Stat the wise man Veeky Forums

Stat the wise man Veeky Forums

Too pure for this world/10.

We miss you, Bob. Say hi to Mr. Rogers for us.

This

Bard
Str:5
Dex:16
Int:13
Wis:20
Cha:18

>can spend one hour painting to inspire all party members for 6 hours. Requires artist tools
>advantage on animal handling checks
>cast prismatic spray 3x per day
>cast prismatic wall 1x per day

>The king is in need of knowing his own realm more
>Hires him to paint the lands on his kingdom.
>Forest are full of happy little far
>Mountains are full of happy little goblins
>Each troll on the rivers and caves are happy because they aren't alone anymore, instead everyone has a friend.

>Gotta have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come.
Bullshit! Any semi-sane human being would choose pure good over some good. Sadness doesn't make people appreciate the good times. The good times make people appreciate the good times. Sadness is an essential emotion to survival, but feeling it is not essential to living, because it's a bad thing to feel sadness for a reason. Happiness is good because of qualities independent from the experience of sadness.

Being happy all the time won't work. You'll lose your reference and lapse into apathy

i think the argument is more that being sad grants you greater perspective on how valuable being happy really is. also, it's worth pointing out that happiness is equally an essential emotion to survival, as all emotions are so i'm not really sure about where you're coming from with that.

>this is what millennials actually believe

If someone were to kill your pet would that make things better than just being apathetic?
From a psyche standpoint, what's wrong with tranquility undisturbed by imbalance and stress?

Suffering is not necessary if it can be prevented. Many diseases were a part of life until science and technology said it didn't have to be. Substantial accumulation of wealth was considered exclusive to the fortunate until industrialization enabled it for the common person.

I hope for your sake that you don't get polio, old man.

People need a challenge, something to strive for. Without it they devolve into apathy and lose the will to do anything, becoming a parasite on society.

See NEETs for an example.

Challenge does not need sorrow or agony as the consequence of failure.

i'm still waiting on those good times, bob.

You missed the point. Epicureanism teaches that pleasure is the absence of suffering, not the absence of hardship or difficulty, and Bob isn't advocating breaking your leg or killing your dog every couple of months to spice things up. The two statements are entirely compatible.

You’re playing devils advocate and it’s too obvious. Good try though

There's a phrase of taking things for granted.

Sorrow and agony ARE the challenge. You won't really, truly know who you are until you see yourself at your lowest point.

Absent of problems to solve, people create new problems. There is always something to bitch about. Our brains are wired to seek out anger and chase the rush of a foe slain, a problem solved, a challenge beaten. Contentment is transitory.

(You)

i don't know where you're getting the idea that i said suffering is necessary

it's not necessary, but it is inevitable that it is going to happen. the philosophy of adopting sadness as a tool for enriching your perspective of what happiness is is just making the best of a bad thing