MTG January 15 Banned and Restricted

Holy shit they just hit the reset button.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-15-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-01-15

Thank god, now I can go back to the FNM without energy and Ramunap fucking me up so badly.

Please buy Rivals now guys.

Good bans.

STOP BANNING SO MUCH YOU STUPID FUCKS IT'S LIKE TRYING TO PUT OUT A GARBAGE FIRE WITH GASOLINE

kek what a shitshow, way to go Wiitards of the Communism

>SOI standard
>wow there's never any rdw decks in standard now
>rdw becomes a thing
>wow burn is so boring i keep losing to it
>rdw gets banned

Literally what the fuck.

The game would just die if they allowed the Energy dominance to go until September. Everyone would die of boredom.

They fucked up too much in these last two years and purging everything back to 0 is the only way to fix it, at least for a while.

This game is a total shitshow. Standard is forever doomed to be a broken format where the only balance tool is Wizard's banhammer and everyone is cheering for it.

>R&D has been carefully monitoring the evolution of the Standard environment since the rotation with the release of Ixalan. While the play patterns are generally healthy and games are strategically deep...
Holy fuck that delusion

ENERGY PLAYERS GET BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

BURN BABIES ARE DEAD

WELCOME OUR TRIBAL OVERLOADS BECAUSE ITS THE ONLY WAY PEOPLE WILL ACTUALLY PLAY TRIBAL NOW

Forever is too much, but it does hampers the credibility of the format for the next three years, IF Wizards stop shitting the bed (I say three years because, if they start focusing on good changes NOW, it would still take a few sets for them to be implemented properly in the game design, and then a bit more time for Standard to be a respected format again).

As someone who dropped Standard for Modern, I couldn't care less, and just laugh.

Ehh, Energy mirrors are actually skillful games, or so I have been told.

It's just the dominance that is unhealthy.

>purging everything back to 0
Oh no, oh no no no no. Notice that they also ban the card they printed as specific hate for vampires and token generator decks. In a few months we will have our new bogeyman. Energy at least had a bit of internal diversity and a couple of decks that could compete with it. It was not a format so different to the old Rhino meta during tarkir, yet no bans were made. I fear they realized that people are getting addicted to ban against whatever is the strongest deck in standard (and standard is a format too delicate, it will always have a strongest deck), and WotC realized that having a mini Eldrazi winter every six months that you can always fix with a banhammer is more profitable than actually designing a fun format that more people will enjoy.

After all of those failures one would think that there would be consequences for the R&D team at one point but I guess not.

Excuse my ignorancy, but is energy even relevant outside of standard?

I will never understand why pithing needle wasn't in Kaladesh. Would have at least helped with a lot of this nonsense.

There is a shitload of token hate. It will never be dominant.

Serious question, what is the most goddamn annoying deck imaginable? Something that would mathematically take like 4 hour to beat, but it could technically never win.

Wow, might as well let B/W run everything forever. Fuck you Wizards.

No.

>Energy diversity

lol

"Am I playing Glorybringer or The Scarab God"

Dinos will miss Ferocidon but fuck Energy and Hazoretard decks.

Why do they keep banning everyone.

So a new mechanic is busted in standard but still irrelevant outside of it. Knowing WOTC they will probably not expand on it, but rather develop a new "fun" mechanic that's totally useless anywhere else. Neat

Here's the new Standard cycle for the curious:

>One deck in Standard is slightly to significantly better than the others
>Everyone not running that deck stops playing and whines on social media constantly for six months
>Wizards get scared and ban the top two decks
>People who were playing those decks quit the game

rinse and repeat, losing ~10% of Standard's player base each time

You should never admit you're wrong user, they'd look even worse.

Looks like Wizards is learning the lessons of the greatest tcg in the world.

fucking wizards stop banning my shitbrews, i needed ferocidon for RW dinos and taxes.

>those Red bannings
In no fucking world is mono red a "dominant" deck? The best deck? Sure maybe, but you shouldn't just be preemptively banning /what you think/ is going to be the best deck. Especially when said deck is a fucking mono-colored linear strategy.

That's just lazy. This reeks of "buy more RIX/XLN packs" and them manufacturing hype instead of them crafting environments in RnD and letting it happen organically.

Nah, even Siege Rhino wasn't this huge a chunk of the format. Kaladesh was just a turbo mistake after turbo mistake

>play Standard
>buy in a T1 deck
>components of the deck gets banned a couple months in, thanks for the money chump now go buy a new T1 deck to compete

and Wotc wonders why nobody wants to play Standard

>playing Standard at any point since Khans

I'm talking about vampires strats in general, the ferocidon was a two in one. With this I'm not saying that Vampire tribal will be the next Marvel/Copycat/RDW/Temur energy, I doubt it will be so dominant. Still they specifically banned an hate card despite the fact that it wasn't "hating" anything (yet). All the problems of the format are due to the fact that there are no strong ways to interact with the opponent, and yet they ban specific hate, which can at least be a substitute for interaction as it can stop a strategy although in a narrow way. They clearly don't care for the health of the format anymore.

BTW on an unrelated note invest on the RW flipland, it's its time to shine.

Their explanation is Ferocidon shuts down token and lifegain by itself so there's no real counter to Ramunap Red.

It also kind of poops on go wide strategies so it inadvertently shuts down its entire block, except maybe dinosaurs (Which as a ramp deck probably gets pooped on by mono red anyway).

So we were looking at Vampire, Pirate, Merfolk tribal block standard where you couldn't play Vampires, Pirates, and Merfolk.

I HAVE NO IDEA IF THE BAN WAS RIGHT but that's their reasoning

At least it's not choosing between Rhino and Rhino tbf

>BTW on an unrelated note invest on the RW flipland, it's its time to shine.
this

Nobody lost money by buying into Energy because the only cards in that deck that aren't bulk rares are also in demand in other decks.

OH MY GOD!!! THEY DID!!! MARO ABSOLUTE MADMAN!!!

>Nah, even Siege Rhino wasn't this huge a chunk of the format

yes that's because in that format, the people running other decks continued to play instead of just staying at home and whinging at Wizards to ban it.

But now they know that works. So the format will ALWAYS have a +30% 'best deck' once its rivals stop turning up to events.

>Their explanation is Ferocidon shuts down token and lifegain by itself so there's no real counter to Ramunap Red.

>BW
>have no means of dealing with creatures with instants/sorceries

The absolute state of MTG in 2018

there were like 3 different abzan builds during khans

>thanks for the money chump
This would be true if Wizards sold singles.

The ferocidon ban is definitely to push tribal, but ramanup red deck wins has a very strong matchup against literally any deck not named energy. Without it being kneecapped after energy is gutted, it would take over way worse than energy ever did.

Oh look, I guess control is the only type of deck that'll last

it's a fucking 3/3 creature dude

kill it

Their current model makes even more money compared to just selling singles

>here you go, big stores. buy our products in bulk and hope you open up enough mythics that are worth $

>Without it being kneecapped after energy is gutted, it would take over way worse than energy ever did.
Jeez, forgot Burn was the best deck in Modern...

How do people even beat it?

Someone has to open those packs to sell those singles. If standard remains kaladesh block constructed, no one will open ixalan packs for the tribal decks wizards is pushing.

Siege Rhino was the only creature in those decks that was a guaranteed 4 of

There were also significantly more decks during Rhino standard than current standard

We're talking about standard, not modern, nigger. Modern beats burn with good anti burn cards printed prior to kaladesh.

There is a lot of cheap board whipe that should keep vampire's in check.

A lot of the people who do that don't play the game, they just open packs and resell them piecemeal. It's one of the ways stores make those random grabbags of bulk cards.

>it's a fucking 3/3 creature dude
>kill it

Sorry, no efficient removal allowed in Standard. We literally HAVE to ban passive 3/3s for 3 because removal can't be good enough to kill it.

If we had Path To Exile in Standard this format would be fine.

*blocks your path*

Mono-White Vampire Monument player here.

What the actual fuck, Wizards? You're banning a card that acts as an effective hose for my deck just because you THINK it's being kept out of the meta?

RDW was a sick deck that actually took skill to pilot beyond just 'hurr turn creatures sideways'.

Reflector Mage didn't deserve a ban, Ferocidon doesn't deserve a ban, Ramunap doesn't deserve a ban.

Fuck RIGHT off.

Redbros I feel for you.

This. I have the tech laying around for Temur Energy because I almost thought about building it during Amonkhet but instead just quit Standard entirely instead of deciding between Glorybringer and Scarab God. I think it cost about 20 dollar total. I spent more on the Fast Lands.

Where do singles come from? Packs, and the more singles stores sell, the more packs they need to open. More packs sold = happy Hasbro.

Wizards has been taking lessons from Konami in format management, I see.

Their mistake was to test it against decks meant to combat energy. With energy gone, people could build their decks to better combat ramunap red.

I play R/G-Pummel, I guess I've gotta start thinking about what to replace Aether with...

Here's what's going to happen from now on. Each new block will see the release of a new pushed deck archetype, encouraging players to buy packs of that set to compete. Six months later, when the next block is released, the powerful cards from the pushed archetype will be banned, forcing players to buy packs of the new set. This is inevitably what happens when the same company that manufactures product manages the metagame.

Tinfoil hat time: Hasbro executives don't care about the long-term health of the game - a game they believe is dying in face of digital competitors - and they're trying to squeeze as much money from invested players before the whole thing comes crashing down.

Red loses to tokens and lifegain, as it always fucking has. Don't ban a card that helps their matchup against it just because >badwrongfun. Are white token players incapable of playing removal?
Also This.

Not really, the most annoying deck in the world, by far is ftk decks, because they're not good.
But if they draw good and you draw bad you lose in the first turn an it feels like fucking dogshit since it wasn't skill, it was luck.

a different deck because yours is dead

It's an absurd call.

Well if you want to put it that way, someone buying a $150 single makes Wizards somewhere around 20 cents, not counting the store's cut, as it was 1/15th of a pack. Obviously, this is added on to the rest of the pack which may not be resold or may be resold in a bulk package, so wizards gets a couple bucks probably. That person then reselling it gets Wizards no money. Someone buying singles is responsible for a very tiny amount of money being added to Wizards in a very indirect way. Wizards would benefit more if everyone bought their own packs instead of going third party, which would require either all cards to tank to the point where singles aren't even worth selling (Never going to happen, since even dollar rares are worth selling at scale) or every single worthwhile card to be so expensive that people just buy packs instead (Which also won't work, since that requires chase rares that are too rare and drive people to just buy singles out of convenience).

Why?

so is magic just yugioh now

are you retarded

Everything gets fucked up ever since they decided to fuck with the standard rotation. I sure hope Dominaria will end it.
Anyway, why is Ferocidon banned?

They can't strike the balance to make the resales work for them. They don't get commission, so one card bouncing around as a single got them 1/15th of a pack's cost, no matter how many people buy and sell it. Their current chase mythics are too rare and people go to third parties instead of digging through packs for them, which limits how much money Wizards makes.

>card stock is still shit
>zero confidence in buying standard cards due to a whole year of bans in multiple decks
>jeremy bullshit effectively raising the costs for lgs to run events

I seriously hope the higher ups are calling everyone at WotC to yell at them. If Arena flops we might be looking at something serious here.

>It's worth noting that Rampaging Ferocidon was designed at a time when Saheeli Rai–Felidar Guardian decks were coming to dominance in the real world, in part to counter those decks.
There are so many layers of incompetence on display here.

There's clearly something weird going on in Wizards right now - the back-and-forth on Standard rotation and block layout, the blatantly money-grubbing introduction of Masterpieces, the constant bannings, the repeated reorganization of the development teams...

Well, it's easier than having to carefully design and playtest each set.

*spread his wings*

filename

Sorry bro, Walking Ballista isn't banned yet.

>we are banning ramunap because we expect it will be too dominant

>our expectations about the balance of energy turned out to be very wrong but trust our analysis this time

>the blatantly money-grubbing introduction of Masterpieces
I've never really seen a issue with this. It's how I'd prefer them to push packs rather than this nonsense. You're right about everything else though.

so, "yes I am retarded"

The problem is energy has no rivals, no hatecards, no counterplay.
Also reddit spacing.

Why to people ignore this card so much?

Becaus esince the game became "monster: The tappening", the main way to answer stuff is through creatures effects and synergy.

Since basically ALL decks in standard rely on monster presence in the board, the 1 damage per each monster you play is just overkill in a Red Deck Wins deck.

Want to answer anything in my board in a rotation centered heavily on creatures? Better take that 1 damage too, son.

I really only want this for the art and EDH shenanigans. I like Ixalan's weird owl phoenixes and parrot gryphons.

Yall ready for 6 months of Scarab God?

>the blatantly money-grubbing introduction of Masterpieces

masterpieces made playing constructed cheaper

It's constructed-staple mythics that are money grabbing

Behold, the biggest retard in the thread, everyone.

Standard doesn't need it and other formats have Relic of Progenitus

Energy mirrors relies on who can make the most energy first and throw a 12/12 hexproof trample hydra before the other guy.

Standard was inevitably going to be fucked until the 2018 Rotation and Bans were coming no matter what.
We'll see if things unfuck themself once the game is in synch with the design again.

>if Arena flops
>if

If the beta is anything to go by, I don't have high hopes for it.

If you can't put up a non meme answer, then i'd rather you shut up.

If Gift takes off it'll be good. It smokes refurbish. Until it gets banned, anyway.

>Well, it's easier than having to carefully design and playtest each set.
user, they only begrudgingly added play testers to their r&d department last year. You know damn well they're not going to hire anyone forward thinking or creative. That would cost adult money instead of cardboard and might hurt the current team's feelings.

> No changes in other formats

Someday they'll remember that modern exist...

That all you got?

It kills shuts down scarab god.

Please don't lewd Thalia

So this entire generation of r&d has proven to be incompetent and just needs to be purged. You should not be able to keep standard this shitty for this long and not get fired. Even the pros who are practically obligated to defend the game are getting vocal about how bad it's gotten.

I think they've said they're not making changes to modern until after the pro tour

Man how many cards from Kaladesh block got the banhammer? 5? 6?