Board Games General /bgg/

Previous thread ---> Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

> What are you playing?

> What are you adding to your collection?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vs0MmkS-2vQ
boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/accessories/products/translucent-plastic-gems-12-mm
kck.st/2FJz29S
youtube.com/watch?v=xwsWqvOrwYM
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233868/hate/forums/0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

> What are you playing?

Got to play a bunch of games at PAX South:

Sagrada - dice placement game - fairly fast and enjoyable
Ethnos - set collection / area majority control. Can play out fast even with beginners.
Sushi-Go Deluxe Edition (plays up to 8 players and adds a lot of stuff to the base game.)
Spirit Island - coop game where the goal is to destroy all of the invading colonists. Fun theme, interesting variable player powers.
Telestrations - typical but enjoyable party game.
Queen Domino - tile drafting / tile placement game. Simple but fun.
One Deck Dungeon - good 2 player press your luck style game. A bit fiddly with 4 players but not awful.
The Arrival
Seikatsu - a set building / pattern management abstract game that just didn't appeal to me much.

Definitely adding Sushi-Go deluxe, and Ethnos. Thinking about adding Sagrada too.

What makes ODD good for 2?

I've got Castles of Burgundy and Evolution: Climate coming in the mail along with a couple more ships for x-wing

>What makes ODD good for 2?

Pros:
Straight forward game play - with low complexity
Variable encounters with basic problem solving - i.e. using dice to meet challenge levels.
By meeting challenges the players gain new dice into their dice pools as well as new abilities or players can turn in cards for experience to increase their base capabilities.

Cons:
Does rely upon RNG.

Hope you enjoy Castles of Burgundy as much as I do. :) I've got Empires of the Void II coming soon, but haven't gotten my tracking number yet.

> What are you playing?

Shadows of Brimstone campaign (once a month)
Civilization New Dawn is getting played a bit.
Near and Far campaign happening
Fallout has a few plays too
Also started a gloomhaven campaign (once a month)
Twilight Imperium 4th Edition has also been played a few times now.

And painting minis from fallout, SoB and a few other games

Nothing at this stage. I did back Western Legends, and 7th Continent should be here early March, but other than that I need to not buy games. I only buy games now if I can sell one. No shelf space. No space for a second shelf.

I'm thinking about getting some shorter euro styles that have a lot of player interaction (that's why I bought Civ : New Dawn), because I just don't enjoy stuff like Terraforming Mars, which seems very solo to me, and most of my games are highly thematic dungeon crawls or similar. Recommend some good euros with interesting themes that have high player interaction.

Thanks friend :)! I just hope I can find/get some people to play it with it sucks not have an LGS or Meetup group near me :(

>Civilization New Dawn is getting played a bit.
>Near and Far campaign happening

These are two that I wanted to try at PAX and just didn't have enough time. (I backed the Near & Far + Mines of Amber K.S.)

> Recommend some good euros with interesting themes that have high player interaction.

I really like Archipelago. Be colony master, negotiate with / back stab other colony masters, but don't piss off the natives too much or everyone loses.

ordered Inis, what am i in for?

Disappointment

I used to own Archipelago. I really liked the beginning and middle of the game, but the end game was kind of like "oh, it's the end, lets count points". It would be alright if people would stop hinting it was going to end soon like "I think he's about to claim the last church and end the game" or "the game might end on my turn, hint hint", but it didn't matter what group I played with, it always happened. Really like the game but ended up selling it.

I haven't had that problem in my group. I've only got one player who can't keep a secret, and I think he's learning since he keeps getting burned by not keeping his mouth shut.

Every time I see Ethnos, I think "how can this be fun?"
Well, how can it be fun? I want to pick it up, but hesitant.

Depends - what are you looking for out of the game?

It is a fun and quick game, but isn't super deep by any stretch of the imagination. It is 'Gin Rummy' when it comes to set collection (same color / same creature type) combined with 'majority area control' rules, and has 'variable powers' added into it in the form of 'a leader' for each 'band' (a.k.a. set) of cards that you lay down. The leader might give you extra area control tokens, allow you to keep cards you would otherwise discard, or gain more points for a band (set) etc. The regions are going to be worth variable points that will change each game. And there are 12 or 14 races of which 6 are chosen for use each game.

Pros:
simple & fast to play
variable powers
variable area points
simple to teach

Cons
Not a 'deep' strategy game
RNG (random card draws and point tile distribution) can put some players at a disadvantage.
Card art & map art are 'Meh' / OK but not uber exciting.
Theme is pasted on and could be replaced with historical / Sci-fi etc, without changing the game at all.

Overall, I like it for the fact that it's a simple, fast to teach / fast to play game with a lot of replay-ability due to the variable races, and variable points values for the regions of the map.

>What are you adding to your collection?
Still waiting on Middara. Hopefully it will ship by late March. I was recently reminded of the 20 minute lore video while scrolling through kickstarter updates.

youtube.com/watch?v=vs0MmkS-2vQ

I'm wondering if when they say the campaign is 60 hours, they're including the 2 expansions with that. Cause I hope they aren't.

Not that guy, but I picked it up looking for a fun, relaxing time with the bros with lots of laughs and a side of beer.

Should I return it before unwrapping?

You might be better with something chill like Kemet or Cyclades. Those are pretty fun, don't require a lot of brainpower to do well. Inis seems more strategy focus.

Hey look, it's that episode of 'fun games with my fun friends who are also fun' again. Inis is garbage, go get a decent game instead.

Yeah, it seemed like a lot of the game was spent quietly figuring out your opponent's strategy in the drafting. Like a big chess-rock-paper-scissors. Is too much emphasis placed in the drafting? Where it's more about memorizing your opponents cards so you can outplay him?

is Lords of Scotland any good?

I haven't played it, but I've been playing games next to the table it has been played at, and every time, I think, that looks pretty boring. Noone is talking etc. At least with Kemet, or Cyclades, there is table talk

The drafting isn't done well and allows you to (quite a number of times) get completely locked out of a round.

> What are you playing?
Restarting the base campain for Arkham Horror LCG with the gf. We print every card so we can have 2 copies without having to buy a second box and make the deck we want to play.
So far the game has been a blast, we are trying the last scenario this week-end

Planing on buying Vast Champions of Midgard and Robinson Crusoe

i bought it out of curiosity, i like games with variable player powers, some random elements and lots of player interaction

What are some 2-player games in which I can brutally destroy my opponent?

Chess.

A unique and fantastic game of tense as fuck turns throughout the entire game.

0/10

Then Inis is a pretty decent choice for you. The only variable powers are the different cards though.

This guy is also retarded and I have no idea how he's drafting to get locked out of any playable cards or strategies. That's basically impossible with 3 or 4 players and completely impossible with 2.

Inis is a good game and I assume we've just decided to hate it ITT now because other people ITT have liked it/reddit likes it.

I think Inis is way easier to learn than and less tense than Kemet but it does have the Cyclades problem or just sort of ending one turn when everyone has exhausted all the ways they have to block someone winning.

>problem or
Problem of*

>Card art & map art are 'Meh' / OK but not uber exciting.

That's disappointing, considering it says "John Howe" on the box.

The art is mechanically good, just terribly generic.

Hive

I watched the video cmon just put out for their next game, Hate. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The video is laughably bad and the dialogue sounds like it was written by an 13 year old who just learned how to swear.

Future top 100 on bgg right there.

Kahuna, fun little strategy game, but every time I've played it ends up being a total rout for one player, at least half the time you'll get to be brutalizing

As modern trick taking games go, it's very good.

That's a pretty narrow superlative, though.

>Inis is garbage, go get a decent game instead.

It's another episode of "I can't form a cogent argument about why my opinion is valid, but you should *TOTALLY* trust it anyway."

Just received Twilight Imperium 4th Edition, can't wait to play it(at the end of the year probably again like we did with 3th Edition).
Also boardgamegeek is always so slow for me, no idea why people like to use that site. Not that I know of any sites that do the same but still.
Really enjoy playing BattleCon and Ticket To RIde with the Netherlands and Heart of Africa maps.

I fucking love gems. What are some games with good gem/jewels tokens?

>Also boardgamegeek is always so slow for me, no idea why people like to use that site. Not that I know of any sites that do the same but still.

I haven't had that issue to be honest. If you know it isn't your ISP, then I'd ask what web browser, and what add-ons (if any) you're using when you hit that site?

> Ticket To RIde with the Netherlands and Heart of Africa maps.

I haven't played either of those - do they add any new rules? Personally I really like the Europe map.

Unfortunately I don't know of a lot that come with them.

Splendor uses poker chips with gem pictures, but I'm replacing all of mine with large colored gems to make it more thematic and appealing.

Mafia de Cuba uses small white plastic gems which I'm replacing with larger white plastic gems.

Other than those two, I'm not sure what other games use gems / plastic gems as part of their mechanics.

Any recommendations on where to get good plastic gems? I'm trying to find flat red / purple gems for use with Splendor.

>> What are you playing?
Lots of Mage Knight. I like it a lot, but I'm not sure it's actually fun. Could it be autism?

>> What are you adding to your collection?
Probably Dixit. I've liked it more than most other "party" games I've tried.

>Future top 100 on bgg right there.
Funny way of spelling 'top 20'.

What did you like about Dixit? I've looked at getting it but the game seems like it relies on the people playing being very creative and descriptive, which is something I'm not very good at

> Mage Knight
Probably the biggest complaint on this one is the learning curve involved. (And frankly that isn't really off-putting to anyone looking for a deep strategy game.)

Git gud

>game seems like it relies on the people playing being very creative and descriptive, which is something I'm not very good at

Not the user you're asking, but I own and have played a lot of Dixit. The potential issue with the game is playing in a session where some of the players know each other and others don't. The ideal strategy when you're playing the card to be guessed is to use a card / clue combo that only one person (preferable the person in last place) is likely to get. Obviously this is difficult if you don't know the other people you're gaming with. So you don't have to be cleaver so much as 'know your fellow players' in order to gain points while giving the fewest away to other players.

>very creative and descriptive
Not really. The way I see it, the game is a tool for picking at the psychology of the other players. You want to devise a clue that (ideally) only one person will successfully associate your card with. Yes, in it's worst form this degenerates into in-jokes and media references.

In another sense it's like a freeform extension of word association. I find that fun on it's own, but I wouldn't really call it creative.

The learning curve involved is 100% absolutely the free takebacks rule is needed. Although I do feel that its a good idea to include in games in general.

There's a bit to it, but it's more sprawling than dense. I found TI3 way worse, 4 seems nice though.

I'm pretty sure Wizkids' quality control is the worst part.

Got some friends into Ortus Regni, and I'll be hosting a gang for Junta this weekend. Only catch is none of us have ever played Junta. But I did try to round up mostly shit disturbed, and we should be a full table of 7 for it. What am I in for?

Raise your goblets, Crossing, Instanbul
That's as far as i know

lol "you have to fucking kill everyone. That's all we know".

This game sounds bad. I know at least 5 people who will buy it.

TI3 & 4 base rules are fairly simple. There are just a lot of small situational rules.

On a related note I've seen the bejeweled board game on clearance in quite a few stores here in france, might be worth buying to recycle the sexy gems.

I know BGG sells bags of ascension style gems, but haven't ever really looked for them before. Likely someone retails them, they're in so many games there's got to be a Chinese factory cranking them out non-stop

I've found one on the ground in a tiny ass fucking village in France, I'm almost 100 % sure nobody in that village knows ascension. I'm sure you can find them in party\marriage stores

Same here, we're playing around in the Zealot scenarios to feel out the latest Carcosa investigators. Just waiting on our flgs to get Echoes of the Past in before we can get the campaign going properly.

Yeah I'd bet they're at some craft store or dollar store or something in the states, just never needed em before. Only know about the BGG one because they shilled them so hard when components went in the store.

>Only know about the BGG one because they shilled them so hard when components went in the store.

The problem with the BGG ones is that they're not really 'Gems' but just random 'nugget' shapes.

boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/accessories/products/translucent-plastic-gems-12-mm

They're the same stuff you can get for the bottom of fish tanks and probably for a lot less.

Fun fact, the map is just Slovakia. I've seen attempts to re-skin the game using the Slovakian political parties.

The entire game looks blandly generic, the art just makes it worse. Surprising considering how over the top CMoN usually goes

Try aliexpress

I know it's /reddit/ but did the mods there really delete the thread shitting on HATE? Are you not allowed to be mean about board games on reddit?

I wanna play Ortus Regni so fucking bad.

Nope. You're not allowed to be mean on reddit except to Christians, Trump Supporters and anyone who goes against the bugman hivemind.

Reposting this since no one replied in the last thread

I'm looking for suggestions, I mostly play with my gf but scalable to 4 is a plus

>games we love
Castle of Burgundy
Targi
Sherlock Holmes

>games she dislikes
Arboretum
Valley of Kings

also no abstract

Dungeon petz, Concordia, Android Netrunner

Why would anyone want to talk about that game?

It is free on steam. Make an account, and I'll throw down the gauntlet with you,user

Potion Explosion has marbles if that counts and it's a very good family game

>CMoN just put out for their next game, Hate. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The video is laughably bad and the dialogue sounds like it was written by an 13 year old who just learned how to swear.

That game is so edgy I cut myself on the web site...

Century: Golem Edition

Twilight Imperium 4ed just came in for me,

Groups been playing, Fury of Dracula, Dead of Winter TLN, Mysterium, and Eldritch Horror. Lot of horror theme the last few weeks.

Saw Western Legends on BGG and fell in love with it too, might preorder today.

You should look at the offended threads on BGG for the game, those are even more amusing.

kck.st/2FJz29S

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHate

That's the EdGIeSt most tryhard wannabe hardcore game I have ever seen. That trailer is like one of those terrible 70s or 80s movies where what they think is cool is just ridiculous and embarrassing. Who is the target audience for this? Who feels tempted by this? The game itself looks super boring and ugly as well. What does it offer besides some neat minis?

How many board games do you own Veeky Forums?
youtube.com/watch?v=xwsWqvOrwYM

>What does it offer besides some neat minis?
Buying/backing to make it successful will send a big-ass "FUCK YOU" to all the offended bitches and nu-males over at BGG.

Pretty sure it's not my isp, it has always loaded pretty slowly on both my phone, pc at home and at work, all 3 have different providers.

The Africa map adds a system that lets you double points gained from putting down trains. Not really a fan of that but the main selling point for me is that the whole middle part of the map is 1 track only. and the middle stations have no names and cards don't point to those so it's really easy to block stuff and it's a massive chaos.

The Netherlands Map adds a toll system where you have to pay toll points to the bank or to the player who already build a track between 2 places, at the end people get a fixed amount of points based on their toll points. It has a heavy focus on completing cards. Which is pretty fun.

Back this pile of shit just to piss off certain people? Is this the Donald Trump of board games?

Carcassone and Machi Koro are great games to play with 2 persons.

>tense as fuck
I wouldn't go that far. It's more a game of pretending to be a nice guy for as long as possible, as collectively the players can fuck anyone who appears to be big stack.

It's hard to be too tense, because there's so much that's out of your control.

One user over at BGG seriously suggested removing (banning) it from BGG, you know, the site that's supposed to be a database for every board game that exists.

>kck.st/2FJz29S
The minis do seem cool. But I don't really wanna spend $2.40 a model for some pretty generic looking barbarians.

generic-looking humans shouldn't complain

lol why?

lel
I mean to say that none of the factions seem distinct, visually.
All just tribes of Big McLargehuge

dammit, can't remember which thread that post was in

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/233868/hate/forums/0

Who do you like better the big orc looking guy with the big weapon or the big orc looking guy with the big weapon?

"Reading the description of this game I would like to call upon the BGG gaming community to boycott it and speak against it so that it utterly fails.

We live in a world in which hate is being shown for what it is - hate crimes, racism, sexism, power hungry men exerting their lustful control over others, mass murders - things that have been well documented in the media and caused untold distress to those affected by it.

So why on earth would anyone ever countenance a game where "Up to six players battle through a multi-game Chronicle where they use their unique clan to savagely plunder, mutilate, and demoralize their opponents."?

This is just sick. I don't care if it's "just a board game". It's sick. Boycott it. And ban it from BGG."

>It's sick. Boycott it. And ban it from BGG.

Someone forgot to tell gamers...

> what are you playing?
Lots of galaxy trucker, along with The big Expansion. simple game with a lot of replayability. Gets better the more people you add.

Twilight Imperium 4th edition . loved and own Ti3, and Ti4 in my opinion does a lot more to stream line the system to trim the "fat" of Ti3. Changes to races and Tech feel balanced and needed in most cases i.e yssaril. Really want to play Winnu for my next game.

Roll for the galaxy. Had trouble with the rules at first but after that the game plays very quick. would recommend to new players.

>What are you adding to your collection?

trying to hold off on buying any more board games till I can get a bigger shelf to store them. they're piling up on my floor at the moment, but when i do get a bigger shelf probably Onitama and Blueprints.

Even though this game looks trash, and I don't like the theme myself, I'm glad it is going to make millions, because I hate political correctness and this pussy generation even more.

You need to start meeting your needs and taking better care of yourself so you can stop giving a fuck about worthless nonsense that will never affect you. Quit blowing everything out of proportion.

>Really want to play Winnu for my next game.
Go hard for Mecatol early. Take warfare first turn if you can.

I'm not buying this trash. But I'm going to enjoy the kotaku articles whining about it.

Isn't that most CMON kickstarters?