Crossbreeds

How do you handle Cross breeds in general in your campaign or how you play them, such as Half-elfs, Half-orcs, and other such cross breeds?

Whats the weird crossbreed you ever encountered?

Cross-breeds are rare but not unheard of in my setting. The races are different and have for the most part, no common ancestor, but many of them are magical and if the right set of circumstances may occur, or if shape shifting is used, an half-breed child will be born.
It's all a matter of percentile.
The likelihood of an elf and human having a child is 100 to 1 and if the mother is human the pregnancy could be harmful dew to elves natural magical radiation.
A human and a dwarf have a 500 to 1 chance of having a baby and the birth is almost always fatal unless a c-section is preformed cause of the different proportions of human and dwarf anatomy.
The likelihood of elf and dwarf offspring is 200 to 1 but the child will be born with a mental disorder due to the different shapes in elf and dwarf brains and the conflicting internal magics of the two races. An elf mother may also experience hemorrhaging during birth due to the half child head shape.

I go the elder scrolls route. You are whatever your mother is.

That or you can only get half-breeds within one generation. You are either half of something, or completely one or the other. Otherwise it gets to be too much.

Just to point out, your pic isn't a crossbreed. It's a Githyanki.

For some reason, tons of people shit on the idea of crossbreeds, and it typically either comes from the idea that you can't crossbreed non-related species, or being /pol/tier scum trying to stealthily tell people about how blacks and whites shouldn't have kids.

Either way, I don't give a shit. If it makes a fun character and it doesn't break immersion, it shouldn't matter. Besides, most humanoids are supposedly related by a close ancestor, and D&D doesn't have to follow real world genetic rules anyway. It clearly isn't trying.

I have tons of Half-breeds
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Half-Fey
I even have rules in cases where two neighboring towns that might be on the border of two countries where they might be two different races, So a human might have elf ears, or A stout Female human might have a Dwarf beard etc.

As far as naming conventions go
for all races, Mothers choose the first name, Fathers choose the last name.
Half races tend to have traditional names so a Half-Elf might be named 'Johnathan Marinna'
or 'Blasa Belmont'

I like to toss one odd NPC into almost all of my games, a half-Pixie half-Storm Giant.
Half breeds are fine, the issue comes from thinking they'd be common. True, to our Veeky Forums sensibilities we'd all love to breed with an elf or orc, but people favour members of their own race over those of others in the vast majority, especially when there's no multicultural societies and easy forms of worldwide travel and communication.

user, that's a githyanki.

If it exists in the source books, it exists in my setting

they are as frequent as it is logically possible for the races in question to interact
So Half-Elves and Half-Orcs are relatively frequent, while Tieflings, Aasimar, and Genasi are mostly the stuff of legend.

would you allow a Myconid to be played?

if WotC somehow released a playable version

The kid is whatever the mother is but has some traits of the father.

Human M + Halfling F = Taller than average Halfing

The traits the kid Inherits is random

Use 19th century infographs about mix breed humans.

gas

Pics pls

i had myconids in my custom campaign. love the things.

it's just the most 'out there' race that's still technically playable, personally I'm half-elf trash

They don't exist. Half-orcs are orcs and half-elves are humans. Humans are not the jack-of-all-trades totipotent race, they're the diplomatic one.

>elder scrolls

I gotta admit, I'm getting really sick of Veeky Forums gobbling this series' cock.

>they're the diplomatic one.

A MUCH more original idea, of course.

Half-races were a mistake.
I wouldn't allow them at all, and explain half-orcs and such as regional sub-races.

Generally, most humanoid races can interbreed, but the offspring will always be the same species as the mother. Except for certain rare and specific combinations of species, it's only when humans are involved that you get "half-Xs", and even then, that's not always a given.

When they exist, half-races are true-breeding; you don't "breed out" that special mixture. This is most evident with half-elves.

I love the "non-grimdark, non-fugly" take on Muls as seen in 4th edition, have a current setting that makes heavy use of Half-Gnomes and "Kangaroo Ratfolk" (born intermittently to ratfolk/rabbitfolk couples), and had a Hollow World setting planned once where one of the major races was intended to be Drow/Orc hybrids.

Crossbreeds cannot exist naturally. Any crossbreed that does exist is the result of a magical experiment and therefor likely to be very powerful and highly unstable. Most crossbreeds have an extremely short lifespan, often only a few days before starting to rapidly degenerate. The ones that don't degenerate are practically immortal, sustained as they are by the magical energies that created them.

the player races are humans, dinomen and bugmen.
There is no crossbreeding

No crossbreeds in my setting. I just prefer each race to be distinct, without a blending effect that comes with crossbreeds.

Oh get over yourself.

>How do you handle crossbreeds in general?
Humans are freakishly fertile. They have a lot of offspring with the other humanoid races, dwarves elves and orcs, but half-goblins, half-kobolds, and weirder things have been heard of.
>What's the weirdest crossbreed you ever encountered?
Half-krenshar. Basically an anthropomorphic catman who could retract his face.

>Abloo hoo hoo hoo

Cri moar fgt

I made Halfbreed a background for characters. There are 7 distinct races in the setting, and the character can potentially have parentage from any. So they can be half-goblin, half-elf if they want.

Mechanics-wise, it just means they get a second racial trait instead of a background trait (traits are divided into race, region, background, and birthday).

if one of my players are Half-X I ask them what the other half is. Most assume human but if they want to change it up it helps with RP.

The oddest a player wanted to play wass half minotaur half centaur. Horse half on bottom minotaur half on top. I allowed it but damn it was weird.

They don't exist, plain and simple. If a couple is even able to produce offspring, they'll usually be the mother's race.

>Tfw want to play a tribal half orc barbarian character and be as rude and mean as "humanly" possible since even my technically evil character is still a good guy at heart
>Have never played a game where halves said to be a thing and just play something else without bothering to ask

What do you guys think about Half Orcs in particular? How do they usually act in your games, if they exist?