Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Other urls found in this thread:

theonyxpath.com/and-then-we-flu-back-monday-meeting-notes/
youtube.com/watch?v=U5JQgqM4QhE
theonyxpath.com/heres-the-windup-and-the-pitch-monday-meeting-notes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Daily remindr that Lunars are shit and will never amount to anything.

Excise Lunars from the setting completely, and replace them with Liminals.

since when

I'll make the thread opener about Lunars just to spite you. To get the ball rolling, how do we make Lunars cool again?

lunars have always been cool, their problem was gimped mechanics

I really like some of the old 1st ed fluff, like Solars looking more and more like pic related as they gain power

Could a Lunar learn the form of a sorcery made hybrid? Including the magical ones from ambition 3 terrestrial circle?
Saturday baby...

>Could a Lunar learn the form of a sorcery made hybrid? Including the magical ones from ambition 3 terrestrial circle?
Probably.

How come lunars aren't out there making themselves into the sickest chimeras. Where is the Tyrant Dragon/Ox Lizard

>Solars got suntanned
>Lunars got pale
1e once again proving it was best lore.

And DBs became more infused with their element aspect. Did anything happen to Sids?

>Did anything happen to Sids?
I don't remember. I do know Abyssals either got to be pretty sparklefaggot vampires, or nosferatu though.

those were kept in 2nd ed though

I dunno, but I certainly hope stuff like that will be possible with 3E Lunars.

TBA 2030

Why the fuck are even small indies faster than Onyx?

Because small indies will go bankrupt if they don't produce anything.

this "everyone" who remembers the first age has had their memories carefully curated and rose-tinted by lytek so they'll be properly motivated to be super awesome rather than turn themselves in to the wyldhunt for the greater good. these memories are filled with massive gaping holes for...some reason.

and then excise liminals
since 3rd ed
removing eclipse charmshare can only help. they're mostly gimped by mechanics and a need to not steal solar thunder...but the charmshare introduced the problem of "and now what if a solar got thier hands on this". you can see the scars on the 2e charmtrees as shapeshifting was quarantined to a handful of knacks rather than sprinkled throughout all the charms to keep it out of eclipse hands and the charms themselves were written to be "like solar but weaker" and with a tree structure that was essentially the same.

for one thing, I always felt like lunar competencies should probably be frontloaded. solars learn how to hammer so well they can eventually use it on everything, lunars should start with some heavy object that gets refined into a hammer as they progress in that charmline. start wide and taper to several points rather than start at a single point and balloon out. invert the wedge. as an attribute based splat I'd start lunars off with broad and weak charms at the base of the tree with more power as it narrows

doesn't matter though, 3e will probably make them ability based too

The core seemed to understand that Solars and Solars alone should be ability based. But isn't Attribute base for Infernals?

>doesn't matter though, 3e will probably make them ability based too
That would unironically fix them. You can't make "broad but weak" Charms and expect them to be good. By their very nature they're weak as shit because of their crappy fucking design focused on an ability no one will let them be good at and have real, tangible benefits to (shapeshifting), and a Charm system that at on every level simply doesn't work because it holds the core conceit that they just CANNOT be fucking good at anything because they have to be "broad".
Ability based Lunars will actually be the thing that fixes them, mechanically, if it happens.

From what I've heard of 3e Lunars you'll be happy with how they end up despite the attribute charms.

But that would make Lunars second rate Solars again
What have you heard?

Infernals, Dragonblooded, Siderials and Abyssals are confirmed to be Ability based in 3e.
Lunars, Getimians, and Liminals are Attribute based.

>Sids
>"I don't remember"

Seems apt.

>it took Veeky Forums this long to get it

Man, really taking their time with that Monday Meeting. I mean yeah they said it was gonna be late but this is something else.

Welcome to Friday Monday meeting a tradition here at Onyx

The time is mostly spent on trying to get a term for Tuesday Meeting that has alliteration.

Tuesday Talk?
Tuesday Team up?

Well there it is
And fuck, no movement on either scion thing. Looks like I'm looking at mid to late February for that preview text. Neat trinity art though.

Whoops
theonyxpath.com/and-then-we-flu-back-monday-meeting-notes/

What would a non ability, non attribute Exalt draw from? Some weird stuff, for Exigents

I think Vance had said that Exigents will most likely have Essence-based Charms. I guess this makes it easier to offer guidelines that apply to Exigents of vastly different themes and levels of power.

How did Primordials even understand the concept of "Games"?

Because Creation was literally a sandbox for them. The GoD is actually just the Cthulhu version of a PS4.

>theonyxpath.com/and-then-we-flu-back-monday-meeting-notes/
What does "post-editing development" mean exactly?

And how many years does it usually take?

Someone in my playgroup sprung the idea of playing Exalted on us and now there's a bit of chatter about the topic among us. My question is what does the standard Exalted campaign look like?

can 3rd circle demons do adamant sorcery? what about the incarna?

essence based, like 2e infernals. so much for being unworkable in the current system [eyeroll]

I'm in a game right now. I'm not savvy to it but I'm a "gap filler" kind of role player so I ended up Eclipse Caste. How do I build an effective Eclipse and how should I role play one effectively?

Depends on what you want to do. Make a character idea first and then we can start building a character. Sometimes the Eclipse caste can be the face of the party, the combat leader (if the Dawn does something like Supernal War or Awareness so everyone is on equal footing), the ninja/thief, the sorcerer.

Just because you can't get essence 5 charms at character gen does not mean you can focus your character around it. Essence 1 charms are damn powerful and can take you almost wherever you need to go. So Supernal charms do not need to make what your character is about. You can do that of course but you don't need to.

Most Eclipses I've seen are all about making deals. Their oath ability literally makes the caste, so getting good social skills are a must, so either Linguistics or Presence. They're also good with money, so investing in Bureaucracy is also a powerful tool along with some resources at start.

You spread out from there. Socialize makes you far better at talking overall, Occult allows you to craft sorcery and charms that interact with spirits (Forcing spirits to materialize or being able to see/talk with them while they're dematerialized/incoporeal is a step towards making a deal), Ride is a bit situational but allows you to travel fast makes you feared in combat with proper selections.

>not wanting to make a fighting eclipse that defeats foes and make them take an oath to follow the path of justice with you, starting your campaign to befriend the shit out of everyone

This isn't righteousness.

>forcing people to follow your ideals rather than showing them the correct and proper path.

That's tyranny, not justice.

We need more info, broseph. Do you have any character concepts in mind? What are the other PCs like? Where is the game going to be set? What is the main plotline going to be about? Roleplay-wise, what are the strengths and weaknesses of your players and ST?

You can persuade them to adopt your ideals once you've taken their oath, though. All it takes is time.

Need all the info I can get on Szoreny, does anyone know what books talk about him? So far all I know is he's a silver forest, and his themes including mimicry and plotting.

I bet you think the modern legal system is tyranny too.

No and no, but in Glories it's mention that they can mimic some of their powers.

How broken is this charm:

Unbound Fury (Foes Through Walls Meditation)
Cost: 5m 1wp Mins: Athletics 5, Essence 3
Type: Reflexive
Prerequisites: Thunder’s Might
Duration: Scene-long
The Solar is suffused with glorious power, her every step carrying the weight of her impossible strength.
Her attacks gain the smashing tag for the scene, if a weapon she is using already had this tag then the initiative cost is waived.
Furthermore, things seem to break with greater ease when faced with her might, as though the she had been holding back. When an attack knocks an enemy into a surface the Solar may roll an instant Feat of Strength to destroy it. Enemies knocked through obstacles in this manner lose one initiative which is awarded to the user.
This charm may only be used once per day, unless reset by upholding a Defining Intimacy by fighting a significant opponent
Special activation rules: If the Solar knows Sledgehammer Fist Punch, it’s activation is discounted by 2 motes for the duration of this charm.

Like myths. You can make Heracles in chargen.

every concept that exists was made by primordials

Are the Shinma still a thing in Ex3?

I still haven't gotten an answer about what the shinma of shinmas is

not at first, but then the 'broad but weak' gets built on til it's 'strong but specific' and maybe those all tie back into a 'strong and broad' upgrade?

only the basic competencies would be frontloaded is what was meant by 'broad but weak'

besides, what 2e gave was 'just as narrow as a solar AND weak' so just about anything is an upgrade.

Mostly the real problem was the eclipse power forced shapeshifting off into knacks rather than integrating it into the lunar charms themselves. lunars could have been vastly improved if even the "enhanced" keyword existed before their book was written and saw wider use than just making solar herocharms more special for solars

we know that he was one of the reclaimation yozi in 2e but his charms got cut. I think that's about it other than what you said, and that these days he hangs out with the black boar(but the yozi yoai is silly fannon)

>57476830
>implying tyranny isn't justice
Do you even Solar?

It plays like the great curse was real and applied to players. You will see their darkest depths as well as their magical realms. It plays like the worst parts of tumblr made flesh.
Also the rules are a bit of a mess no matter how fanatically it's fans will claim otherwise.

In short, Exalted is something best enjoyed from a distance rather than actually played. ;)

Sounds like your friends are awful. I don't know why you're projecting that on the game. The game is about what you do with power, and if what your friends do with power is fucked up then that's on them.

He used to be the world tree, similar to Yggdrasil, but at the end of the war he was uprooted and planted in Malfeas upside down. The "leafless trees" of the so called silver forest are just his roots jutting above ground.

Starting with just exalted heroes is common, since you can put the Wyld Hunt right on their tails. After Escape from the City, the character concepts, Intimacies, player agency and maybe more importantly, consequences from player actions can drive the game.

How the fuck do you pronounce Ligier's name?

Looks okay to me, at a glance. I'm a bit wary of anything that modifies weapon tags because it makes weapon choice less important, but I don't think that Charm would break anything.

My biggest concern is that waiving the initiative cost would let a character spam the smashing action more, which might possibly lead to some unwanted situations, but I'm not sure. You could instead waive the defense penalty or reduce the initiative cost to one, maybe, if that's ends up being a concern.

>My question is what does the standard Exalted campaign look like?
A bit like this

And a bit like this.

And a whole lot of this.

Thanks for the advice, Dropping the initiative cost by one seems alright.

Also a healthy amount of this.

More than a little of this.

And of course, plenty of this.

Can a Solar become a CoD?

as the total annihilation spell tells us, it is *properly* pronounced "GIANT GREEN EXPLOSION OF DOOM"

'Sir'.

And also some of this for some sun-forsaken reason. youtube.com/watch?v=U5JQgqM4QhE

Don't forget this.

Well, what else are you supposed to use a Lunar mate for?

feed her an ox so she can at least pull the cart properly?

Post Editing Development: Well, if the editor is going to find things that need correcting, it is the developer’s job to input those corrections. Sometimes, the editor also finds bigger problems with the text. Either way, this is when the dev makes the calls on what needs changing and how best to do that. After they are done, the text is handed over for layout.
theonyxpath.com/heres-the-windup-and-the-pitch-monday-meeting-notes/

What sort of Exotic Ingredients would you use for making a powerful Holy artifact.

Wait, do solars and lunars still have enough position in the celestial bureaucracy or so on that it would be a bad idea for a god or elemental to just kill them outright if they cross paths?

one high priest of the sun, raw. 3000lbs of crack, to be burned like incense in honor of the sun. about a quarter ton of orachalcum, to distract from your tiny penis.

you need to be more descriptive than just holy.

Nnno Solars and Lunars are KoS, if you are following orders from Yu-Shan. A lot of spirits don't give a fuck about the Bureaucracy anymore thought, and most of them couldn't take on a Celestial exalt regardless.

So the Yozi plan to rape and torture all GSP after they get out? They really are fucking insane

>The Yozi are insane
How insightful user? What tipped you off?

how far into the wyld do you have to go before spells and effects that can't be used in creation come into play? how far into the wyld is out of creation and beyond the range of fate? what about the relm defense grid?

They can't rape you if you rape them first, user. Pic related, it's the yozi realizing they fucked up.

Well the only way you could gain true full protection is in pure chaos. But bordermarches are enough to conceal your Fate from the Siderals, and middlemarches pretty much forces them to use their martial arts only.

Exalted fluff/lore question.

Someone just told me that the Exaltations themselves are intelligent? Where's he getting this from, AKA which book?

Context: Because the Exaltations "think" the Great Curse is fixing a flaw in them, (Limit Break lowers Willpower) and removing it would lessen them. And NOTHING can lessen an Exaltation.

Exaltations have some degree of autonomy in 2e, it's how they choose a host and get back to to Lyteks office. Abyssal Shards with no hosts take shelter from the sun during the day.

The Primordials (both Yozi and Neverborn) can remove the GC. To my knowledge, there is absolutely no evidence of the Exaltations being able to "think" and willpower isn't a thing that a shard has.

Sentience isn't sapience, so it stands to reason an Exaltation can be sentient.

I think thats like, super late end 2e that had to do metaphysical finangaling to explain away how the great curse got past shaping defenses and why exalts with no great curse still had a limit track I think. Most of that is gone now as charms aren't things in setting and that can just move back into the realm of weird stuff that happens and so on.

When are Exalts getting their own Xbox of Divinity

Guess we could give it an honest go at it. Looks a bit wacky and over the top but interesting.

Abyssal versus Essence 5 Dragonblooded?
And especially don't forget this.

Damn straight.

Exalted pretty much runs on rule of cool and Wuxia (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Kung Fu Panda, etc).

Hell, the King of the Gods is both the sun itself, (which is basically the deathstar) and a Gundam that knows kung fu. And the previous ruler of all Creation was turned inside-out and shoved up his own ass, before LITERALLY being made into that setting's version of hell.

>Hell, the King of the Gods is both the sun itself, (which is basically the deathstar) and a Gundam that knows kung fu.
Look at that retarded 2e shit. Just look at it. This is why people think Exalted is wacky and over the top, because it was written by and played by memelords for an entire edition.

>Gundam that knows kung fu

This was retconned.

2e fans should probably get their own thread, so they don't spout bullshit to people interested in the game.