Offtopic W40k thread

Real question here,

Are Tyranids the equivalent of Xenomorphs? What about concerning their power levels, would they be a match in the hypothetical scenario that they meet?

I'm assuming a Space Marine would be on the same level as a fully grown and experienced Yautja (physically and tech wise, they weight the same and have the same site)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cK3aJIB1-EM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tyranid genestealers are the equivalent of xenomorphs

Tyranids in general would fuck over xenomorphs hard as tyranids are a space-faring superpower

FPBP
Xenomorphs are a space parasite that feeds on weak population (or a man made bio creature if we go by the new movie).
also
>Space Marine would be on the same level as a fully grown and experienced Yautja
No, just no. A scout maybe but not a full fledged space marine

Ya, but aren't there a ton of xenomorph variations?

Form the movies and comics I got the vibe that the xenos kinda absorbs some of their host's DNA and then grows with the hosts characteristics

I could totally imagine a trex xenomorph or a spermwhale xenomorph. All we saw in the movies were human-xenomorphs. The closest thing we have to a pure xeno would be that white ass xenomorph from Alien Covenant, and they are still human derived.

Imo, xeno drones (the traditional ones) would be like genestealers, and xeno praetoreans like hyve tyrants. I dunno, both just attack in waves and mass numbers anywy.

But from all we've seen from the movies Yautja are as tough and strong as fuck, besides, from their tech, and the fact they hunt our species for Sport, we can infer that they are wayyy more intelligent than humans.

Man, they can run through several walls unfased (predator 2), rip humans appart with their bare hands, fucking pick up xenomorphs by the tail and slam them around, rip said xenos apart, survive heavy gunfire, without even power armor.

I dunno man, I think Yautjas are on the same level as Space Marines, and it would be really interesting if we ever saw that happen.

Hell, I wanna see what happens when a chestbuster carrying a queen embryo manages to latch on to a genestealer, and a Yautja Prime fighting a Chapter Master with wrist gauntlets and power sword, respectively.

I'd happily put a Yautjas on the level of a Space Marine.

Arnie is basically a Catachan and the pred threw him around like a child.

>Queen Embryo manages to latch onto a genestealer.

The Genestealer instinctively commits suicide or is torn apart by it's compatriots.

>But from all we've seen from the movies Yautja are as tough and strong as fuck
for regular human standards, these are space marines we are talking about
>from their tech, and the fact they hunt our species for Sport, we can infer that they are wayyy more intelligent than humans.
just because they are able to hunt unaware humans with poor equipment weapons and armor dosen't make them smarter than humans, in fact it puts them on the same level of inteligence since thats how we normal humans hunt.
>Man, they can run through several walls unfased (predator 2), rip humans appart with their bare hands, fucking pick up xenomorphs by the tail and slam them around, rip said xenos apart, survive heavy gunfire, without even power armor.
so can Space marines, they also can survive orbital drops, also space marine weapons are substantially more powerful than regular humans, hell a lasgun outclasses all our weapons in damage.
>Hell, I wanna see what happens when a chestbuster carrying a queen embryo manages to latch on to a genestealer, and a Yautja Prime fighting a Chapter Master with wrist gauntlets and power sword, respectively.
i would like to see it too but if they were to fight the space marine will win.

>(or a man made bio creature if we go by the new movie).

Actually, they are an Engineer-made bioweapon/highly mutagenic agent/mycelium/thing , that:

A) either wipes out the host's DNA and desintegrastes them (in the case of Engineers).

B) Infects and wipes out all local population of a planet, by turning and mutating all carbon lifeforms based lifeforms into hosts or vectors of itself.

In the case of plant material, things like sap, polen or spores all carry the mutagenic agent, and all plant life is mutated and also hosts the agent.

In the case of whatever living organism this bioweapon doesn't liquefy, it will infect the host and use it's mutagenic properties to gestate a basic carnivorous lifeform out of the host's biomass and dna, which will pop out of the host, and proceed to gather biomass in order to create a nest and propagate the species.

Xenomorphs don't really have a standard appearance, they will invariably end up looking like a Xenomorph-Infected Species mix

Let me dream damn you

Arnie would've been a heavily augmented Catachan Major Veteran or some shit.

He nailed a dude to a wall, with a Bowie knife, by throwing it, from more than 100 feet, by the handle, and the knife came out the other side of the wall.

I think Arnie's character was supposed to be a level 100 warrior in that film.

I was about to argue against you but the more I thought about it, the more I think you have a point.

If we take 2's Pred as the average Predator then they have a more accurate, stable plasma gun along with other useful gadgets like the net and disc. I'm also assuming that their cloaking tech can fool a Marine's helmet, although it's not a perfect cloak anyway so a Marine may spot them anyway. Where they fall down is the lack of armour, and their blades are just acid-resistant swords.

Whilst the average Marine just has a knife and a bolter, that's more than enough to fuck the Predator up if they can get a good shot. They also have heavy armour, and whilst this probably wouldn't give total protection against the plasma it would definitely give the edge in close quarters and against other weapons.

Really it comes down to if the Predator can ambush the Marine successfully and take it out from range. If not and it reveals itself then the Marine can probably get the upper hand by closing the distance, or even just using their bolter.

Daily reminder that Predator's equipment is hunting gear and is made to limit their capacity to hunting. They have separate war gear which is way more powerful though they don't use it for hunting as it's not sportsman like.

Which is? back that claim with some facts my dude, i wan't to know the exact details.

>I think Yautjas are on the same level as Space Marines

No way.
>youtube.com/watch?v=cK3aJIB1-EM

And that's a super predator.

They show them throughout the media in various places.
Best example is in AvP Extinction when they start sending out predators that have rapid fire plasma casters, plasma scythes, forcefields, and other crazy gadgets. All while sporting full armor.

>I think Arnie's character was supposed to be Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in that film

i can't say im impressed Tbqh, maybe i'm seeing the wrong guy but i still can't see something that would threat a space marine on a head on fight.

Preds are Worfed often in the comics, but it is established that they reserve their military gear from actual threats to their homeworld or clanships.
A good example is in the comics, Weyland Yutani outfits a squad of Colonial Marines in the absolute most cutting edge tech at humanity's disposal to take on a pred clan. They don't last a day, and score no kills.
Their plasmacasters have been shown to cut right through tank armor, and their elders have been shown to fight other groups of preds, unarmed and armored, while they have full hunting gear (caster/spear/net/disc/wristblade/maul) and win unscathed. They do it as a matter of training and sport, as well as a show of dominance.
I do think that a blooded warrior would be a match for a line tactical, but a battlefield situation I'd give to marines simply due to how battlefield situations is what they train for, while preds generally operate in teams no larger than 5.
I have statted out Yautja for the rpgs, and on the whole, based on what I have seen in comics/games/movies, they are as much a threat in a stand up brawl as a space marine, but can be defeated with concentrated firepower.
Somewhere between a genestealer and a space marine in total threat, genestealer's stealth tactics and a space marine's strength and battle caliber.

That said, Yautja, especially against "lesser prey", have been shown to be cocky as fuck and underestimate what can be brought to bear, as well as the previous military example not being shown, but an after action report with some vid feed showing weapons that had never been seen before and armor previously unseen on hunts.
The baseline exists in the Aliens universe on what they can do, but as usual, there is no human equivalent baseline that works for 40k, so ymmv.

Now I want to make a night lords warband based on predators.

At that point you're bringing elite units to a regular space marine vs predator fight, so the space marines can bring out the big toys, mainly the terminator armor and the dreadnoughts. And if we count veicles theres no end to what space marine chapter can bring, from russes to baneblades to titans.
i can give you a lot of leeway to how strong the predators elites are but there's no way they can stood against that.

And you are treating preds geared for a hunt, which is supposed to be challenging, hence the lesser equipment, as the baseline for an actual military engagement.
That has been shown to not be the case in multiple sources. Now, to be fair, they would go in with hunting equipment if the purpose was a hunt for respectable prey, but if it was a military engagement, or the clan ship was threatened, they pull out the big guns with no qualms for things like hunter's honor, because the destruction of a clan ship is call for something near hara-kiri.
I don't think a hunter group could take on a tac squad, maybe deal a few casualties, but a true engagement would be something else entirely. But there is no basis to judge by because while the Alien's universe has established baselines for military equipment compared to real life, 40k doesn't. For example, the phased plasma gun used by the Colonial Marines, an infantry weapon, can level a city block and pen medium tanks, which in the Alien's universe, can survive a nuclear weapon payload so long as it isn't in the direct blast radius. That's not getting into the vehicle/ship mounted plasma weapons, or how common nuclear munitions are in the Aliens universe because they have the tech to deal with residual radiation.

tl;dr
This is another wank fight, and all I'm really doing is giving you examples of what exists in the Aliens setting, which is surprisingly unknown given it's saturation.
>smartguns are so accurate that up to 4 different gunners can fire at a target and there will be a single bullet hole
>troop carrier aircraft carry a compliment of 8 nuclear missiles each as a matter of standard armament

>And you are treating preds geared for a hunt,
Of course i am, this whole argument began as a base space marine vs base predator, and now you're scaling it to a fight in a situation where they would need the elite gear and am responding appropriately by bringing heavy gear on my own, realistically speaking they would Treminatus the planet and move on to the next one.

The nids use varied tactics. Not "just attacks in waves".
Also no xeno morph can fly. They furthermore need some time to grow in their host. Them lacking the option of taking over planetary ecosystems alone is already their clear defeat.

Yautja are basically Kroots with Tau tech

I'd like to see a chapter that picks initiates by grabbing men who've survived alien infestations or predator hunts. Like the chopper that saves Dutch flies straight up into the bay of a ship, fresh new organs awaiting

The difference is that I already approached that situation.
>I don't think a hunter group could take on a tac squad, maybe deal a few casualties
>I do think that a blooded warrior would be a match for a line tactical
That basically settles that.
What I'm speaking of is an actual military engagement, not a hunt, because most people have no ideal what preds use in battlefield situations, it's buried in comics and material not in movies. It's not "elite units", it's their equipment when they are not in a hunt situation, which has rigid rules of engagement and prescribes specifically allowed equipment and tactics. Hell, according to the rules of the hunt, you aren't allowed to use a plasmacaster while cloaked, because prey can't react to it appropriately (which counters the first Predator movie, that Yautja being a renegade).

in an actual military engagement the space marines are backed by the full might of the imperium, that means billions of men, several thousand vehicles of various sizes and uses from the guard, the cog boys, other chapters if they are in the area, and (unlikely but posible) the inquisition and their assets if need be, all assuming they want the planet and not just wipe them all out with a terminatus

Except I'm talking about only what Yautja themselves bring to a battlefield scenario, you are making it an Imperial crusade, which means this is a wank battle, and I'm bowing out.

>I'm speaking of is an actual military engagement, not a hunt,
>ok, here's what an actual imperial military engagement is like, pretty average one at that.
>Y-you're turning this in a wank battle
Ok then, to recap
you want the space maines to fight alone, as their base units, with bolters and knifes while the predators fight with their planetary invasion repellent armor (because that's not elite gear or anything) and their equaly OP veicles, but i'm power wanking for wanting to evening out the odds.
Kindly fuck off.

not him

theres a difference between full scale total war between planetary powers and small scale squad warfare- which is what im guessing hes on about

so space marines get a tactical squad with whatever those get (flamer/plasma/heavy bolter/whatever) and the yatuja get their proper military gear

it stops being a tactical squad when vehicles are mentioned, not to mention he is talking about gear that only gets out of the closet when a large invasion of their planet is happening.

> ITT: 40k fans argue that an alien that has the same powerlevel as a Space Marine can't fight a space marine.

> All the while 40k fans also think a regular female in power armor can own a Space Marine.

I'm looking at you SoB fanboys

Why do 40k fanboys gotta be such buzzkillers.

40k fan here.

People are arguing a Squad of Tac marines can take on a Pred hunting party.

Which is true.

People are arguing more if the Preds would upgun their teams or just not fight the Space Marines in a standoff scenario.

Military Pred Squad vs Tac Squad would be stomp to the tac squad because Military preds would use Plasma rifles.

Tyranids are not xenomorphs :P
They make have a tie in with their looks, but they are completely different in how they reproduce, think, hunt, and their general threat level to a world. The movies always have the humans being stupid and having a set of vastly convienent coincedences take place in order for the xenomorphs to even be a threat.

The tyranids, however, are planet ending monsters that can wipe out galaxies with very little being able to combat them if a freaking hive fleet arrives.