Why are there no Napoleonic-era settings?

Why are there no Napoleonic-era settings?

That's a lie and you just want to post that image.

/thread

Report, hide, ignore

Because fantasy writers are hack frauds. There's this one decent series with dragons in the Napoleonic Wars but that's all I can think of.

name of series?

Too much focus on medieval settings.

They're probably talking about the Temeraire books by Naomi Novik

>There's this one decent series with dragons in the Napoleonic Wars
>decent
It's utter shit and you know it

Also, have it ever occured to you that Napoleonic period is interesting all by itself, without throwing in fucking fantasy into it? Or you happen to be American and all you got from Napoleonic wars was Louisiana Purchase and getting your ass kicked so hard White House was set ablaze?

No, we just focus on the Revolution. Which has its own awesome themes to draw from. A lot of them being similar to themes of the Napoleonic Wars (who by the way got into power thanks to said revolution).

Why do you think that he 'knows it'? That would be implying there's an objective absolute standard of quality for literature. That isn't true, certainly isn't provable, and if you think it is, holy shit fuck off to with all the other pseuds.

Why do you single out the Napoleonic period? Most fantasy takes place in anywhere from the ancient world to the medieval period, but those periods are every bit as rich as the Napoleonic. If fantasy medieval is fine, why not fantasy Napoleonic?

If you're looking for inspiration for the era, I cannot recommend highly enough Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Brigadier Gerard series.

There's ample excitement and adventure as well as a healthy dose of wry humor.

And if you're more in the mood for the Hundred Years War, The White Company is a freaking fantastic read.

>That would be implying there's an objective absolute standard of quality for literature.
>That isn't true
>le Veeky Forums maymay
Not even him, but Temeraire is dog-shit bad and wastes all the potential it could have on drowning in cliches and idiotic plots.

And if you apply reading comprehension to his post, it's pretty obvious he singles out Napoleonic period FOR FANTASY, on the ground that the real deal is already so rare and underused there is no point diluting it with fantasy scenario, making it yet another "generic fantasy, but with Napoleon" (like Temeraire does)

Kind of sad, if you ask me. You are missing all the fun that comes from Napoleonic period, especially the world-sprawling aspect, being stuck instead with backstabbing of the Republic.

>ok user, roll to fire the musket!
>now roll to reload!
>now roll to fire the musket!
>now roll to advance ten paces!
>now roll to reload!

etc and so on

What's his alignment?

>who by the way got into power thanks to said revolution

Chaotic Greedy

The fuck are you talking about? Who said anything about D&D?

>muh war of 1812

He's a classic example of CE done right

I guess he went to American school.

It's amazing how you've managed to miss the point of three different posts.

I like how you neglected to name any examples. Mainly because there aren't any.

>Because fantasy writers are hack frauds. There's this one decent series with dragons in the Napoleonic Wars but that's all I can think of.
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is pretty good, though it might be a bit history book-ish for some folks.

It's amazing how I managed to blow you the fuck out without even trying, kid

Not him, but I've just googled "Napoleonic RPG":
In Harm's Way
Duty & Honor
Beat to Quarters
Privateers and Gentlemen
GURPS: Age of Napoleon and Napoleonic period is where GURPS absolutely shines, since the mechanics strike a perfect balance between going too autistic with more modern, but complex enough to go above the truly low-tech bullshit
Lace & Steel
En Garde can do in a pinch

And correct me if I'm wrong, but In Harm's Way has "Dragons!" supplement to run fantasy games in the time period using existing rules.

So here you are, spoon-fed to the full. Now eat dick for dessert.

Go read Powder Mage and The Shadow Campaigns. Both are great fantasy series that fit what you're looking for.

Freeport.

Why do you always start this thread with that image?

We get the Napoleonic Fantasy thread every month or so. We've already discussed why it doesn't work as well as a tabletop setting as you think it does: it's too specific. The Napoleonic Wars were just that, wars. The era was dominated by war, which works better for either espionage campaigns (which players are too stupid to play) or war campaigns (which are easier to do through wargaming).

I would kill a motherfucker if it meant getting a fantasy game based on the pre-Revolutionary British Colonies. You got a little of the Witchcraft craze leftover from Europe, small-scale skirmish warring in the interior with those fucking French and Indians, exploration of a vast and terrifying wilderness, and a collection of established, yet still vulnerable towns and cities that might require 4 to 6 murderhobos to settle local affairs. It's fucking perfect, I mean just look at pic related! That's a fucking PC if I ever saw one. Plus, you could end the campaign with a full-blown Civil War/ Revolt.

Gets demand answers OP. Is this just your fetish?

>and getting your ass kicked so hard White House was set ablaze?

If that's all you got from 1812 then you're just as ignorant as he is. Of far greater importance was the fact that Col. Jackson whipped the shit out of arguably the most elite military unit in the world at the time with nothing but a bunch of good-ol-boys with hunting rifles, to the point where they broke ranks and full-on ran away.

What would you even do in a Napoleonic-era setting?

>> I would kill a motherfucker if it meant getting a fantasy game based on the pre-Revolutionary British Colonies. You got a little of the Witchcraft craze leftover from Europe, small-scale skirmish warring in the interior with those fucking French and Indians, exploration of a vast and terrifying wilderness, and a collection of established, yet still vulnerable towns and cities that might require 4 to 6 murderhobos to settle local affairs. It's fucking perfect, I mean just look at pic related! That's a fucking PC if I ever saw one. Plus, you could end the campaign with a full-blown Civil War/ Revolt.

So Colonial Gothic? Because that is what you just described.

PCs would most certainly not be line soldiers marching in formation, for the same reason PCs in D&D are not spear-wielding men at arms marching in formation.

Goddamnit user. Now I need a clean pair of pants.

Is it good?

Of far greater importance was the fact the War of 1812 meant shit to anyone but filthy colonials of both sides of the border. It had absolutely zero impact on anything at all, both in Americas and world as a whole.

But it's very easy to trigger burgers with it, so take it or leave it.

You roleplay as Brits or Americans in the era focused on the French Revolution and named after French military leader and statesman. I could come up with some ideas but most people seem to be interested only in English speaking countries in this time period or taking on Grandfather Frost.

I don't know. I contemplated getting the book to run for my group. But they are rar more interested in "weeabo wuxia fightan action" so I didn't waste my money buying a book my group would either shit all over or not even try out.

As I understand it. It's basically late 1700's colonial america and the frontier and everything that , that entails. With magic (native american, witchcraft and Cthonic) and monsters in the deep dark woods on the frontier. And our intrepid protagonists with muskets, tomahawks and pluck fighting back the darkness of the unknown.

delet this image

The reviews about it reflect somewhat poorly on its quality.

I want to save her

Nah, he wanted to post the other one where she's pissing herself.

remember to sage, kids

>players in the period will not be the most iconic thing about the period

I second this. There's one trilogy out (Promise of Blood, Crimson Campaign, Autumn Republic), a tie-in novel (Servant of the Crown), a bunch of short stories, and a new trilogy (Sins of Empire).

Brian McClellan is the author.

I want to be an officer and do career-related shit. But no GM will ever run a game like this no matter the setting.

Gropey likes it, and Revolutionary war stuff is what he does for a living. I'd take that as a good sign.

native american gorilla warfare seems exciting
Post please

Good guys lost.

Read the trilogy as well as Sins of Empire. Pretty entertaining, and I want to run a game in that setting or a similar one. Unfortunately the Powder Mage RPG is written for Savage Worlds. Can anyone recommend a system that handles that era well?
>tfw the novellas are ebook only

I highly recommend the tv series Sharpe, which is fun and illuminating about warfare during the napoleonic era.

This is good too.

>It's basically late 1700's colonial america and the frontier and everything that , that entails. With magic (native american, witchcraft and Cthonic) and monsters in the deep dark woods on the frontier. And our intrepid protagonists with muskets, tomahawks and pluck fighting back the darkness of the unknown.

Sounds cool to me.

Because Napoleon showed the world democracy is a nest of vipers and empires will always be superior to republics. For which he will be forever villified.

I think the deep seated urge to protect when I see these sort of images are the only things that keep me from thinking I'm an utter failure of a human being.

Doesn't make me less inclined to masturbate to it though

>empires better than republics

That's why he lost, right?

Temeraire

it's shit though. Like, the concept is ok, but the worldbuilding is awful, it's infested with "muh modern values in an earlier time" and the prose is bad.

NO IT IS NOT STOP REPEATING THIS LIE

Sorry, I just saw the series cause my wife wanted to watch is and I had flashbacks about how shittily written the book is. You can basically cut it in half with a chainsaw and get all the plot in the second half, Norrell is an unlikeable fucktard, and the worldbuilding makes no sense at all.

>powder mage

I guess, if you get off on a literal "She's older than she looks!" loli backflipping around stabbing people in the back with needles because this is apparently better than shooting them or using a sword like a normal person or worldbuilding where there are gun wizards that can kill hundreds of people in seconds but for some reason everyone is still using line formations in the open.

He lost to empires.

OP btfo!

but what if I use Only War for this setting?

There's also Master and Commander series, which is set in the English navy during the Napoleonic Wars.

That doesn't lend itself to it either.

Literally every Japanese fantasy RPG ever has napoleonic aesthetics somewhere.

Because knights look (and are) more interesting than men with big hats.

>not putting the PCs in the trenches and focusing the story on the daily struggle of choosing between broiled rat and rat bisque

Because setting-wise you see a shift from magic heroes, or great warriors who can hold scores at bay to political or officer heroes. Players dont necessarily want to play espionage heroes who may never fight in their lives, they dont want to die of infection (up to GM to decide grit), and mass unit formations make battles impossible to manage for some rpg systems and are better modeled with wargaming.

In the end, you wind up with a setting where the PCs would be better off on the periphery--monster hunters or privateers of some kind, rather than politicians who (while important) never do a lot compared to a fantasy knight or wizard. Not to mention, many players hear "age of sail/musket" and instinctually expect a shift in tone to something more grounded. The revolutionary/napoleonic era is "too recent" for people to blindly accept wizards and non-gritiness, perhaps because its better documented.

>The Shadow Campaigns
Goddamn that series went to shit after the first book. It was initially the ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU General outsmarting basically everyone alongside the plucky honorable aide, but then it focused entirely on the lesbian woman soldier, and how she is actually the greatest and everyone depends on her and she can only trust her princess and no one else.

Which means if you like Napoleonics, you're a disgusting weeb

There was a globe-spanning aspect of the revolution, but it’s not an aspect we focus on.
The French Revolution which ended in Napoleon being in power occurred because several Frenchmen wanted a democracy which they had helped put in place in America, and the situation was so dire in France, because they had bankrupted themselves fighting the British backing America.

So no America, no Napoleon.

>You will never be as retarded or pathetic as Louis the XVI who had trouble just fucking his hot wife and then not understanding why the people are rising up against you.

Everytime I read more on this guy the more he sounds like a Veeky Forums user that inherited a country.

I was there.

I was there on the day when this image was first posted here. The day when OP first saw it.

I was there when someone shopped the pee into it as well.

>because several Frenchmen wanted a democracy
No, they just wanted power for themselves, and knew the power of propaganda to get stupid Frenchmen to work for them.

lawful evil
pale master

Don't worry, at this angle it will just dent the cuirass.
In fact, this might not even be the first shot. Maybe she's crying not out of fear, but pain.

He was truly /ourguy/.

That's called democracy.

You only think that because you're misogynists who think women need to be protected from harm as if they were children.
And you're absolutely right, women have no place in combat.

>letting Grenadiers get in melee range

That line infantry is well-fucked.

Also Elegie, and Khaos 1795 or Brumaire if you want revolutionary wars instead.

I think the period falls between two stolls, on one side you got cloack and dagger and age of sail, on the other industrial era and all the steampunk train. It's just incomfortably close to both, with no visible advantage.
The only example of typically napoleonic rpg campaign that comes to my mind is the horseman on the roof and technically, it takes place in 1830

Ps: OP, I despise you and your clickbait posts made of titillating pics and dismissive questions. Please go choke on a dick.

what's the difference

Grenadiers were mostly used for front end assaulting. These guys were big boys (literally they were often the bigger and stronger guys) and were the more fanatical types. Line infantry were pretty much just anybody.

You ever watched Sharp? Something like that could be fun, provided you get to call everybody "bastard" in a thick northern accent.

I want to fuck her

That could actually be somewhat entertaining if done correctly. The whole party involved in the line would get to roll together which is always lulzy.

YA CAN'T KILL ME, SHARPEY

Chaotic bastard.

Honor + Intrigue

>Brits (not Canadians, no such country existed) burn down an unfinished house in a swamp

>Americans sack York

>the late, great, Pete Postelwaithe
>as a greasy Nobby Nobbs-esque Redcoat in a film I don't recognize
My fancy is tickled fucking pink. Sauce?

>-monster hunters or privateers
So 65% of existing PCs?

Fucking Sharpe series, you damn fool. Aka the only work of fiction where Sean Bean not only lives, but is apparently immortal, too.

Obadiah Hakeswill, one of the villains from Sharpe.

Because it means introducing gunpowder. I'm once you introduce gunpowder And Advanced Metal working, fantasy elements go completely out the window. How impressive is a Wizards Fireball when an entire Squad of Musketeers have muskets and Hand Grenades? What danger is a warband of rampaging Orcs when every farmer has a blunderbuss?

And if you extrapolate even a little bit, that Advanced Metal working and gunpowder quickly turns into steam engines, and then suddenly your setting is flooded with steampunk assholes and everything has gone to shit. It is better to not start down that dark path at all.

>What danger is a warband of rampaging Orcs when every farmer has a blunderbuss?
Which was why there were no bandits in the American Western Fronter?

>How impressive is a Wizards Fireball when an entire Squad of Musketeers have muskets and Hand Grenades?

>Shoot fireball at soldiers in formation
>Gunpowder goes off
>Soldiers blown apart by their own ammunition
>Ripped to pieces when the grenades go off

Shut up cringelord. History isn't your whipping post. You bring up Americans literally out of nowhere, and then dare to invoke actual history (poorly, by the way) to try and insult them when none are even confirmed to be present, and your excuse is "well at least I got to insult someone"

Kill yourself. I would recommend that you cut your wrists, except that your blood might actually be valuable to some other higher life form. Hang yourself. Employ strangulation so as not to damage your organs. You are an inferior person and your life's ending will benefit all around you and also whoever the government distributes your organs to. Hopefully they will not develop your nauseating habits as a result of the infusion of your flesh.

>Daytime in States: The Post
Music to my ears.

Duh, that's all there were.

>the entire empire can die by the decisions of one leader

Yeah, empires are badass

... Warhammer Fantasy.