/wbg/ - World Building General

"Pleased Growl; Angry Wagging" Edition

Useful Links: pastebin.com/VwXDe7JX

Previous Thread:
Setting Questions:
>Does sanity impact your setting in any way? (In the Mad King / Bohemian Artist sense not the "I have Manic Depression and thus no worldbuilding schedule" sense)
>Is the affliction related in any way to a person's inherent ability? (Immense divinitive power would be the tropey example.)
>Are there any creatures or places within your setting that would induce madness on sight?

Methodology Question:
>How does one go about implementing madness without it becoming dour, randumb, or too overtly revelrous?

Meta Question:
>Do you have a sanity mechanic in your game system?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/VwXDe7JX
worldanvil.com
pastebin.com/6G9uBaPw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Does sanity impact your setting in any way?
Implicitly
>Is the affliction related in any way to a person’s inherent ability?
Potentially, but not necessarily.
>Are there any creatures or places within your setting that would induce madness on sight?
Humans are fragile things. Most creatures and places would; they best stay in their little cubby of the world.

>How does one go about implementing madness without it becoming dour, randumb, or too voerly revelrous?
In a setting, in a character, in a game? What is the context for this question? It’s easiest in a story: Use it sparingly, and have a clear conception about what insanity is beyond “stark raving about the Old Gods.”

Not an explicit one. Any time I use sanity, it’s going to be an almost free-form game. I expect my players to understand their character losing their grip on reality, and what that means for roleplaying. If it does impact their powers, again, I expect my players to be able to decide for themselves, or ask if they have questions, instead of requiring a rigid “plus three here gets a minus one there.”

Yes. Depending on how deep in the Faerie elves live, the more bonkers they are. And they are important players in the world.
Also Dark Elves who are utterly and completely nuts, and have done... something... to a fair bit of a continent.
>Is the affliction related in any way to a person's inherent ability?
Some kinds of magic work better for the insane. But generally no.
Deep Faerie and most of Delirie (if Faerie is a dream, Delirie is a lovecraftian nightmare)

Back when I was making game systems, they always had sanity.
One even had two meters - Sanity (how really sane you are) and Composure (how close you are to snapping). You could be pretty sane but short of temper, or you could be complete lunatic hiding behind a facade of sanity.

>How does one go about implementing madness without it becoming dour, randumb, or too overtly revelrous?
Having and playing with other people who are living with mental illness gives pretty good insight. Not so much bringing your actual conditions to the table, but having a general understanding, sympathy and awareness which can lead to great roleplay. The gallows humour among the crazy is also good for having a laugh that does not depend on lolrandom fishmalking.

(since my experience is only with a guy who has a severe depression (not the meme kind, real one))

I don't think "NPC threw the mcguffin into the wall so hard the mcguffin broke, and then refused to come with the party or do anything" is good for a compelling game

'Madness' was probably never the correct word to use, but I ought to clarify what I mean. Stereotypical hollywood madness was what I was referring to in the OP, this isn't a criticism of your response by the way, something akin to the exaggerated form of schizoaffective disorder, whereby the affected retains enough cognitive function to create and enact complex plans whilst still being detached. Examples would include, Don Quixote De La Mancha, B.S.Johnson, Sheogorath, Mr Hyde. That isn't to say that other mental illness falls under the discussion, but as a sufferer I can say that depression (major in my case) is best kept away from the table, it works well in stories but I assume when creating these threads most people are building settings (due to the nature of the board on the whole).

I might just delete the thread if it isn't too late and post a new OP.

New Thread Start (because it's too late to delete this one)

"Windowshopping" Edition

Useful Links: pastebin.com/VwXDe7JX

Previous Thread:
>Is common clothing a matter of practicality or fashion in the current era of your world?
>If of fashion, how are the trends started and defined?
>If practicality, why so? Is one at risk of the weather or hostile creatures? Is it simply a matter of local resources?
>Are groups or castes denoted by their clothing?

>creating languages for my setting
>unable to think of anything interesting for a setting other than languages

Language would suggest lots of things about geography, culture, history, religion, where influences from other languages came from, relationship between cultures within language families and so on.

If languages are your thing, make them the driving force of the setting. It worked for the Professor afterall.

What does the language imply? Language is the culmination of it’s environment, and the things people need to say. What sort of slang do they use?

>Setting Questions:
Mental illness is treated realistically. It's tragic and disturbing and can happen to good people as well as bad. There's nothing I hate more than Oblivion/Fishmalk shit where you go insane and it makes you talk about cheese a lot lol so random xD

>Methodology Question:
Do your research. Read about what real mental illnesses are like.

>Meta Question:
No, sanity mechanics are cancer. Roleplaying a mental illness should be a choice on the player's part, not something they have to do because the monster they're fighting happened to have tentacles on it.

make world shaped by words
like Earthsea taken to eleven
each region's looks depend on what language people talk in there, what script they use
their words change everyday details, like weather and stuff

r8 my map

Well, I already have a couple of things established based on the relationship between the two languages I'm using; the people who spoke one language had an Empire that encompassed the area where the people spoke the other language, then the Empire collapsed, then centuries later a second empire arose (which explains why one language has a lot of vocabulary from the other borrowed at two different time periods).
But my bigger problem is trying to make something interesting. At this point I'm not sure if I want to do a low fantasy thing (like ASoIaF), a full-on D&D-tier magic extravaganza, or even a SciFi setting where the languages are from different planets and are spoken by different species.

Normally borders lie along natural features (like the river between Foczis and Druitar there). Does that river just start randomly in the middle of the continent there? What created the borders between the other countries?

Rate my pantheon.
Currently nameless, but titles are in-universe.

>God of Stone and Iron Shaped
patron of dwarfs.
>god of crafts and industry, weapons, architecture, home

>God of Fire Devouring And Lifegiving
god of life, death, rebirth, cycles, fire, sun
currently sleeping after enormous exertion a few centuries past, leading to rise in undead activity (whom he hates), while his fiery spirit have been usurped by demons.

>God of [TITLE NOT COMPLETE]
>god of machinery, traps, webs, spiders, ruthlessness, pacts, order, law, bindings

>Goddess of Broken Chains
>goddess of rebellion, strength, defiance, mockery, freedom, new beginnings, unbreakable spirit
>creator of humans
>in 7 cases out of 10 is on the side of evil

>Goddess of Blood That Nourishes The Earth
>goddess of war, murder, hunt, harvest, growth, sacrifice, earth, snakes
>actually crushed the general of the armies of Hell (that's a power comparable to another god) in single combat and assumed command over his demonic hordes, but does nothing to stop them, 'cos she doesn't care who fight who
>likewise doesn't care about honor
>hates vampires

>Goddess of Tempest In Heart And Sky
>goddess of love, fury, hatred, passion, sea, storms, thunder

>Goddess of the Wide-Eyed Gaze
>goddess of beauty, learning, pursuit of knowledge, perception, curiosity, secrets, art

Any thoughts?
Have I missed any important portfolios? I've been thinking of expanding pantheon to 12, but that feels like overkill.

Do any races other than dwarfs have a patron deity (I see that one goddess created humans but it doesn't specify if she's their patron)? Do the deities have any personal relationships to each other (like siblings or spouses)?

I think that one trap that /wbg/ and fantasy worldbuilders often fall into is an over-reliance on simple rules. Deserts are caused, by rainshadow, rivers orignate from mountains, borders follow natural features. All of those are true upto a point but miss some nuance and exceptions. Deserts are the worst hit, air currents and the horse latitudes are the biggest single factor when placing deserts. Weather patterns on a global scale are a lot harder to do properly though, so the simple mountain-blocks-rain explanation becomes the mantra.

Rivers can orignate from natural springs, or underwater rivers surfacing or accumulating streams that are too minor to mark individually on a map or several other ways that do not involve notable hills or mountains as the source.

Borders do tend to follow natural features, but those can be very local and not mighty rivers or thick forests visible on the map. It's not always that the mountains block expansion as this small valley or stream marks a defined boundary between A and B.

That said
The neat division of the world into 4 equal chunks with seperate biomes looks really unnatural, as does the basically square landmass. If this is not an old school videogame style world you might want to rejiggle things.

Ignoring what I said about rivers, extending yours to the mountains in the corner is not a bad plan, maybe even looping through the desert because desert rivers are great and iconic. It would also mean it connects and touches all 4 lands which is nice, and the bridge is not located right at the source, which might just be a scale thing but with inkarnate art it does look very strange.

Not really.
Other races are fairly polytheistic in general.
Many Elves worship their own bunch of fairy demigods instead.
There are also Allfather and his eternal enemy the Devil (name not final) who are less like regular gods and more like driving forces of the universe (preservation vs corruption), who rarely exhibit sentient intent (though they are by no means mindless). Nor do they interact with the pantheon directly, nor the gods acknowledge their existence.
Allfather is quite popular among humans, but not a patron deity.

Gods are more like sapient primal powers that take avatars, they don't have relationships in that sense (outside primitive in-universe myths). They can either work for a shared goal or oppose each other, but they don't get human relationships between themselves and can't make little gods. Their avatars can totally hook up with mortals though. But that's very different.

About half the time magic is the direct/indirect cause of madness, and it's not all that uncommon. The corrupting influence of it can cause a madness inducing stigmata upon the unwary caster and those lost to their own aberrance can be too horrifying to look upon by the uninitiated. The other half is (mostly) adventurers and soldier types succumbing to the stress of their environment one too many times and the unlucky bastard who either find themselves stranded in the Ether or encounter an actual aberration (not the corrupted kind).
In some ways, a magic-user is more likely than someone else to become afflicted, but really bad luck is the determining factor.
The Ether is host to a number of things that don't (and shouldn't) exist that can be quite distressing, and some entities from the outermost planes beyond the burning waters of Schamayim follow rules alien to 'our' cosmology.
Madness is either psychological or something that literally alters the body to fit the mind. The kind of psychological stress would fall under the known qualities and true madness might liquefy your bones so nothing can take control of them. Madness caused insight into some entity, like Hounds of Tindalos, is more the character acting on some logic that no one else is privy to and doesn't exactly imply true madness (though it could lead to some psychological issues)
Yes, its a hidden 'stat' called 'Stress'. If you fail a stress test at or above your threshold (or reach 100) you acquire a mental quirk and the track is reset. Quirks add (or subtract) to your minimum Stress, and if it reaches your threshold you go mad.

>Yes, its a hidden 'stat' called 'Stress'. If you fail a stress test at or above your threshold (or reach 100) you acquire a mental quirk and the track is reset. Quirks add (or subtract) to your minimum Stress, and if it reaches your threshold you go mad.

Someone have The Planet Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder (Zompist)? Care to share?

Originally it was the track to record physical exertion as the corruption track was to record spiritual exertion, and both tracks gave you negative traits for surpassing your life total (it was a system loosely inspired by the first incarnation of URealms live), but when I scrapped most of it and kept corruption/stress it became more like Darkest Dungeons in that it became both something mostly bad yet possibly good.

1) Don’t spam
2) Ask the PDF thread

Is a colossal (i.e. size of germany+france) marshland even plausible?

The double was a mistake. Sorry.

>Ask the PDF thread
Yeah, bus is more related to this one.

Did you go look through Da Archive? Go do that. It’s probably in their somewhere. It’s literally the reason that thread exists.

“A God did it.”

Wetland of the US look like this, so probably

Bump

Yeah but it won't be 100% swamp of course, there will be plenty of sturdy, dry ground to traverse and even live on, but largely the area would be marshes and thus defined by them.

I got started developing my setting but I think I'm going to need help rounding it out. Its not traditional but I think you might find it interesting.

I was thinking about a setting based in the Bay Area after a project in Berkeley fucked up bad and merged the Bay Area with innumerable alternate versions of the Bay including all structures and people. The population goes from 7.68 million to 1 billion in the course of half a second as the city populations from multiple universes become crunched into one metro. The area would be complete chaos and lines become drawn on "ethnic" boundaries as the people from each universe try to reassert the order they used to know or try to carve out a sense of normalcy. This is aggravated by resource issues because that's a lot of people to feed, the fact that millions of people would have rightful claim to the same pieces of property and that most of these people are completely "severed" from their own realities. Some realities were straightforward alternate timelines but others are hard to understand "how the fuck that happened".

Spatially we now have the structures of thousands of cities creating an absolute cluster-fuck. For example some neighborhoods of San Francisco are now composed of hundreds of layers of recursive houses like a Kowloon made out of Victorian town-homes. The US government has abandoned the metro because the situation is completely out of their depth and because now millions of people do not recognize our version of the government. Things will get weirder from there.

The reason I am asking you guys about this is because even though its technically "our world" the area in question will be so radically changed that it has to be built as a setting from the ground up. I am wondering if there are any interesting directions I could take this or what groups could be interesting to develop. I am thinking somewhat of a Kill 6 Billion Demons/Shadowrun vibe.

Throw in a Triad supergang from a timeline where the Chinese Empire conquered the earth.

>what is louisiana/florida

Not the size of Germany+France

What's hiding under your polar ice caps, /wbg/?

Nothing since the world is flat and has no poles

how does /wbg/ feel about post apocalyptic cyberpunk world? I wanted to touch on themes of how technology as it becomes more individualize it separates and isolates us more

Excellent taste user.

Okay, so hear me out. I have this setting that's meant to be weird. I've been going through and adding ideas to classic monsters for my players to fight in this world (ex: Vampires are insects that hollow you out and morph you into the perfect host), and I've been considering Dragons.

Here's the pitch:
>Dragons are plants. They grow hard, iron-like bark for scales, their muscles are coiled vines and water-rich masses, and their fiery breath is a weaponized expenditure of oxygen gas into the atmosphere. But they aren't so much like trees and flowers, so much as they are Weeds.
>Dragons are the most crossbred race in fantasy, besides Humans and Bards. Why is that? How is that? Pollen. Shitloads of pollen that starts rewriting reproductive DNA in every lifeform that gets a little too much of it.
>But it's not just humans. Hell, it isn't even exclusive to the animal kingdom. Whole farms start sprouting Dragons during harvest season. Forests start catching fire. Generations of half-dragons pop up here and there if no one is keeping an eye out.
>Alchemists always keep a batch of allergy medication on hand to snip such outbreaks in the bud. I hate myself for that pun.

After playing lots of Stellaris and listening to Warp Riders over and over, I've been wanting to create a DnD 5e Spelljammer setting inspired by Stellaris's FTL methods

In Stellaris, there are three standard FTL travel technologies: Hyperspace, Wormholes, and Warp. Stellaris's standard Hyperspace lane travel will be translated into the typical phlogiston Flowstreams, where the spaceship can enter into a limited set of routes into specific neighboring systems. Wormhole travel will be done through large portal-relay stations into the Astral Plane. Warp travel will be done through the Deep Ethereal by use of a Mattermatrix, a modification to the spelljamming helm of elven make, alongside ship modifications to render high-speed Deep travel possible

A long time ago, during the age of the earliest of the interstellar empires of antiquity, Warlocks and Clerics were somehow able to construct a system of pseudo-conduits called the Astral Highway, which can theoretically connect an Astral Relay to any other. Time and space are a bit wonky in the Astral, with the potential to leap great distances for a fraction of the time normally. Travel is safe (insofar as planar and interstellar politics allow it to be) as long as if you have a way to deal with the occasional githyanki highwaymen, demon, or aberration, and if the conduit-highway is stable (which, given their age, is difficult to predict)

The Mattermatrix was created by an ancient long-forgotten predecessor to the High Elven Command. According to Planescape's guide, you can will yourself to travel as fast as you want in the Deep Ethereal, the only problem being that once you reach a fast enough speed, your physical form begins to disintegrate into protomatter. The mattermatrix, alongside the necessary ship modifications, enable to Spelljammer to ensure the ship doesn't be annihilated.The HEC keeps the building of the Mattermatrix a guarded secret, and salvaged ships and copycats have the tendency to kill their owners

I made this map months ago and i feel like the more i look at it the more implausible it is. i guess it could just be a smaller part of the planet, but the more i think about it the more fucked the 50 mile squares seem. I dont know if thats reasonable distance for a dnd campaign. also the fools sea is a salt pan.

also a first time DM, pls no bully

How is Greater San Fransisco organized? Y'know, physically? If all the matter appeared in the same place, you'd just get a California-destroying explosion.

Is spatially warped and covered in a trillion weird shortcuts, so that people trying to navigate the city need to start thinking in five dimensions?

Did the layers appear on top of each other, vertically, leaving you with a massive impromptu arcology that looks like Kowloon had a three way with Trantor and Courascant?

>One sqaure

As a suggestion for map sizing, find a real-world map to scale against. State maps for regions, continent-sized maps of the US, Europe for larger areas. I find using a map of the eastern US (roughly from the east coast to the Mississippi) for sizing gives me an idea of both scale and temperature ranges. Because I'm familiar with the distances involved, I also get a better sense of travel time and town placement.

Depression doesn't work very well for a PC, but for an NPC it could work. It would be hard to pull it off.

Paranoia works well, delusions don't work as well.

I haven't played a game where specific mechanics for madness were used however. Could just run with a bonus to exp if they roleplay the insanity "well".
-
>goddess of rebellion, strength, defiance, mockery, freedom, new beginnings, unbreakable spirit

>God of [TITLE NOT COMPLETE]
>god of machinery, traps, webs, spiders, ruthlessness, pacts, order, law, bindings
>God of Chains

Rivers don't usually split that way, so you might want to remove the smaller streams that branch off.

The border between the desert and salt plains is way too clean, and the desert itself is pretty rectangular. Salt flats are evaporated seas so making the border more like a shoreline and not a straight line woild look better. What sort of storyhooks do you have in mind for the desert and salt pan?

Other than that, the map does the job and not bad for a first attempt.

Use hexes instead of squares, I find they make more sense when working out distances between locations. Pic related is for 1 hex = 6 miles, but you could easily just make it 1 hex = 60 miles.

Had to dig up the image, but i did the whole compare to a real world map thing a while ago, this is the rough comparison

There is actually a story reason for the mountain range and the split between the mire and the rest (blah blah blah leyline experiments at a leyline intersection where aesewyn rests, catastrophic destruction, unnatural shifts in geography, reset the world to zero, created new biomes, bullshit bullshit bullshit ripped from wheel of time). Like I said, first time DM, but there is a reason (probably not a good one) for unnaturalness!
Thanks either way though! I'll adjust the flats

ill probably end up doing that.
also here is a region map for where they'll be beginning.

Fuck, meant to post this when mentioning the comparison

No worries user, good luck with the game.

I actually hadn't thought about those guys. They would make a great mid-game threat. They are already separated from legitimate systems thus won't have as much of a shock, and have their own internal organization and resources. Yet they will have a massive amount of infighting as they have no global organization to answer to and the triads of multiple different universes will vie for supremacy and individuals will jostle for power, handicapping their ability to do anything major.

I had mostly started developing vaguely defined groups such as:
>The families that were the "Medici's" of their own reality and don't want to loose control
>Loose confederacy of police forces
>Nationalists who are in denial that the city isn't being ruled by Mexico/Japan/China/etc like in their own timelines including die-hard Americans. The mistaken hope that they will one day return to the ordered rule of Imperial Japan or some shit gives them an anchor inside the chaos.
>Small coalitions of people from realities where California remained a quiet backwater and would never have even seen a city of a 100,000 let alone millions upon millions. Group together so they don't get devoured by larger factions.
>Cults both of the weird but friendly hippy variety and the not so friendly
>Rumored entities inside the large clusters of buildings which nobody from any reality recognizes as theirs and were otherwise empty.

I'm also looking to develop more paranormal and out of context factions but I don't know how to make them interesting without just bullshitting.

I was originally thinking the layers option but having spacial distortion feels natural and would be a good way to get the ball moving on weirder aspects of the setting. Probably have more distortion the more conflict in mass there is, meaning less dense suburbs will just stack but dense areas like downtown's will have more spacial warping (assuming they were similarly situated most of the time).

Cities are almost always built near bodies of water. Why are most of yours not?

>make something that isn't a dragon
>call it a dragon
Why?

I figured if not building cities near bodies of water was good enough for most young adult fiction writers, it was good enough for my campaign.

Because fuck you, that's why.

More seriously, the setting is already very weird, and it features mostly unique races and stuff. But I like to throw in "familiar" things, or at least things which fulfill the same roles in a meta sense so my players can find some solid common footing. For instance, my "Vampires" are never called Vampires. They are Alucids (Alucard + Culicidae/ Mosquito), and while they drink blood and use vaguely psychic abilities to manipulate humans, they otherwise behave like an insect infestation.

Similarly, I want something to fill the void of Dragons (big, elemental, primal monsters with treasure). So I start with "Dragons, but-" and I slowly whittle down the first part until the second can stand on his own. I started with "Dragons, but they are an infectious organism", so I thought of weeds. I found it humorous when considering the huge number of Half-Dragon archetype bullshit from DND and thought to make it an in-joke.

Guess I'm not allowed to have fun around you, sorry.

Now has explained his reasons, but I'd like to defend the general idea of cities placed away from major bodies of water.

Cities need water, but that does not have to come from a river or large lake. Cisterns, aqueducts, resoviers, qanats, oases, natural springs and wells are all water sources that won't show up on a continental map. Food is perhaps the bigger obstacle, if a city wants to grow truly big then it needs access to food supplies beyond what the immediate area can supply (unless the locality is absurdly fertile). Transporting food by land gets expensive very quickly, so if you can travel by water feeding a city of many thousands becomes much easier. If even a tiny river can be used to float barges of grain then you are in business. Obviously cities can and often did form away from navigable rivers, lakes and seas but trade and food supply makes those locations attractive.

The other major point is to do with scale. Anons map is the size of the US, and global maps are frequently posted here. At 50 miles a square you simply can't show every navigable river, hill or other local feature. Even decent sized rivers with a large impact on trade won't show up on that scale, I live in a river port that was a major medieval tradepost, and on a individual level the river seems pretty big; look on a map of Europe or even a national map and it won't be there. On a map of western Europe you'll have the Rhine, Loire, Thames, Seine and Elbe, everything is too small to note at that scale.

This isn't a blanket excuse for lazy worldbuilding, but I do think /wbg/ is a little over zealous in the level of detail it wants from zoomed-out maps and how "missing" elements relates to the placement of other features and cities.

Not too bad.
Take my cult/god.
>Vayu the Breathless
>Sacrifices his own breath, so that his devotees, and to a lesser extent, all the others may breathe and survive. His devotees gain abilities like waterbreathing, or the ability to vacuum regions. Vayu does not covet worship, but does not tolerate betrayal. Those that leave his service, or betray his tenets find that for the rest of their lives they are breathless, permanently enffebled, and but a single gasp away from death.
>Vayu demands individualism, and his followers attempt to enforce that on others; they merchants and traders, and those that would upset the individualist spirit of regions.

polar ice bottles, duh

mate, that pun was so bad it almost killed the thread
don't do that again

bump

So, for a newbie world builder, what are the most crucial things to have for a world? I don't wanna overwhelm myself with dozens of unneccesary things.

depends on what you're trying to do. If you really just want a world for your players then that's what you need: the systems/structures and areas your players will encounter.

It depends on how far your players will have to travel: you don't need a world map if they're staying in a single country, and if that's the case you can pretty much put everything wherever you want, provided that you don't place different biomes too unrealistically close to each others.

Speaking of which, how do I evaluate the real scale of my map, keeping into account the world's curvature?

See, the issue is my players can be a titch unpredictable. They like going off the rails, and I enjoy it too. But that's why I'm unsure of what I need to really make, I'm not sure what stuff they'll poke. I'm doing a small, somewhat isolated region, and I know their favorite stuff to poke at is lore. So should I focus on the history, culture, and religion of the region? Are there other important things I'd be missing?

Setting Questions:
it did. I had a character named Saul that after his defeat isn't slain by the player, is allowed to disappear, and later goes mad. Unable to kill himself. He was attempting "suicide by player" you could argue he was the only one that wasn't mad; nobody else could see it, he was probably right actually.
Saul's issues generally played to his advantage, he generally let nothing get in the way of the core ideas and actions. sometimes he would sink into a deep madness, but he'd return from it generally enlightened and still relatively in control.
No, I do have bees that make you dehydrated. I feel like a creature that causes madness would need to be pretty insane, like an otherworldly impossibly powerful being such as yogg-saron or a medusa-like creature, both of which don't fit my setting.

Methodology Question:
You make the character that's mad pretty much sink so far into madness that they are relatively carefree like a child, but this is only due to them trying to shut out the madness entirely, trading one form of suicidal madness for another "who am I, where am I, my ears are full of gold!" madness. they know what they are but everyone else has no idea.

Meta Question:
No. Sanity isn't a good mechanic, I think insanity isn't really an end to anything, unless other dangers exist, there isn't a point where you "break", only where other mechanics find it easier to "break" you. it also only works in horror games where the universe is confined to like a house or something, somewhere confined.

>a humanoid. who? how? when? where? why?
>a body of water. what? how? when? where? why?
>a food source. what? how? when? where? why?

build up from there, the first one (a humanoid) will take you a few weeks alone to think of an idea that hasn't been beaten to death.

It's impossible to predict for certain what your players will do.

just write up like eight areas and interchange them.

Make it so they can't leave a country until they clear a certain quest: for example, from one side you got a big mountain range, and the other side has a magical barrier or whatever to keep them from exploring what's behind it.

I would focus on making the habitant of such tiny place "alive", and coherent with the landscape you choose.

Help me build Veeky Forums‘s world, yo

Why? Design by committee is always shit.

Sources of conflict the players can get involved with.

nah, too banal. also even they are not diametrically opposed, as paradoxical as it may be

sorry, doesn't fit the spirit of my setting, nor do my gods works like that. nice idea though.

here's new and fuller list. I decided to go for twelve.
here are male ones

>God of Stone and Iron Shaped
>God of crafts and industry, weapons, architecture, home, formal (non-magical) medicine, alchemy, mastery, wealth earned through diligence.
>May have created the dwarves. Or maybe not.

>God of Fire Devouring And Lifegiving
God of life, death, rebirth, cycles, fire, sun, purity.
Currently sleeping after almost dying a millenia ago, leading to rise in undead activity (whom he hates), while his fiery spirits have been usurped by demons.

>God of Grasping Thorns
>God of machinery, traps, webs, spiders, ruthlessness, pacts, order, law, bindings, retribution, thorns and brambles.

>God of Light In The Cold Dark
>God of hearth, poetry, myths, history, prophecy, wisdom, winter, forgiveness, moon, relief, guidance, small hope amid big hardship.

>God of Weeping Shadows
>God of things lost, hidden, forgotten, buried, of secrets, illusions, lies, diplomacy, tactics & strategy, grief.

>God of Long Night Endured
>God of trial, challenge, hardships, reward, long fervent hope, dawn after long night, valour, honour, courage, splendour, wealth earned through daring.
(I don't really like this one, but I have no better ideas. If anyone has any idea how to improve him, I'm all eyes.)

Same guy as here
Setting Questions:
>Does sanity impact your setting in any way? (In the Mad King / Bohemian Artist sense not the "I have Manic Depression and thus no worldbuilding schedule" sense)
Sanity will play a role due to anomolous happenings, but it takes a back seat to the similar but much more important "morale".
>Is the affliction related in any way to a person's inherent ability? (Immense divinitive power would be the tropey example.)
In the sense that there are a class of people reffered to as "void drifters" who essentially gave up on everything and have embraced the anomolous nature of the city. They almost solely inhabit out of the way spacial warps and pocket dimensions. They seem to have a natural affinity for the new world and even seem to be able to use anomoly's to their advantage. This comes at the cost of being emotionally dead neets who's sanity is questionable.
The UC Berkeley campus is a complete no go zone. The handful of broken expedition survivors only mention that it's "full of violets" and that "if you can see the violets, they can see you"

Meta Question:
I will have a system for the aforementioned "morale" with sanity being a subset. Things like becoming lost, loosing track of people from your group/party/family, not eating, and shit getting too bizarre. You will have to keep your character from considering suicide a viable alternative to persisting.

>perfectly even quadrant countries
>bridge at headwaters
>no roads
>minimum details
>lots of negative space

bad/5

I'm guessing you've never been to any of those places.

here are female ones

>Goddess of rebellion, strength, defiance, mockery, freedom, new beginnings, unbreakable spirit, locks picked or broken, healing of those on the brink of death.
>Created/uplifted of humans.

>Goddess of Blood That Nourishes The Earth
>Goddess of war, murder, hunt, harvest, growth, sacrifice, earth, snakes.
>Actually crushed the general of the armies of Hell (that's a being if pretty much godlike power) in single combat and assumed command over his demonic hordes, but does nothing to stop them, 'cos she doesn't care who fight who. But she ensures they mainly go for the strongest kingdoms, to ensure more and bloodier fighting.
>Doesn't care about honor or strategy.
>Hates vampires (hogging all blood...)

>Goddess of Tempest In Heart And Sky
>Goddess of love, fury, hatred, passion, sea, storms, thunder, revenge.

>Goddess of the Wide-Eyed Gaze
>Goddess of beauty, learning, pursuit of knowledge, perception, curiosity, secrets, art.

>Goddess With Feet Scarred And Roadworn
>Goddess of childbirth, travel, roads and paths, doors, guidance, friendship, time, farevels, loss and inevitability.

>Goddess of Uniyelding Hands That Hold
>Goddess of peace, prosperity, survival, jealousy, endurance, greed, walls, locks, patron of watchmen and shepherds.
(Kinda boring, could use improvement too. Was goddess of peace, prosperity and COWARDICE in first draft, but that was even more boring)

About gods in general:
They embody their concepts - without them those would go out of control, hard.
They don't need prayer.
They can make mortal avatars and birth demigods.
They actively answer prayers and can intervene in mortal world.
They are omnipresent (whether their influence extends over Faerie, Delirie and Hell, and how deep does it extend underground, is debatable) and immaterial.
They probably can be killed, but that has never happened. Once in recent history a god was beaten, he's still alive, sleeping and recovering.

>tfw my world is dime shaped

it's fine for a campaign

salt pan probably should not be on ocean directly

move river at crownpoint to start near passage, not as a second exit from lake

make 24 mile hexes

needs roads and trade routes

I like it. If you want a perfect 1:1 scale earth you're never going to start the game.

Is it supposed to look like a terrasque?

It doesnt look like its a second exit for the lake, it looks like its starting in the mountains and draining to the lake

Just made a thread on this, but I figured you guys might be interested in this tool.

worldanvil.com

It basically makes a setting bible for you, and the dev is super open about getting new functionality added.

Been meaning to check this out more thouroughly, it's been sitting on my bookmarks bar for like 2 weeks now.

I want skelingtons in Space
Does anybody suggest any source material?

>have to jump through hoops to get a private world
Oh well, it seemed neat but I'm not going to pay money for privacy when I can just use my own stuff and still have privacy.

>It doesnt look like its a second exit for the lak

the one under the R in CROWPOINT?

I'll just use a copy of Civ V if I want all that

>redhead anne hathaway
>I'm into it
>she talks
>NOPE.jpg

>sanity ?
Somewhat, some things that sanity would usually do are replaced by a score called soul. If sanity falls to zero, you are insane, if soul falls to zero, you are effectively humanity-0 (humanity as in the White Wolf stat).

>affliction ?

A person who has sanity 0 has no defense whatsoever against the Oblivious and Eldritch Powers, either one of which can act through them, or kill them, or teleport them, any time any place.

>creatures/places ?
Yes. Some creatures absorb or steal sanity or soul, and getting an up close look at either the Oblivious Powers or the Eldritch Powers would result in utter mind obliteration, OP's because they are insanity inducingly complicated, EP's because they are insanity inducingly horrifying.

>Methodology ?
Except when caused by magic, psychic attack, curses, or severe trauma, madness, true madness, is rare.

>Meta ?
Yes, but it's hidden from the players, though sometimes privately disclosed to a player who's sanity is getting dangerously low.

A large number of creatures (set to expire, 1 month)
pastebin.com/6G9uBaPw

Just to be clear, the Oblivious and Eldritch powers are similar to the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones, but they are not those beings (though those beings could be qualified as oblivious or eldritch powers).

Oblivious powers are the powers that drive the universe forward, the grinding, ineffable, blind, titanic forces that don't require and seldom answer to worship, they are totally indifferent, and exert their power over a universe by simply existing in it, feeling neither attachment nor detachment, and beaming all thought out of themselves as aimless telepathy. Oblivious powers do have minions, but these minions simply act on telepathy received from oblivious powers, there is no thinking involved. Oblivious powers respond to worship so seldom that there is a less than 1% chance of them responding in the lifespan of your entire world's history. As a result, few Oblivious Powers names are known.

Eldritch powers represent forces that are still very alien to our universe, (usually), but not so alien as the oblivious powers. Eldritch powers have thoughts, have goals, have feelings and attachments, they give their minions direct orders and minions consciously respond to these orders. Some of them answer worship enough that we know their names.

Some universes have difficulty functioning without the eldritch powers, no universes anywhere could function without the oblivious powers, if even one of the OP's died or exited the universe would instantly start falling apart, whereas a universe might only just steadily decline to nothing over the course of an eldritch power's absence, rather than instantly fail.

Rate my WIP map?

Needs more tiny islands and some areas of the sea that are much deeper than others.

alien microbes and angry spirits

Uncounted ron paul ballots. Also Shoggoths and Nazis.

What sort of pets exist in your setting?

kots

TELL ME MORE.

First of all, fuck you /wbg/, I just wanted to draw some maps, I didn't want to care about such things until I came here. Fuck you.

Second, I have a problem with ocean currents.
Can two currents (warm and cold) intersect?
Can two currents collide?

I like this. How do they interact with the environment/nature? How is a dragon killed? How big do they grow? Do they fly?

In the other hand, my still wip region map. How can i make it better?

they can apparently. see Hatteras, over in the atlantic. I'm by no means an expert, however.

Rivers don't split, and have them reach the sea.