/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

How often do you give your players downtime? How much do you usually give them?

As often as they want to take it, and as long as they want to. This however comes with the drawback that events can and will happen while they're sitting around, so if they got a hot tip on the big bad doing x they need to move asap or else it could be too late.

I like to give them a week or so after each major quest.

Honestly in order to make sense you need at least a month if not a year between level-ups.

How long do you give a DM before coming to a conclusion on whether or not you want to continue being part of their game?

5 sessions? More? Less?

Is Elven Accuracy worth it on an Eldritch Blast Warlock?

Anyone watched the new Critical Role? Is it worth watching? Is Kayleth (whatever her name is) less retarded?

I've played two one-shots with a guy who invited me to his upcoming campaign. I'll have to find some excuse, because I don't like his style. It's actually mostly his lack of eloquence and strange speech patterns. It's too distracting, and something I try to be acutely aware of when I DM.

My Warlock is about to level up, I wanna make sure I get this right before I multiclass as a Bard:
>Warlock 6/Bard 2
>7 warlock spells known, 5 bard spells known
>2 warlock spell slots, 3 bard slots
>can use spell slots for ANY spells from either of my classes
>The 2 "warlock" slots are regained after a short rest even if I use them to cast bard spells; 3 bard slots same deal, but for long rest/warlock spells
The PHB doesn't mention warlocks in the spellcasting section of multiclasssing so I'm not 100% sure, but this is my best guess.

For me it's just I was expecting some sort of plot, but it's already feeling more like monster of the week type stuff.

yeah, keep in mind that warlocks aren't spellcasters, they're pact mages, so warlock levels aren't counted towards your spellcaster level.

Absolutely

What is it with critical role and the Raven Queen.
She's the shittiest written god written in DnD lore, hamfisted into the canon by Mearls, and yet she's constantly brought up.

is the Raven Queen Mearls' waifu?

She's essentially a dnd version of The Morrigan, who is one of the coolest deities in mythology. Just because your goth highschool crush rejected you doesn't make the RQ a shitty concept.

Probably yes. He even shoved her into the Hexblade lore, which is very clumsy and obvious.

Sweet thanks

seems to be the most likely explanation

It's up to them. Sometimes they get to a city and there's no rush on their next stop so they get downtime.

It's never been more than a week though. One of my players loves to craft potions and weapon oils and with enough downtime he could drown the party in basic healing potions and keep their weapons oiled for months. A week gets him ~10 healing potions with good rolls and ~14 weapon oils since they're an easier DC.

>Malleable Illusions: Starting at 6th level, when you cast an illusion spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can use your action to change the nature of that illusion (using the spell's normal parameters for the illusion), provided that you can see the illusion.
>Shadow Blade is an illusion
So, uh, how can I change the nature of that sword? Can I turn it into a greatsword or a halberd or a frying pan?

I wonder who could be behind this post

Alright then, what's the best way to get advantage at range with Eldritch Blasts?

the interesting thing is her having ascended from a mortal to a god, rather than being born one

>Using the spell's normal parameters for the illusion)

No

I think the implication that she could be the true patron is way more interesting than just a talking sword. It also makes more sense for a hexblade to take tome pact if it's actually her behind the power.

in this case the spell's "normal parameters" wont allow you to change anything.

What does that phrase even supposed to mean? What is a "normal parameter"?

Why would I ever want Raven Queen to be my patron, if I want to be Elric, or Arthas? I don't want some shitty 4E reject, I want a talking sword. If I wanted her, I would be a Raven Queen warlock.

The rules set by the spell such as
>Must fit within 5ft cube
or
>It deals 2d8 psychic damage on hit and has the finesse, light, and thrown properties (range 20/60)

What does that user's highschool crush have to do with the raven queen?

most illusion spells say something like "can be any object up to 5ft cube" so you can CHANGE the object.

shadow blade is a shadow blade and can only be a shadow blade

I think we can all agree Hexblade fucked up by not just giving the warlock an sentient blade

Well, technically you have one via your Hex Warrior feature. Who's to say your Patron can't talk through it or your Pact of the Blade weapon?

I mean, it still can be a sentient blade if you want it to be

>reflavoring

>DM gives us some downtime to RP, interact with NPCs etc
>This one faggot just keeps moving his token forward and refuses to interact with anything that's not an enemy
I hope he gets himself killed soon.

>Characters who RP get benefits like gold and magic items while his character gets nothing

I'm debating picking up Suggestion or Phantasmal Force as my 2nd level spell for Sorcerer, anyone have any stories to tell regarding these that'd convince me?

So I need a little help racebuilding

For months I been tinkering with races for my campaign. During a game one of my fellow player's says "I like dragonborn but they were not what I was imagining when I heard their name, i thought I was getting something like half dragons, or rather people with dragon characteristics".
This got me thinking, he was right, I actually wanted half-dragons more than dragonborn, and have wanted them since 3rd edition. So half-dragons became one of the races of my campaign.

I'm a stickler for balance so it takes me a long time to really finish anything because I'm always tweaking, thinking something is too weak or too strong. I am pretty close with the half dragon, but it needs like 2 small features, one I need some help with.

Here is what I got so far...

Half-Dragon Race
+1 Cha, +1 Con
Speed: 30 feet
Size: Medium
Draconic Ancestry. You have draconic ancestry. Choose one type of dragon from the Draconic Ancestry table. Some features are affected by this choice.
Gift of the Blood: Choose one of the following benefits
1) Dragon's Presence: Your draconic qualities give you an aura of both majesty and absolute authority, you are proficient with the persuasion or the intimidate skill
and have the ability to exude your authority over others, you can use an action to cast the Command spell as a 1st level spell,
at level 3 the spell can be cast as a 2nd level spell. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell, once used this feature
cannot be used again until you have finished a long rest.
2) Dragon's Vigor: Your scales are thicker and more numerous on your body, your physiology altered to be more resilient. Your hit point maximum
increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level. You also gain damage resistance to a damage type determined by your Draconic Ancestry.
3) Dragon's Strength: ???
Force of Ego: You have advantage on all Charisma saving throws.

What should i make the 3rd option?

Isn't that most gods though?

That doesn't seem to bother him.
Why do people do this? Why play a game if you're going to ignore 50% of the content?

Not really. But persuasion is basically an autosuccess persuasion thato nly lasts an hour before the guy changes their mind and phantasmal force is like an autosuccess intimidation that requires actions until they succeed to change their mind, though if you dismiss it early it lasts forever.

Do you need persuasion or intimidation?

The Darkness spell.

Phantasmal Force is good, make a clone of yourself to fight alongside. I have a Swords Bard who will be doing this

also note all my races get a level 1 feat, thus why the attributes are only +1s

How the fuck is this noticeably different from dragonborn? Just reflavour dragonborn as halfdragons, not everything needs a fucking homebrew.
Sheesh.

>only magic items that explicitly say such require attunement
What are the most magic items a character could wear/wield?

thanks for the help

Would it be weird to ask the group if they would be willing to chip in for a group picture commission?

dragonborn get diddly shit in terms of racials
elemental resistance and a breath weapon that's near useless by level 5, that's fucking it. meanwhile elves, dwarves, gnomes, they get a complete gaggle of shit. I wouldn't homebrew a race with 2 racials and call it a day. I think racial abilities are good flavor.

is Brute better or worse than Champion?

yes

So is a ghost the best possible undead a necromancer can get command of with Command Undead without it getting to make a saving throw everyday?

>Anyone watched the new Critical Role? Is it worth watching? Is Kayleth (whatever her name is) less retarded?

First episode was just last week. It will be up on youtube on monday (unlisted, so you'll have to find it through geekandsundry's website or channel) if you want to watch it. Weather or not it's worth watching is purely a matter of personal taste. Some people love it, some people hate it, but overall it hasn't changed much - other than new characters and a new campaign.

And Keyleth is gone (well, technically she still exists in the universe, being an archdruid) but Marisha (the actress) is still there. She's playing a human Monk this time, named Beauregard. And judging by the first episode, no, Keyleth was not "an act," Marisha just frequently fails at comprehension or managing her attention. She's just naturally a bit ditzy, playing D&D with her friends.

Just call them Dragonborn, General Type, or Dragonborn GT for short.

Better at combat, worse at skills

In theory:
10 rings
Shoes
Bottom
Belt
Amulet
Head
Bracers
Cape
Shield
Weapon
So a character could possibly have up to 20 magical items, up to 3 of which would require attunement. I'm not sure what the best list of items would be in this case, though. Especially the rings, there's likely going to be some duplicates there.

>Anyone watched the new Critical Role? Is it worth watching? Is Kayleth (whatever her name is) less retarded?
Yes I liked it. These are the characters. Marisha is playing the monk, she seems to going for a chill drunk lady.

Half Dragons literally exist in FR though. They're infertile Human+Dragon (in humanoid form) hybrids. Half dragons even exist in the MM (Half-Dragon champion) and there's even a whole campaign that features them (Tyranny of Dragons).

Also, that picture is hawt but half dragons are supposed to have fucking tails.

>those stats
>those races
>that homebrew class
Holy fuck what a disaster.

That bit where Matt was describing the caged monster and she said "What does it look like?" gave me fucking conniptions.

The rest are fine so far.

I'm still angry about that foolish Samurai errata not trying to go back to the past edition.

Apparantly Liam is playing another "My life is suffering" and "I wear black to match my soul" snowflake? Honestly his constant segweys into DRAMA® and the resultant jarring tone shift annoyed me more than the stuff people complain about Marisha doing.

And he's a wizard, opening up even more avenues to power-gaming, arguing with the DM and generally trying to exploit his class.

doesn't wearing more than one ring per hand explode your hand? Even then couldn't you wear multiple rings per finger if you could multiple per hand?

Its actually pretty exciting! Talisan is playing the Blood Hunter, and is playing them super jovial. Like he does fortune tellings and works with a carnival. I'm happy to finally see the blood hunter in play without it being super edgy.

I feel like his chacter was just tired. It did not feel edgy, just slightly socially akward and tierd all the time. Its still too early to tell desu.

Nah, he's just kind of a sleepy, grungy hobo wizard. More "low key" than "edgelord".

>those stats
Matt has them roll for stats, 4d6 drop lowest arrange as desired. BUT - they get full rerolls if the total is under 70. Naturally this makes for some pretty bonkers stats, but it also allows the non-minmaxer actors to pair pretty much any race/class combo without horribly gimping themselves.

>those races
The goblin rogue is a joke; one of the players (Liam) picked it for another player (Sam) purely because Sam is a fucking genius at RP and he wanted to give him some fertile ground.

>that homebrew class
Was literally made for Vin fucking Diesel, shortly after The Last Witch Hunter movie was made. Matt put it up on DMsguild afterwards.

i believe they got rid of that rule, as a rule. and now every ring (i believe) requires attunement. Thus more or less accomplishing the same thing.

>those stats
They use 4d6D1 and then reroll if the total is lower than 70

We have no idea why he's a grungy hobo wizard, but previous experiences mean he has to prove to us he's not an edgelord, rather than us assume he is not. The last session does not bode well for him not playing an edgelord.

Jester is precious.

Someone here has ever tried Dan Coleman's Dungeons on Demand?

I have no idea how people got Liam's new character as being edgy

he could be, but Liam really didn't do or say that much and just came across as tired and/or weird

TL;DR version: Because one of the players was playing an edge character, and after fucking up super hard and making a deal with her, double-downed on it to get the power needed to keep his party members alive, even if it cost him his life (which, in the end, it did).

Again, like most things related to D&D, it depends upon the setting. Assuming we're talking about Forgotten Realms, probably half of the current pantheon was originally a mortal who assumed the mantle of godhood after the old one died. And then there's the whole Time of Troubles bullshit, when all but two gods (Ao and Helm) were depowered and forced to wander the earth as super powerful, but mortal, creatures.

>Was literally made for Vin fucking Diesel, shortly after The Last Witch Hunter movie was made. Matt put it up on DMsguild afterwards.
Its also on D&DByond, which means we will be seeing a lot more of them.

Does any class get horribly gimped with bad racial stats, outside of monk and paladin?

You used to be unable to wear multiple per hand, but 5e doesn't have any such rule iirc. You could possibly wear multiple per finger, but that would keep you from being able to wield anything and possibly keep you from using somatic components of spells due to the lack of being able to move your fingers.

Jester was surprising for me because Laura's used the character on two other occasions for one-shots.

Liam just comes off as edgy. That's the problem - he has to actively work against it or it's just the way his cards seem to fall.

I guessed Travis was the Half-Orc from the silhouette but I honestly was expecting him to be a Blood Hunter, he seemed really interested in the lycans in the last campaign. Excited to see him with a sapient weapon again though, asking the evil sword if it has a female setting remains one of my favourite moments from their last campaign. It'll be good to see him not being hamstrung with a low INT character too considering Travis probably has the most common sense out of them after Sam.

Ah good, I haven't actually been able to watch it yet so I've just been going off what other people have been saying.

>I have no idea how people got Liam's new character as being edgy

He spent the entire last campaign acting like a brooding, devious piece of shit... And he starts his next one playing a character that comes across as tragic and brooding.

>sapient weapon again though,
We do not know if the Falchion can speak or if Matt rules that Hex Warrior gives him a sentient weapon or even if he is allowing Hexblades to have sentient anythings.

There're 4 rings that don't require attunement in the DMG. Ring of Swimming, Ring of Water Walking, Ring of Animal Influence, and Ring of Three Wishes. I'm not sure about if there's any in other official material.

Most fans thought Travis was going to go Blood Hunter and do the Lycan subclass in it, because Travis himself admits to being a huge werewolf fanboy.

I honestly think Taliesin and Travis agreed to swap their classes upon realizing how they cared more about the character's personality and less about the crunch behind them.

>now every ring (i believe) requires attunement.
There are a few exceptions. From the DMG, you don't need attunement for the Ring of Water Walking, Ring of Swimming, or the Ring of Three Wishes. The rest of them do require you to be attuned to them, though.

I fucking love Goblins as PCs and I can only imagine what Sam Riegel will do with that.

Yeah, it appeared on D&D Beyond because D&D Beyond is sponsoring the entire fucking campaign, and it's a little hard to have your actors use your product when their homebrew class doesn't exist on the platform. Unfortunately, most of the D&D community can't put 2 and 2 together to realize this, so now we have a dearth of people going OMFG IS BLUUD HUNTAR OFFICIAIAL!???!

The answer is no. No it's not.

Why was it flavored as the Raven Queen in the first place?

I think Laura just wanted to explore Jester in a full campaign and not resign her to one-shots, when she doesn't have the opportunity to fully explore the personality of the character in such a short timeframe.

dearth means the opposite of what you think

>mfw you get people on Roll20 who ask if the Gunslinger archetype is allowed

Probably because Mearls wants to hamfist the Raven Queen into 5e somehow, seeing as Kelemvor is already a decent enough God of Death in FR, and this would probably be the easiest way to do so.

>Cute blue healslut Draenei with a Russian accent

There's gotta be at least one homosexual in the party, I'm worried it's her.

Travis probably wanted a caster after suffering through all those battles where he kept having to deal with a flying or teleporting enemy with no way close the gap.

I still think Vax should have handed over his overpowered Boots of Haste to Grog, he didn't really need them once he got his Final Fantasy Kingsglaive dagger.

Fair point. I actually kind of like Jester, too, so hopefully it pays off.

Yep you're right, I'm a fucking moron. Too much multitasking does that to me

>Laura's used the character on two other occasions for one-shots.

Really? Which ones were those?

Laura had a huge ladyboner for Zahra. I haven't seen any of the one-shots where she played a Tiefling but I fully expected her to roll on in the new campaign

kind of disappointed she's not running her Lust voice from Fullmetal Alchemist but then she basically would just be Zahra I suppose

I've wanted to play a Hexblade so bad, but the lore attached to it has never made me make the leap. I want to make a character that isn't associated with the Raven Queen, but the archetype is explicitly built around the Raven Queen.

Naw it's Beauregard. She was already hitting on Yasha in the very first episode.

Speaking of Yasha, I am so fucking happy that Ashley is playing a grumpy dead-pan Aasimar Barbarian. It's gonna be great. Now if only she was a regular player.

>he didn't really need them once he got his Final Fantasy Kingsglaive dagger.

I thought he had those the entire campaign?

Yasha a cute. CUTE.

>Naw it's Beauregard

I don't even remember who Beauregard was.

One was with GameSpot, one was with KindaFunny. I'm sure if you search around you can find them.