Tranquility Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Three Subclasses
media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-3Subclasses0108.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools.com
latest update-mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous Thread
What UA subclass didn't make it in that totally should have in a just world?

Other urls found in this thread:

meetup.com/topics/dnd/
sageadvice.eu/2017/07/26/would-a-rogues-uncanny-dodge-ability-work-as-intended-against-a-magic-missile-spell/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Stone Sorcerer.

SS was too good for this world.

>What UA subclass didn't make it in that totally should have in a just world?
Phoenix sorc. It needed some tweaking to not be complete shit, but I love my sorc more than anything else I've played. Even if it's kinda crappy and exists only to do big numbers with fire spells.

Not a subclass, but Revised Ranger not being in was a real bummer.

Reposting

>It needed some tweaking to not be complete shit
Yeah, you'd generally be better off flavoring draconic/fire sorcerer than playing phoenix sorcerer.

can you give me the quick rundown of what made the UA ranger desirable?

What is the best monk race, any UA or planeshift allowed?

Mhmm. I think my love of the subclass is mostly from the character honestly, a kind and polite, if brutally snarky, half elf who turns into a cackling pyromaniac who gets off on watching the world burn when the mantle goes up. The mental image of the mantle of flame is also phenomenally badass though and at least half of my enjoyment of playing, draconic sorc just doesn't have anything that can match being the human torch y'know?

The Oath of Treachery was pretty tight. It felt mechanically different from all the other oaths , kind of like a rogue with survivability.

So I've seen some people talk about the Brute recently and whether or not it was a good class for beginners and it's got me thinking: What's the class/archetype that you would best recommend for a new player? Do you think giving them fewer mechanical options is ideal, so they don't get overwhelmed? Or should you give them plenty of options to tinker with, at the risk of them getting completely overwhelmed or building poorly on accident and gimping themselves?
If you were a new player, what would you prefer?

beastmaster was viable and favored enemy actually meant something.

rogue

>all the local game stores within 10 miles only have events up for playing MTG

How do I find a new group lads I've recently moved and I got no one to play with, I'll even learn pathfinder

In fact now I'm thinking about it properly, having just started playing a barbarian in another campaign I think my main love of the subclass is that the mantle of flame is basically the caster version of raging and like a barb the mechanics of it encourage being absurdly reckless, disregarding all safety for yourself while throwing out hefty amounts of damage. The mental image of the mantle is just the icing on the cake, and there just isn't really another full caster out there that really encourages that kind of wantonly reckless style

stone sorcerer because it made my sorlock multiclass easier
18 ac without armor, shield, or raising dex, thank u sir

Something with spells to get used to that side of things.

kidnap four people and play DnD until stockholm syndrome sets in.

roll20
Craigslist
meetup.com/topics/dnd/

What adventure with interesting story can you recommend me? it doesn't even have to be for 5e, i can adapt it

If one were to make a Sorlock, what spells aside from Hex are a must have from both spell lists?

This, it fucking sucks that Crawford has all but confirmed that they're dropping the idea because retards were getting "confused" by it. At least someone got it through his thick skull that Beastmaster NEEDS a revision.

Well first of all their version of Natural Explorer is usable. They also have more expansive Favored Enemies as well (one of the options is all humanoids, instead of just two), and they get a Greater Favored enemy. You actually get a damage bonus against your Favored Enemies instead of standing there with your dick in your hand, and you get advantage on saving throws against anything your Greater Favored Enemy throws at you. Plus they get a fix for Primeval Awareness so it's not literally fucking useless.
Personally I haven't crunched any numbers on any of the conclaves included with the UA, but the improvements to the base class alone make Rangers actually playable instead of "lol we're not in the woods so you're just a shittier Fighter."

I let them play what they want. No class is that complex at level 1 and when it starts to get more difficult, they already got some decent grasp on the rules. In my opinion its more important that their first DnD experience is shit because they felt forced into something than to not have to do the extra bit of work to explain something here and there.

halo 1.

I'm going to be playing a kobold that is riding our moon druid with a saddle of the cavalier. Weapon wise is a shield and rapier the best? I'm probably going to be a Barbarian for the resistance and then using mounted combat to redirect attacks/cut dmg when necessary.

My str is abysmal at 8 but I have 17 dex and will be starting at level 5.

Challenge accepted

Storm King Thunder Or Princes of the apocalypse?

Princes of the Storm King

Diablo 2

>tfw you really want to put a ring world in a campaign but everyone will know you're just ripping off Halo because we used to have lan parties every weekend back in high school

Last time I did roll20 it was some supreme autism, is this the norm?

My party sorcerer took color spray, do I kill him or myself?

Thanks /5e/

>There's alot of crap players on Roll20, but you can eventually get a good group if you try at it. My 5e group has gone through 15+ people with some deciding we're not for them and most we decided they're not for our group. It gets better if you stay away from the more popular RPGs though.

>people playing social games on the internet because they are too inept to meet people irl

hmmmm

Don't be so blue, friend. Or purplehaps you're green with envy? I dunno, maybe I've red too much into it. Regardless, Color Spray's not bad at all; it's as good as gold. Orange you glad it's not something useless like True Strike?

What's wrong with Color Spray?

Probably, the best use for roll20 is playing games with people who you cant meet up with in real life anymore for whatever reason.

Ranger (specifically Beastmaster) is the worst class in the PHB. There's a number of reasons for this, but the primary is that their combat capabilities are drawn back in favor of their unique utility. However, their utility in the PHB was incredibly weak and was only used in a segment of the game that the vast majority of DMs completely ignore. They were basically shittier Fighters with more limited combat options and only a single skill proficiency to make up for it. Beastmaster had it even worse, because their pets were so weak as to be nearly useless, especially as you got higher in levels (they would do less damage than the Ranger using the attack themselves, they were incredibly easy to kill, and they didn't have any utility).

The UA improves them in basically every way. Their fighting capabilities are now about on par with other martials (still worse than Fighter, Barbarian, and Paladin, but equal to or better than Rogue or Monk, which is the perfect sweet spot for Ranger), their utility abilities are greatly improved (their exploration stuff is now actually useful, even if the DM mostly ignores that part of the game), and Beastmaster is now unfucked and actually totally fine.

The only flaw with Revised Ranger is that it's pretty front-loaded, which makes it a great multiclass option. However, I think part of this is alleviated because multiclassing into/out of PHB Ranger requires 13 Dexterity and 13 Wisdom (and it would likely be the same to multiclass Revised) which severely limits who can use Ranger as a multiclass (as opposed to Warlock which can multiclass with like half of the fucking classes in the game without issue). Other than that, Revised Ranger might actually be the best UA they've ever made, and it now looks like it won't be made official because Crawford despises fun.

bruh I live in a real conservative area a lot of them probably think that DnD is about child sacrifice and shit now, literally no one is hosting any games and I don't want to DM again

Tranquility monk just needs one fix and it would be perfect. An explicit ability to use wisdom instead of charisma for persuasion checks, instead of relying on DM fiat.

Hey guys, a few days ago I asked some questions re: my first time playing DnD and making a mounted combat character. I just rolled up and made the character sheet and would appreciate some feedback and advice to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. I am using the Revised Ranger with permission from my DM.

So the concept is that he is a Goblin that fled his tribe because he felt they weren't Goblin enough. He was from the "Hunter" caste. I will work more on his backstory later but basically he is going to travel to test himself as hard as he can to prove that he 1) is a Goblin and 2) find other Goblins to make his own tribe. He's been on his own for 5 years and killed several of the Goblin's sent after him to bring him back. I figured his old tribe could be good backstory antagonist. Especially the top dog of the old tribe.

He likes taking trophies from impressive adventures. When the game starts he has a femur of a highwayman that tried to rob him. He fashioned it into the Handaxe he has in his inventory.

For his stats, I rolled 11, 11, 12, 13, 14, and a 16.
Correct me if I put them in the wrong spot, but I went STR 11 DEX 16 CON 13 INT 11 WIS 14 CHA 11. I figure the Strength is low because he is a Goblin and they don't seem like they'd be physically strong. The Intelligence is low because he's very narrow minded and isn't very book smart...and also a Goblin. Charisma is low because he doesn't talk to many humanoids and I fluff it that it's 11 because he's scary looking and has a bit of a presence about himself. Con is 13 because he's been living on his own for a while and is fairly hardy. Wisdom is 14 because he has a surprising amount of common sense and a knack for being resourceful/using what he can. Dexterity is the highest because...I don't know yet. I just figured Ranger's needed it.

His Favored Enemy are (Humanoids) as he makes most of his days stalking and raiding ill prepared adventurers or merchants for food and supplies.

Just roll a die or something, they're both ok adventures. I've heard less complaints about SKT than PotA if that's what you're worried about.

Rip off Planescape, instead.

that's fine but if your question is "are random roll20 meetups full of autism" then... yes

aside form the fact that it's utter shit? Not much.

I am not sure what "Fighting Style" to pick up at 2nd level. Is Archery the best way to go?

At 3rd level I intend for him to go with the Beast Conclave and pick up a Wolf as his companion. If it works out, the Wolf he picks as his pet will be quarry he's stalked for a while. A fierce beast in the area that he wanted to kill and claim a trophy but during the fight he was impressed with the ferocity/cunning of the animal and chose it as a companion.

I would appreciate criticism or if this is a stupid idea. Like I said, guidance is appreciated.

I should really proofread my posts. *FROM

Wasn't planescape literally based in D&D lore?

One thing I'd say is that your stats are all actually above average, so this goblin would be smarter and have a more forceful personality than the average human (Charisma isn't just animal magnetism, it also has to do with how well you project your personality and will towards others). 10 is the base human average for a stat, so an 11 is just ever so slightly better than average.

Other than that everything seems fine. It's a decent backstory for a goblin, assuming the party has a reason to bring him along or tolerate his presence. A decent way to justify that if the party is largely Good/Neutral is that he thinks they're the strongest people he's met so he respects them and wants to follow their example or learn from them. It could also present the option to have the goblin be swayed and move towards a Good/Neutral alignment, if you choose to.

The Fighting Style depends on what weapons you want to use. Archery and Dueling are the two strongest styles for Ranger, so you just have to decide whether you want to be in melee or not.

Planescape is a D&D setting. The picture I posted is of Sigil, which is the canon center of the multiverse in Planescape. You don't get more based in D&D lore than that.

I appreciate the feedback!

>move towards a Good/Neutral alignment, if you choose to.

I planned him shifting towards Lawful Evil as he develops a sort of honor code throughout the story and then shifting up to Lawful Neutral. Does that make sense?

>whether you want to be in melee or not.
Does Dexterity not force me in to Range?

Since he's so small I think Archery might work better, I can't imagine he could reach up and smack something.

My end goal is for him to just ride his Wolf around.

weapons with the finesse property, like a rapier, allow you to use dex instead of str
but i agree that ranged will probably work better for you, considering your are a bit squishy

if the 10 is before racials an average human would have 11s across the board, while an average mountain dorf would have 12/10/12/10/10/10

It's one round of advantage for everyone on your team and disadvantage for your target that doesn't give a save. It's fine for low levels, and if he doesn't like it he can swap it out next level. What's the problem?

The one thing to keep in mind if you decide to go with ranged weapons is that goblins, being small creatures, can't use longbows or heavy crossbows since they have the 'heavy' property. You'll be stuck with light crossbows, shortbows, and hand crossbows, which are a bit weaker than their heavier counterparts. The best melee weapon for Dexterity, the rapier, doesn't have the heavy property so you won't be missing out if you decide to go with that.

However, that's just mechanical stuff and really doesn't matter. What you think is cooler and more fun should influence your decision more.

>I planned him shifting towards Lawful Evil as he develops a sort of honor code throughout the story and then shifting up to Lawful Neutral. Does that make sense?

That makes a decent amount of sense, honestly. Slow alignment changes can happen, especially with creatures that are surrounded by people with other alignments.

How much weaker are we talking here? I don't want to be a hindrance to the party.

>that much of a majicks dumb nigger
are you really so niggy that you can't tell that is absolute beast of a spell for 6 player groups?

hand crossbows are actually quite strong because of the crossbow master feat giving you an extra attack
doing 1 or 2 less damage and attack wont make you a hindrance, and your high initial dex tied with the archery fighting style would make you quite a reliable ranged hitter

>>>/reddit/

>I will mixmax.....BUT IS FOR THE PARTY TEEEHHEEEEEEEE XDDD
god I hate your type of person.

Just own up, you want to be OP. no one on the party is asking you to be OP, you WANT to be OP. a lot of people want to play a broken cheesing character few ever admit.

Post some rangers

>inb4 power rangers

So i am creating a new adventure campaign so i am going to use everything that you reply to this post: enemies, plots, items etc.. whatever you feel like

any tips on further optimizing a hexblade bladelock? I was wondering if i should multiclass as well, it looks like it could be quite potent but at the same time sticking with lock looks like it would be nice later on

if you multiclass, i'd dip fighter or cleric for heavy armor, that way all you need is cha, 13 str, and con
otherwise you can basically stick with hexblade the entire time, thirsting blade, lifedrinker, all the things that enable your melee weapons
you could go for polearm master, the extra attack with things like lifedrinker and hex is pretty nasty

A picture for your npc trove.

buttplugs used to hid gold and scrolls, investigation rolls now involve cavity search.

just kiddding please dont add this post to your setting

Thoughts on this monster? Wording, CR, abilities, anything helps me. I want to get it uploaded soon.

pure hexblade, generally sticking with eldritch blast over melee if you really want to optimize

you can get a little more damage with melee but you have to invest really heavily into invocations to do so, so you lose out on a lot of other utility

What's a fresh take on Orcs? I'm getting tired of the same old "evil minion race" stereotype

Is that worse or better than people who want to make themselves weak as possible for...no reason?

He's a new player, he doesn't know what he's doing. If he was minmaxing he wouldn't play a Goblin or care about the backstory

sounds great dude, really does.

only thing I will nitpick after looking at everything, is .....cha+2?

Look at Eberron. Their orcs were taught druidism thousands and thousands of years ago and continue this tradition of protecting the Material Plane and teaching it to others.

It's a carryover from 3.5 where Charisma was so much your "inner power" that even ugly fucks had high Charisma. I suppose hags have high Cha and they are ugly, but they have ego and force of will so it works out. I dunno it's kinda hard to explain. It's also like how zombies in pathfinder have 10 Charisma because charisma = con in that dumb-ass system.

If hexblade curse said weapon attacks would the subclass be considered bad?

>new group
>dm makes us roll AS
>I roll so horribly that he makes me start over
>get two 18s, lowest score is 14
>feel scummy starting with two 18s so put one of them in Charisma
>mfw 18 CHA Wizard

QUESTION
does 5e uncanny dodge work against magic missile?

Yes but only on one dart.

Why wouldn't it?

No, magic missile doesn't make any attack rolls and isn't an attack in the way that uncanny dodge means. It's the same way uncanny dodge wouldn't work against fireballs because it's not an attack roll, it's a saving throw. Magic missiles entire thing is it being pretty shit damage but with absolutely absurd accuracy that NOTHING can dodge it.
sageadvice.eu/2017/07/26/would-a-rogues-uncanny-dodge-ability-work-as-intended-against-a-magic-missile-spell/

No. Magic missile is not an attack.

Don’t fall for the heavy armor memes. It’s super heavy and you should be dumping strength anyway. You won’t be able to carry shit. Pure Hexblade works perfectly well. If you want to multiclass it’s better to dip hexblade and go hard into paladin or sorc.

Sharpshooter and Twilight Druid

anytime I roll I hope for amazing rolls so I can stick them in less useful stats and/or just go for some jank ass multiclass shit that you can't do well with point buy

How much edge you want, senpai?

Why do Liches exist when there are spells like Clone?

The edgier the better

Lichdom is more reliable than a clone

Lichdom used to not require access to 9th-level spells, so it could be reached by people who had not already mastered most of magic's secrets.

>monk mummifies himself in a ritual
>botches it and doesn't achieve nirvana
>spends his undeath dispensing wisdom which may or may not be true

Say no more.

Rangers are my favorite class and I have a lot of art for them. I have a lot of art for every class but rangers, too.

Wanna use the new Archaeologist background

Any tips on RPing an Archaeologist so the character can sound like he knows what he's talking about?

What's unreliable about Clone?
I guess in FR, we haven't seen any new big pitches show up, so it makes sence. Hard to explain in homebrewed worlds though

goddess of rape exists, has orders of paladins under the oath of rape that wander the land raping everything in sight. They have rape domain clerics who follow them around so they can resurrect and heal anyone who has been raped to death so that they can be raped some more

>What's unreliable about Clone?
A clone takes 120 days to function, you can die while it's still growing

Liches also have the benefits of being an undead