youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

What brand does /wip/ recommend for high quality detail brushes? Looking to do more freehanding on my Harlequins, but my current stuff (some cheap shit off amazon) doesn't hold up.

Want to make an Old Zogwart model for my buddy who loves him even though he doesn't have rules anymore. Any tips on getting snake bits instead of just rolling greenstuff into little kindergarten play-doh snakes? Squigs are easy enough to find

made this custom banner standard as I don't like guys holding flags in ten man units

How do I get heldrake wings onto the model? The glue doesnt keep it.

bastiladon kit - you might be able to find the bits in question on ebay because I dont think the snake machine is the most popular build

I'm partial to W&N, and honestly GW.

Working on a primaris Lieutenant

Is the finished product

liking that Crystal BBQ Sauce. and the mini is cool too

great idea user I really like the banner base, but why is both that mans arms doing chicken wings?

Besides pic related (wraithlord), does anyone know of bits that are long pieces of cloth?

Just how the kit builds, supposed to look like thrusting or something

Winsor Newton Series 7, Brokentoad, or Raphael 8404 are all great quality sable brushes.

How to you handle being less than what you want to be when it comes to painting your dudes, how do you be okay being shitty and painting poorly despite doing your best and trying to learn? I have expectations and I never live up to them, when I'm done with a dude I'm always disappointed. I don't enjoy it anymore. I use to then I discovered other peoples work and instead of finding inspiration I became crushingly discouraged. I'm pretty upset with myself right now, I snapped over the weekend trying to free hand a banner dude. He was promptly destroyed before I broke all the brushes I had.

Thanks anons, appreciate the advice.

What you watching?

Learn to find satisfaction in improving your own skills. Don't judge your work against stuff you find online, because someone will always be better than you. Judge your work against your previous project instead

damn lad, if it actually bothers you like it does me you can always file the edges of the arms to make them sit on a different angle. otherwhise ohwell, I wouldnt't mind that scenery chest btw, where did it come from?

1) Don't compare yourself too much to others, and when you do, take it as a challenge to one day make a model they'd be proud of.
2) Keep and never strip your oldest, shittiest model. Whenever you feel down, put your newest models next to it and appreciate how far you've come.
3) Take every project as a chance to learn something new. Basing, dry brushing, edge highlighting, osl, whatever you want.
4) Set your expectations as "better than the last one". Not "Golden Daemon winner", not "perfect". Just better.
5) Show them off to your normie friends, or normie family members.
I wasn't happy with my own models for quite a while, and while I'm easily one of the lower-quality posters here, I just love looking at the amazing models posted here and thinking "one day, something like THAT will be in my display cabinet". It's okay to fail in the short-term, because in the long-term you'll get better and paint that beautiful model you've always wanted to!

19-2 on Crave tv

Think I got it from the ogre cannon kit, I don't remember the name but on the gw store it's the one with an ogre holding a cannon on a cart.

EC user here, working on random marine #11. Been wondering, you guys know those nurgle flails? The ones with the sculpted on smoke? I wanna do something with that but have never painted smoke. Does anyone have a guide for that greenish neon smoke that skaven use? Also are the DG helmets lore friendly for EC?

I like how crisp your pink looks, how'd you do it?

Almost finished , not sure what to add.

He’s also magnetized with all options , maybe rust on the blades?

Rusting on the chain?

It's actually super simple. I prime black and then layer with extremely watered down white scar, once there's no black bleeding through I do the same with EC pink. From there I wash the recesses in carroburg crimson followed by a highlight of 50/50 white scare/EC

This is a helldrake I did a while back for my EC army.

God that's fucking cherry.. I wanna get one of those so badly but I'm having a hard time finishing my ten man squad, I don't think I could ever get something like that done.

Pretty good. I like the slickness of the moot/kabalite (?) green highlights, and the sharpness of the contrast between the green and the purple of the inner cloak. The eyes are good too, for a good helmet overall. The base is good, though the thing he's standing on looks weird (though I can't tell what it is).

Now for the critique: Pluck that hair off his backpack, clear up the boltgun streak marks (consider highlighting with a brighter metal?), and consider thinning your paints, it looks a little on the thick side.
And how are you finding the citadel model holder thingamajig?

For blood knights, do you think I should add some skulls here and there for flavor, or just make the armor bronzed with some blood shader for a husky red look?

Awesome! Thanks man.

Also what do you guys think is the chance of Old Zog getting rules when the ork codex comes out? Have they been expanding on special characters?

First time both using zenith highlighting and edge highlighting. How did I do?

Can probabilities be negative?

I'd add more skulls and bat iconography. Right now they just look like Knights, and apparently two are skeletons.

I'm loving the handle I usually mount my dudes on cork but this feels way better in my hand

Check the mega for a tutorial on smoke, the green smoke is just swapping the red and orange with shades of green. As for DG hemlets, I think it would depend on the helmets, a lot of the newer ones are based on mk3 ones and just corrupted and altered so it would matter more on what's displayed on the helm, like nurgle symbols and what not.

I would imagine it's just shades of gray with a bright green glaze on top.

so you model your unit in shackles and bdsm gear?

Yes, but that's beside the point

Ravenwing purity seals are three to four times the length of regular ones.

WIP

Just finished the hazard stripes.
How much shitty are they?

Should I shade them maybe?

Send help I'm addicted to scatter terrain.

Missle on the right one looks weird. Aside from that they are fine. It's a weird model to work with so everything is going to be odd with them anyways

Center has pretty good stripes; i think the main problem is they're not consistent across the unit. A second pass on the other two to get the thickness right would help. All the black stripes need to get filled in on the ends. Pin wash on the rivets. Agree with , missle is an odd choice. Keep at it, they look goood otherwise.

They can be low, and I would bet it is fairly unlikely. They seem to be squatting most "extra" characters and turning the main ones into huge centerpiece models - for the Orks codex I bet they'll release an updated Ghaz and that is it. We will probably be lucky if we even keep Snikrot, Grotsnik, et al.

Gonna paint my first Orks soon anyone got some good Orky specific guides and tips. Not even sure what colors to get and not too sure about primers. Completely new to painting and models in general so any tips or help would be appreciated. (also got some spacewolves but I figured i should practice with my orks first). I'm kinda leaning on Evil Sunz and Blood Axes as the motif I wanted to learn towards but honestly I like all the Ork Clanz and have been having a hard time choosing how I wanted to paint guys so if you guys have any armies id love to see them.

Does anyone know how you'd get the orange-cream colour like in this image? Would working a tiny, tiny amount of a darker orange paint into a base layer of cream then working up with highlights and shades of just normal cream colours give the kind of tone, or would I need to keep a little orange mixed in at every stage?

lightly glaze a really watered down orange over cream

Well Waaagh!s are usually made of multiple Clanz, so you could paint different units as different Clanz (would help differentiate them, too!). As overall advice, thin your paints and keep a nice tip on your brush. Using a wet pallette or keeping your brush wet is always a good idea. And keep a healthy mind about it, your first model is unlikely to win you a Golden Daemon award (my tips for keeping a good outlook: ). For primers, I personally like Army Painter and Citadel sprays, but even something like Rust-O-Leum's Painters Touch primer will work. I personally feel it's worth it to spend the money on miniature primers, but it's up to you.
Beyond that, do colors you like painting, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Also base your models or I'll castrate you myself.

Mark all the shoulders

Finished painting Hag last night. Just have to add water effect to the base later and she'll be finished.

Got the drone all strapped up and ready to spray the haters away. Still have to touch up the white on the top of the face plate , as well as finish up a few minor details like the tips of the sprayers, the little dangly medallion on the back, the spikes on the turbines and place my deadfall and dead plants on the base. Im actually stoked on this guy so far, but would still love any c&c you guys are willing to fling my way

Blocksyourpath.png

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help. So as far as multiple clanz go I was kinda thinking that as well. I'm not really to sure about thinning paints I'm not quite sure what the consistency should be. I'm sure my first models are gonna be fairly rough but im still looking forward to them coming out decently if I put the time and effort in. I'm probably getting a citadel spray but im not sure about the color last time i was at the hobby store they only had white primer. Also I should probably put a list together for paint colors to get so I'm wondering what pallets I should get for an ork. I know I should get some greens (skin) whites (teeth and nails) metals (guns bullets belts etc), Kinda why I was hoping to maybe find a decent guide cause im not sure what colors to get.

The white idea is pretty neat. Whole thing is pretty nice overall m9

Paintjob is nice but it looks really clean

If you have a smartphone/tablet, I'd recommend the Citadel Painting app, great selection of basic colors. There are probably some painting guides in the OP, too, and a number of anons have helpful PDFs. Stick with drybrushing for your first few models, it may not look as neat as edge highlighting, but it's a shitload easier to do.
As for thinning consistency, I usually hear "milk thick", though I don't know if we're talking skim or whole desu. Something I still need to work on myself.
I personally like white primer, I like the more vibrant colors, but I know a number of people here would decry me as heresy for priming my black-armoured Space Marines in white. I might advise a white, grey, or green primer, but I haven't personally done Orks so I won't call myself an authority.

I love the look of the white and that sickly yellow goo this thing looks fantastic. Kinda looks like a rotten egg

I did just get the citadel app but it seems like for orks at least to be pretty limited, I only saw a goff section although it will help for some more basic selection like skin and such so that helps. Ive just started skimming through the op for guides. Dry brushing? Edge highlighting? Im not really quite what sure you mean. I have read milk consistency and just like you It has also left me quite confused. As far as white primer goes I dont know enough about primers to know how it could effect the model but I actually do like vibrant colors, I'm kinda a fan of most of the orks ive seen be it bright and clean looking versus just grimy and grittier looking ones.

Glazed the armor down (and started some other colors) much happier with the armor now.

Painted my first Crimson Fist of many more to come. I really like how it ended up but I think the highlights are the weakest part of the model. It is however the very first time I try to do edge highlighting so I am pretty happy with how it came out.

Rate/hate/contemplate

I love seeing orks with weird skins, can we get a couple more shots of this?

We represent the Lollipop guild!

Considering they’re going to have clan specific rules once their codex comes out I’d stick to a singular clan.

here's the first one I did but stopped because I got frustrated with the armor

I've lost all motivation to paint or model, kill me.

Those are really nice. I love seeing orcs in colors other than green. One of the reasons I drawn into War of the Ring.

These guys are finally about done. Now for more skin highlighting and varnishing.

All of the shitty.

I used to have a purple skaven army ages ago. I approve of your choice of scheme.

it's a good start, the legs could do with another thinner brighter highlight though.
keep it up

So my gf is doing a necromunda/swa -gang out of poxwalkers and a converted Gutrot Spume, but she needs a few shootyboys for her gang.

I was thinking of making her some plague-zombified -guys out of some genestealer neophyte hybrids I've got and so far I've decided on using Mantics ghoul heads for them but what else could I do to nurglify them to fit in with the other nasty horrors?

Very nice. What game are you making these for?

if you're ok with greenstuff then sculpt on the boils and patches of fucked up skin.

Should I add an extreme yellow highlight?

could be cool, as long as it is very extreme

Highlights look good.

Maybe do some touchups on the red though. It bleeds onto the green in a few places.

I think the standard scout heads look bad, trying out some alternatives. How's this? (i'm thinking the double cables doesn't really work)

Looks good to me, could always paint the cables different colors to indicate different use.

That base is dogshit, dumpster this trash ASAP and when dry brushing really wipe the paint off your brush until theres almost nothing left, then brush your base. It'll take longer to get the effect you want but it won't be all chalky and terrible like yours is. Also don't drybrush using whites, they're too bright for any real use except for an extremely extreme highlight on rocks

Look up how to desaturate with paints.

You could try some scions heads. This one looks too techy for a SM scout in my opinion, although you could pull it off with a death world vibe

The breather really compliments the model. The only problem you'll find is that the model looks too goofy with all the tech parts.

Looking for more feedback.

Please be nice.

scion heads is baller m8

Aside from the weathering, the terrain looks flat and dull, but it's terrain so it's not a big deal if it isn't very eye catching. The whole thing is really just grey with weathering. Some edge highlight on the aquillas on the landing pad would make them look better. Are you going to paint the side aqullas on the landing pad bit? Looks odd that they are not painted but the other ones are. The lights being red with brass cages blends a bit, might be the picture though The grates on what I see as the left side do not look like the fit into their spots and have some flash on them, but those things don't fit well on that kit either way. The gaps where you connected the bastions could use some green stuff to fill them in, same goes for the corners. Again it's more a flaw in the kit. Metalics seem unwashed which makes them look odd.

Mostly concur with ; give it a wash at the edges to up the contrast. Honestly, you could probably stop after that. Depends if you want to just game with it or if you're making a diorama out of it.

Painting these shits is a fun break from elves, but I can’t say I’m a huge fan of working with resin. Does this guy need highlights?

How would you go about heavy battle damage fitting a Plague Marine without going too extreme?

My leviathan

Looks good user, I thought that was a malifaux mini at first but its guildball right? Hows the game?

Almost finished.

Done my handgunners. R8 pls
Does anyone know if the new handgunners look weird beside these older ones? Need another ten but I'm unsure what to buy

nice