Released in like 1991 or something, it is stil second most played system, its playerbase is closed minded and frowns upon "smug" players of other better (not a difficult feat) systems.

Stín Meče /shadow of the sword)

-Dračí Doupě clone released shortly after it, has some unique rules such as punishing players for roleplaying instead powergaming by cuting down XP gain. Small but autistic playerbase still persists.

Dračí Doupě + (Dragon Lair +)

-made by maths students, kind of like rolemaster if rolemaster had one table to rule them all instead of several hundreds. Also, every class has its own subsystem and half of a rulebook and there being of them you need whooping 5 books (also includes gamemaster’s manual and monster book) just to get started.

Well, it does not need the D&D books anymore, but the core is still there, the core classes are still there even though they are really different.

But I do agree it’s quite an overhaul from standard 3.5, but I don’t know enough about Star Wars Saga edition to say it is based off that.

Did the gameplay just jump from D&D 1E to rolemaster tables from Dragons Lair to Dragons Lair+ or it already had something similar? Because that seems like quite a jump.

Dračí Doupě 2

-released in early 2010’s this is like Dračí Doupě for neurotypical people. Being a storygame with some serious design flaws, it was met with vocal outcry at the release, did quite poor and thus ended up killing the franchise for good.

Končina (Region)

-steampunk FATAL (has raping satyrs who reprodice xenomorph style and sex slave intersex fairies) with messy system released like 2 years ago. Nobody ever played it. The guy who had the bright idea of including intersex slave fairies now writes children’s books.

Stories of The Empire

-victorian (thus the english name) fantasy. Uses modified FATE so at least the system isn’t shit. Nobody plays it here, but I heard there’s German translation that sees some play, but that might be bullshit.

It’s completely diffrent system, it has nothing in common with the original.

>-think D&D 1E but made by geniune autists.
So Hackmaster?

It's not that bad, even though the trilogy (and the whole lefeu stuff) is the only thing i actually like about the setting.

Hackmaster at least has the excuse of being a parody.

>released in early 2010’s this is like Dračí Doupě for neurotypical people. Being a storygame with some serious design flaws, it was met with vocal outcry at the release, did quite poor and thus ended up killing the franchise for good.
Why would they release a completely different game under the same name?

This actually makes sense, given the setting.

Isn't Tormenta indirectly implying "Hentai" sex with the various races?

The hell are you talking about?

I think the Minotaurs are kidnapping elves for breeding or something, but i cant' recall the details.

Oh that. Yes, minotaurs are legit a slave culture that need to breed with females of other races. Their god postulates that the weak must obey the strong and the strong must protect the weak. It's iffy, but no one used to think anything about it when they were just a kingdom in the middle of nowhere, but now they conquered a third of the known world and are a legit evil empire (even though the authors swear its shades of grey).

Are there any pdfs available? I assume not in English.

>Their god postulates that the weak must obey the strong and the strong must protect the weak.
>legit evil empire (even though the authors swear its shades of grey).
That doesn't seem evil to me.

The first is tyrannical and the second is an excuse to make it seem legitimate

We have a great deal of native publication I think. We constantly have new games on the market and they somewhat sell. Mainly, the different editors in France are all very passionate about rpg, making it a bit easier to have a book published.

The Call of Cthulhu community in particular is great, there is a lot of players and every books is translated

They made a surprise attack on their former allies to conquer all that land and get more slaves in a time where everyone else was dealing with demos raining from the skies and a goblin, hobgoblin bugbear alliance of prophecy coming from the south.

Sure, there are PC minotaurs, but those are usually not slavers and uphold mostly the protect the weak part. There is a prestige class that is a Minotaur Bodyguard that gets buffs to carry the cleric away from shit and take damage for others.

Still. Dicks for sure, evil? No. They took the opportunity to conquer the weak exactly to protect them from all the mess you wrote.

Tyrrany, protecting the weak, adding slavery to it. Evil still, even if they consider it some sort of necessity.

Finland here, we got our first Finnish-language game in 1985 or -86 (Acirema, which as been translated rather recently into English!), followed by a number of others in the same period - Miekka ja Magia (literally "Sword and Sorcery") is probably the most famous one. Then there's pic related.

The big boom began in 1988-89 when the D&D Red Box and Runequest (3rd Edition) were translated into Finnish.

I'm not so certain on recent developments, but I do know about something called Ultima Thule, which is about playing in Iron Age Finland. Never played it, though.

>Dračí Doupě
If somebody told me to guess what this name meant from my Serbian perspective I would say "Dragon's butt".

I've been waiting for this thread to return!

The latest update on my project to translate 5th Ed. Drakar och Demoner's setting, Chronopia (the RPG, not the wargame*) : 11 books done to a relative rate, working on the 12th book, and all that's left are the three scenario books.

Probably means they don't look fake like in almost all fantasy art.

Pathfinder never made a real attempt to fix 3.5. Apparently there's a game called Fantasy Craft that actually does fix 3.5, I've never played it though and no one else seems to either.

Women have their tits out because christians and shit didn't ruin that for everybody.

WHY IS THIS NOT TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH?

I've been wondering about Kamigakari, it seems to have a general up pretty consistently but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else. Is it one of those things that are obscure but really liked a lot by the people who like it?

>might start the game dead

So you have to roll another charcater out of nowhere?

>nocturnal-media.com/games-1/#/new-page-4-1/
>kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/aquelarre-the-dark-and-mature-medieval-rpg-now-in

You restart the creation process.

>mass rapists that make harems of sex slaves
>just dicks, not evil

The world is a good place.

What's a wongo?

Wongos are one of the Blackblood races (Goblinoids or Greenskins in other settings) and are a mix or goblins and halflings that look and act like little Mandarins, and have their own triad, the Ikki. I equate them with hobgoblins, although they are more like Robin Goodfellow than D&D or Warhammer hobgoblins.

Another setting-specific race name is the Mulvak, which are some imp familiars with reptilian traits.

>never said before they were mass rapists
>never said it were sex slaves
Admit, you can't comprehend that it is the duty of the strong to protect the weak, and this is not an evil act. That the weak should serve the strong as a token of gratitude, and that is not evil.

The Minotaurs of Tapista annexed their territory to protect them from the demons and the goblinoid alliance.

They are sex slaves. Minotaurs can only reproduce with other races and the way they do it in their empire is with sex slave harems. It’s written there. They favor specially elves because of their beauty and the fact their goddess decided to yield to the Minotaur god.

It's not rape if she's a slave. Who are you to tell people how to use their property?

Everyone else who isn’t really happy you took their daughter by force?

I collected its magazine series, but never actually played it. My friends weren't into it (and not actually my friends ;_;)

what's going on with the universe now? last thing I am aware is that Arsenal is ded and Valkyria is alive again

also, you forgot to mention Daemon books. Trevas, Invasão, Hi-Brazil. They were interesting, even if mostly dead even at their peak

I still don't see how this could be evil. He saved the elf girl from death on the hands of demons, he's only asking to help his race survive. If they could mate with cowgirls or use magic to reproduce, they would.
You can't call a shark evil because it kills to feed. You can't call a Minotaur from Tapista evil because the only way to reproduce is with women of other races.

The demons are not that much of a problem as they are only now getting near the civilized world, other than wiping not!Japan, and the kingdoms affected were not inside the area the Minotaurs conquered. They have done absolutely nothing to help against the big threats.

Also everyone needs another person to reproduce, most of us does not need slaves to do so. Surely they could find some fine lasses into toned bodies that don’t mind the horns.

At least when I still read about it over a decade ago, the Red Storm (Tormenta) is devastating. So obviously the minotaurs couldn't take lands already tainted. They're amassing forces. And this without even taking in account the goblinoid alliance, murdering and pillaging.

Still. Not. Evil.

>this is what Brazilians actually believe

You're the kinda person that believes terms such as "sexual emergency", aren't you?

>You can't call a Minotaur from Tapista evil because the only way to reproduce is with women of other races.
They don't have to rape them though, women would be lining up around the block for bull dick.

Germany Here. RPG Scene had a resurgence in the last years which is now ebbing.

International Systems enjoy success
- Pathfinder
- D&D
- Shadowrun (faded in popularity)

oWoD was ubiqous before the relaunch and the goth scene faded

Biggest local System is "Das Schwarze Auge(The Dark Eye)" which is a story oriented fantasy system with an insane amount of surface detail and a slightly homey feel which has aged well. Recently there was a split-off called Splittermond (Splintermoon).

There are other, smaller local systems which have their dedicated fans (for example Midgard)

RPGs are only available in Specialty stores (though in my youth the dark eye was available in all toy stores). Though popularity has faded somewhat excellent sales of trading card games, wargames and tabletops keep the stores in business.

Form what I have seen in our local club we have a bigger stream in of new people than ever, also people who are pretty normal, in a good sense.

I think the ebb you are talking about is just the new generation realising that RPGs don't have to induce seizures and try other RPGs than DnD.finder or the dark eye.