Sell $intc RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

Hey Veeky Forums, /g/ user coming through

Something big is happening, Intel is going to get fucked pretty soon. See this thread:
Basically, it looks like intel fucked up bad and will pay the price. If you own any INTC, you should start monitoring the price very, very carefully.

Other urls found in this thread:

fool.com/investing/2017/12/19/intels-ceo-just-sold-a-lot-of-stock.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

what the fuck is happening

this worth buying puts on you think? probably not weeklies.

The gist seems to be that Intel's processors have a pretty big security bug for datacenters or something. It's a flaw in the hardware, there's a software fix but it reduces performance A LOT.

not him, but it looks like there is a severe hardware bug on Intel processors (specifically modern server and desktop processors) and the only fix is to software patch it, which means that the Intel processors take a penalty performance hit of alleged 30%.

AMD doesn't have this problem

massive security flaw pertaining to Virtual machines
the only way to fix it is a patch that will kill 30-35% of the cpu's performance thus putting their cpu's behind amd and giving them even more bad rep

i don't know much about options, but i'm thinking of shorting intc when the market opens if it's really as bad of a fuckup as it seems

is this the end of the normie Veeky Forums user?

I thought you said ITNS at first. Don't fuck with my coins.

Intel idgaf you shouldn't be surprised a Jewish company is up to bad things

I'm buying the dip when I see it

This is going to be really, really bad for Intel in the enterprise market. Normies that use their PC for Facebook and YouTube aren't going to care but companies that rely heavily on Intel hardware in their servers for virtualization for cloud services and renting out VMs are going to be absolutely assblasted over this fuckup. It's going to cost Intel and all of the big companies using their hardware millions, if not billions of dollars.

Holy shitballs man.

Is Intel sgx fucked
What about my linkies

>normies aren't going to care
desu Apple already has their feet to the fire about performance issues, this will also have an effect

normies don't need the performance killing fix because they don't use virtual machines

Apple did it on purpose tho

hold up this isn't about crypto

which do you think Apple would rather do, ignore the issue and not patch it in their kernel and deal with the resulting "Apple knew about Intel bug and refused to patch" or deal with the swaths of normies complaining that their compressed jpg memes take 4 seconds to load?

Not to the same intensity due to the simple fact that Apple was ripe for a controversy and they had competitors egging it on. Here, everyone loses and therefore will be trying to diminish public impact.

They've already moved on to epyc (largely because price/performance is king), this won't impact them short term. Where things start to happen is next round when Intel comes to negotiating table for cloud providers (amazon, microsoft) and wants to get them to buy the next batch. They won't like it, given how much they've had to compensate for Intel.

>tfw too scared to get into crypto because the gubmint will come after everyone they suspect of pumping and dumping and all the big gains have already been made

Yes my AMD bags are finally gonna pay off!

im sure they will fit it in their tos and have some "professional" or "business" update package you can opt into which will be debuted with a press release and mass email to all accounts
>similar things have happened in the past

thank you for showing me the light, I will buy APPL now

I can't remember the last time I ever saw a normie running a virtual machine for any reason. I mean I run them at home because I'm a /g/tard and I like to have multiple operating systems to test software on, and I use them at work because running dozens of operating systems on a single machine at once is so much more efficient. Most Apple users don't even know what a CPU is, and think that their iPhone is a magic piece of glass with a soul that gets food from the wall socket when it's hungry. Trust me, the fruitfags won't give a fuck.

Apple will bundle the patch with a Mac OS update and it'll get installed on everything. This is what they already do with Intel microcode updates for the CPU and Intel Management Engine firmware updates. Besides, they're selling dual core crap with an emoji bar for $2000. Their users just won't care at all.

>oh god apple why
all the tech support and repair centers are gonna be bogged down with
>"OH MY GAWD MY LAPTOP IS SOOO SLOOOOW IT MUST BE BROKEN, FIX IT NAO"

should probably mention i already work in the tech repair field and as it is we get these kind of people all the time
can only imagine how bad it will be in the near future

Shit seems to be from days ago, It looks bad...

my dick is solid like tree

I'm getting excited at the potential chaos that's about to happen.

unironically taking a short position in intel tomorrow morning

>all the tech support and repair centers are gonna be bogged down with
No they won't. Let me try to explain this to you in a simpler way than others will. When you get a MacBook or ThinkPad or some other computer and boot up into OS X or Windows, there's on single operating system installed. You can install Chrome or Firefox or games or whatever other apps you like. That operating system takes full advantage of the hardware and has direct access to basically everything in the machine. The average consumer uses one operating system per machine. That's what I'm doing right now in order to post here. People who use their machine in that way won't notice any difference in performance.

But there's a separate hidden feature in modern PCs that's really cool, but is mostly used by big companies and tech nerds on /g/. It's called hardware virtualization. It allows two or more operating systems to be run at the same time on one physical computer. The host OS, or the one you use normally, can run a cool program like VirtualBox or QEMU that can take advantage of this feature to give you a full system in a window on your computer. So image related is Windows Vista running in Windows Vista. Basically big companies will buy one really powerful machine and make dozens of these VMs, and then rent them to people. So let's say that for example Windows Vista is just so fucking expensive that my small company could never afford a copy or hardware that's really powerful to run it on. Well, instead of paying $10k for it all you pay $50 to use that Vista VM for a few hours for a couple things you actually need it for, and you just get remote access.

Well Intel's fuckup just made all of those VMs like 30% slower because they need to add another software layer of abstraction to fix a horrible security hole. Sharing the machine resources is already a bottleneck, and now they've stuck a coffee filter in the opening because they didn't make the bottle right.

y-you are aware there are other softwares that utilise vt other than whole virtualisation, r-right?

besides malware packers and other unethical dampers on reverse engineering?

technically speaking a-any application that processes in p-parallel falls under the same category. anything that is paging syscalls across the CPU is effected

>tfw I run a home server with 5 VMs and intel xeons
god damnit

don't upgrade your kernel and don't split your machine into VMs or give anyone else access to it and you're fine desu

Oh boy...

Yes, I am aware. Virtual machines are just the most common use of this feature in the enterprise world where it would be really fucking bad to have it compromised, and this is what's happening.

Don't listen to Upgrade even if you take the performance hit. It's a rather serious security vulnerability.

t. Intel Pajeet

I can probably take the performance hit, it's a dell R710 so I've never really been able to red line it by any conventional means, but I can see how bad this would be for the big boys like amazon.

Shut the fuck up, faggot. You sound like the Pajeet telling someone to compromise their security by not installing an important kernel patch.

Yeah, you'll probably be fine for home use. I'm personally going to be switching to one of the Talos II workstations because I just can't deal with this x86 grabage anymore. It uses IBM POWER9 CPUs and supports two of them, and you can get CPUs with up to 8 physical cores each. I'm just going to start using that, but I'm still researching because it's probably going to cost me around $8000 or more for the configuration I want.

>important security patch
lul. tell me how important it is to you Thaddeus

brb buying amd stock

>home server
Yeah I worry about my mom exploiting my box too .

As long as he's not giving out remote shell access to strangers or running already vulnerable services, he should be fine for a home server, it'd be different if it was something in production.

More important than your mom. I haven't even called her back because the head was disappointing and the sandwiches had turkey instead of ham.

you need to be less than the total sum of your shames to post on this pokedex trading forum for speed-centric adults